Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

This show gets better every week. The soundtrack and cutaways are fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

buddhanc posted:

This show gets better every week. The soundtrack and cutaways are fantastic.
This was one of songs they used twice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

The video game they was awesome and I love when they do those interpretations and things. Show is great and it is really fun.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Novick typing something and then erasing it in response to the micropenis message is just the cherry on top of that episode and probably the most real to life cellphone thing.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Such a good show. Reminds me of burn notice but better.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

My god Brian stealing the Adic's phone was hilarious.

The show blends in good comedy with serious plotlines and somehow does it in a way that doesn't give the show a generally silly atmosphere.

While this show is a sequel to the movie, in many ways it's a spiritual sequel to Chuck.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Oh hey Naz's daughter is the same actress that was playing Firefly on Gotham this season. Glad to see she's getting some more work.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Papier-mâché FBI Most Wanted dolls, Members Only jackets and an undercover operation involving a pimp cosutume next week.

This show is the greatest.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
The team being a team without at least a season of being forced to tolerate his presence is weirdly refreshing. The boss actually believing in him and the hard-assed female partner actually being the one to want him there from the start instead of being stuck with him is awesome. You think it's supposed to be like every other Genius rear end in a top hat procedural, but then you remember that Brian isn't actually That rear end in a top hat, so everyone warms to him pretty drat quick.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that jelly bean(?) scene with Ike was the best, and that FMK scene in the park :allears:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
They were Mike & Ikes, dude.

Come on!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This show is seriously surprising me with how much I enjoy it every week. It has to be such a fun job to be a graphic design person on this show, all the layovers and cutaways are great.

I need to get my roommate in on this show; he loves Chuck and would binge watch every episode of this show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Ooh, I bet there would be a lot of overlap with the Chuck crowd. Example: I loved Chuck, and now I love Limitless.

Which surprised me because I really didn't see anywhere for the movie to go.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Feenix posted:

Come on!

I've... I've never had Mike & Ikes.

I am shamed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KatWithHands posted:

I am shamed.

They're basically jelly beans.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

KatWithHands posted:

I am shamed.

No shame. Just wanted to point out the funny.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Feenix posted:

No shame. Just wanted to point out the funny.

That actually does make the scene even better, so thanks for pointing that out!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not painting this with positivity or negativity (still completely neutral on it) but I find it interesting how "off-NZT" Brian is peppier and cleverer than he was early on.

Wonder if that's plot or just "good-for-tv" Formula?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Feenix posted:

I'm not painting this with positivity or negativity (still completely neutral on it) but I find it interesting how "off-NZT" Brian is peppier and cleverer than he was early on.

Wonder if that's plot or just "good-for-tv" Formula?

Wouldn't surprise me if he just has a better attitude now. He was pretty much a loser who had given up on life in the premier - now, even when he's not on NZT, he has proof that he can be more than he thought he could. Belief in yourself is a powerful thing.

I'm an episode behind though, last one I saw was the amazing Ferris Bueller homage, gonna catch the new one when I get home. :3:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Feenix posted:

Come on!

I had no idea that this was a candy either, haha.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I haven't had Mike & Ikes in a long while; picked some up today. They're pretty good.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Too bad for the other hostages, I guess?

The last couple episodes have been a lot of fun though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

WarLocke posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if he just has a better attitude now. He was pretty much a loser who had given up on life in the premier - now, even when he's not on NZT, he has proof that he can be more than he thought he could. Belief in yourself is a powerful thing.
Plus he doesn't suffer with the terrible withdrawal symptoms like (nearly) all other NZT users.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh I wasn't really confused by the turn.... Just hadn't decided if it was well-planned story or "tv needs a charismatic lead" morphing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I did notice that the lighting has gotten more consistently bright - early on it was a stark difference between the dark off-NZT world and how much lighter everything for on NZT. I wonder how much they'll continue to play with that difference going forward.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Democratic Pirate posted:

I did notice that the lighting has gotten more consistently bright - early on it was a stark difference between the dark off-NZT world and how much lighter everything for on NZT. I wonder how much they'll continue to play with that difference going forward.

Talking out of my rear end here, but what if prolonged use of NZT has lasting effects? Like, normally you're dead in a year so nobody has noticed, but since Brian is getting shots to avert that he'll be able to benefit from NZT rewiring his brain in the long-term? Maybe not to intrincially NZT levels, but like you said, the lighting is generally used to show how his mental ability/state is, and I noticed it trending lighter as well...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The CIA kidnapping episode already kind of played with the "Hey you seem different..." angle a bit, so yeah I wouldn't be surprised if non-drug Brian going through some noticeable changes becomes a plot point sometime down the line.

Also casting news: http://io9.com/exclusive-fringes-georgina-haig-will-join-limitless-as-1742156263

I haven't seen her on OuaT but she was pretty good in the final season of Fringe so I'm looking forward to it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh that's pretty cool, good to see she's getting more work.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Talking out of my rear end here, but what if prolonged use of NZT has lasting effects? Like, normally you're dead in a year so nobody has noticed, but since Brian is getting shots to avert that he'll be able to benefit from NZT rewiring his brain in the long-term? Maybe not to intrincially NZT levels, but like you said, the lighting is generally used to show how his mental ability/state is, and I noticed it trending lighter as well...

Didn't that happen to Eddie in the movie?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

Didn't that happen to Eddie in the movie?

It's strongly implied Eddie developed a permanent pill that made him always in an NZT state.

It seems that's been retconned in this series. Though it could also be that Eddie is just lying about taking the shot and pills himself for years.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I don't know who this is but... (not really a spoiler, but just in case)

quote:

Georgina Haig is set for a recurring role as Piper. Per the producers, Piper was once like Brian, naive and sheltered—then she lost everything. Now, self-trained in many forms of combat, she has a mission to stop the man who took it from her—with Brian as either her ally or her enemy.

This quote confuses me. They took her martial arts? I hate the vagueness of "losing everything". Because it's always like, I still have a nice apartment and cash, so really I didn't lose everything, just a few things.I'm being pedantic, but I just think it's bad writing. The only person I've sympathized with in this case is John Wick.

Also, I should probably update the OP to include the chief and Mike and Ike. Maybe that menacing black guy who works for Moira as well.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The description is probably just purposely vague for casting intents so it doesn't give out any spoilers. Although I'm guessing "used to be on NZT" won't be on her list of things she's tangled up in. Probably a recurring character where they bump into her during a case and she sticks around afterwards on and off but I'm not sure how exactly deep in the NZT mythology she can really be in unless she's also on Morra's payroll and is sent to keep an eye on Brian for some reason.

The concept is not bad but bad execution leads into the "broken but beautiful" trap of female characters. Which I hope they won't make here.

Sober fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 13, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The "but lost everything" part seems like it's TV code for had a relative/loved one die, which given the background setup for the show I'm guessing is going to mean that she was involved with one of the people who died in the NZT trials.

I agree though that her little casting blurb doesn't sound super exciting, but given how well this show has pulled off all the other things it's tried so far I'm not worried in the least about a new character showing up and suddenly being some boring, tired cliche.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Any fans of Colin Salmon on this show should check out Aziz Ansari's brilliant new Netflix show Master of None, where he plays a crazy version of himself, as a pretentious, bombastic actor with some unique quirks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The look on Mike's face when Ike learned he was going to Greenland was funny.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Show is hitting very similar notes as The Flash for me. As in it's bucked a few modern tv trends in the name of being fun and a bit more upbeat/positive.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Still the best show on Tuesdays; absolutely been hitting it out of the park the last couple eps.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo the 22 Jump Street ending combined with that music was FANTASTIC. My cheeks hurt from grinning that wide.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
I can't believe how good this show is. Fantastic episode!

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I can't be the only one who caught the abyss reference at the end

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Holy loving poo poo that was amazing. Maybe up with one of the best hours of TV this year.

Oh man telling his father about NZT though, shiiiiit :tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This show is so happy and fun but I can't shake the feeling that it's going to all go to poo poo and a future episode will be an absolutely depressing hour of television.

• Locked thread