Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

LawfulWaffle posted:

"I'm just going to use all of it and see what happens."

It's like the high school graduates' version of "Hold my beer and watch this."

Sometimes, even when experienced, you just don't think. In college, while taking a molding and casting class, I discovered that if I mixed very old tinting powder (like 10 years old) with a urethane casting resin, that it would foam and allow you to use half the normal amount of resin by creating an internal structure. It did cause it to kick very quickly.

Well, it turns out that you can't control the reaction. I mixed up a small batch in a plastic cup and it got smoking hot within 3 or 4 seconds. It then foamed out of the cup (on to my fortunately gloved) hands. I ripped my gloves off and threw the lava-like mixture into a trash can. Fortunately for me, there weren't any solvent soaked rags in there and I was able to dump water on it to cool it off.

Dumbest thing ever. Don't gently caress with chemicals, they'll gently caress with you right back. I still have some parts that I made with my magic mixture though, they're pretty cool. Just don't use the red powder. Green seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chromatic posted:

Unluckiest batter I've ever seen. 1:53 is :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyprjMmwjFA

Not as good as 2:33. That's like something out of a comedy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

KoRMaK posted:

Hmm geez wiz I wonder if Valve could sell games to offset a loss leader like a Steambox.

Why bother though, they already have all the hats they could ever want.

They could, but every other company that makes them (Falcon, IBP, Alienware, whoever) couldn't subsidize the cost unless Valve gives them a cut.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Parkingtigers posted:

I know nothing about baseball, but I noticed that after he moved to the Giants when he got hit people would rush out to check he was okay. :3:

You have no idea of the amount of apathy KC had for the Royals until the last two years. Not even the players really cared.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

burexas.irom posted:

That is interesting. Please tell us more about gaming platforms

Chromatic posted:

reminds me of little league

Crocoswine has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Nov 11, 2015

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guess he got the chips.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Del Boy aged poorly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

That's a good way to gently caress up your racks (of chips).

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Thwomp posted:

That's a good way to gently caress up your racks (of chips).

gently caress up your snacks you goddamn NEANDERTHAL

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Guess he got the chips.

I'm sure the destruction of private property fine was worth it

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Chromatic posted:

The last one was coming 92 mph straight towards his face. :stonk:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm loving the fact the STEAM box was released today as PC GAMING FOR THE PRICE OF A CONSOLE, but the prices for something pretty decent as far as pc gaming goes is around 1000$ or more.

Even a "build your own to act as a steam machine" is gonna run you about a grand.

You can build a PS4 beating machine for about $500 assuming you ignore some things such as desk, monitor etc. An equivalent PC for the same price of the PS4(what is it now? $350?) though is kinda hard as PC parts aren't subsidized like consoles are.

As for the steam machines themselves, Valve have always marketed them as a PC gaming experience in the living room for PC gamers with spare cash, people keep shouting about them being console replacements but I don't think that was every steams intention, more as an additional purchase for current PC gamers.

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 22:21 on Nov 11, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PRADA SLUT posted:

Microsoft was losing money on each Xbox sold, the only way a Steambox could be subsidized like that is if Valve produced them directly or they gave a cut of whatever was bought on them to the manufacturer.

That's not just Microsoft, it's the industry standard to sell your consoles at a loss. Whenever the cost to make them goes down then that means it's time to cut the price and get back to losing money on each unit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mega Comrade posted:

An equivalent PC for the same price of the PS4(what is it now? $350?) though is kinda hard as PC parts aren't subsidized like consoles are.

Nor are PC parts bought at a single standardized specification, directly from the component manufacturers, in multiple-conex quantities.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

I know it's only a red top tabloid but loving hell, that reads like a child wrote it.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FlyinPingu posted:

gently caress up your snacks you goddamn NEANDERTHAL

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G8_BbERk8o

Wanamingo posted:

That's not just Microsoft, it's the industry standard to sell your consoles at a loss. Whenever the cost to make them goes down then that means it's time to cut the price and get back to losing money on each unit.

Sort of, Nintendo was making $50 profit off each Wii sold.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I still don't understand, is Steam Machine supposed to appeal to people who don't have a computer to play computer games? Because if that's the case then they have to build their game library from scratch. If it's not the case, what's stopping someone from saving like 500$ and just drilling a hole through the ceiling and running an HDMI cable from their computer to their living room? And why aren't they already using a TV to play computer games?

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

im pooping! posted:

If it's not the case, what's stopping someone from saving like 500$ and just drilling a hole through the ceiling and running an HDMI cable from their computer to their living room? And why aren't they already using a TV to play computer games?

I know of several people who are unwilling to do this and would rather just spend the money. "Too much work." I say go for it, milk 'em dry.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It appeals to dumb people. I've been saying this from the beginning but it's still too complex for the console market, the kind of people who still get confused by the name "wii u" and the difference between 500GB and 1TB hard drives, with it's different manufacturers and parts and it's just redundant for the PC market. Combine that with the fact that the steam controller apparently doesn't work with most games, at least none of the ones in my library according to the steam discussions where people have been complaining about it since it came out, and it honestly seems like it's going to do bad.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This kinda got lost in steam-chat, and it deserves more love. Despite the terrible, terrible video resolution, the underlying idea is loving gold.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Apogee15 posted:

Since we're on the topic of doing stupid things in high school:

One year on muck-up day at my highschool, some kids stole a sheep and somehow got it onto the roof, where it died of heat stroke or dehydration or something before it could be rescued. They were pretty strict about punishing people who did basically anything on muck-up day for the next couple of years.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't really remember any good senior pranks from high school. The only one I remember was forking the football field: you just stick a fuckton of plastic forks into the field until there's one every few feet. It's pretty lovely as far as pranks go, because the inevitable result is the janitors (who don't get paid nearly enough for it) having to spend hours painstakingly removing every single fork.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Those guys that spent time putting in the forks are cool dudes though.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

burexas.irom posted:

That is interesting. Please tell us more about gaming platforms

It's called a baseball diamond.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
it happened the year before i went there but some kid released a greased-up pig into the hallways of my highschool for his senior prank and got kicked out of the graduation ceremony

it was a beach town with those planes that fly banners behind them and someone hired ones that said "oink" to fly over the graduation

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Just before I went into high school, a different HS in my area that had multiple stories to the building brought a cow into the school for their senior prank. Fun fact, cows are physically unable to go down staircases, but can go up just fine... :smith:

My grade was all either preppy jocks, or weirdo drama geeks (in like a 4:1 ratio) so there wasn't anybody with both the ingenuity to come up with a good senior prank and the resources to pull it off.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I refused to participate in our senior "prank" because the idea was to remove everyone's license plates and throw them in a pile. It was so goddamn stupid.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The senior prank for my senior year in highschool was just taking all the license plates off the sophomore's cars and putting them in a big pile. It's surprising how many people don't know what their plate number is.

^^ sup

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
How the gently caress did that just happen

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Choco1980 posted:

Fun fact, cows are physically unable to go down staircases, but can go up just fine... :smith:

I think Mythbusters or something similar proved this wasn't true.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well where were they on the day the cow went upstairs at the high school?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeez. We just spent senior ear stealing all the wooden wedge door stops we could (and their replacements), glued them together into one huge wedge, and left it on the front lawn.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choco1980 posted:

Just before I went into high school, a different HS in my area that had multiple stories to the building brought a cow into the school for their senior prank. Fun fact, cows are physically unable to go down staircases, but can go up just fine... :smith:
Did the school not have disabled access?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not Mythbusters, but there's lots of video evidence on it. Cows can't really see where they're stepping due to the placement of their eyes, so they only go downstairs under duress and very carefully. It's also why you can keep them from going somewhere by painting a lines on the ground: they know that if they try to walk over a series of bars they're hosed (because they can't see their legs, so they'll likely trip) and thus usually refuse to walk over what they think is a grid of bars over the ground.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

ExecuDork posted:

This kinda got lost in steam-chat, and it deserves more love. Despite the terrible, terrible video resolution, the underlying idea is loving gold.

oh my god, when she walks through the sensors and the camera pans a bit and you can see there are kids dancing outside the store to celebrate.

This is a pro click.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Did the school not have disabled access?

It must have if he went there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

On ranches they'll have miles and miles of electric/barb wire fence and then when you get to where the gate should be so cars can pass there's no gate. There's a metal grate over nothing in particular that wouldn't impede a cow and yet when they look down at the grate they see more dirt, several inches down. And they don't cross it. I could fully believe cows wouldn't go down stairs.

Mythbusters also proved that elephants are afraid of mice so suck it herbivores.