Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Bootcha posted:

SPLASH ONE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfHCaQ0_a4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

:boom:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Please enjoy this hilarious Star Citizen cartoon. I made it a while back, thought I'd post it here. youtu.be

submitted 6 hours ago by Billee_Boyee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftCnNSdfnT0

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

quote:

Don't forget us Realists.

Some of us (properly the silent majority) know Star Citizen has a high chance of not delivering everything they promised. But still choose to trust CR because he comes across like a man with a vision. I've been burned before by publishers over promising and under delivering.

However, based on my experience on the matter, which is quite substantial considering the amount of early acces games I backed.

This time feels different. Ofcourse, CIG and CR want to make money, but for the first time ever I'm getting the feeling this isn't his(their) primairy objective.

That's why I'm fine handing over $400 dollar to support this project.

tl;dr Chris Roberts, imho, is a good(safe) bet because he is building his own dream game. It just happens to be mine aswell.

You see, he's making his dream game, which is mine as well so I'm totally not biased at all).

Oh and of course he wants money, but that's all incidental!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

For anyone still waiting on refunds, just do a chargeback. CIG used your money, missed every deadline and has delivered nothing but broke, useless poo poo. They owe you, not the other way around.

If they were too stupid to use your money wisely, too loving bad. Or if you have some sympathy for this shitheap of a company, your response should be: 'That is not my problem, that is yours. The due date of the product has come and gone and there is no end in sight. Responses to my inquiries have taken weeks, which is unacceptable. You no longer have my trust as a consumer or a backer that you can keep any promises related to this project or even deliver it in any way previously advertised. You have 24 hours from the time of this email to deliver to my account nothing less than a full refund for any donation (don't refer to it as a ship or product because it loving isn't). If you do not, I will pursue a chargeback as is my right as a consumer.'

They are relying and betting on your passivity to avoid having to give back any money. They know that a chargeback will likely involve a phone call (or several) and that you won't do it. gently caress that. They have belittled you and disrespected you all while taking your money.

It's actually better to refer to the game as a product or service, since the burden of proof of delivery will be placed on cig.

I dealt with chargebacks all the time as a controller. Cig will get a chance to respond to it to have it overturned, but they actually can't show they've provided a finished product or service, that's why when anyone mentions chargebacks via email they refund right away.

It won't really hurt them as a business. It'll take thousands and thousands of chargebacks (unless clear fraud is involved) for merchant services to start questioning transactions. It's just the quickest way to get your money back.

Edit
Don't tell cig your money is a donation. They could use that email as proof to the credit card company that they don't have to provide a refund if you initiate a chargeback.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 12, 2015

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Space buggy game is pretty cool. I like how they're always on fire.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Fourty-Nine Million Dollars and over four years of development. :stonklol:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ninety four..

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

Ninety four..
:yarg::homebrew::homebrew::gary:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You see, he's making his dream game, which is mine as well so I'm totally not biased at all).

Oh and of course he wants money, but that's all incidental!

A dream game that has no scope set, no timelines set, no delivery dates given.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

comatose posted:

Mocap studios paying off.

The "I just poo poo myself unexpectedly!" shuffle-swagger! So hawt. omg.

He fits character with the rest of the universe because it's poo poo.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Lesnick is comically fat, but despite dehumanizing him constantly I still feel bad for him.

I used to. It'll pass once he says something else that can, and does, legit hurt other people.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

comatose posted:

Mocap studios paying off.

Food for thought, what if they managed to mocap impressive breast physics? :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

A dream game that has no scope set, no timelines set, no delivery dates given.

Oh they set plenty of scope, timelines and delivery dates. They didn't achieve any of them...

But at least Chris Roberts had a dream!

Seriously, I cannot wait to see "No Man's Sky" get released June next year and blow everyone's mind away and pull the rug underneath SC's feet for good.

CountDrac
Jan 19, 2006

goat simulator: space DLC?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Seriously, I cannot wait to see "No Man's Sky" get released June next year and blow everyone's mind away and pull the rug underneath SC's feet for good.

Yeah, that game will be released but from that to "blow everybody's mind away" there is a huge jump. The whole thing seems shallow as gently caress.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

EightAce posted:

So Sandi, Karl, THE WULGE and Ben standing around a buffet ............

This seems like the perfect lead in to one of those "so three guys walk into a bar" jokes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

trucutru posted:

Yeah, that game will be released but from that to "blow everybody's mind away" there is a huge jump. The whole thing seems shallow as gently caress.

Ok, so maybe "blow everyone's mind" was a little too excessive, but the point is that such a game seems pretty cool for being so vast, and its something that SC should've probably aped and added their own flair to afterwards.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

trucutru posted:

From what I've seen it'll suffer from the same old procedural generation issue of everything being different in a very predictable way without real character or significance. Time will tell if they've managed to crack that problem.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok, so maybe "blow everyone's mind" was a little too excessive, but the point is that such a game seems pretty cool for being so vast, and its something that SC should've probably aped and added their own flair to afterwards.

I think E:D's galaxy is a better comparison there. I was pretty surprised to see the stark difference in scale between the two games, it's astonishing how small SC is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqOi-qYObkU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

From what I've seen it'll suffer from the same old procedural generation issue of everything being different in a very predictable way without real character or significance. Time will tell if they've managed to crack that problem.

What kind of character or significance will there be between alien Gazelle #1,564,134,467,143,169,111 and alien Gazelle #3,765,123,753,123,631,835?

Procedural generation is a good way to build a game area for your players to enjoy the actual content on your game. If the procedural generation *is* the main point (as it appears to be, haven't seen a single interesting piece of gameplay for that game) then the thing will be poo poo.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Lesnick is comically fat, but despite dehumanizing him constantly I still feel bad for him. It gets better you fatty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhOYS3vgUg

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Sandi needs to be in a bikini and chained to Ben.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Chalks posted:

I think E:D's galaxy is a better comparison there. I was pretty surprised to see the stark difference in scale between the two games, it's astonishing how small SC is.

This wouldn't necessarily be a problem, if it was just freelancer 2.0, and it was all "handcrafted", interesting solar systems.

Knowing cig though, each system would take 3 months, and would then need to be changed because croberts made some coked out hand movements. Speaking of which, is anyone else reminded of Stan from Stan's Previously Owned Vessels in Monkey Island?

"Extras? Extras? This baby is loaded with extras!"

ShredsYouSay fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 12, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MeLKoR posted:

Sandi needs to be in a bikini and chained to Ben.

That wouldn't work, because everyone by now knows that Ben is Sandi's bitch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

I should eventually look into getting E:D. Is it more of a "wait for a sale" game or not?

Its also incredibly easy to spot the fanboy fanatic when they keep going on and on about how impressive SC will be. As if the game was fully realised, ready for release in two weeks, and they are a part of the dev team.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ShredsYouSay posted:

This wouldn't necessarily be a problem, if it was just freelancer 2.0, and it was all "handcrafted", interesting solar systems.

Knowing cig though, each system would take 3 months, and would then need to be changed because croberts made some coked out hand movements. Speaking of which, is anyone else reminded of Stan from Stan's Discount Ships in Monkey Island?

"Extras? Extras? This baby is loaded with extras!"

For me scale is a big part of these sorts of games. Someone said a while ago that if you steal someone's space ship you'll only be able to use it in SC's equivalent of null sec without being attacked by the local police forces. In many games that'd be totally fine and you'd set up camp in a frontier territory but in SC what does that mean? You can only use it in 3 star systems? Not to mention it means that the idea of player run factions taking control of territory is basically impossible because there simply isn't enough of it to go around.

Hand crafted aspects are great and I'm not saying they'd need to go full bonkers in terms of scale like E:D has, but you don't actually need to hand craft every gas giant in every star system, nor does every star need to have inhabitable planets you can land on. It's a space game after all, and it's a real shame that it seems like the "hand crafted planets you can walk around on" is massively reducing the amount of space in their space game.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
does anyone still have the gif of sandi pulling ben lesnick's wife's chair

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's fun and informative to consider that these games have been in development for roughly the same amount of time. One was made with a far smaller budget than the other. Incidentally, that smaller budget game is fully playable and cranking out updates on a regular basis. The other is making excuses and selling JPGs.

Star Citizen is never coming out.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I should eventually look into getting E:D. Is it more of a "wait for a sale" game or not?

Its also incredibly easy to spot the fanboy fanatic when they keep going on and on about how impressive SC will be. As if the game was fully realised, ready for release in two weeks, and they are a part of the dev team.

It's bound to be on sale when their "land on planets" expansion comes out and that's pretty soon. It's a nice game, but a big part of it is basically space trucking simulator. It's slow and relaxing but I can see how people can find it boring. I really enjoyed playing it but I can see how it's not for everyone - the ability to land on planets and drive around in heavily armed vehicles dropped from your ship looks cool as gently caress though so I'm pretty excited for the expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HMijsx97rc

IMO it's becoming closer and closer to what SC is trying to be while at the same time actually existing.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 12, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you can deal without playing it for a couple weeks, preordering the expansion pack now will net you the base game as well once the expansion releases.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

"Infinity Battlescape Kickstarter posted:

Hey everyone we're excited to announce that those of you who pledge $60 or more will be able to pilot the Kickstarter exclusive SFC Mercenary Operative Interceptor. It will be balanced with stats similar to the default SFC Interceptor and will offer no gameplay advantage. This ship will not be available after the Kickstarter.

It's a slippery slope I-Novae :cripes:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fatass tweet:

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/664658382574321665

It's funny because it's true, except the ship builder part. So 2/3s true. Still a more honest statement than anything to come from CIG lately.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
drat that's heavy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
WHere us the ga,e?

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

Is this guy 12 and that's why his room is plastered in posters?

Also what gameplay did Elite (that came out in 1984, 6 years before Wing Commander) owe to Chris Roberts? idgi.

i too sit at my desk surrounded by game artwork while wearing dave wyndorf cosplay

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I finally got my refund money. I am free!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Bootcha posted:

SPLASH ONE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Goongratulations? Maybe?

I hope you didn't sign and NDA or if you did at least there is not an NDA on the NDA. Deets man. :suspense:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
what mystical secrets do you know bootcha????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Elite is very much a "make of it what you can" type of game. It's fun when played as a group or if you particularly enjoy Eurotruck Simulator In Space type games. The saying "A mile wide and an inch deep" fits it very well. However, new content is coming and has an actual release window, unlike some other games.

Chalks posted:

Only problem there is there's really nothing to do in the rest of the galaxy outside of finding potential desktop backgrounds. I give it another 6-9 months before Elite really starts to fill in with content that will keep players engaged. I've noticed right now that it's a tedious cycle of trying to care and burning out after a month or two, then coming back with the next content producing patch to see what's changed before burning out again.

Not to mention :frontear: panders to their brown sea even more so than CIG does and sides with the spergs who seem to think it should take literal real years to complete certain objectives. They also hate it when players can make money at a decent rate that nullifies some of the grind.

• Locked thread