Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Agrajag posted:

having regular sales on poo poo that doesn't exist for a game that doesn't exist from a company that has no track record. this poo poo should be scream scam to anyone that sees it.

That is because Star Citizens are some of the most gullible retards on the planet. They have absolutely no self respect and will let someone poo poo in their mouth just for the privilege of saying it tastes good. Then they will fight people for saying 'Hey, why did you let that guy poo poo in your mouth?'

CIG has absolutely nothing behind it except a 'creative visionary', which means jack poo poo. Peter Molyneux was a 'creative visionary', Spore was backed by a 'creative visionary'. Duke Nukem Forever was backed by a 'creative visionary'.

Vision without perspective is worth nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Perspective is just a bunch of RULES put in place by evil publishers to limit what we can see and dream.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

That is because Star Citizens are some of the most gullible retards on the planet. They have absolutely no self respect and will let someone poo poo in their mouth just for the privilege of saying it tastes good. Then they will fight people for saying 'Hey, why did you let that guy poo poo in your mouth?'

CIG has absolutely nothing behind it except a 'creative visionary', which means jack poo poo. Peter Molyneux was a 'creative visionary', Spore was backed by a 'creative visionary'. Duke Nukem Forever was backed by a 'creative visionary'.

Vision without perspective is worth nothing.

burn all evil publishers!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Yeehaw- it's Around the Verse!

I'm sure AP will have fun with this. (Although it's only 10 frames per second so maybe it'll make for a crap gif...)

--

AWKWARD

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 12, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

G0RF posted:

I'm sure AP will have fun with this. (Although it's only 10 frames per second so maybe it'll make for a crap gif...)

Glad they're spending more time on actual ships in their spaceship game. The Constellation redesign looks really good, although not any more functional or flight ready than the old hangar model. I'm sure in another year's time, the next redesign will look even better.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Those thumbs tho...

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
those thumbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

The Saddest Robot posted:

Don't forget the costs involved with hiring all those actors.

Is there a good educated guess on how much their celebrity actors would cost? Seems insane to me that they'd get Gary Oldman for a Kickstarted space sim game.

Edit: I wonder how long your average whale is willing to wait for the PU to come out in a vaguely playable form before they start to panic? How can they buy that the PU is in the QA phase when they refuse to release any footage of the game play in action.

walruscat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 12, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"Game Support Manager Will Leverett"
So, what's his job?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

walruscat posted:

Is there a good educated guess on how much their celebrity actors would cost? Seems insane to me that they'd get Gary Oldman for a Kickstarted space sim game.

well i can only assume, in Roberts' case, it would be more akin to a movie shoot. so, what is the average pay for Gary Oldman in a movie shoot?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

"Game Support Manager Will Leverett"
So, what's his job?

Mostly emotional support for shitizens waiting for their game

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Agrajag posted:

well i can only assume, in Roberts' case, it would be more akin to a movie shoot. so, what is the average pay for Gary Oldman in a movie shoot?

anyones guess really, google says between 2 and 8 million for a movie.

take note oldman is also the #1 earner for 2015, at 58 million.

I'd imagine they paid somewhere in the range of 5 million for :gary:, it isn't cheap to hire the number 1 man in hollywood

good use of backer funds chris!

http://en.mediamass.net/people/gary-oldman/highest-paid.html

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It was all worth it for Oldman mocap face :gary:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sappo569 posted:

I'd imagine they paid somewhere in the range of 5 million for :gary:

:gary: Worth every penny :yarg:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Saddest Robot posted:

Perspective is just a bunch of RULES put in place by evil publishers to limit what we can see and dream.

Agrajag posted:

burn all evil publishers!

I know, so evil! The thing is, if you don't have a publisher you need a producer or project lead to keep things focused.

A good producer knows when to step back and let the artist art and then knows when to step in and say 'no, this is crazy'. They also have defined goals and to say it is done.

Also art with limitations sometimes produces the best work because it forces you to think creatively and make do with what you have. Art through adversity. Sometimes when you are given an unlimited amount of time and a lot of money, you end up going nowhere because you begin to polish minutiae. Especially if you don't have someone giving advice or you not taking it.

Agrajag posted:

Well, HTC paid Oldman 12 million for a commercial. He is also the highest paid actor in the world. He earned 58 million between October 2014 and October 2015. So someone can break down each movie and can come up with his cost on SC. My guess would be at the very least 5 to 8 mill.

EDIT:

And beaten!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

Someone said it before, but they seem to hate letting the daily income tick below was it 30k?

They really hate funding going below 20k and have for a good couple of years now. In the past, before they said they'd give a weeks notice before any sale, I predicted a couple of surprise sales as it was such a set pattern, anywhere near 20k/day and a wild sale would appear from nowhere. There's probably good reason behind it, harder to start something from cold rather than keep it drifting along. They do have a ton more backers now so you'd have though 20k was easier, it's not easy anymore.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

A low zoom one, sure. I glanced at the picture about an hour ago but can't open it here at work. It looked somewhere inbetween a 1-3x.

Still, you're not going to see that much of the scope from your POV in real life. Video games are horrible at modeling what it's like to look through an optic of any sort.

Pretty much....it's one of those things that behaves one way in the realm pure physical recreation (look through tube, see image the diameter of said tube, make all things not in tube view blurry, go to lunch) and yet is perceived completely differently by your brain when you actually *do* it. Looking through even a 3x optic pretty much eliminates all vision outside of the area you're seeing through the sight, and your brain hyper focuses on what's available so it effectively takes up your entire perceived field of view. It's different when you're using a true 1x sight like an EOTech where there's zero magnification and the sight does some trickery that actually presents the hologram reticle out on the visual plane of your target (kinda hard to explain, but super cool in practice). Basically the more you focus on your actual target, the clearer the weapon sight actually becomes, making it super easy to use with both eyes open (and much easier to accurately represent in the context of a game). You can somewhat use a 2x-3x sight with both eyes open, but once you get above 3x it's pretty futile because your brain will just block out the eye looking down the sight since it's completely blurry in contrast to your free eye that's actually, you know...seeing things.

TLDR - All magnified game optics up close are bullshit unless it's basically a black screen with an image in the middle.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i cant imagine at this stage in development what type of people would buy enough ships to fund this piece of poo poo 20k a day minimum

christ

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AP posted:

They really hate funding going below 20k and have for a good couple of years now. In the past, before they said they'd give a weeks notice before any sale, I predicted a couple of surprise sales as it was such a set pattern, anywhere near 20k/day and a wild sale would appear from nowhere. There's probably good reason behind it, harder to start something from cold rather than keep it drifting along. They do have a ton more backers now so you'd have though 20k was easier, it's not easy anymore.

I think even the true believers are losing patience. I notice a lot more negativity on r/starcitizen that isn't downvoted into oblivion. If PU2.0 is a flop I think we'll see a lot of people renouncing their faith :munch:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AP posted:

This is the ponzi scheme tipping point. Eventually there simply aren't enough buyers to feed the beast anymore and the people you have milked can no longer sustain you, because you have become too bloated.

In ponzi schemes, this is keeping the high payouts. In SC it is keeping up the ridiculous development and demands of CR.

Your whales have typically spent all they have on you and the small amounts they can send don't cut it. The big money that's left isn't going to touch you because they tend to be able to smell poo poo like this. SC is reaching the saturation point, if it hasn't already. It is going to need it's smaller donors to donate larger amounts because new blood is too difficult to find and are highly unlikely going to put in anything more than the minimal amount. And when you add to more and more of your original donors getting suspicious and pulling their money, well, that's when the Jenga tower collapses.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Eonwe posted:

i cant imagine at this stage in development what type of people would buy enough ships to fund this piece of poo poo 20k a day minimum

christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2d0-OPQ4Rs

Except instead of John Travolta it's Chris Roberts and instead of a rat it's a jpeg

I wish I knew photochops and had talent

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

"FREELANCER REWORK CONCEPT ART
(Work-in-Progress)"

These 7 words say so very, very much about CIG, its operational efficiency, 'The State of The Game', and more.

It's a WORK-IN-PROGRESS bit of CONCEPT ART for a REWORK of the Freelancer.

Why that doesn't terrify backers at this point I have no idea- but oh well...

---

Also, that dude doing crunches looks like his arms are as long as his legs...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 12, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
How is it possible they don't have something better to show off. Literally anything would be better. How.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

AP posted:

It's easy to figure now why the funding is down. Most people are waiting for the "anniversary" sale. Only people who are giving up money now are those "I will show those SA trolls" spite pledgers.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
Per this week's ATV Ship Shape:
Chris Smith has been working on the Constellation... since loving February! You could make a human being in the same amount of time it took them to re-work one ship!

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

G0RF posted:

"FREELANCER REWORK CONCEPT ART
(Work-in-Progress)"

These 7 words say so very, very much about CIG, it's operational efficiency, 'The State of The Game', and more.

It's a WORK-IN-PROGRESS bit of CONCEPT ART for a REWORK of the Freelancer.

Why that doesn't terrify backers at this point I have no idea- but oh well...

Also, that dude doing crunches looks like his arms are as long as his legs...

Hahahahaha they are reworking a ship that has no loving game to play in. This is the sort of poo poo you do YEARS after the game is released. Not to mention the ships that aren't even modeled.

How the gently caress do you even know if it needs one with no game to play in? How does this not prove all the stories about CR being a deluded mushmouth that sends poo poo for revision over and over with nothing ever getting accomplished? Holy poo poo.

Get your money out now, just chargeback because gently caress. You only do this if you want to attract more buyers for a ship. Which means they need money.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

--

AWKWARD

Look at those tiny flailing t-rex arms.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Dapper Dan posted:

Well, HTC paid Oldman 12 million for a commercial. He is also the highest paid actor in the world. He earned 58 million between October 2014 and October 2015. So someone can break down each movie and can come up with his cost on SC. My guess would be at the very least 5 to 8 mill.

EDIT:

And beaten!

Vocal work is paid at a different rate. Vocal + facial capture is slightly more, but it is not much. That's what the on-going negotiations are about : http://variety.com/2015/film/news/sag-aftra-video-game-voice-actors-authorize-strike-1201612750/

Note that for celebrities: Chapelsky told Reuters that top talent commonly receives “in the high five figures for a single session.”

So he would pull in somewhere between 90,000-500,000 for his session, just based on estimates for other actors. Gary tends to like the work and charge a lower fee, which is why he shows up often in games:
The Legend of Spyro
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Blackops
Lego Dimensions
etc

He's a really nice dude.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

How is it possible they don't have something better to show off. Literally anything would be better. How.

Live stream in a week, they need anything new that looks good for then.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Nomenclature posted:

Per this week's ATV Ship Shape:
Chris Smith has been working on the Constellation... since loving February! You could make a human being in the same amount of time it took them to re-work one ship!

Games with large complex ship designs tend to take months to make a delivery. A battleship in World of Warships (just as an example) takes around six months on average, with the more complex ones (Tipitz) taking up to a year.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Vocal work is paid at a different rate. Vocal + facial capture is slightly more, but it is not much. That's what the on-going negotiations are about : http://variety.com/2015/film/news/sag-aftra-video-game-voice-actors-authorize-strike-1201612750/

Note that for celebrities: Chapelsky told Reuters that top talent commonly receives “in the high five figures for a single session.”

So he would pull in somewhere between 90,000-500,000 for his session, just based on estimates for other actors. Gary tends to like the work and charge a lower fee, which is why he shows up often in games:
The Legend of Spyro
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Blackops
Lego Dimensions
etc

He's a really nice dude.

And how many sessions did he do? They were VOing and mocapping for 66 days.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

DarkRefreshment posted:

It's easy to figure now why the funding is down. Most people are waiting for the "anniversary" sale.

Not sure if joking as people actually believe that, funding drifts downwards when nothing is happening, it's interesting to watch. More interesting than the modules to me anyway.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Loiosh posted:

Games with large complex ship designs tend to take months to make a delivery. A battleship in World of Warships (just as an example) takes around six months on average, with the more complex ones (Tipitz) taking up to a year.
There's a pretty big difference between a loving battleship and an already mostly designed ship with four rooms!

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

And how many sessions did he do? They were VOing and mocapping for 66 days.

I do not know. It depends on how often they have his character speak besides this presentation. I'd guess they'd at least book a full schedule with him for a day to get all of the speeches, then another day if they needed to do setup (blocking and such) for work with other characters. Assuming SQ42 comes out, there will be more information then.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

From this month's studio report:

I can't think of any image that encompasses how Star Citizen has changed better than this one.

I got money this exact store front will be on every planet.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Loiosh posted:

The issue isn't that it is taking 9 months.

The issue is that they are doing multiple iterations for ships and they're all taking 12 months.

And they're not flyable yet so the cutlass is a prime example of a ship they made pretty and then when put in engine can't fly for poo poo.

Got only knows what the freelancer is going to do (if the game comes out at all).

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Nomenclature posted:

There's a pretty big difference between a loving battleship and an already mostly designed ship with four rooms!

I gather that depends on what you are doing. If you're just doing a retexture (for picking up PBR, for example) that can be a month or more of work with a complex design where you have a large number of materials and a complex texture atlas to work with. World of Warships spent 4 months redesigning one of the cruiser class ships just to make some adjustments to the torpedo tubes it was using. Long lead times are not indicative of an issue on their own. Most of the people here feel that those, tied with the steady changes to the game engine, and length of time between modules releases means CIG's development is problematic.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I do not know. It depends on how often they have his character speak besides this presentation. I'd guess they'd at least book a full schedule with him for a day to get all of the speeches, then another day if they needed to do setup (blocking and such) for work with other characters. Assuming SQ42 comes out, there will be more information then.

So one or two days with each of the celebrities? What were they doing the other 55 days?

Your previous post seems designed to give the impression that they spent very little on the talent (hey, maybe they only spent 90 grand on Oldman!) when the total truth seems more likely to be that they spent many many millions on talent and VO and Mocap. And are still not done spending on it.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I gather that depends on what you are doing. If you're just doing a retexture (for picking up PBR, for example) that can be a month or more of work with a complex design where you have a large number of materials and a complex texture atlas to work with. World of Warships spent 4 months redesigning one of the cruiser class ships just to make some adjustments to the torpedo tubes it was using. Long lead times are not indicative of an issue on their own. Most of the people here feel that those, tied with the steady changes to the game engine, and length of time between modules releases means CIG's development is problematic.

Well we know what cig is not trying to do - release a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

So one or two days with each of the celebrities? What were they doing the other 55 days?

Probably working with less expensive actors would be my guess. For something like this where you need a log shoot but don't have a large budget exclusively for talent, you'd want to select skilled, but not named talents. Previous to Last of Us, for example, you'd want someone like Troy Baker for a lead roll. He's an excellent actor, but worked at SAG standard rate ($750 an hour with no points). This is why you have a good casting director who can find that talent.

quote:

Your previous post seems designed to give the impression that they spent very little on the talent (hey, maybe they only spent 90 grand on Oldman!) when the total truth seems more likely to be that they spent many many millions on talent and VO and Mocap. And are still not done spending on it.

I am not trying to be disingenuous, I would think my posting history would indicate that, just explaining my point of view and backing it up with data. With a celebrity actor, if you were looking to not spent heavily, you'd cast a less known talent as your leads and then use celebrity actors for featured roles that would not require long sessions. Also, they can chose to wave their standard fees and work at rate scale. Robert Downey Jr, as an example, did this for CHEF.

• Locked thread