Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

i'm running templeOS so i just boot up the old god program and ask him to install emacs for me. problem solved. if he doesn't than it wasn't part of his plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just realized that I could use just miniconda HMMMM

yeah if you want to start from scratch miniconda is also really good

pram
Jun 10, 2001

b0red posted:

i'm running templeOS so i just boot up the old god program and ask him to install emacs for me. problem solved. if he doesn't than it wasn't part of his plan

templeOS is not a UNIX begone troll

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Mr Dog posted:

pacman shits on both deb+apt and rpm+dnf

PKGBUILDs are great too if you need something that isn't in a repo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
today I had to use ubuntu. it was unspeakably terrible. eventually I got gnome3 installed and it became merely unpleasant. that's my desktop linux update

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

I used to be a big yum advocate a long time ago because I thought Debian users were retards but I was wrong. apt was and continues to be far superior

feature-wise they are very similar

but i have never had apt crash while updating itself, so, there's that

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
to spice things up sometimes i use apt-get and sometimes i use aptitude

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lol at all the people complaining about the lack of python 3.

I amuse myself with my :nsa: contractor friend who's stuck with python 2.4

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

b0red posted:

pram posted:

templeOS is not a UNIX begone troll
linux and unix, the os for non believers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Phoenixan posted:

linux and unix, the os for non believers

it's packed with daemons to serve your every need

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
is there just a single book that i can read that will tell me everything i need to know about the best linux? also what is the best linux. seems like its fedora for the desktop and rhel for the non-desktop.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Barnyard Protein posted:

is there just a single book that i can read that will tell me everything i need to know about the best linux? also what is the best linux. seems like its fedora for the desktop and rhel for the non-desktop.

sounds good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

the rhce certification requirements are pretty comprehensive

you can just buy a book about that

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

just read the man pages, god

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Barnyard Protein posted:

go with ubuntu for desktop, any question you have just add +ubuntu and google it.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

mike12345 posted:

go with ubuntu for desktop, any question you have just add +ubuntu and google it.

thi sis true, any ubuntu problem you have, guaranteed 3000 idiots have done it before you

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

mike12345 posted:

go with ubuntu for desktop,

no dont

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i got the RHCSA & RHCE RHEL 7 book with the best rating on amazon. ofc i can get anything done with linux by googlin it, i've been doing that for a dozen years. but i've got huge gaps in my knowledge to the point that i don't know what i don't know. so far i think it was a good $22 spent.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
at some point in my life I studied quite a bit for the LPI certification exams (laffo I know) which I never did because I didn't have the money and even if there's a lot of bullshit in these exams I learned some useful stuff

the journey is important yo

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Barnyard Protein posted:

i got the RHCSA & RHCE RHEL 7 book with the best rating on amazon. ofc i can get anything done with linux by googlin it, i've been doing that for a dozen years. but i've got huge gaps in my knowledge to the point that i don't know what i don't know. so far i think it was a good $22 spent.

is it ghori's? I bought it and its boring and apparently has lots of mistakes. evol rips it apart in the IT certification thread in SHSC. jang apparently writes the better book but he doesn't come out til March

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
why yes yes it is

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I used jangs book

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Barnyard Protein posted:

the design and implementation of the freebsd operating system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lots of tiny stuff, lots of bug fixes and under the hood changes. 357 core OS bugs were closed, and 257 application bugs were fixed. Boot speed should be significantly improved. We support a lot more printers now. Various system applications were updated and rebased. Lots of tiny optimizations to applications and our toolkits. There were lots of HW-specific bug fixes related to video decoding, audio and other things.

I think we're winding down on OS development now that it's mostly OK. We only have one major UI redesign to our OS at this point. Most of the new design and development is going into applications, and new frameworks and core OS features to support applications.

Knowledge apps / encyclopedia a few more features, and we made steady progress on a big feature which will likely be in the next release at this point. It didn't make this release, unfortunately.

so these days, my Endless with 2.4.2 appears to be seeing an update but failing to get it. is there a command-line way to do so, or a place I can download the update from and put it on a USB drive to install?

and has any of the development-on-an-endless stuff come to fruition yet? I haven’t seen a forum or anything like that...

Edit: looks like it’s searching for but not finding obs-master.endlessm-sf.com via DNS

eschaton fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 12, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
What makes you think that? Are you trying to run apt-get update? Updates are managed by ostree. Do you have any errors from ostree in the journal?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
By the way, the command-line way to upgrade is $ sudo ostree admin upgrade

I'd still like to see error messages though.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

annapacketstormaya posted:

the design and implementation of the freebsd operating system

i have this book on my shelf right now, i will read it "some day"

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

So is it possible to extend my LVM /home partition to a second drive or should I just move my /home to the second drive. Is the first thing possible either way

pram
Jun 10, 2001

b0red posted:

So is it possible to extend my LVM /home partition to a second drive or should I just move my /home to the second drive. Is the first thing possible either way

yes you add the second drive to the vg and expand the lv

this is a bad idea though

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

b0red posted:

Yes

Create a partition on the second drive and initialize it with pvcreate. Then use vgextend to add the partition to your volume group that holds your home partition. Then grow your home logical volume using lvextend.

You can also pin your home partition specifically to the 2nd drive. I think you can do this but I'm not 100% sure, might be only on volume creation and not supported by lvmodify.

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 12, 2015

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Interesting to know, and I'd probably do this for real if it wasn't for the fact that I'd be extending a 40Gb partion on a SSD into a 2tb drive. lol thanks for the info though guys, i'll just use pvcreate and add the new ting to the lvm blah blah.

i'm assuming doing it is a bad idea because data can get spread between the drives and if you lose the lvm stuff than your boned

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

You can also pin your home partition specifically to the 2nd drive. I think you can do this but I'm not 100% sure, might be only on volume creation and not supported by lvmodify.

this is exactly what i would do

two disks, one VG, but no LV touches both disks. keeping them both in the same VG means you can still use the big slow disk for snapshots or migration volumes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

i'm assuming doing it is a bad idea because data can get spread between the drives and if you lose the lvm stuff than your boned

the "LVM stuff" gets written to every PV

if you lose parts of a volume group, you can still make use of the LVs that are restricted to the surviving PVs.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

eschaton posted:

Suspicious Dish posted:

By the way, the command-line way to upgrade is $ sudo ostree admin upgrade

I'd still like to see error messages though.

awesome, thanks. I'll see what ostree admin upgrade returns

I tried the Settings panel first and that just said an error occurred, so then I tried apt-get update and saw it fail there

when I ran ostree admin upgrade it said there was no upgrade available, so I guess everything is OK

eschaton fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 12, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Barnyard Protein posted:

is there just a single book that i can read that will tell me everything i need to know about the best linux?

Mac OS X Internals: A Systems Approach

it's a bit dated now but evidently a new edition is in progress with everything that's been added since the 10.4-10.5 era

like sandboxing, entitlements, launchd, dispatch, ASL, XPC…

oh, and iOS

pram
Jun 10, 2001

b0red posted:

Interesting to know, and I'd probably do this for real if it wasn't for the fact that I'd be extending a 40Gb partion on a SSD into a 2tb drive. lol thanks for the info though guys, i'll just use pvcreate and add the new ting to the lvm blah blah.

if your lv is larger than a single disk it's basically like striping

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

if your lv is larger than a single disk it's basically like striping

except slower, because it's just concatenation. all the downsides, none of the upsides

lvm supports striping and mirroring, but i've never tried it. i don't think anyone has. linux has an independent non-lvm software raid subsystem, and people just use lvm for simple volume management: migration, logical volumes, etc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
doesn't it just do it through mdadm

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

except slower, because it's just concatenation. all the downsides, none of the upsides

lvm supports striping and mirroring, but i've never tried it. i don't think anyone has. linux has an independent non-lvm software raid subsystem, and people just use lvm for simple volume management: migration, logical volumes, etc

lvm raid is pretty good and useful, mdadm is almost as bad as hardware raid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i like how u can make a nice big lvm pool and make some of it raid 0 and some of it raid 1