Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Oberleutnant posted:

Paradox you fukkbois! Give me a job in a warm office reading pop history books all day.

This, but I'll do it from the comfort of my home to save you guys the expense of another office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Groogy posted:

Oh definitely.
But if he even so dares to mention rome.... :bahgawd:

My little sister got assignment to compare the Roman Empire with another Empire, I told her to compare it with the Habsburg Empire

Should have gone with the Empire in Star Wars. There's probably more written on that than the Habsburgs :(

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Crash74 posted:

When will we know who got into the hoi4 beta?

From what I read on the official forums, selection should be done by Friday, and everyone gets a mail. Usually it will read LOL NOPE (or words to that effect).

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

MPs are good and more or less accurately render the importance of executive personality/competence in the slow lurches of early modern proto-states into centralized administrative governments; see for example Gustavus Adolphus+Oxenstierna, Richelieu+Louis XIII, Philip II holding poo poo together through force of will.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Fuligin posted:

MPs are good and more or less accurately render the importance of executive personality/competence in the slow lurches of early modern proto-states into centralized administrative governments; see for example Gustavus Adolphus+Oxenstierna, Richelieu+Louis XIII, Philip II holding poo poo together through force of will.

It's also, and this is probably most important to paradox, a way to limit runaway expansion and improvement in a way that is fairly independent of country size. Bigger countries can only throw so much money at the problem with advisors.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

As a historian I can securely say that CK2 does a fantastic job of representing the time the Persian empire was restored to it's peak by a Norse Jain who was also a Karling and a descendant of Mohammed.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

From what I read on the official forums, selection should be done by Friday, and everyone gets a mail. Usually it will read LOL NOPE (or words to that effect).

Good at least we get a rejection letter.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/rules-for-user-made-mods-and-edits-of-pds-games.708039/page-37#post-20198916

quote:

Not sure what you want me to comment on, Every one of these questions has been answered time and time again.

No, we have no plans to open the forums wide open.
I never said and no one has ever said that github or any other service could not be used for internal organization or version control. What you cannot do is have it available to the public, this means taking reasonable steps to ensure it is not widely available, such as posting links in the forums, or using the name of the mod or the game in the title, I would suggest something like we use (A project name). If some person goes browsing and happens to find your project, well that is life, You can not be held responsible for that unless you contributed in someway.

Any mod is free to have a webpage or social media, as long as on those pages you do not allow DL links. Or have public forums. The only place you should be able to get your mod is through the automated Steam workshop DL, and through a link on modding sub forums here.

No the grandfathering will not change, Someone already repeated my pets in apartments analogue and although they discount it, it still works for me.

Also: this is thread is about modding rules, please contact Meneth about issues related to the Wiki.
*[emphasis my own]

Okay I've been bellyaching a little lately about some minor actions taken in certain mod threads on the Paradox forums, but for the love of God can someone please talk to the community managers. Please?

Mods shared on the Paradox forums not only can't share a Github link, they can't use the name of the mod for the Git project itself. I can't even fully express how dumb this ruling is on the forums itself because forum rule 2 states "You will not argue with, comment on or question the actions/authority/ or comments of the Paradox staff (Administrators, Moderators, etc.) in a public forum" (presumably in the Paradox forums alone, if I get dinged there for what I say here then Lord Almighty), so I'm just angrily fuming at the whole thing.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 12, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You wouldn't download a bicycle, thus you should not make components of mod recognizable and assemblable from a public repository.

e. Its an aspect of their strategy of mods as soft DRM, which I think might come from on high from Johan so you're probably saddled with it if you want to play in their official ecosystem. I'd probably take the angle of bellyaching for a modder's repository hosted by Paradox. They are really married to the whole idea of community as soft DRM so I'd doubt they'd budge on external stuff, but could be guilted into making the tools available on their terms.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 12, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Every forum gets the moderation it deserves.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

zedprime posted:

e. Its an aspect of their strategy of mods as soft DRM, which I think might come from on high from Johan so you're probably saddled with it if you want to play in their official ecosystem. I'd probably take the angle of bellyaching for a modder's repository hosted by Paradox. They are really married to the whole idea of community as soft DRM so I'd doubt they'd budge on external stuff, but could be guilted into making the tools available on their terms.
I still dispute the idea that Github is a potential external portal. All the discussions can be closed down, all comments locked, any path to fostering a community outside the official forums can be shut down quite easily on Github. There's the matter of still being able to Google the mod and finding a download link that way, but that's easily done for mods not hosted on Github as well. Thus, the only interaction non-devs have with it is the download button, and then it's functionally the same to them as a mediafire link, but still incredibly, incredibly useful and convenient for people actively working on the mod.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Who is he referring to with the grandfathering?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Some mods host their files on Moddb. Elder Kings, I think?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kavak posted:

AGOT, who gets their own forums and can host their own downloads and whatnot.

I'm sorry, I mean the mod based around that one book series that has a show on HBO, since I'm not allowed to say the mod name on this forum.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I imagine Kaiserreich is covered under that as well, though I wonder if HoI IV will change that (We'll host that version on Steam if we have to)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Kavak posted:

I imagine Kaiserreich is covered under that as well, though I wonder if HoI IV will change that (We'll host that version on Steam if we have to)

Excuse me, but you cannot even speak about said alternate history mod about WWII in this forum. You have been reported to podx authorities.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Ah, but the Kaiserreich forums are clearly only for internal development purposes and certainly do not provide any download links, of course.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Ah, but the Kaiserreich forums are clearly only for internal development purposes and certainly do not provide any download links, of course.

Yes, and all download links are to Paradox-approved sites (MEGA, Mediafire, etc.)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Yes, and all download links are to Paradox-approved sites (MEGA, Mediafire, etc.)
Hey wait a minute, you guys have a moddb link too!

Which coincidentally is a link I discovered on the Paradox forums and certainly wasn't something I was able to find on the internal development-only Kaiserreich forums as a guest.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The whole walled garden approach just feels incredibly outmoded in this era. It's a total pain for the community and has a dubious impact on pirates.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Convenient for me is the fact that I've never talked about my Rise of Islam mod on the pdox forums so you guys have an exclusive mod here. :unsmith:

When it's released.

In like 2017.

:smith:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Convenient for me is the fact that I've never talked about my Rise of Islam mod on the pdox forums so you guys have an exclusive mod here. :unsmith:

When it's released.

In like 2017.

:smith:

So long as it's not 2017 in the Islamic calendar.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kavak posted:

I'd honestly almost say that someone should just get together and make a Kaiserreich game on its own, but I know in my heart of hearts that it would turn into a clusterfuck like East vs. West and that would be the worst crime of all.

Or Paradox finally realizes how wildly popular Kaiserreich is and just hires Kavak & co. to work on HoI4's first alt-hist DLC, which is probably the far better option

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It seems like the National Focus system is stealing most of the good stuff from Kaiserreich anyway.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Drone posted:

Or Paradox finally realizes how wildly popular Kaiserreich is and just hires Kavak & co. to work on HoI4's first alt-hist DLC, which is probably the far better option

Imagine what they could do if they had a budget. Paradox is probably burned out on E v. W, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gort posted:

It seems like the National Focus system is stealing most of the good stuff from Kaiserreich anyway.

Yeah, modding is going to be so easy with that thing.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Imagine what they could do if they had a budget. Paradox is probably burned out on E v. W, though.

Yes, they are. To the extent that they have sworn never to license out their engine again I believe.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pharnakes posted:

Yes, they are. To the extent that they have sworn never to license out their engine again I believe.

All the more reason for them to do Kaiserreich in-house :getin:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

As much as being paid to mod video games excites me, I think they said they want to leave alt-history scenarios as a modder-only thing. I don't know if it has something to do with the hilarious uproar over Sunset Invasion or if it's just policy.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

I mean, one one hand it's kind of a shame, since you can imagine that maybe eventually it would produce an interesting game PDox wouldn't make on their own time. On the other hand, licensing engines resulted in two projects that crashed and burned hard, and two completed projects that didn't sell worth a drat, so it's not like it's a loving mystery why they've decided that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kavak posted:

Darkest Hour is a legacy game, I believe, and the "DRM" ruling only goes over EU 3/4, HoI 3, Victoria 2 and CK2. I think.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I imagine Darkest Hour is the shining beacon in the dark in respect to licensing things out.

To be fair, Paradox's luck in that regard is probably the same hit & miss ratio for any major studio actually developing any of their concepts.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Westminster System posted:

I imagine Darkest Hour is the shining beacon in the dark in respect to licensing things out.

To be fair, Paradox's luck in that regard is probably the same hit & miss ratio for any major studio actually developing any of their concepts.

They got DH from licencing out HOI2, but by the same token they also got "the Courage Push the Bravery" from the same IP.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MinistryofLard posted:

They got DH from licencing out HOI2, but by the same token they also got "the Courage Push the Bravery" from the same IP.

Is there actually a story behind that quote? I mean it's obviously translated into English (poorly) from some other language where I'm sure it makes sense. Is it going to be your Paradox forums usual suspects (Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian, Bulgarian?)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I googled it and found an attempt Chief Savage Man made to figure it out almost 4 years ago :v: https://drawception.com/viewgame/my8GphB84S/courage-push-the-bravery/ (Mildly :nws:)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What the hell is "the Courage Push the Bravery"? The only thing I can find by googling it is that it is some guy's signature from the paradox forums with "- Iron Cross" added. So it sounds like some nazi poo poo.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Randarkman posted:

What the hell is "the Courage Push the Bravery"? The only thing I can find by googling it is that it is some guy's signature from the paradox forums with "- Iron Cross" added. So it sounds like some nazi poo poo.

Iron Cross was an absolutely batshit "expansion" for HoI II that featured terrifying tech and province counts, awful translation, and required an irreversible overwrite of an existing HoI II or HoI II-derivative install.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ha, I just noticed it's not even on Steam anymore (I'm pretty sure it was at some point?)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kavak posted:

Iron Cross was an absolutely batshit "expansion" for HoI II that featured terrifying tech and province counts, awful translation, and required an irreversible overwrite of an existing HoI II or HoI II-derivative install.

Ah, the "total realism/full historical accuracy"-school of modding.

Was it filled to the brim with nazi stuff as well?

e: though I guess this wasn't technically "modding"

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Yeah "the Courage push thee bravery" stuff is from Iron Cross.