Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Told you guys. Look for Cruz to rise.

Among my little focus group, Trump actually stayed about the same. But Carson and Fiorina TANKED and the SOLE beneficiary was Ted Cruz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm the guy who has George Pataki as my second choice.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

babypolis posted:

its not like the debates actually add anything to the conversation or the media narrative. the democrats had the right idea with fewer debates

They actually had the right idea by not having 10+ howling retards on stage trying to talk over each other so they could maybe break the four minute mark in a two hour debate.

:byodood: We have to stop Hillary Clinton so we can be the one to start WWIII instead of her!

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

We talk about how awful the candidates are on economic issues but lets see how they do on national defense issues.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/more-questionable-things-the-republicans-said-about-def-1741986403

:downsbravo:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23X14HS4gLk

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Logikv9 posted:

The "oops" moment is still the best thing.

Thanks to Facebook's "on this day" feature, I was reminded of when I encountered this batch of release notes for Yelp:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Top City Homo posted:

if Jeb just murdered his grandfather maybe Thyssen wouldn't have been able to fund the Nazis

Jeb goes back in time to kill Baby Hitler, inadvertently kills Prescott Bush and has to become his own Grandfather.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

babypolis posted:

its not like the debates actually add anything to the conversation or the media narrative. the democrats had the right idea with fewer debates

On the other hand, until the last debate I had no idea that a certain metal was so precious to Republican presidential candidates without the surname Paul.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bryter posted:

On the other hand, until the last debate I had no idea that a certain metal was so precious to Republican presidential candidates without the surname Paul.

When they said we live in a second gilded age I didn't expect it to be so literal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Cruz is my nightmare candidate so please Trump kill Cruz next

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

only the sword of Chang can seal that goblin-faced oni's wretched soul

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

Cruz is my nightmare candidate so please Trump kill Cruz next

Looks like Ted's Trump rear end-kissing really was a brilliant move.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

lol bush

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bye Ben, time to start book shilling in 5th place as was your original hope

Now for my 2nd most terrifying candidate to take the stage I guess

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Epic High Five posted:

Bye Ben, time to start book shilling in 5th place as was your original hope

Now for my 2nd most terrifying candidate to take the stage I guess

I think you are reading that graph backwards..

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Smoothrich posted:

I think you are reading that graph backwards..

Referring to the one that has him at 13% from earlier with the double punch of the other wing nut Jesus freak on the rise

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Epic High Five posted:

Referring to the one that has him at 13% from earlier with the double punch of the other wing nut Jesus freak on the rise

Texas has a lot of black people and non-racist white people, don't be surprised if Carson ends up magically Rising in the Polls there like in most of the South with no explanation by the mainstream media

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Texas isn't the South.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Peachstapler posted:

Texas isn't the South.

I didn't say it was.. even though it was part of the Confederacy

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Jeb goes back in time to kill Baby Hitler, inadvertently kills Prescott Bush and has to become his own Grandfather.

through incompetence destroys his family dynasty and the nazis by gambling away their money

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Montasque posted:

Ben Carson has joined the NO FLY ZONE/World War 3 brigade:

“If they come into that area, after you have given them adequate warning, after we have talked to Putin, you shoot ‘em down, absolutely.”

When the host noted that shooting down a plane could provoke a response, Carson said, “Whatever happens next, we deal with it, but we can’t continue backing down because in the long run, that’ll hurt us.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christophermassie/ben-carson-if-russian-planes-enter-no-fly-zone-you-shoot-the?utm_term=.vvDz1e7YK#.mqBaQEzl9
So where were all these fuckers in 2011/2012/2013, when a Syrian no-fly zone could have actually done some good?

Oh yeah, criticizing Obama over Libya (where we did a no-fly zone). (Or in the case of Rubio, voting against a no-fly zone.):downsbravo:

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

We talk about how awful the candidates are on economic issues but lets see how they do on national defense issues.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/more-questionable-things-the-republicans-said-about-def-1741986403

:downsbravo:
This is a very good article, it's nice to see all the bullshit fact-checked piece by piece lie-by-lie.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the amazing thing to me here is that everyone outside the top four is polling within the margin of error and in some cases less than "IDGAF". even as second choices, most of the people below the top four are still within polling error or IDGAF.

based on this (meaningless) poll, I could see the final nomination be Trump/Cruz or Rubio/Carson. Carson and Cruz both poll well as second choices, but I don't see Donny picking Ben up on his ticket

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
If Trump wasn't in, this would definitely come down to Rubio vs. Cruz, and that would be interesting to watch by itself.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

fade5 posted:

So where were all these fuckers in 2011/2012/2013, when a Syrian no-fly zone could have actually done some good?

Oh yeah, criticizing Obama over Libya (where we did a no-fly zone). (Or in the case of Rubio, voting against a no-fly zone.):downsbravo:

This is a very good article, it's nice to see all the bullshit fact-checked piece by piece lie-by-lie.

Obama was the one ignoring people like John McCain and Lyndsey Graham, who follow the same analysts and facts I do. It has been a huge pathetic disgusting failure by Obama to totally ignore Syria for years now. Don't act smug just because you're stupid.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Someone please explain to me how Ted Cruz has anything approaching a plausible path to a nomination given that his ENTIRE PARTY hates the poo poo out of him and will gently caress him every chance they get. And, given the power of party apparatus, that's a LOT of chances.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

FairGame posted:

Someone please explain to me how Ted Cruz has anything approaching a plausible path to a nomination given that his ENTIRE PARTY hates the poo poo out of him and will gently caress him every chance they get. And, given the power of party apparatus, that's a LOT of chances.

His whole thing is basically "I can be trump too but also a Real, True, Honest Republican!"

Basically people think he has some sort of wider appeal that he doesn't really have.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I hope Cruz gets the nomination as he's a massive piece of poo poo that will get chewed up and spat out by Hillary or Sanders and get called out for literally never answering a question. I loving hate him, calling him a piece of poo poo undermines the fact that literal poo poo was bonded to something that was once useful.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Stay classy Politico:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Louisgod posted:

I hope Cruz gets the nomination as he's a massive piece of poo poo that will get chewed up and spat out by Hillary or Sanders and get called out for literally never answering a question. I loving hate him, calling him a piece of poo poo undermines the fact that literal poo poo was bonded to something that was once useful.

If he gets the nomination and the economy goes to poo poo over the summer there's a good chance he becomes president. That's enough to scare me.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Is total spending or just media buys?
e: media I guess given you can't class total spending into for/against candidate

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FairGame posted:

The calendar is heavily front loaded with Cruz-friendly states.

Win Iowa, lose New Hampshire, win South Carolina, maybe win NV (it's a caucus), then do well on March 1st and win most of AK, AL, GA, MN, OK, TN, TX, VA, and WY (conceding MA and VT).

Then, over the next two weeks, win some of KS, KY, LA, ID, MS, FL, MO, and NC.

Suddenly, it's late March, 1400+ delegates have been allocated, and Cruz has half of them. You need ~1200 to win, and it's hard for him to get 500 of the next 1000 (they're in places like CA, NY, PA, IL, NJ), but depending on the splits between the other candidates leading up to March, he could actually end up with 800 or 900 or 1000 delegates after March and then it's just hard to catch him.

(Delegates up to March 15th are awarded proportionally, but only among candidates getting 20%+ in either the district or the state. It's conceivable that Cruz, or another candidate, could end up with 2/3 or 3/4 or even 100% of the delegates in a state despite getting only 30% or 40% of the vote.)

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 12, 2015

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Another odd Ben Carson story: How he refused a DNA test to settle a ‘blackmail’ paternity suit

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

FairGame posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_1960

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_John_F._Kennedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_B._Johnson

In short, Ted Cruz wants to get enough support in the primaries to be selected VP, and then Cruz (and his father) will use some connections to call up old Castro communist sympathizing left-ring radical terrorist buddies to assassinate the POTUS, just like LBJ did

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 12, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Do we really need to take ted cruz, jindal and huckabee seriously now that they attended a Kevin Swanson conference where Kevin literally said we need laws on the books giving the death penalty for being gay?

More and more I feel like every single one of these candidates is a nonstarter for the general. They all seem to have worse credentials for running nationally than Romney did. And that's loving saying something.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

I'm the guy who has George Pataki as my second choice.

Jim Gilmore + George Pataki, that's the ticket.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Pinterest Mom posted:

The calendar is heavily front loaded with Cruz-friendly states.
Do the Republicans get superdelegates? I mean, they are supposed to be exactly this sort of a safety valve, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hillary's The Brief is excellent at smear. If anyone really pokes their head up for the general they're going to take the biggest lashing in modern political history. Remember, CNN needs to fill hours and commentating on hashtags for days at a time favors a younger voting base.

I wouldn't be afraid of Cruz. All the left needs to do is get "Crybaby Cruz shut down the government" to the reflexive level of "maybe Ben Carson gave himself a lobotomy".

• Locked thread