Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
You guys are absurdly sensitive.

always be closing posted:

I remember in hs wrestling, only the best wrestlers wore those ugly green and pink shoes. It has more to do with not being outlandish unless your good, than whatever gender stuff you guys got going on.

This is the reasoning behind my throwaway comment, and not some wierd masculinity issues everyone seems to be projecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for knee pads? My knees have basically permanent bruises right on the inside of my knee caps and it's getting a little old.

Preferably pink since that seems to be the gooncensus.

My old wrestling coach swore by volleyball kneepads.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I prefer wrestling knee pads to volleyball kneepads because they are lower profile and I like getting the compression/warmth of a neoprene sleeve. I've got lovely knees and I wear these Asics knee pads. I generally get about a year out of them before they need to be replaced. If I wear them I don't have any knee issues. If I forget them and roll anyways my knees complain for the following week.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Brute Torqs are pretty awesome. I've never had serious knee problems though.

http://www.amazon.com/Brute-Torq-Wrestling-Knee-Pad/dp/B0027L7X3C

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I have some tendonitis in my right knee (to match the tendonitis in my right elbow). Bruising doesn't bother me, but maybe one of these is what I've been needing for that.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

I remember in hs wrestling, only the best wrestlers wore those ugly green and pink shoes. It has more to do with not being outlandish unless your good, than whatever gender stuff you guys got going on.

The 'Sissy Agressor' shoe. Very problematic.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Started BJJ this week and outside of the tops of my toes being totally raw, I'm enjoying it.

Very overwhelming but I like it so far.

What are some things I can be doing by myself to continue to learn and practice?

Also anyone have good resources for videos or articles to read about the basics and learning BJJ in general?

I'd like to do some learning on my own of just basic maneuvers, etc but I figure there is probably so much worthless mma crap out there I really wouldn't know where to look.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Alfalfa posted:

Started BJJ this week and outside of the tops of my toes being totally raw, I'm enjoying it.

What are some things I can be doing by myself to continue to learn and practice?

Also anyone have good resources for videos or articles to read about the basics and learning BJJ in general?

I'd like to do some learning on my own of just basic maneuvers, etc but I figure there is probably so much worthless mma crap out there I really wouldn't know where to look.

Good seeing you here. Watching a lot of videos, reading book and general visualisation helps a lot.

Stephan Kesting on youtube has a lot of good technique and it's all good.
Roy Dean is really creepy but has a lot of good stuff too. Not sure if his youtube stuff is good, but he has a "blue belt essentials" or something like that series that is stellar (if only he wasn't so creepy)
jiu jitsu university by Saulo Ribeiro is the n#1 book that is always recommended. I loved it personally.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 11, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Alfalfa posted:

90% of the things you do in randori, especially as a white belt, are going to be variations of bridging, shrimping/hip escapes, and technical lifts. Incorporating those into your warmups for all your non-BJJ workouts will go a long ways towards helping your development, as long as you make sure you're doing them correctly.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Roy Dean is really creepy

haha everyone I know says this, I like Roy :smith:

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

KingColliwog posted:

Good seeing you here. Watching a lot of videos, reading book and general visualisation helps a lot.

Stephan Kesting on youtube has a lot of good technique and it's all good.
Roy Dean is really creepy but has a lot of good stuff too. Not sure if his youtube stuff is good, but he has a "blue belt essentials" or something like that series that is stellar (if only he wasn't so creepy)
jiu jitsu university by Saulo Ribeiro is the n#1 book that is always recommended. I loved it personally.

fatherdog posted:

90% of the things you do in randori, especially as a white belt, are going to be variations of bridging, shrimping/hip escapes, and technical lifts. Incorporating those into your warmups for all your non-BJJ workouts will go a long ways towards helping your development, as long as you make sure you're doing them correctly.

Sweet thanks.

Day 3 was today and although I'm exhausted, the only thing that hurts are the freaking tops of my toes since they are pretty much raw. Figure that comes with it though the first few weeks/months.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup. You'll get used to it. All the little aches will go too. I used to get cuts on the base of my feet but they've calloused up now.

Stretch for at least 15 minutes after every class. Can't emphasize the importance of this enough.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Alfalfa posted:

Sweet thanks.

Day 3 was today and although I'm exhausted, the only thing that hurts are the freaking tops of my toes since they are pretty much raw. Figure that comes with it though the first few weeks/months.

After a while your feet will get full of callouses and you won't feel a thing. Even when I stop training for like 4 months if I'm injured the skin on my feet remains hard and indestructible. And unlike in weightlifting they should not get ripped off so you'll be set for life.

Also, if the top of your toes are raw, you might not be using your feet correctly.

If your feet are dead like in this picture you'll get way more mat burn and it's also incorrect most the time :

If you have active feet like the guy in white you should get less mat burn and you'll also have more power :

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Looks like Mark Hall has committed to Penn State. I haven't followed NCAA wrestling closely since the guys I recognized from high school graduated out, but I'm really excited to see how his scholastic career shapes up.

For some minimal context, here he is teching a 4x PA State Champ in 28 seconds (in Freestyle, but still):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Vtl-t0J7E

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

If you have active feet like the guy in white you should get less mat burn and you'll also have more power :

If you have "active feet" like the guy in white while kneeling in someone's guard, you're leaning too far forward and your balance is off. "On your toes" and "laces to the mat"are both the right way to have your feet, depending on the situation.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

fatherdog posted:

If you have "active feet" like the guy in white while kneeling in someone's guard, you're leaning too far forward and your balance is off. "On your toes" and "laces to the mat"are both the right way to have your feet, depending on the situation.

I was not talking about that specific position, it was the only picture with feet like that I found. But as a general advice, I find that newbies are always "laces to the mat" and that's why they get so much mat burn. Like they'll push with the top of their feet all the time

But yeah, you are right and thanks for adding precision.

Yuns posted:

I keep dead feet for safety related reasons in certain positions. It's not wrong. It's just a compromise.

I mostly can't have active feet on my right leg nowadays because my big toe got injured many time and has horrible flexibility so I know you can do most thing with dead feet. The way I phrased it in my previous post is bad and I didn't mean to say have active feet all the time no matter what. For clarification, I was just mentionning how it can be a cause of mat burn in begginers. I see a lot of people try to push someone who is in turtle for example while having dead feet and of course that will destroy your toes

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 12, 2015

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I keep dead feet for safety related reasons in certain positions. It's not wrong. It's just a compromise.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yuns posted:

Raw toes just mean you don't have calluses yet, nothing more than that.

Also

Been a four stripe white belt four like 5 years. Though admittedly I was only doing Judo for 4 of those 5 years and just switched back to BJJ last winter (and travel for work 1-2 weeks a month so haven't had terribly great attendance since the switch). Still, feels good to have some color.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 12, 2015

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Congrats man!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Congrats, did you get your whipping?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

My club does throws instead, which is random but whatever works.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Congrats!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Congrats!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

very nice

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Congrats!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Grapple on the Gridiron is tomorrow at noon eastern on BTN2Go for anybody who wants to watch. Oklahoma State at Iowa. Meet is being held in Iowa's football stadium and they've sold 35,000 tickets so far.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Gi advice please. Who makes good small gis? Currently wearing a Storm Pro Light GB A1 but even this is too big for me (74kg). The woman inspecting my gear at the comp said I should get a smaller size but what's smaller than A1? Or rather, who does A1s smaller than Storm? It's the jacket that envelops me, the trousers are fine.
Thanks.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

How tall are you? There are A0 gis but you may need a A0 Tall or A1 Slim depending on height etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Gi advice please. Who makes good small gis? Currently wearing a Storm Pro Light GB A1 but even this is too big for me (74kg). The woman inspecting my gear at the comp said I should get a smaller size but what's smaller than A1? Or rather, who does A1s smaller than Storm? It's the jacket that envelops me, the trousers are fine.
Thanks.

Keep your A1 pants and buy a kids size top. A1 is tiny though, especially since 74kg isn't like you are weirdly undersized or something, do you have T-rex arms?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Congrats man!

Gadamer posted:

Congrats!

Kekekela posted:

Congrats!

Yuns posted:

Congrats!

And thanks to ya'll for this. I know blue isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. But it is still cool to get some validation as not being a rank beginner on the ground.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I dunno, I think these Storm gis are created extra baggy for some reason. Nah I don't think my arms are especially long or short. I'm 5' 9" or so I guess. Wish there was a place in Scotland where you could try these things on before buying.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Finally get home to watch some Cowboy wrestling and stupid Gilman is beating Klimara.

This is really cool in the football stadium though.

Edit: Chance Marstellar is just completely gassed. This is crazy.

Edit 2: Chance survives. He looked awful after the first period, it's probably just not being used to being at 157 and he gets it together down the road.

Edit: Hawkeyes win. :sigh:

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 14, 2015

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

ICHIBAHN posted:

I dunno, I think these Storm gis are created extra baggy for some reason. Nah I don't think my arms are especially long or short. I'm 5' 9" or so I guess. Wish there was a place in Scotland where you could try these things on before buying.

Storm gis are loving huge for some reason. I'm 6"3 230lbs and an A3 is the right size for me.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thoguh posted:

And thanks to ya'll for this. I know blue isn't a big deal in the scheme of things. But it is still cool to get some validation as not being a rank beginner on the ground.

Congrats bro.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
In wrestling news, Penn State vs Virginia Tech is going to be on ESPN3 today and you can log into the watch ESPN app and watch it there at 1pm (eastern time).Watch it :colbert:

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Posted by a friend that just got back from the Metamoris Challenger Finals:

quote:

The Metamoris studio is a dump on the edge of Compton. They don't even have enough printed contracts for us to sign lol.

Keep it classy Ralek.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I used to train with the guy that won it. Marcel Goncalves Super hard worker.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Anybody watching this Berkut thing today? I don't really know what's going on but it seems to be a Metamoris clone from Moscow. Currently Dean Lister is being laid on by a Muhammad Kerimov.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Apparently it's fifteen minutes sub only, then a five minute tiebreaker round with points.

Andre Galvao vs Romulo Barral – no-gi
Arbi Muradov vs Alex Cabanes – no-gi
Felipe Pena vs Yuri Simoes – no-gi
AJ Agazarm vs Augusto ‘Tanquiho’ Mendes – gi
Paulo Miyao vs Samir Chantre – gi
Claudio Calasans vs Lucas Rocha – no-gi
Caio Terra vs Milton Bastos – gi
Joao Miyao vs Osvaldo ‘Queixinho’ Moizino – gi
Dean Lister vs Muhammad Kerimov – no-gi
Jackson Sousa vs Abdurakhman Bilarov – no-gi
Jeff Monson vs Khasan Abubakirov – no-gi
Rafael Navas vs Muhammad Abdulkaridov – no-gi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Lister blew out his shoulder defending an arm triangle and should seriously retire