Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
I read the Mozillazine forums. They get pretty mad when the slightest thing changes so one of them had posted it there already. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fapos posted:

I read the Mozillazine forums. They get pretty mad when the slightest thing changes so one of them had posted it there already. :D

The solution I found there disables suggestions entirely.

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled
After updating to 42, I can no longer drag tabs to my other monitor to spawn a new window, does anyone know if this was an actual change, or is it just one of my addons being difficult?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

What's the least bleeding edge way to get e10s and 64bit right now?

This is for my GF's Bay Trial tablet which runs like poo poo since switching from Waterfox 40 to FFx64 42. She's tech kryptonite at the best of times, so don't want to run nightlies if possible.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

argus tuft posted:

After updating to 42, I can no longer drag tabs to my other monitor to spawn a new window, does anyone know if this was an actual change, or is it just one of my addons being difficult?

I only have one monitor, but testing it on a non-maximized window under Windows 7, it works just fine for me.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Lum posted:

What's the least bleeding edge way to get e10s and 64bit right now?

This is for my GF's Bay Trial tablet which runs like poo poo since switching from Waterfox 40 to FFx64 42. She's tech kryptonite at the best of times, so don't want to run nightlies if possible.

Developer Edition. Electrolysis still has a ways to go before it's ready for beta.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I disabled and re-enabled "Play DRM Content" to make sure the "Primetime Content Decryption Module" got installed, disabled Silverlight, and restarted Firefox, but Netflix still isn't working. (Even with Silverlight enabled it hasn't been working for a while now.)

Help?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I switched to 64-bit, but now "open this link in itunes" doesn't work anymore. It's just a redirect to the iTunes download page. Any way to restore the old behaviour?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mike12345 posted:

I switched to 64-bit, but now "open this link in itunes" doesn't work anymore. It's just a redirect to the iTunes download page. Any way to restore the old behaviour?

Go back to 32-bit Firefox.

When Mozilla said they were killing plugins*, they weren't loving around.

*Except Flash Player, because apparently alienating the Facebook and Newgrounds gaming crowds is something that Just Cannot Happen

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Go back to 32-bit Firefox.

When Mozilla said they were killing plugins*, they weren't loving around.

*Except Flash Player, because apparently alienating the Facebook and Newgrounds gaming crowds is something that Just Cannot Happen

I don't understand. Isn't "open link in itunes" basically just a link? I wasn't even aware it was a plugin.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mike12345 posted:

I don't understand. Isn't "open link in itunes" basically just a link? I wasn't even aware it was a plugin.

Apple's web site wants to detect whether you have iTunes before kicking the page to it. There's no standard way to do this (I'm not sure if sandboxing really allows for it) so it needs a plugin to break out of the browser. If it can't it assumes you don't have iTunes.

v v v I... guess? They could do a protocol-association thing but I guess it's hard to make clear to the lowest-expected-competence user that they don't have iTunes that way. This is actually kind of a difficult problem for supporting not-Mac users.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 11, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So, be mad at Apple then?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

m2pt5 posted:

I disabled and re-enabled "Play DRM Content" to make sure the "Primetime Content Decryption Module" got installed, disabled Silverlight, and restarted Firefox, but Netflix still isn't working. (Even with Silverlight enabled it hasn't been working for a while now.)

Help?

I've had a nightmare with all silverlight players on windows recently - the latest version is very picky about graphics drivers, and just gives an error code on Sky Go for me at present on my Lenovo laptop, in all browsers.

Haven't tried Netflix, but I'd be surprised if the cause wasn't the same.

Try updating drivers from the manufactrurer page (intel, Nvidia, AMD).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mike12345 posted:

To open and perform actions in an external program based on activity in the web browser is clearly something that is not allowed or possible without a plugin.

The only exception to that is email links.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
Is there a way to get Hangouts conference calls working in the 64-bit Firefox build? Or is my only option to wait until Google converts it to HTML5?

argus tuft
Oct 7, 2007
Frankly, sir, we in the Police Force are just plain baffled

Avenging Dentist posted:

I only have one monitor, but testing it on a non-maximized window under Windows 7, it works just fine for me.

Thanks, guess its an addon / addons conflicting then.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nev posted:

Is there a way to get Hangouts conference calls working in the 64-bit Firefox build? Or is my only option to wait until Google converts it to HTML5?

Has firefox dropped ppapi support? If so you're boned until they complete support for webrtc. It's a similar story for edge. x86/x64 shouldn't matter.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

x86/x64 shouldn't matter.

It totally does, because NPAPI is disabled on x64 for everything but Flash.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dpbjinc posted:

Developer Edition. Electrolysis still has a ways to go before it's ready for beta.

Yeah, right now it feels even jankier than running the release edition... experiment failed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Has firefox dropped ppapi support? If so you're boned until they complete support for webrtc. It's a similar story for edge. x86/x64 shouldn't matter.

Firefox never supported PPAPI. 32-bit has the same plugin support it has always had, but 64-bit does not and will not support NPAPI plugins other than Flash. Don't count on plugin support hanging around for 32-bit, either.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Firefox iOS launched to-day

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/firefox-finally-comes-to-ios/

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/firefox-web-browser/id989804926?mt=8

It's just another WebKit wrapper, with no extensions, but importantly and obviously has Sync support.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

argus tuft posted:

I could still do it here with 42 and Tab Mix Plus.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
It's finally happening for real :cry:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tab-groups-removal

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Good riddance. I never understood how they meant you to use it and only got annoyed with it when I inevitably accidentally banished some tabs to tab group limbo while working on a report.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Firefox for iOS is so incredibly bare bones.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

I've been feeling left out because all their changes and cuts were things I never used but now I can join in on the grousing. I knew this was coming because I'm sure no one else uses it but tab groups are a great tool. I liked it much better than Tree Style Tabs and all those heavy extensions.

Geemer posted:

Good riddance. I never understood how they meant you to use it and only got annoyed with it when I inevitably accidentally banished some tabs to tab group limbo while working on a report.

Get this: you put tabs into groups. Then you don't have 10 billion tabs open at the same time.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alec Eiffel posted:

Firefox for iOS is so incredibly bare bones.

Apple's rules for iOS "alternate browsers" don't allow it to do much.

The Milkman posted:

I've been feeling left out because all their changes and cuts were things I never used but now I can join in on the grousing. I knew this was coming because I'm sure no one else uses it but tab groups are a great tool. I liked it much better than Tree Style Tabs and all those heavy extensions.

I've never gotten what they provide that simply having other tabs in a minimized window doesn't handle.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Nintendo Kid posted:

Apple's rules for iOS "alternate browsers" don't allow it to do much.

I've never gotten what they provide that simply having other tabs in a minimized window doesn't handle.

That sort of works on Windows (7+) where having multiple windows doesn't clutter the task bar, less so on OS X. Panorama you could see everything in one window and drag them between groups super easily, plus label the workspaces and organize them spatially.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Well gently caress. What addons can replace tab groups acceptably?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

If there is one, they'll probably kill support for whatever functionality it relies on. I thought they said they were going to break it out into an addon themselves, but it's very possible I'm misremembering.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Bieeardo posted:

If there is one, they'll probably kill support for whatever functionality it relies on. I thought they said they were going to break it out into an addon themselves, but it's very possible I'm misremembering.

They did say that, at one point. I doubt they'll even bother to do that at this point though.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Desuwa posted:

Try this.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Bieeardo posted:

The plan was to convert it into an addon when they were going to remove it in 2013 in this bug but not now.

For alternatives, you can try looking at Tree Style Tab, Pale Moon Tab Groups, or Tab Groups at GitHub.

The removal patches haven't landed yet, so I'd start looking closer to the release of Firefox 45.0.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I don't use the functionality much any more, but I still like it, and like having it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:ughh:

I dropped Opera because they hosed it up and removed all sorts of customization and convenience. I'm glad that Firefox is happily tanking their utility, I guess browser companies won't be happy until everything's at the simplest common denominator. Why am I not using Chrome again..?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Asimo posted:

I dropped Opera because they hosed it up and removed all sorts of customization and convenience. I'm glad that Firefox is happily tanking their utility, I guess browser companies won't be happy until everything's at the simplest common denominator. Why am I not using Chrome again..?
because chrome is bad

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Asimo posted:

The simplest common denominator would be IOS. Now that is a scary thought.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Chrome explicitly targets the core use cases of a browser and leaves the long tail of power users and people with other wants to other browsers.

And the other browsers explicitly target Chrome.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chrome's number one design goal is to generate more Google search queries and their omnibox is complete garbage as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
My least favorite part of the omnibox is when I'm typing something to find in my history, like "phrase", and it goes:

"phr"
[suggests right thing, but i am still typing]
"phra"
[i hit enter, but suddenly it is suggesting a google search]

where if I hit backspace (or sometimes keep typing) it goes back to suggesting the history item. So with Chrome I have to be careful/slow, which is annoying.