Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Bowl posted:

She wears it on her sleeve and indie kids are mostly smug as gently caress.. Especially about Nu Metal.

:smug:

If there is one thing that should unite both people and nations across the globe, it should be an overwhelming distaste for NuMetal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Grimes will be as "controversial" and "polarizing" as, say, Sleigh Bells. So, have fun with her for another year or year.5, and that's pretty much it :-/

She could also have a career like Janelle Mone, where people try to play it off like you have this "real artist" but they never break through and, ultimately, are just a flash in the pan.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 11, 2015

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

In a world where pop artists like Adele and Beyoncé have as much respect in the "indie scene" as Arcade Fire, I'm fine with Grimes getting the attention she does. Pop music unmolested by focus groups and potential sales figures, without having earned, say, Beyonce's level of universal acclaim? There's always room for more of that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Grimes makes pop music for Urban Outfitters stores and people who write elaborate thinkpieces on why their favorite pop stars are more artistically worthwhile than others. Lady Gaga somehow dropped a more eccentric and interesting album than Art Angels a few years ago but no one gave a poo poo

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

T Bowl posted:

She openly admits to loving Korn, Disturbed, poo poo like that when she was young.

Let he who has never had embarrassing musical tastes cast the first stone.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

detectivemonkey posted:

Let he who has never had embarrassing musical tastes cast the first stone.

It's all true, but apparently she still loves em.

I bought a Three Doors Down album once. :D

I still like The Deftones but I don't think many people hate them as much of the late 90s rock bands.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

T Bowl posted:

It's all true, but apparently she still loves em.

I bought a Three Doors Down album once. :D

I still like The Deftones but I don't think many people hate them as much of the late 90s rock bands.
Deftones are one of the only bands from that era that have constantly reinvented themselves with each release. They're still doing interesting stuff even 15 years after their whole nu metal phase. And Chino (the lead singer) has a whole bunch of interesting side projects going on too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

HorseRenoir posted:

Grimes makes pop music for Urban Outfitters stores and people who write elaborate thinkpieces on why their favorite pop stars are more artistically worthwhile than others. Lady Gaga somehow dropped a more eccentric and interesting album than Art Angels a few years ago but no one gave a poo poo

Um no

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

HorseRenoir posted:

I loving love Artpop but Art Angels is a good album too! Thankfully music is not a zero-sum game.

They also have a lot of aesthetic similarities I've been thinking about lately. I think they drew on a lot of the same pop inspirations. "Artangels" (the song) definitely wouldn't be out of place on Artpop (that guitar!). In fact, I think a reason I like Art Angels so much is that many of the songs remind of "Artpop" (the song), which is as ethereal as Gaga's ever gotten - so, arguably, as close to Grimes as she's ever gotten - and I always wanted to hear more music in that vein.

Man now I'm realizing I want Grimes to produce the next Lady Gaga album.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Grimes' mood greatly affects what kind of music she makes and/or vice versa. She's talked about how she shut herself in her room to produce Visions and seemed generally depressed from this interview. http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/apr/28/grimes-visions-montreal I saw her concert recently and she seemed so upbeat and excited about playing stuff from her new album, talking about collaborations, saying Kill v Maim was her favorite song for the encore. You could kind of tell from her mood how Art Angels would be different from Visions.

Whether which one is better as a listener, it kind of depends on my mood, too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

endlosnull posted:

Grimes' mood greatly affects what kind of music she makes and/or vice versa.

"Artists music reflects their state of mind." loving NEWS AT 11 FOLKS!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Snark aside, this is pretty specifically what "California" is about.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Grimes new album is great. However, Coldplay's new song Adventure Of A Liftime is also great and very daft punky while still being still very much Coldplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsrpTrQ1x5Y

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

LionArcher posted:

very daft punky

Ten years ago this meant "drenched in filters" but now I have no idea what it means

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LionArcher posted:

Grimes new album is great. However, Coldplay's new song Adventure Of A Liftime is also great and very daft punky while still being still very much Coldplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsrpTrQ1x5Y
I wish this pop rock band would play pop rock music again.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I wish this pop rock band would play pop rock music again.

Did we listen to the same song? Because this is pop rock.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Coldplay...what in the gently caress has happened to this thread.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

abraham linksys posted:

Ten years ago this meant "drenched in filters" but now I have no idea what it means

Daft Punk now means "other people's music."

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You know how I know you're gay? Cause you like Coldplay

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Daft Punk now means "other people's music."

well, it always meant that. hell, the new album is by far the most original thing they've done

I wish Coldplay would make another album that sounds like Viva la Vida. That was a great album. Everything they've done since then has been bland as hell. Was it not popular enough or something? At least the new song is a successful shift into dance music, relative to, say, Bloc Party. Dude's vocals still sound hilariously out of place singing anything but art-rock, though

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 12, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

abraham linksys posted:

well, it always meant that. hell, the new album is by far the most original thing they've done

Yeah I'm just razzing really, I love Daft Punk. But there latest album seems to basically be an openly credited collaboration every track which is what led to my joke.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Did we listen to the same song? Because this is pop rock.
If that's your definition of pop rock then we have different definitions of pop rock. I'm talking about the stuff they used to do, like on X&Y, the last thing I really enjoyed from them and my favorite album of theirs. But that was 10 years ago and apparently they don't know how to make music like that anymore.

In any case,

rear end Catchcum posted:

Coldplay...what in the gently caress has happened to this thread.
this. The gently caress is Coldplay doing in the indie thread?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

tbf this thread is basically just the catch-all thread for music that isn't metal, "urban," or produced by a Swedish songwriting factory

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
"urban"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

sorry did I not surround that with enough sarcasm quotes

for real though where else are we gonna talk about Coldplay? Should I go make an alt-rock thread so we can discuss.. Imagine Dragons or whatever even constitutes alt-rock in 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Shouldn't Coldplay just go in the pop thread? That's where I'd expect Coldplay discussion to take place.

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Shouldn't Coldplay just go in the pop thread? That's where I'd expect Coldplay discussion to take place.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I'm surprised they don't have their own thread.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I kind of feel like Indie is a misnomer in regards to this thread. I'm sure when it started it truly meant "Indie"...but now it's more about a style of music than actual independent artists.

I think Coldplay falls more into pop based Indie stylings than traditional pop. They may be very mainstream and I'm sure pretty polarizing, but the Pop thread is basically talking about Ariana Grande, Carlie Rae Jepson (sp?), Bieber.. etc.

Coldplay seems more in tune with the crowd here than that thread.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
My point was Coldplay loving sucks.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

My point was Coldplay loving sucks.

You WOULD think that.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Parachutes was really good and still holds up for the most part OK I'm done

Typical end-of-year lull so I'll attempt to give Douglas Dare some love again since he's good and didn't get much press stateside and it's cold out

Watch/Hear "Nile" and "Lungful" and "Swim"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The worst part of the indie scene is how judgmental its fans are. I enjoy Coldplay!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Coldplay is not in the indie scene! Shut the gently caress up!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It doesn't belong in the pop thread either alongside things like loving Bieber. You're really upset about this for some reason.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Just make their own thread, they are a huge band.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just make their own thread, they are a huge band.
lmao, that would be dead before the end of the first page

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Coldplay is not in the indie scene! Shut the gently caress up!

Coldplay CREATED the indie scene as it's known today.

So. There.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I think "indie" should go back to meaning just Smiths/C86/Sarah/twee/etc so we can avoid arguments like this one.

Seriously though people should be able to post music they want to talk about in whatever thread they feel fits it best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Jesus Christ Bono man I can't tell if you're 45 or 14.