Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

looks really cool :) super customizable and controllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I am impressed by this ui. Awesome! Height zoning and setbacks builtin in an intuitive manner! Woo!

Is the setback going to be the only thing specifying that parking is required, or will businesses spontaneously generate their own optional parking lots even if no setback was specified of land values allow?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

That's so awesome and well done! It gives a lot of freedom and some potential to some really cool options. I could imagine having an area where the stores are pulled back far from the road with a little park or walking area in front or the height thing coming into play when planning airports. It'd be cool if you could alter both of those along a zone, but I'm sure that'll come in a future update.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

It'd be really loving cool if you could alter the setback space after buildings were already in without loving up the buildings. One that that always SUPER annoyed me in city sims was that changing anything meant losing all your old buildings. There was no sense of permanence/history.

Like it'd be sweet if you could add a lane to the road, add parking, add a park, sidewalks, etc. Move the road in and put a park in the middle of the lanes, or a railway in the middle, all that kind of stuff. As long as it wasn't so wide that it hit the building, the buildings would stay and "adjust" to the new setback space. I would love you forever.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I think you've finally designed a city sim with all the ui and depth of features us spergy mayors love.

I'll admit, I thought my enthusiasm for this project would die down as I scratched my city sim itch with Cities: Skylines, but these development videos continue to impress me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy gently caress those setback and height controls.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:aaa:

Poizen Jam posted:

I'll admit, I thought my enthusiasm for this project would die down as I scratched my city sim itch with Cities: Skylines, but these development videos continue to impress me.

I thought the same, but this latest video has me more excited about Citybound than any of the previous ones. I think it's because Skylines does traffic and roads relatively well (certainly in a very pretty way), so the roads in Citybound don't hold as much excitement for me as they used to. But when citybound touches on anything else, it looks amazing. That zone control is absolutely superb. I look forward to videos about the economy.

Anselm: maybe it's just me, but the bright pastel green background makes it really difficult to see anything in your videos, especially planned roads. Any chance of darkening it?

crabrock posted:

It'd be really loving cool if you could alter the setback space after buildings were already in without loving up the buildings. One that that always SUPER annoyed me in city sims was that changing anything meant losing all your old buildings. There was no sense of permanence/history.

Like it'd be sweet if you could add a lane to the road, add parking, add a park, sidewalks, etc. Move the road in and put a park in the middle of the lanes, or a railway in the middle, all that kind of stuff. As long as it wasn't so wide that it hit the building, the buildings would stay and "adjust" to the new setback space. I would love you forever.

I imagine that's largely the point of the setback, for widening roads, but odd that Anselm didn't mention it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Holy poo poo in city planning. :stare:

:fap:

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
That is an amazing set of tools. Extremely powerful and adaptable, but also very intuitive. Well done.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

One suggestion: You should be able to drag the height restriction down to the ground (0 stories) to say "I don't care - make the Burj Khalifa." Otherwise, you'll be scrolling for a long time to get huge skyscrapers.

Edit: I wonder if there's an elegant way to implement a sky exposure plane without making it over-complicated to use. Then we could have stuff like this be dynamically created, rather than random.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 20, 2015

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co
Thanks for the enthusiasm everyone :)

KillHour posted:

Holy fuckballs.

FYI, my wife and me adopted "holy fuckballs" into our daily language. Thanks for that.

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co
Finally a new update! Written and posted from my entirely inadequate phone!

August 2015 Update - A week with Michael

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Good of you to move out of that place. Also loving MULTITHREADING! :neckbeard:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Congrats on getting out of Russia!

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I missed the last update, so let me just say :staredog:. Not gonna lie, I got a huge loving UI boner watching that. I literally snorted incredulously watching the zones adapt on the fly while you were dragging roads around, and all of the zone painting/config stuff looks phenomenal. poo poo, however Citybound itself works out, I'm just glad you're doing this work and that other people/companies are smart enough to steal it from you for future generations of citybuilders.

Obviously I hope Citybound works out fantastically and you earn piles of money, but seriously, at least at first glance this looks like the kind of genre-defining advancement that citybuilders have been in need of for decades. Skylines has made some important advances, especially with roads and agents, but they're still stuck in a zoning paradigm that's straight out of SimCity 2000.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This looks amazing so far. Good luck! :toot:

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co
New Update!

The Road to Alpha, Week 89 - Theory and Practice

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He's back!

Enjoy Italy.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

After the third time hearing it:

Oh, thick geometry!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Great to see an update! As I have been traveling around the absolute disaster of urban planning that is Kiev I was thinking of this game and all the very different sort of cities we can hopefully make.

\/ Yeah those barely even really count as cities. So many american "cities" are just a huge mess of roads and highways dotted with houses and strip malls and a core of office towers but no where does a real city form. A city in the form of gas, no substance, expanding to fill all available space.

The core of Kiev is ok (although way too many huge over-wide soviet style roads that would probably perform better after a road diet) but outside of the city centre is just an endless sprawl of awful apartment blocks along jammed highways and stroads. It's an extremely car-centric city that's only getting worse since their urban planning theory hasn't adapted since soviet times and development is "planned" based enitrely on corruption/political connections so you get massive 20 story apartment towers in the middle of a farm field because the land-owner knows someone in the local authority and got their project approved. The infastructure is horrible, the driving culture is really bad (those slavic dash cam vids are an accurate depiction of daily driving), and it leads to massive commute times and traffic jams.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 28, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I enjoy Kiev ten times more than cities in the American South.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Vahakyla posted:

I enjoy Kiev ten times more than cities in the American South.

Name ten American cities in the south. Oh wait you can't because we've all merged into one souless expanse of swamp and subdivisions broken up by strip malls and Dollar General's.

(I do like Dollar General though, they always have canning supplies)

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Suspect Bucket posted:

Name ten American cities in the south. Oh wait you can't because we've all merged into one souless expanse of swamp and subdivisions broken up by strip malls and Dollar General's.

(I do like Dollar General though, they always have canning supplies)

Excuse me? The official Houston city limits contain only 600 square miles (not counting water), a mere ten times as much area as Washington, DC. It's metropolitan area is only 10,000 square miles, barely more land than the entire state of Maryland—it's not even as big as West Virginia. Stop exaggerating. If you want a terrible city that's eating half an entire state, you're thinking of Southern California.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Curvature of Earth posted:

Excuse me? The official Houston city limits contain only 600 square miles (not counting water), a mere ten times as much area as Washington, DC. It's metropolitan area is only 10,000 square miles, barely more land than the entire state of Maryland—it's not even as big as West Virginia. Stop exaggerating. If you want a terrible city that's eating half an entire state, you're thinking of Southern California.

Well gee when you put it like that it's not so bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope in citybound we can make hellscapes like this

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well, north Texas continues the trend really. Edmonton has a 3700 sq mile metro and is actually slightly less dense than even Houston.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Anyone who thinks they want to make games because it would be so cool and fun and easy should be forced to watch these dev diary videos.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baronjutter posted:

Not nearly enough of that is parking lot and abandoned strip mall for my hellscape tastes. Also, not beige enough.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

StealthArcher posted:

Well, north Texas continues the trend really. Edmonton has a 3700 sq mile metro and is actually slightly less dense than even Houston.

By slightly less you mean half the density right?

I was going to mention how St. John's, NL is an utter failure of a city due to a pathological fear of density: Terrible parking availability, a large sprawl of copy pasted suburbs, a decaying urban core, and terrible public transporation. It's comparable to Houston's density, but with about 200k people...

Then I checked the 'Edmonton Capital Region' after your post and felt really sad for you. Oh well, at least you have a city that's less cruddy at the center of that Metro.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A PDF on American sprawl. Houston number one for large metros. A lot of places in the south as well, like Tennessee.

http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/documents/measuring-sprawl-2014.pdf

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Goodpancakes posted:

A PDF on American sprawl. Houston number one for large metros. A lot of places in the south as well, like Tennessee.

Houston isn't the worst, Atlanta is. Nashville, where I live, is second worst. I can't wait to move...

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Goodpancakes posted:

This isn't loading for me, got a different link?

Also, all hail Atlanta: King of Building Out!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

By slightly less you mean half the density right?

I was going to mention how St. John's, NL is an utter failure of a city due to a pathological fear of density: Terrible parking availability, a large sprawl of copy pasted suburbs, a decaying urban core, and terrible public transporation. It's comparable to Houston's density, but with about 200k people...

Then I checked the 'Edmonton Capital Region' after your post and felt really sad for you. Oh well, at least you have a city that's less cruddy at the center of that Metro.

A fair bit of it comes from the city of Edmonton itself pulling rear end covers for places like Sherwood Park.

SP: "Hey, we wanna not pay taxes! Wah."
E: "Fine, here's a deal, we'll asspull some numbers to claim large swaths of your population and let you stay a Hamlet."
SP: "Really? Deal!"

Now it's:

E: "Hey, time to pay up, we're gonna amalgamate you now."
SP: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Opals25 posted:

Houston isn't the worst, Atlanta is. Nashville, where I live, is second worst. I can't wait to move...

Ooh, you're right. I was reading the table wrong. Atlanta the worst of large metros. Morgantown NC worst regardless of size.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Baronjutter posted:

Hellscape? Please report to your local Ministry of Internal Affairs office, citizen.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Supraluminal posted:

Anyone who thinks they want to make games because it would be so cool and fun and easy should be forced to watch these dev diary videos.

And frankly, Anselm is doing a dramatically better job than I think I would if I were in his place.

anselm_eickhoff
Mar 2, 2014

aeplay.co
New Update!

The Road to Alpha, Week 96 - Committing to ...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Neat. You're aware that this kind of thing already exists, and is generally used to support TC style mods? Having extreme customizability for your game can be a pretty neat thing.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm curious... other developers would be terrified to open source any part of their work, for fear of losing their primary means of making money and paying the bills. Are you confident that the core, non-open source engine going to be sufficient for you to make a living off the game?

Thinking of Tarn Adams here, and his aversion to open source. But then again, he's not a fan of collaborations at all, while you clearly are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks for the update, Anselm! Good luck with this new initiative. I hope it helps you develop the game faster/better.

• Locked thread