Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
It looks like it's melting. No one should be excited or proud of it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Mirificus posted:

It looks like it's melting. No one should be excited or proud of it.

Look at their posts. full of enthusiasm and excitement and "my silver package model better be different than the pleb green poo poo one."

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Remember, American companies simply cannot produce the quality product they're looking for here

Also that thing looks like a pile of poo poo that was left out in the sun

Yup. "chinese sculpted turd is best turd" - confusious?

ether
May 20, 2001

Man, this looks like its printed with the worst calibrated 3d printer ever. How can you unironically post something like that online.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I loving love my cat.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

adorbs

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I've seen better quality castings come out of Kinder Surprise knockoffs.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

i guess i'll be the first to say it looks ok??? although it does look like one of those things you're supposed to soak in water then it grows to ten times its budgetsize

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Let me remind you that in March of 99 you would sure as poo poo fall out of the goddamn boat in EQ and lose all your poo poo to sharks horribly. I mean they basically fixed it by april of 99 - as long as you didn't sit down on the boat and it wasn't even a SHIP based game so I have no worries here.

Ignore the imbeciles CIG will have better faster (not clipping the gently caress out into space) multi player ship mechanics than EQ did in 99 any day now.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

I loving love my cat.

That facial expression of hers looks truly...goony! Like the definition of a :smuggo: cat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

assuming it's one of those erasers that you always got when you were 10 that looked super cool but only ever left smears of graphite all over your paper instead of actually erasing, that's not half bad

assuming it's supposed to be anything better than that, that looks like poo poo

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

They actually think it looks good.
Honestly there is no size reference but to me it looks barely better than one of the models for a board game like Star Wars Risk or Galaxy of Tryan, and those are about 2 cm (.75") long.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Some pretty nasty jpeg:ed posterisation of what is supposed to be a near-solid white.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

They actually think it looks good.
Honestly there is no size reference but to me it looks barely better than one of the models for a board game like Star Wars Risk or Galaxy of Tryan, and those are about 2 cm (.75") long.

Sandi said, "3" Constellation Model Prototype for the Collectors Boxes!"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Amun Khonsu posted:

Sandi said, "3" Constellation Model Prototype for the Collectors Boxes!"

Getting the Collectors Boxes ready before the game is even close to being finished, true to CIG form.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

You know, if they made that out of soap, it would feel natural washing my rear end with it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

I loving love my cat.

Is your cat wearing makeup ?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Omi-Polari posted:

Iain M. Banks is/was the best science fiction writer.

Sadly, was. He no longer is.

Also, to whoever recommended Redline, thank you. And drat you, I want an XGRA movie now...

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sappo569 posted:

Is your cat wearing makeup ?

She just naturally looks this amazing. Also I found CIGs espresso machine in Fallout4.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Robert cop and Dead Parents Hero are better constructed than that garbage ship

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Raskolnikov posted:

She just naturally looks this amazing. Also I found CIGs espresso machine in Fallout4.

GOTY

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I'm excited for when Croberts finds out that all the "money guys" who were promising great things in return for the cash from 'donations' didn't pay any of that to the tax man and he goes to jail for a very long time.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Raskolnikov posted:

Funny, I was watching a video that had that earlier but didnt really see that.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I've seen a lot of 3d printed stuff in the past few years.
This is completely bollocks.

The Euro/Asian markets for 3d printing are miles ahead of this. Whatever it is.
Russian and polish printers are putting out much higher quality stuff than this.
And probably at a cheaper price, to boot.
Citizens, your pledge dollars at "work".

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
This is on the same PC btw

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I think there may be goons at Bethesda.

Also, are we sure it's a crappy 3d printer, or a terrible 3d model that they gave them?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
what is that actually 3d printed then the better question is why the poo poo you would 3d print a ton of lovely individual miniatures which could be made faster + cheaper + better by just casting them in resin

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Goddamit, Bethesda! You're not supposed to rope me into playing Fallout 4 "just" yet with snarky Star Citizen drama references!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

CrazyLoon posted:

Goddamit, Bethesda! You're not supposed to rope me into playing Fallout 4 "just" yet with snarky Star Citizen drama references!

Are you sure it's a SC reference? Robco Industries has been in the Fallout series since the beginning.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sincx posted:

Are you sure it's a SC reference? Robco Industries has been in the Fallout series since the beginning.

And Chris has been incompetent just as long :v:

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've seen a lot of plastic miniatures over the years, and that one in the picture reeks of (bad) 3d printing.
It could just be a terrible picture (and thus, really bad quality plastic), but either way, from what we can see, the detail is worse than it could be, and apparently is going to require people to know how to paint their miniatures.
It doesn't help that they already made a bunch of constellation minis which were sold through the store, so you'd think they'd have learned from that, but I guess not?

Ayn Randi posted:

what is that actually 3d printed then the better question is why the poo poo you would 3d print a ton of lovely individual miniatures which could be made faster + cheaper + better by just casting them in resin

Depends on the source.
With resin, they'll need an original sculpt, then a mold has to be cast, and then they need to actually get it cast with a reasonable material.
The question of "would it be better in resin" depends on them having someone who can provide a good, well detailed (slightly over-emphasized, to make sure the detail remains nice and clear after the mold is made) base model to work with. Their track record speaks very loudly as to how well this will work.
Next up is the question of price - and I'm betting they'll figure the above process will cost more than just ordering a budget 3d print of the model.
As to faster, again that depends on the source.
Plus as to resin, it depends which type. If you're talking the kind of stuff GW now uses for the character models or Forge World stuff, then that's pretty fragile stuff, and easily smashed, if you hit it "right". On the other hand, the classic grey/blue plastic we see in standard GW boxes (also in Warmachine stuff - although that material is slightly more fragile than GW's stuff) is more likely to survive a solid beating, so if we wanted something that could survive handling by anyone at CIG, or the inevitable postage from China, then you'd really want to go this way - sacrifice the slightest amount of comparative detail for something that will actually arrive in piece and still not look like poo poo.
But again, if we assume CIG is low on funds, I can bet you anything they'll never pick this route. Even though it would result in a product with something approaching actual quality.

With 3d printing, you just need the 3d model (with their art department they probably figured they had plenty for this sort of work), and then someone with the requisite printer/materials to do the job. To CIG this will look like it's the easier ("better") option.
At that point you can get some pretty cheap 3d printed stuff, if you know where to shop.
The thing is, you can go for cheap, good quality, done quick, and high detail. I think this is (for now) a situation where you end up picking two.
It looks like they've picked two, and I don't think one of them will be quality unless they find a better printer, or go for the resin option, and get a decent base sculpt to make the mold with (they probably won't do this, based on the current track record).

I mean, we could live in hope that this is "just" an early sculpt/print and not at all representative of the final product. In any way.

EDIT: there's some commentary on the FB thread (plus the listing that Sandi posted) in regards how it's a "prototype".
Prototypes like that are either a test of the 3d printing, or to be used as the base model for the mold.
If that's a test of the 3d printing, they need their money back.
If that's going to be used as the base sculpt for the mold, then :laffo:

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 11, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ShredsYouSay posted:

I think there may be goons at Bethesda.

Also, are we sure it's a crappy 3d printer, or a terrible 3d model that they gave them?

Yeah there are. There is another gun named after one of the subforums, like in any other game.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And Chris has been incompetent just as long :v:

Well said.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah there are. There is another gun named after one of the subforums, like in any other game.

What gun name is that? I am guessing "ADTRW-Blaster"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hopper posted:

What gun name is that? I am guessing "ADTRW-Blaster"

I have not found it yet but probably something along those lines.

Photosyphilis
Jul 17, 2014

Science rules!

duckfarts posted:

it does look like one of those things you're supposed to soak in water then it grows to ten times its budgetsize

:lol:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
There's a helmet flip in FO4. I don't know if it's a direct reference, but bloody bravo if it is.

The SA hat tip is the YCS/186 blaster, that's NV though. And the four balls, etc.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

duckfarts posted:

i guess i'll be the first to say it looks ok??? although it does look like one of those things you're supposed to soak in water then it grows to ten times its budgetsize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

D_Smart posted:

Sorry, that's just not true. Only games with triple-A budgets even bother with MoCap now. In fact, animation tech have progressed so much better now that you only really need MoCap if you're depending on fluid natural movement which simply can't be done with an animation engine.

SC is a triple AAA production and you just repeated and confirmed what he said, dumbass.

• Locked thread