Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

my dad posted:

Reinhard's got a shitton of admirals who are great fleet leaders, yet aren't really capable of working together, and often end up running into each other while seeking glory, so to speak.

Does this include that DAMNED Bittenfield? For some reason I found Reinhard repeatedly saying that in the one episode where they attack the overextended alliance invasion hilarious.
Bittenfield comes off a bit like he's trying to be a Gurren Lagann character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

my dad posted:

Reinhard commands men willing to die for him, Yang leads men (and women) who trust him to do his best to get them through the fight alive.

I always found it interesting that Yang's staff is a lot less flashy in their individual roles, yet as a whole they are noticeably more competent than Reinhard's staff. Reinhard's got a shitton of admirals who are great fleet leaders, yet aren't really capable of working together, and often end up running into each other while seeking glory, so to speak. They absolutely need Reinhard to keep them in line. On the other hand, Yang spent an entire episode trying to stop his logistics officer (if I recall correctly) from getting reassigned elsewhere, since he knows that competent men are hard to find, and all his plans are worth poo poo if his fleet isn't in the right shape to execute them (which you kinda need competent logistics guys for). And it's not the only time in the show where Yang goes out of his way to ensure the right person gets assigned to the right position. If I had to make a comparison, Reinhard's admirals are tools in a toolbox. Reinhard picks the right tool for every job (while every tool screams "Pick me!"), and gets it done, occasionally doing things with his own hands when the need arises. Yang's staff are a well oiled machine. He inputs his instructions, and poo poo gets done. This is why Reinhard fuming about being constantly outmatched by Yang is so ironic. His own mindset of seeing the world as being in a struggle between great heroes prevents him from understanding that Yang, the brilliant enemy he faces, is more than just Yang, the individual. (Spoilers about plot that happens fairly late) In a weird way, one of the best signs of Yang's competency is that he build a fleet that didn't crumble without him. They keep on fighting against ridiculous odds long after he dies - weakened by his absence but certainly not defeated, still benefiting greatly from the foundations he laid. On the other hand, the Empire shakes every time Reinhard catches a cold.

edit: Unrelated, my personal favorite characters are Alexandre Bewcock and his wife. She's only present in a couple of scenes, but that one moment when she's already prepared his uniform before that one battle is... Probably the most emotional moment in the show, at least to me.

Extra interesting in light of how Admiral Merkatz fits into Yang's organization.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DamnGlitch posted:

Bucock is incredible, and I love how they portray him. A great commander who isn't past his prime, but whose body has passed it.

"The collapse of a government is the sin of its rulers and leaders. The collapse of democratic rule is the sin of every citizen."

And on that somber note, anyone want a jazz remix?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Infected posted:

And it all ends with the world capital of Brisbane, Australia.

As an Australian I lol'd so hard when watching this part for the first time. Of all the places they could have picked they chose loving Brisbane.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I went to Brisbane once and I liked the place, mostly because they let me hug a Koala. :australia:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Khagan posted:

As an Australian I lol'd so hard when watching this part for the first time. Of all the places they could have picked they chose loving Brisbane.

Doesn't the original gundam stick the "world capital" in Australia, too? Fuckin Australia.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Msg stuck Australia with a colony drop.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

DamnGlitch posted:

Msg stuck Australia with a colony drop.

Yeah but I thought that was why.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Pretty sure that was the colony drop meant for Jaburo that went off course and then instead dropped on Australia.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Maybe Brisbane gets nuked in logh.

Oh well, gently caress Australia.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

my dad posted:

I always found it interesting that Yang's staff is a lot less flashy in their individual roles, yet as a whole they are noticeably more competent than Reinhard's staff.

This is the thing about democracies as well: it's not so much about the particular people in power than about the system that puts them in power so that the people which inhabit the positions are strictly not irreplaceable. In a more autocratic system, it's a lot more about the 'big' persons and the across-the-board influence, abilities and power they hold. Although we are talking about comparing two militaries here, so that thought might not apply that much.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

So, episode 20. Mittermeyer and Ruenthal defeat Ovlesser by getting the idiot to charge into a pit trap. On his own fortress. Was it always there, or did they dig it in front of him and he was too dumb to pay attention to it? :laugh:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

So, episode 20. Mittermeyer and Ruenthal defeat Ovlesser by getting the idiot to charge into a pit trap. On his own fortress. Was it always there, or did they dig it in front of him and he was too dumb to pay attention to it? :laugh:

They dug it in front of him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Ovlesser was too busy murdering dozens of their goons to notice, anyway.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

gourdcaptain posted:

Does this include that DAMNED Bittenfield? For some reason I found Reinhard repeatedly saying that in the one episode where they attack the overextended alliance invasion hilarious.
Bittenfield comes off a bit like he's trying to be a Gurren Lagann character.

That being said, sometimes the situation calls for a reckless hothead, in which case Bittenfeld is the most useful person to have around. I recall in the battle against Bucock during the invasion arc that he was the one who managed to break the enemy defenses with a solid head on charge, which ended what was a rather grinding battle for the Empire.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So this past month I finished watching all of the Gaidens (I'd watched LOGH in 2014-early 2015, but put the Gaidens off until recently).

A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights is great LOGH, and parts of Spiral Labyrinth are great as well, but I think my new favorite LOGH bits are 1. Mutineers (Reinhard learning how to slum it with the commoners) and 2. The Third Battle of Tiamat. The Third Battle of Tiamat features the most stunningly incompetent of stunningly incompetent Alliance commanders, a bar so low I didn't think it would be possible to hit. Just sending your ships out in a random mess of a formation and saying that it was a pioneering new tactic? And then for the Imperial commanders to be all "We've never encountered this formation before, what do we do?" while Reinhard just facepalms for 10 minutes? Admiral Holland's incredible idiocy is amazing in a series that already contains military geniuses like Fork and Bittenfield (who is admittedly luckier than other idiots).

A Hundred Billion Stars is great because I love the contrast between the geriatric Admiral Grimmelshausen and Reinhard, an impatient and ambitious young man in a hurry. It's interesting how Reinhard learned that he had drastically misjudged Grimmelshausen.

Also it featured a cameo by Ovlesser, the scariest sonofabitch in the entire series.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Bucock is incredible, and I love how they portray him. A great commander who isn't past his prime, but whose body has passed it.

His death always gets to me, but you know what gets me even more? That loving scene where he's sitting in Alliance Command looking out at the sunset and solemnly thinking about his wife. I dunno why, but I turn into a big weepy baby every time I even think about it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The best part of the gaidens is the cameo by ultra-young Bucock, IMHO.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

His death always gets to me, but you know what gets me even more? That loving scene where he's sitting in Alliance Command looking out at the sunset and solemnly thinking about his wife. I dunno why, but I turn into a big weepy baby every time I even think about it.

I'm rewatching LOGH with my roommate who hasn't seen it before, and we just finished that battle. I seriously hope they don't gently caress up the new series. :smith:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Hello everyone. I thought some people in this thread might be interested to know that I'm going to be co-hosting a LOGH watch-along podcast at the start of the new year.

The hosts are:
  • me: likes anime, but has only seen the first few episodes of LOGH.
  • Another Person: is skeptical that there could be an anime he would like, and thus has not seen any LOGH.
  • randombattle: likes anime; has seen all LOGH (at least the main OVA)

We're going to watch things in the order they were released (1 movie or 4 episodes per week), so we're going to start with My Conquest is a Sea of Stars.

Currently the plan is to release the first episode on January 13th. We also want to encourage audience participation through tweets/comments/whatever.

Here are our announcement and information videos that should go over whatever other questions you might have.

Announcement Trailer
Information Video

Any questions, or suggestions to be had are super welcome.

I'll post the first episode in here once we release it. If there's interest I'll keep you guys updated; if not I'll knock it off.

Thanks for your time.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I'm the AP and the anime hater. I look forward to doing this.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I have 3 friends who hate anime but loved LOGH.. If you like Sci-fi or epics, or political intrigue and other space opera-ey goodness, you'll probably dig this show.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah. Based on the things I have heard from people who have watched this before, I expect to enjoy it and probably take the empty throne of "AP's Favourite Anime". Dry political intrigue, slow development and epics are basically my poo poo all over.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

yang wen-li is the best anime protagonist.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like your goal is to render in podcast form the 'Hey I'm watching LoGH for the first time holy shiiiiiiiiiit this is good' posts that we see in the thread every once in a while. I support this.

One suggestion, I'd slightly alter your chronological order and replace the first 2 episodes with Overture to a New Battle (movie 2). It covers the same content but is much better paced/animated than those first episodes, which give kind of a rough start to the story.

Consider the following:
Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Movie 2 - Overture to a New Battle (Replaces Episodes 1 and 2)
Main Series (Episode 3 to Episode 110)
(Optional Prequels)

Looking forward to this regardless.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
lemme know if you ever need somebody to fill in for your third

I need more excuses to rewatch LoGH

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Takes No Damage posted:

It sounds like your goal is to render in podcast form the 'Hey I'm watching LoGH for the first time holy shiiiiiiiiiit this is good' posts that we see in the thread every once in a while. I support this.

One suggestion, I'd slightly alter your chronological order and replace the first 2 episodes with Overture to a New Battle (movie 2). It covers the same content but is much better paced/animated than those first episodes, which give kind of a rough start to the story.

Consider the following:
Movie 1 - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars
Movie 2 - Overture to a New Battle (Replaces Episodes 1 and 2)
Main Series (Episode 3 to Episode 110)
(Optional Prequels)

Looking forward to this regardless.

We did talk about doing it like that, but ultimately we liked the idea of getting it like people who watched as it came out did, pacing issues or not.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Nah, I reckon our commentary will be more than 'woooow this was sweeeet son'. I watched Conquest the other day, spotted themes which I am gonna highlight and discuss as we go along if they continue.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Also, phone won't let me edit, but I am also on the side of chronology.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Patter Song posted:

So this past month I finished watching all of the Gaidens (I'd watched LOGH in 2014-early 2015, but put the Gaidens off until recently).

A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights is great LOGH, and parts of Spiral Labyrinth are great as well, but I think my new favorite LOGH bits are 1. Mutineers (Reinhard learning how to slum it with the commoners) and 2. The Third Battle of Tiamat. The Third Battle of Tiamat features the most stunningly incompetent of stunningly incompetent Alliance commanders, a bar so low I didn't think it would be possible to hit. Just sending your ships out in a random mess of a formation and saying that it was a pioneering new tactic? And then for the Imperial commanders to be all "We've never encountered this formation before, what do we do?" while Reinhard just facepalms for 10 minutes? Admiral Holland's incredible idiocy is amazing in a series that already contains military geniuses like Fork and Bittenfield (who is admittedly luckier than other idiots).

A Hundred Billion Stars is great because I love the contrast between the geriatric Admiral Grimmelshausen and Reinhard, an impatient and ambitious young man in a hurry. It's interesting how Reinhard learned that he had drastically misjudged Grimmelshausen.

Also it featured a cameo by Ovlesser, the scariest sonofabitch in the entire series.

Bittenfeld isn't lucky, he is one of the pre-eminent military geniuses in the LOGH universe and lumping him in with Forks makes no sense at all. A more comparable character to Bittenfeld would be General von Schoenkopf.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Another Person posted:

Yeah. Based on the things I have heard from people who have watched this before, I expect to enjoy it and probably take the empty throne of "AP's Favourite Anime". Dry political intrigue, slow development and epics are basically my poo poo all over.

I am another anime hater who loves LoGH.

And as somebody who has previously attempted to play the role of anime hater on a podcast, I encourage you to make plenty of predictions about what's going to happen. Right predictions are just as good as wrong ones.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

mikeycp posted:

Hello everyone. I thought some people in this thread might be interested to know that I'm going to be co-hosting a LOGH watch-along podcast at the start of the new year.

The hosts are:
  • me: likes anime, but has only seen the first few episodes of LOGH.
  • Another Person: is skeptical that there could be an anime he would like, and thus has not seen any LOGH.
  • randombattle: likes anime; has seen all LOGH (at least the main OVA)

We're going to watch things in the order they were released (1 movie or 4 episodes per week), so we're going to start with My Conquest is a Sea of Stars.

Currently the plan is to release the first episode on January 13th. We also want to encourage audience participation through tweets/comments/whatever.

Here are our announcement and information videos that should go over whatever other questions you might have.

Announcement Trailer
Information Video

Any questions, or suggestions to be had are super welcome.

I'll post the first episode in here once we release it. If there's interest I'll keep you guys updated; if not I'll knock it off.

Thanks for your time.
4 episodes is probably a good amount, and as someone who only recently this year started to listen to podcasts I'll definitely be listening along! I hope y'all have fun doing it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Raku posted:

lemme know if you ever need somebody to fill in for your third

I need more excuses to rewatch LoGH

Will do! At the very least you can send us questions or fun facts or whatever and there is a good chance we will address them!

Nate RFB posted:

4 episodes is probably a good amount, and as someone who only recently this year started to listen to podcasts I'll definitely be listening along! I hope y'all have fun doing it.

Yup! With our current schedule of 4 episodes or 1 movie/week we should finish in 44 weeks, which lets us have time to take breaks and still finish within a year!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I like podcasts and LoGH so I'll check out your show.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pewdiepie posted:

Bittenfeld isn't lucky, he is one of the pre-eminent military geniuses in the LOGH universe and lumping him in with Forks makes no sense at all. A more comparable character to Bittenfeld would be General von Schoenkopf.

Poor bittenfeld gets the bad rap cause of reinhard bein all U MESSED UP EVERYTHJNG GRRRRR that one time.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

mikeycp posted:

We did talk about doing it like that, but ultimately we liked the idea of getting it like people who watched as it came out did, pacing issues or not.

So, you're going to stop at episode 30-something and wait five years before continuing?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Poor bittenfeld gets the bad rap cause of reinhard bein all U MESSED UP EVERYTHJNG GRRRRR that one time.

Whenever the admirals meet up at the big table, Bittenfeld always comes up with a bad idea and the others are all "lol no u dumbshit"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You don't ask Bittenfeld where to go, you just give him directions and let the dude drive.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

LeadSled posted:

So, you're going to stop at episode 30-something and wait five years before continuing?

We're going to be watching it in a special time distortion studio, so we will unfortunately be inauthentic with our viewing schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's funny cuz early on Mittenmyer does something similar to the black lancers rushing in too fast, but he corrects for it like right away and it's no big deal.

Bittenfield is dumb but he's the dumbest guy on Reinhards Admiralty, which makes him still way fuckin smarter than all the nobels.