Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
##vote merk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
i havent read the last 140 posts what have i missed

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HiipFire posted:

i havent read the last 140 posts what have i missed

merk posted:

Call me on my cell phone

merk posted:

I haven't read. The. Thread.

merk posted:

Call me on my cell phone

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
well you should call him you idiot drat

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will actually try to read today in a few hours. Sorry for not participating yet.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kat Delacour posted:

We still have like 24 hours of this poo poo don't we?

Can I ask the same question Auspol got asked, tell us about non-auspol mafia players. I do like the meta play because it puts potentially weird stuff into context, like people who go missing and lurking is a problem but then you're like Oh hey they have a baby or Oh hey they have a new job

Kat Delacour posted:

I don't know if there is a meta friendship here but I want to draw an attention to why did Quidnose got namedropped and AnonymousNarcotics with significantly fewer posts got ignored.

The postcount server is hosed though so we're all probably making really haphazard attempts at pretending we know who is lurking anyway. Plus I don't think lurking D1 means anything.

Kat's first post caused me to raise an eyebrow when I read it initially. Looking over Kat as a whole, these two posts stand out. These don't actually get us anywhere closer to finding scum nor do they give an opinion about any player. He's posting with things that make it look like he's scum hunting without actually scum hunting.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

There that Merk guy goes again! What a whacky fellow.

Anyway I have some thoughts:

Kat's first post caused me to raise an eyebrow when I read it initially. Looking over Kat as a whole, these two posts stand out. These don't actually get us anywhere closer to finding scum nor do they give an opinion about any player. He's posting with things that make it look like he's scum hunting without actually scum hunting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Podima posted:

Auspol people: I've never played with any of you (I don't think) and I don't lurk-spectate any of your games. Please tell me one important thing I should be aware of about another Auspol person in this game.

I generally find it scummy to ask for players to do something and then never follow up on it. Did anyone respond?

Podima posted:

To briefly and succinctly explain myself because it was a bad post:

- I think SSV's earlier post and reactions to people probing him over it were notable.
- I think Merk's absence/forgetting about the game when he tends to pride himself on his Mafia gameplay is notable.

I would vote for either of them. I phrased my post poorly by saying one thing and voting another.

Hopefully that makes more sense!

This post doesn't get us anywhere. Although he gives an opinion, he doesn't make a vote nor does he persuasively push either candidate.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

##vote ssv

Imgay is weird too, feels forced with setup spec

Do you still feel this way?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The Kat vote is pretty good for d1. I'll revote again on this page to make that clear: ##vote Kat

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Merk, what do you think of Vimes?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Merk seems okay having come back ##vote MMG

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Merk, what do you think of Vimes?

I nailed him as scum in the Archer game and am not getting the same vibes here. The Archer case was based off of his casework and misrepresentations though, and he hasn't had an opportunity to make a real case yet.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think he plays a good scum game. He isn't the type of player you're going to actually catch d1 with a case that has any merit. Any votes on him right now I don't think are good votes, which is why I asked Taste if he still believed in that vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
After mislynching Ecco in a recent game, I went back and tried to figure out what went wrong. I've come to the realization that there is this group of players who play "fine" on day 1 as scum except in situations where they are lazy. That is, their content isn't going to look fake.

Ecco is one of those players. When I voted him in that game it was based off of not real scum tells (i.e. tone, use of weasel words, etc.) rather than the only scum tell that matters (fake content).

I think Vimes is one of those players. Any case on him right now is probably not a good one.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I agree with Merk re: SSV

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If you're going to catch someone on d1, you catch them because they are faking like they are scum hunting with zero flips available for you that help make that call. It's a really hard thing to find as town and a fairly easy thing to fake as scum.

If you catch someone on d1 with a real case, you catch someone making a mistake or being lazy in faking content. I think Kat is making a mistake by talking about things that aren't scum hunting while making it look like he's actually scum hunting. Podima is in the lazy category.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

You're right, I mixed Sam up with somebody else and thought there was a weird tone shift. I was mistaken.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

If you're going to catch someone on d1, you catch them because they are faking like they are scum hunting with zero flips available for you that help make that call. It's a really hard thing to find as town and a fairly easy thing to fake as scum.

Like, for example, you could link me a random thread on these forums (not even a mafia game), tell me I'm scum and the thread is a mafia thread, and I could come up with an argument to lynch a poster in that thread that you would think sounds mafia genuine.

ninja: Not tooting my own horn or anything. I just want to highlight that it's really easy to fake content on d1. If you're building a big and strong case on someone d1, especially someone who has been scum a hundred times, it's probably a bad case. I'm now trying to play d1 differently with this realization in mind.

After writing this all out, I'm not sure what any of it means. But there you have my thought process.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
...and as a final GENERAL MAFIA NOTE: That doesn't mean you get to skip d1. You can't take the JoseV approach. D1 (as even he would agree) is very important to a mafia game in later days. The content you're required to create from nothing now gives create insight into your alignment later on. If you're a player who takes a backseat d1 because you don't think quality cases can be made, you're going against the town win condition.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Actually, good idea. Don't want any people in other timezones starting a train off of one of my joke votes. ##unvote

Morning all, I'll ease off on the joke votes if that eases people's minds.

Comes across as self conscious to me, has added no real content to d1 at all and is mostly whitenoise. Even post "joke votes," MMG has offered nothing of any value.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kashuno posted:

Comes across as self conscious to me, has added no real content to d1 at all and is mostly whitenoise. Even post "joke votes," MMG has offered nothing of any value.

What do you think of Kat? I feel like my Kat vote is much better than your MMG vote.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I could get behind Kat as well; my problem with MMG comes from throwing votes everywhere, and then his first post after "No more jokes" is:

Nobody, and I mean nobody, calls me coward

##vote EXAKT

A joke vote.

He then returns to jokephase stuff, but tries to act like he is actually thinking with this:

Hey Mafia game room peeps, you're all more experienced than me I'm sure so what are we meant to go on on Day 1 aside from meta and joke votes? It seems the easiest way for scum to slide through on Day 1 is to lurk, especially since the post count function is broken.

Furthermore, his most realistic contribution comes with this post:

Kash's vote on me seemed pretty suss, especially since I'd implied I was out of the thread until the morning. Podima falls into this case too, but Kashuno pushed harder.

And yet, even with finding me sus, MMG doesn't move their vote from a jokevote to me. That's weird.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
man I liked it when auspol games just ended up pushing xenophobic lynches like 5 minutes before the deadline instead of this actually scumhunting thing

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So was that a voice-to-text goof or something, merk? ##unvote

merk posted:

I generally find it scummy to ask for players to do something and then never follow up on it. Did anyone respond?

i generally got a slew of 'lol meta reads are dumb' responses, though two people's replies were notable.

Chic Trombone me-too'd onto the request and then doubled down on it when Kash challenged him:

Chic Trombone posted:

I mean yeah they could lie, but we gotta start somewhere re: getting to know each other's metas

Birdstrike gave a solid effortpost and included his own scumtells, which I find to be a pretty townie move:

Birdstrike posted:

My hot takes on Auspol for the foreigners:

• Bifauxnen as either alignment will be highly analytical, also tends to get drawn into arguments which go nowhere with players not in this game. Takes a kind of spiteful tone when under pressure as scum.

• Hiip has earned honorary status by persisting through a couple of xenophobic policy lynches. Doesn't post much regardless of alignment but fun to have around.

• iajanus might not know how action tags work ;)

• Kat tends to be a combative town and more calm as scum.

• I don't think I've seen Kommando as scum, but he can be hard to understand.

• MMG is behaving similarly to D1 of my just finished game where he was town, which is why I'm not voting him

• thatbastardken might move around a lot and take some different positions. As town he won't worry about it, as scum he might paint himself into a corner.

• My scum tells that I recognise are hovering over a thread and not getting stuck in because I'm watching my words, and not interacting with scumbros.

bowmore and f_v I think you might have played with? Also f_v eats babies.

Chic has been mostly posting a lot about not playing and taking easy shots at people (poked me for voting merk when he/she already had a jokevote on merk), which I don't like.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It clearly doesn't bother you that much, since you aren't putting a vote behind your scumread.

Would vote Podima, but still like MMG right now.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

It clearly doesn't bother you that much, since you aren't putting a vote behind your scumread.

Would vote Podima, but still like MMG right now.

Maybe this is something I don't get about the ~SA Mafia Meta~ but is it really that important to slam a vote down with every post/read on d1? If so, then ##vote Chic Trombone to back up my read. Would also vote MMG.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Tommunist posted:

So AnonymousNarcotics has made one real actual post in this game:

No vote, just a accusation/comment on my post (which was a joke post).

i ask questions about this post

And AnonNarc doesn't respond, and hasn't said anything in the game at large.

This sort of drive by accusations along with the lurking/non-willingness to engage with me feels scummy

##vote AnonymousNarcotics

It wasn't a non willingness to engage with you as much as just being lazy. And yes, lurking, I'll admit it.

Looking back, I can see the joking intentions. I still don't think SSV is necessarily scum for responding to the accusations though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Maybe this is something I don't get about the ~SA Mafia Meta~ but is it really that important to slam a vote down with every post/read on d1? If so, then ##vote Chic Trombone to back up my read. Would also vote MMG.

you portrayed someone as the person you find scummy at the moment, but don't vote them. It's not like you had a case on someone else, or an interest in going after anyone else, you just didn't vote.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

bowmore posted:

merk posted:

I forgot about this game.
same

And he hasn't posted since.

##vote bowmore

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

bowmore posted:

merk posted:

I forgot about this game.
same

Fixed the formatting. I hope. Can't preview on the app.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
gently caress. Forget it. You get the idea.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Kashuno posted:

I could get behind Kat as well; my problem with MMG comes from throwing votes everywhere, and then his first post after "No more jokes" is:

A joke vote.

What you're missing here is that in between those two posts was

And

Bifauxnen posted:

No way give us more

##vote MMG

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
MMG could be scum, sure. I have no idea. But your case is based on a false premise.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps that point is disproven by that (I don't agree that it is, if you wanted to joke post less just do it), but I still feel confident re: not moving off his jokevote to someone he finds sus

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

What does everyone think about EXAKT dropping a mega-easy vote on me, poking the bear, and then disappearing completely? Shady~

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Hi I have some time now, what's happening thread

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Podima posted:

I mean it'd have been one thing if you had a vote on a strong read on someone else, but why call someone out as scum if you aren't willing to vote them? It's weird and hedge-y

(also it is she ty podima)

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Quidnose posted:

What does everyone think about EXAKT dropping a mega-easy vote on me, poking the bear, and then disappearing completely? Shady~

Not a fan of the vote itself, it felt like he was trying to look like he was scumhunting while actually not scumhunting at all.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Quidnose posted:

Hey Quid, I had to sleep and work :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
What was really pinging me about Quid was the way he dropped in and felt almost smug about not reading the thread. It irked me when we have people lurking and and people who are contributing a lot, and then Quid who was coming in and not contributing but making a big show of it. Unfortunately, I'm not in office today, so I'm not going to be around between now and deadline. Since Quid showed up and actually started contributing a bit, I'd much rather go back to voting Podima, because I feelt aht's a stronger case right now.

##vote Podima

• Locked thread