Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. Which is why when everyone is going gaga over Elite Dangerous doing it, I am slightly amused. :)

You're also slightly forgetful, UC's transition from space to planet isn't seamless by any measure, something that Frontier: Elite 2 was doing back in 1993, Elite was the first space game that had realistic scale planets that weren't in a separate world space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Live stream in a week, they need anything new that looks good for then.

Which makes the 2.0 announcement video even better.

The one where they used old footage.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

fuctifino posted:

Look at those tiny flailing t-rex arms.
His arms are normal sized.

Give that a minute to sink in. Is your mind blown yet?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

AP posted:

Concierge cards bought them a week, daily total should get a slight bump from the weekend.

Live stream for the start of the November sale lasts three hours, 11 am to 2 pm Pacific next Thursday 19th November.

Not sure how often this happens, but funding hit a low of $48 in an hour last night. I'm still waiting to see a glorious $0 hour.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

tooterfish posted:

His arms are normal sized.

Give that a minute to sink in. Is your mind blown yet?

My innocence is now lost...

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Agrajag posted:

i have zero experience with guns or scopes can anyone that does clarify if that image is what it looks like when you look through a scope?

No. Not even a little. When you're looking through a magnifying scope it just looks like everything is closer.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I will announce something soon-ish.

(By that I mean when all 53 cat heads are done and in position.)

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The best piece of information I've read in this thread is that Gary Oldman has

quote:

a top-selling perfume (With Love from Gary) and a fashion line called “Gary Oldman Seduction”
The Gary Oldman Seduction.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

Probably working with less expensive actors would be my guess. For something like this where you need a log shoot but don't have a large budget exclusively for talent, you'd want to select skilled, but not named talents. Previous to Last of Us, for example, you'd want someone like Troy Baker for a lead roll. He's an excellent actor, but worked at SAG standard rate ($750 an hour with no points). This is why you have a good casting director who can find that talent.

I am not trying to be disingenuous, I would think my posting history would indicate that, just explaining my point of view and backing it up with data. With a celebrity actor, if you were looking to not spent heavily, you'd cast a less known talent as your leads and then use celebrity actors for featured roles that would not require long sessions. Also, they can chose to wave their standard fees and work at rate scale. Robert Downey Jr, as an example, did this for CHEF.

You might not be trying to be, but it came off as disengenous to me.

I don't see croberts need for numerous expensive actors, use of the Imaginarium, and creation of multiple mocap studios as anything other than a massively expensive boondoggle likely related to or caused by his marriage to an F list actress and his failures in Hollywood. And the fact that he's done this, spent all these millions on this crap, when he doesn't even have a fully functional game engine or anything approaching a finished flight model, is incompetence bordering on the criminal.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Bootcha posted:

Only 53 and they were fighting that hard? That's some butcher job at the taxidermist.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

You might not be trying to be, but it came off as disengenous to me.

My apologies. I try to provide factual basis for my opinions. I am just a game development fan and do a lot of reading. So when I mention something, if you have any question about my sources, just ask. I try to be as honest and forthright as possible.

quote:

I don't see croberts need for numerous expensive actors, use of the Imaginarium, and creation of multiple mocap studios as anything other than a massively expensive boondoggle likely related to or caused by his marriage to an F list actress and his failures in Hollywood. And the fact that he's done this, spent all these millions on this crap, when he doesn't even have a fully functional game engine or anything approaching a finished flight model, is incompetence bordering on the criminal.

That is, I think, the collective feeling in this community.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bootcha posted:

cutting off 53 cat heads is a noble deed

Loiosh posted:

did you take into account that they are building their own in-house mocap studio even though they presumably have 10 hours worth already? in santa monica, no less.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 12, 2015

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Bootcha posted:

will the cats be singing goon de yadda

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

My apologies. I try to provide factual basis for my opinions. I am just a game development fan and do a lot of reading. So when I mention something, if you have any question about my sources, just ask. I try to be as honest and forthright as possible.

What are the alternative explanations or interpretations?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

ShredsYouSay posted:

will the cats be singing goon de yadda

God drat it. That wasn't the plan, but I think it will have to be now.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Agrajag posted:

did you take into account that they are building their own in-house mocap studio even though that presumably have 10 hours worth already?

They've built 4 different mocap setups is my understand from another poster here. That seems excessive for a studio build up (though I believe he counted location moves as new setups).

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Loiosh posted:

They've built 4 different mocap setups is my understand from another poster here. That seems excessive for a studio build up (though I believe he counted location moves as new setups).

yeah it's not seems... it is absolutely excessive for a game purported to be primarily a SPACE SIM. you're definitely trying to downplay croberts and co's incompetence. poo poo even the storefront screenies from a few pages back exemplify the very real problem of needless going back and redesigning poo poo that does not matter in the grand scheme of things

it's like a developer going to a work site taking a look at a project that is 2 weeks away from closing and saying we need to redo all the units because. do you notice how messed up that sounds? it's really messed up.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 12, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

Chris Roberts said the budget for shooting the script of SQ42 was 10 million on an episode of Wingman's hangar that I quoted a while back. So the rumours of 11-13 million look perfectly reasonable to me, I skip most of your posts but so apologies if I missed anything else.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

What are the alternative explanations or interpretations?

I've given my impressions before, it's a bit long, but: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=309&perpage=40#post452516218

In particular with actors, I don't have the budget that was set aside for talent, so I do not have an idea of if it is considered a good expense or not. For myself, I enjoy Gary Oldman, and I really love when celebrity actors show up in games who are good at acting. I enjoyed Kevin Spacy in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, for example.

Without facts, I tend to consider my opinion neutral and wait for more information. I'd consider my opinion cautious at the moment. I have not made further purchases since Derek's post came out in July.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Loiosh posted:

I've given my impressions before, it's a bit long, but: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=309&perpage=40#post452516218

In particular with actors, I don't have the budget that was set aside for talent, so I do not have an idea of if it is considered a good expense or not. For myself, I enjoy Gary Oldman, and I really love when celebrity actors show up in games who are good at acting. I enjoyed Kevin Spacy in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, for example.

Without facts, I tend to consider my opinion neutral and wait for more information. I'd consider my opinion cautious at the moment. I have not made further purchases since Derek's post came out in July.

space sim... 10 hours of mocap across 4 stuios 1 acquired and headed by a close friend, one that generally works for large movie productions, and building a new in-house one in santa monica. you're deluded as gently caress and there is no middle ground when you take into account just the mocap debacle itself.

you keep saying you are stating opinions based on fact and remain neutral but you consistently ignore all the useless crap, constant delays, failure to deliver, and excessive resources devoted to selling more jpegs as rumours and still say your statements are based on facts

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 12, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just noticed something that's annoying me. Its kind of nitpicky but why is it Squadron 42? Based on every military designation ever it should be 42nd Squadron.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

AP posted:

Chris Roberts said the budget for shooting the script of SQ42 was 10 million on an episode of Wingman's hangar that I quoted a while back. So the rumours of 11-13 million look perfectly reasonable to me, I skip most of your posts but so apologies if I missed anything else.

That's excellent! Thank you for the information.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

space sim... 10 hours of mocap across 4 stuios 1 acquired and headed by a close friend, one that generally works for large movie productions, and building a new in-house one in santa monica. you're deluded as gently caress and there is no middle ground when you take into account just the mocap debacle itself.

you keep saying you are stating opinions based on fact and remain neutral but you consistently ignore all the useless crap and constant delays as rumours and still say your statements are based on facts

the mocap cut scenes are longer then the first 3 lotr movies for the first ep of sq42. How can this be good?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MilesK posted:

Not sure how often this happens, but funding hit a low of $48 in an hour last night. I'm still waiting to see a glorious $0 hour.

Wait, so there's been some muppet or other giving money at least once every hour since whenever? :catstare:

That'll be the Mafia's hourly direct debit from the dirty money deposit account, I guess?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Agrajag posted:

you keep saying you are stating opinions based on fact and remain neutral but you consistently ignore all the useless crap and constant delays as rumours and still say your statements are based on facts

I think you'd have to understand my point of view for that. I'm a fan of Eric Robert's work (even though I didn't play Privateer, my friends did and considered it a good game), so I would not be upset with Eric running a studio that is working on this. If you're referring to someone else, please let me know.

I'm trying not to come off as doubting your point of view, but my view may be different. I've written on where I'm coming from in my history (linked above). I will be as honest as I can and listen to what you have to say. Also if you don't want to fill up the thread here, feel free to message me directly.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Let's go over this again.

First motion capture studio was bought and built in Austin in 2013. This was never used, presumably because Chris thought the space was too small.

The second was renting out Andy Serkis' imaginarium a year later.

The third was renting out Cubic Motion, whose CEO is Simon Elms, a good friend of CRoberts and Erin Roberts. If you don't think he got paid more than the going rate lol.

The fourth is a completely new studio in Santa Monica with new, high end equipment. The stuff from the old studio was presumably sold off.

Renting motion capture is not cheap. Building motion capture is not cheap. This is a loving space simulator that nobody gives a poo poo about the single player campaign where most of the mocap is going. You are delusional if you think this is anywhere close to well managed.

Jst0rm posted:

the mocap cut scenes are longer then the first 3 lotr movies for the first ep of sq42. How can this be good?

It apparently has a ten hour long script, which means ten hours of cutscenes or glorified cutscenes, longer than any Kojima game.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 12, 2015

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Wait, so there's been some muppet or other giving money at least once every hour since whenever? :catstare:

Seams kind of unreal doesn't it?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

Basically, that's what I'm looking at. When Derek's first blog came out, I decided to sit back and reconsider further donations.

How much you donated so far chief?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

They really hate funding going below 20k and have for a good couple of years now. In the past, before they said they'd give a weeks notice before any sale, I predicted a couple of surprise sales as it was such a set pattern, anywhere near 20k/day and a wild sale would appear from nowhere. There's probably good reason behind it, harder to start something from cold rather than keep it drifting along. They do have a ton more backers now so you'd have though 20k was easier, it's not easy anymore.

I wonder if the $20K daily funding is a prerequisite for some of their loans or other financial obligations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
If only Star Citizens would look at CIG as critically.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

AP posted:

How much you donated so far chief?

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

That wasn't a goonswarm spreadsheet. I won't make fun of you for spending money on Star Citizen, I've been there, but understand I will be making fun of you if I think you've the third whale to try to damage control this thread in the last couple of weeks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Loiosh posted:

Retard

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Bootcha posted:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

AP posted:

That wasn't a goonswarm spreadsheet. I won't make fun of you for spending money on Star Citizen, I've been there, but understand I will be making fun of you if I think you've the third whale to try to damage control this thread in the last couple of weeks.

That's a perfectly valid opinion. I mean, if you guys would like me to stop replying, I will do so. I've been enjoying the opportunity to chat here, but if I'm disruptive I'm willing to leave.

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
jokes on us, all ships will have thomas the tank engine faces with microexpressions

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yo I think you have the mo cap balls on backwards on Mr Oldmans thumbs

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Loiosh posted:

A lot of people wanted CIG to suceed. That's why CIG got all that money.

Though I'd like to remind the thread of a certain fact:
- Initially the game was "designed" to be built with a budget of ~ 20m $ (crowdfunding + VC + Publishers)
- Then the campaign hit liquid sperg gold. And CR said he'd now budget according to average funding. (so 20 to 30m $ per year).
- CIG just never came out and said: "We will now take much longer to build the game, current best estimate is the year 20XX, with a uncertainity of X years. Everyone who wants out: Get your refund here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
no keep posting just don't expect most of us to not refute your posts

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Though I'd like to remind the thread of a certain fact:
- Initially the game was "designed" to be built with a budget of ~ 20m $ (crowdfunding + VC + Publishers)
- Then the campaign hit liquid sperg gold. And CR said he'd now budget according to average funding. (so 20 to 30m $ per year).
- CIG just never came out and said: "We will now take much longer to build the game, current best estimate is the year 20XX, with a uncertainity of X years. Everyone who wants out: Get your refund here!"

what he did is devote more resources to the store front selling jpegs and misc junk instead of making an actual game

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 12, 2015

• Locked thread