Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
PLANETS HAVE BEEN RELEASED!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRu9p-3Ois

I hope I didn't trigger anyone with "released" (sorry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Agrajag posted:

no keep posting just don't expect most of us to not refute your posts

I've offered my feelings and opinions and respect hearing those of others. I've learned a great deal here, which is why I have enjoyed visiting when I have time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I've given my impressions before, it's a bit long, but: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=309&perpage=40#post452516218

In particular with actors, I don't have the budget that was set aside for talent, so I do not have an idea of if it is considered a good expense or not. For myself, I enjoy Gary Oldman, and I really love when celebrity actors show up in games who are good at acting. I enjoyed Kevin Spacy in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, for example.

Without facts, I tend to consider my opinion neutral and wait for more information. I'd consider my opinion cautious at the moment. I have not made further purchases since Derek's post came out in July.

Is there anything about ten million in mocap and actors in that wall of text, or are you just being a dick?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Loiosh posted:

I think you'd have to understand my point of view for that. I'm a fan of Eric Robert's work (even though I didn't play Privateer, my friends did and considered it a good game), so I would not be upset with Eric running a studio that is working on this.

Then you are letting nostalgia cloud your view. The simplest way is to think, 'What would my reaction be if EA did this?' If you can't, then you aren't being objective.

With 94 million, CIG is no longer independent. It cannot be considered as such.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Strategic Tea posted:

Wait, so there's been some muppet or other giving money at least once every hour since whenever? :catstare:

That'll be the Mafia's hourly direct debit from the dirty money deposit account, I guess?

I donno, I haven't watched cgi's money ticker for very long. $48 seems like an odd number though, think they're counting sales taxes?

Edit: Maybe there are micro transactions that can add up to $48, I was just guessing it was a single $45 stater pack + tax.

MilesK fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 12, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

That's a perfectly valid opinion. I mean, if you guys would like me to stop replying, I will do so. I've been enjoying the opportunity to chat here, but if I'm disruptive I'm willing to leave.

Only speaking for myself but as long as you aren't being dishonest I have zero problems with someone viewing CIG in the best light, it's even liable to make a more interesting conversation. Don't try and fool people like that Karl idiot though.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AP posted:

Only speaking for myself but as long as you aren't being dishonest I have zero problems with someone viewing CIG in the best light, it's even liable to make a more interesting conversation. Don't try and fool people like that Karl idiot though.

he is an auditor though

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

It's not a sunk cost though, you can still get your money back (maybe).

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Please help me TcM decipher their confusing feelings:

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

That wasn't a goonswarm spreadsheet. I won't make fun of you for spending money on Star Citizen, I've been there, but understand I will be making fun of you if I think you've the third whale to try to damage control this thread in the last couple of weeks.

He/she is talking about the ancient-rear end Google spreadsheet that was around in the very early days after the Star Citizen Kickstarter. At one point it showed over $300,000 in goon purchases for Star Citizen, although once people here realized that you could make a profit selling ships to late arrivals on reddit, the spreadsheet itself was almost immediately out of date.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bootcha posted:

I will announce something soon-ish.

(By that I mean when all 53 cat heads are done and in position.)

Are the heads representing CIGs ex employees from the Austin office?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

BMan posted:

It's not a sunk cost though, you can still get your money back (maybe).

Sorry I didn't make that more clear: I'd like to see them succeed. I'm not interested in making it worse, so I don't want a return; thus, sunk cost. I actually like the designs and such, though I do not do much with the modules that are out now.

I haven't been getting my space fix, so been playing things like Solar 2 while waiting for AC: Syndicate to launch on the PC. (I skipped Fallout 4)

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Isn't today or yesterday the end of the two weeks for the "feature complete 2.0 multiplayer in two weeks!!!" stuff? I keep thinking that Lesnick said it would be released about 2 weeks ago, but I forget. Anyone have screenshots?

HexDog fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 12, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

That's a perfectly valid opinion. I mean, if you guys would like me to stop replying, I will do so. I've been enjoying the opportunity to chat here, but if I'm disruptive I'm willing to leave.

Just post dude, I literally know nothing about anything and I enjoy myself here

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loiosh posted:

Your posts are good IMO. You're level headed and pretty knowledgeable about the game. It's unreasonable to expect everyone to share the same level of cynicism and it's useful for someone to voice the more optimistic opinions round here so we don't end up like an inverted reddit echo chamber.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Goredema posted:

He/she is talking about the ancient-rear end Google spreadsheet that was around in the very early days after the Star Citizen Kickstarter. At one point it showed over $300,000 in goon purchases for Star Citizen, although once people here realized that you could make a profit selling ships to late arrivals on reddit, the spreadsheet itself was almost immediately out of date.

Yes, it still wasn't a goonswarm spreadsheet.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

same

e: I don't even have a gaming system, or play games.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tank Boy Ken posted:

PLANETS HAVE BEEN RELEASED!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FRu9p-3Ois

I hope I didn't trigger anyone with "released" (sorry).

Hell that looks a lot better than I expected- I wonder how laggy it is? The ultimate irony of all of this is that by the time SC actually comes out, games like Elite and Infinity and Space Engineers are going to have one-upped all of its most important features.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuctifino posted:

same

e: I don't even have a gaming system, or play games.

No hands here

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

It's not a sunk cost because you can get a refund. If you're concerned that they're going to fail why not get said refund? You can always buy back in if you change your mind.

There is something seriously wrong with the company from the fact that it needs to delay, split and get a third party to pay for refunds to a VC with actually adult money rush to pull it out ASAP.

Go take a holiday or buy some games you can play with your refund or if the money isn't that important to you, go donate it to charity and do something more infinitely useful with it instead of leaving it in the dumpster fire.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

Yes, it still wasn't a goonswarm spreadsheet.
Some people don't understand that Goonswarm™ is a specific thing. When CIG implodes, Lowtax should hire Sandi to help with marketing the various in-house brands a little better. :gary:

On an unrelated side note, I just realized that I've memorized the Alt code for ™ due to all the times I've responded on reddit with "Two Weeks™". Star Citizen is educational!

(It's ALT + 0153)

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

peter gabriel posted:

This is true. I don't even play video games; I never even heard of Star Citizen until Bootcha told me about it. But I'm enjoying following along. :munch:

I really have made popcorn to munch on while watching this train wreck.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

fuzzknot posted:

This is what I spend my time doing (on reddit) when I'm not reading. This one's been my entertainment this afternoon: https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/3shr29/mods_in_rstarwarsbattlefront_accept_bribes_from/

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Goredema posted:

Some people don't understand that Goonswarm™ is a specific thing. When CIG implodes, Lowtax should hire Sandi to help with marketing the various in-house brands a little better. :gary:

On an unrelated side note, I just realized that I've memorized the Alt code for ™ due to all the times I've responded on reddit with "Two Weeks™". Star Citizen is educational!

(It's ALT + 0153)

Thanks to years of science class™, the degree symbol is ALT + 0176. Just like this: °

:confuoot:

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

fuzzknot posted:

Try adding Bacon Salt to your popcorn. Not too much though! Make it about 25% of the total salt you add, and it introduces a nice bacon-y flavor to the mix.

While I'm sharing ghetto-rear end kitchen tips, if you sprinkle a packet or two of Splenda or Truvia or similar sugar substitute over the popcorn, it'll tast a bit like kettle corn, for zero added calories.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Loiosh posted:

Don't let the rabble chase you out. Echo chambers are boring threads. I'm very curious why you wouldn't ask for a refund though if you're skeptical CIG will deliver.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

fuzzknot posted:

This is true. I don't even play video games; I never even heard of Star Citizen until Bootcha told me about it. But I'm enjoying following along. :munch:

that's a lot of popcorn...

fatty

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Goredema posted:

Some people don't understand that Goonswarm™ is a specific thing.

Yes, I think I've seen two recently.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Loiosh posted:

Disruptive to what, the catte photos and food chat? Just post dude, you are infinitely more interesting than Karl or whatever alt Seraph comes up with. People aren't going to agree with you here, and they'll probably be sarcastic or make attempts at humor (to various success), but you haven't broken any rules by not being negative about SC.

Mind you, your general outlook is about 3-4 threads too late, but it's not unwelcome now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuzzknot posted:

If I may be sold bold can I ask which flavour?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Goredema posted:

Try adding Bacon Salt to your popcorn. Not too much though! Make it about 25% of the total salt you add, and it introduces a nice bacon-y flavor to the mix.

While I'm sharing ghetto-rear end kitchen tips, if you sprinkle a packet or two of Splenda or Truvia or similar sugar substitute over the popcorn, it'll tast a bit like kettle corn, for zero added calories.

Bacon salt makes for amazing meatballs.

I hate sugar substitutes, though.

Now and again I sprinkle a bit of pepper on popcorn. That's nice, too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
It's amazing how Star Citizens rationalize away the awful support they're receiving:

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Loiosh posted:

I'm curious, are you okay with them having spent 10% of their backer's money on motion capture for Squadron 42? That is assuming the 10+ million figure is correct?

Wouldn't it make so much more sense to build a functioning game and then if you have money left over, maybe spend some of it on good motion capture and voice acting?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Agrajag posted:

that's a lot of popcorn...

fatty

To be fair, I've only made two or three bags of popcorn total. The :munch: is only for catching up when I'm thirty pages behind.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

I know you weren't addressing me peter, but always cayenne and smoked paprika

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
3 week wait time = good customer service hahahahhahahahah.

Holy gently caress, could CIG have worse customer service than Valve? Is that even possible?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

3 week wait time = good customer service hahahahhahahahah.

Holy gently caress, could CIG have worse customer service than Valve? Is that even possible?

can't put a price tag or time limit on good support

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Please help me TcM decipher their confusing feelings:

He feels like he is cheating on SC by feeling like this towards ED. He is anthropomorphizing his games. Sandi should really get on those spaceship body-pillows.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

peter gabriel posted:

Just plain butter. I like cheese popcorn but can never find it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Loiosh posted:

In particular with actors, I don't have the budget that was set aside for talent, so I do not have an idea of if it is considered a good expense or not. For myself, I enjoy Gary Oldman, and I really love when celebrity actors show up in games who are good at acting. I enjoyed Kevin Spacy in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, for example.
Kevin Spacey was a pretty solid addition to that game. One of the better recent examples of a fully digitized actor playing basically himself in a AAA game.

I enjoy Gary Oldman, too. Seems like a solid gent and certainly has had his share of quality parts of the years. Yet if the Bishop speech is any indication, it seems as if he's been asked to bring his A list prestige to a D-grade script, and furthermore, that whatever coaching / direction Chris Roberts gave him on characterization was pretty awful, too. Because rather than bringing OLDMAN GRAVITAS to the big scene he was supposed to carry, he brought only OLD MAN AGITA...

It's interesting that even the fanboys expressed reservations about Gary Oldman's "Admiral Bishop" speech- on reddit and RSI forums. We are in strange times if a sperg can get 439 upvotes and Reddit gold for a post that basically says the speech written by CIG, delivered by a Hollywood A-lister, motion captured by the best in industry and animated by an army of CIG devs missed the mark and should be rewritten and reshot to better capture the spirit of Churchill's "Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat" speech.

CIG can't have missed the fact that the centerpiece reveal of their annual BIG SHOW, the one that was supposed to let them completely reassert control over their own winning narrative, ended up prompting a chorus of 'helpful suggestions' to 'fix' what didn't work. Their well-intended suggestions, if implemented, would be catastrophic PR wise and not cheap, either-- that is assuming CIG could even get Oldman to return and do this over again.

And yet CIG is building a new motion capture studio in LA, which is helpfully located less than 20 miles from Gary Oldman's home in Los Feliz, if this article is still accurate.

I'm not saying they're planning reshoots or anything-- but if they're planning to, it wouldn't be logistically difficult.

• Locked thread