Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

kill you are self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

This is what I spend my time doing (on reddit) when I'm not reading. This one's been my entertainment this afternoon: https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/3shr29/mods_in_rstarwarsbattlefront_accept_bribes_from/

There's no way something similar isn't happening on the Star Citizen reddit, there was a big fuss about them removing 890 Jump concept images that Wingman leaked ages ago. I think Will said CIG wouldn't interfere again after they lost the censorship battle but he's not there anymore and the reddit mods are far more rabid than back then.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

walruscat posted:

He feels like he is cheating on SC by feeling like this towards ED. He is anthropomorphizing his games. Sandi should really get on those spaceship body-pillows.
That reminds me:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I know you weren't addressing me peter, but always cayenne and smoked paprika

I will try this idea, thank you

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fuzzknot posted:

Just plain butter. I like cheese popcorn but can never find it. :(

butter is my fav

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Popcorn is gross and gets stuck in your teeth. People who make microwave popcorn in the office are worthless. These are my strong opinions about popcorn thank you SC thread.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

peter gabriel posted:

I will try this idea, thank you

If you don't like spicy, other options are parmesan, onion powder, or sugar. I like spicy though.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

fargom posted:

Popcorn is gross and gets stuck in your teeth. People who make microwave popcorn in the office are worthless. These are my strong opinions about popcorn thank you SC thread.

It sticks horribly but can't be resisted.

Agreed on the microwave popcorn at work, though, especially when it burns. It's almost as bad as microwaving seafood or curry; the smell never goes away.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

peter gabriel posted:

butter is my fav

fatty

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Matlock Birthmark posted:

If you don't like spicy, other options are parmesan, onion powder, or sugar. I like spicy though.

I like spicy

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mirificus posted:

That reminds me:

- Insert penis into nearest spaceship orifice.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

fargom posted:

I also hate the husks immediately shooting into whatever gaps I have in my teeth. And microwave popcorn is bleh. Go to your local thrift store and find an air popper for less than $5. We're still using one that was probably built 20 years ago, and it still makes awesome popcorn. Just don't try popping without the lid on. I tried it as an experiment, and the result is a lot like the Large Hadron Collider, but instead of microscopic particles, it's scalding hot popcorn shooting everywhere.

P.S.: This is horrifying. Scooby Doo will vomit up some popcorn for you! :jebstare:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I'm just carrying a little holiday weight and shortness of arms what of it?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Kevin Spacey was a pretty solid addition to that game. One of the better recent examples of a fully digitized actor playing basically himself in a AAA game.

I enjoy Gary Oldman, too. Seems like a solid gent and certainly has had his share of quality parts of the years. Yet if the Bishop speech is any indication, it seems as if he's been asked to bring his A list prestige to a D-grade script, and furthermore, that whatever coaching / direction Chris Roberts gave him on characterization was pretty awful, too. Because rather than bringing OLDMAN GRAVITAS to the big scene he was supposed to carry, he brought only OLD MAN AGITA...

It's interesting that even the fanboys expressed reservations about Gary Oldman's "Admiral Bishop" speech- on reddit and RSI forums. We are in strange times if a sperg can get 439 upvotes and Reddit gold for a post that basically says the speech written by CIG, delivered by a Hollywood A-lister, motion captured by the best in industry and animated by an army of CIG devs missed the mark and should be rewritten and reshot to better capture the spirit of Churchill's "Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat" speech.

CIG can't have missed the fact that the centerpiece reveal of their annual BIG SHOW, the one that was supposed to let them completely reassert control over their own winning narrative, ended up prompting a chorus of 'helpful suggestions' to 'fix' what didn't work. Their well-intended suggestions, if implemented, would be catastrophic PR wise and not cheap, either-- that is assuming CIG could even get Oldman to return and do this over again.

And yet CIG is building a new motion capture studio in LA, which is helpfully located less than 20 miles from Gary Oldman's home in Los Feliz, if this article is still accurate.

I'm not saying they're planning reshoots or anything-- but if they're planning to, it wouldn't be logistically difficult.

In addition to the script issues, everything about the motion capture stuff for SQ42 reminds me of this.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Mirificus posted:

That reminds me:

Holy poo poo that is amazing. I hope he's on probation for writing graphic man on ship fan fiction.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lets come up with our own emotes

i want to Tebow

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Goredema posted:

Just don't try popping without the lid on. I tried it as an experiment, and the result is a lot like the Large Hadron Collider, but instead of microscopic particles, it's scalding hot popcorn shooting everywhere.

This sounds like a highly successful/fatal elementary school science fair project just waiting to happen.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Mirificus posted:

It's amazing how Star Citizens rationalize away the awful support they're receiving:

Shitizens make it a point of pride how much abuse they'll take from CIG. Reminds me a bit of tumblrites who boast about all their mental problems and imagined illnesses.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Reminds me more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

walruscat posted:

I'm curious, are you okay with them having spent 10% of their backer's money on motion capture for Squadron 42? That is assuming the 10+ million figure is correct?

Wouldn't it make so much more sense to build a functioning game and then if you have money left over, maybe spend some of it on good motion capture and voice acting?

There's two interlaced questions to untangle. #1 is if spending 10% of income on a mocap studio + actors and the basically over a normal action film length of shoot (88 days?) is a good idea. My answer to that is that it really depends on the result. If there was a Last of Us or Witcher 3 level of quality that came out the other end, then hell yes. I don't believe Chris has those talents, so I'd say it's way on the high end. I think it's wasteful, but not a critical level of failure like say, the plot in Fallout 4. (At least they are finally making good use of their mocap studio, even if they're still hampered by legacy cruft).

In conclusion, I think it's wasteful.

#2 is about how to build a functional game, which is a different discussion.

I mentioned earlier on in the thread that mocap is useful, but it is best used when you have your skeleton and rigging nailed down. Once you have that done, there's no reason not to do the mocap shoot while other work is being delivered (in this case, $$$$ jpegs and the back-end work on the persistent universe poo). Most games do their shoots while in production once they have the character rigs finished as the mocap cleanup team will do a much better job if their temp model will match with the final. Nothing's worse than having to go back in and fix the cleanup because a change in the skeleton hosed up your controls. (This is an anecdotal account, I have a friend who works mocap cleanup in the mobile space).

That doesn't quite answer the jist of your question which is, is it wise to spend 10+ million while you are uncertain you will have enough income to finish a game? If you take the view that they are a month away from failure (according to Derek Smart's earlier blog), then that would be a certain no. I see that the evaluation has changed to be six months (so June 2016?) and in that case, it would still be a no. It's not wise. If, however, they have a budget for this, then I do not see it as a problem. But, that requires them to actually deliver the product which they have no plan or ability to do for what, another year (supposedly SQ is 2016?). If I believe they have the budget to get SQ42 delivered, then I would not see an expenditure like this as a problem.

From what I said above, you can see I'm uncertain on this, and I think $10 million is wasteful.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

i want to Tebow

I want BEGONG where that is the sound of my head hitting the inside of my ships cockpit as I try and enter

BEGONG BEGONG BEGONG

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Eonwe posted:

i want to Tebow
Gently caress

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

the final frontier

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
One of the best parts of the autopsy for this dead project is going to be skimming through the complete hack-job script that I'm sure Roberts thinks is Very Good.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Loiosh posted:

There's two interlaced questions to untangle. #1 is if spending 10% of income on a mocap studio + actors and the basically over a normal action film length of shoot (88 days?) is a good idea. My answer to that is that it really depends on the result. If there was a Last of Us or Witcher 3 level of quality that came out the other end, then hell yes. I don't believe Chris has those talents, so I'd say it's way on the high end. I think it's wasteful, but not a critical level of failure like say, the plot in Fallout 4. (At least they are finally making good use of their mocap studio, even if they're still hampered by legacy cruft).

In conclusion, I think it's wasteful.

#2 is about how to build a functional game, which is a different discussion.

I mentioned earlier on in the thread that mocap is useful, but it is best used when you have your skeleton and rigging nailed down. Once you have that done, there's no reason not to do the mocap shoot while other work is being delivered (in this case, $$$$ jpegs and the back-end work on the persistent universe poo). Most games do their shoots while in production once they have the character rigs finished as the mocap cleanup team will do a much better job if their temp model will match with the final. Nothing's worse than having to go back in and fix the cleanup because a change in the skeleton hosed up your controls. (This is an anecdotal account, I have a friend who works mocap cleanup in the mobile space).

That doesn't quite answer the jist of your question which is, is it wise to spend 10+ million while you are uncertain you will have enough income to finish a game? If you take the view that they are a month away from failure (according to Derek Smart's earlier blog), then that would be a certain no. I see that the evaluation has changed to be six months (so June 2016?) and in that case, it would still be a no. It's not wise. If, however, they have a budget for this, then I do not see it as a problem. But, that requires them to actually deliver the product which they have no plan or ability to do for what, another year (supposedly SQ is 2016?). If I believe they have the budget to get SQ42 delivered, then I would not see an expenditure like this as a problem.

From what I said above, you can see I'm uncertain on this, and I think $10 million is wasteful.

I'm curious, is the skeleton and rigging separate from the engine? Like if you built the skeleton and rigging in a 32bit engine, will it break if you convert the engine to 64bit or decide to use an entirely different engine?

Also I get working in parallel while you build everything else, but given their apparent lack of progress it seems incredibly wasteful to spend money they may end up needing to deliver a finished product.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Berious posted:

Shitizens make it a point of pride how much abuse they'll take from CIG. Reminds me a bit of tumblrites who boast about all their mental problems and imagined illnesses.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking when I saw this:

They seemed to be proud of how long they had waited for customer support.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
im a real big fan of his script drop presentation

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

FFS just give it to loving charity or something. You lovely repugnant pigs with your endless disposable income and the world is going to poo poo while you buy JPEGS. gently caress you.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Loiosh posted:

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes
Chris Robert's response to The Escapist
Bootcha's response to The Escapist

If this isn't enough to convince you that enabling CIG is a bad thing to do, then you're not only a fool with your money, but also a piece of poo poo.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 14, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

One of the best parts of the autopsy for this dead project is going to be skimming through the complete hack-job script that I'm sure Roberts thinks is Very Good.

If (game hosed) Then
(blame Illfonic)
Else
(have a jpeg sale and hope it all goes away)
End If

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Mirificus posted:

This is incredibly gay.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mirificus posted:

These are people who had their bank accounts pillaged by a fat man with short arms and a guy who can't stop waving his hands around and lying, they are not smart people

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

peter gabriel posted:

These are people who had their bank accounts pillaged by a fat man with short arms and a guy who can't stop waving his hands around and lying, they are not smart people

were the ones who aren't smart by not devoting every single dollar earned to CIG

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

were the ones who aren't smart by not devoting every single dollar earned to CIG

it saves us money in the long run because we will never get married or have kids.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Agrajag posted:

I gave them like £30 I am invested emotonally

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Yeah.

Man I hope RedLetterMedia turns their attention to Star Citizen in the not too distant future. It'd be fish in a barrel but still...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

When a little bleach won't cut it... posted:

At first, I was just going to look around the community for an artist to draw an ad for this product. But the more I thought about it, the more it sort of spiraled out into a possibly workable product in-game.

Imagine it...

The latest Vanduul raid is over and yours is one of the few ships with a medical bay available to heed the call. The fighting is done, the enemy routed or dead, and the inside of your ship looks like someone tried to dissect a cow with a claymore mine.

How are you going to clean all this up? You either make the rookie do it, or...

Steri-Foam Pak® - The power to completely sterilize an entire room in the palm of your hand!

The idea came to mind when I imagined one of those microwave steam cleaner packets and the compressed cubes of dish washing powder (with the little "activator ball"). Basically, it's a block of varying sizes (depending upon the volume of the area to be sterilized) with either a small, gelatinous 'button' on one side the you push to trigger the catalyst, or an activator panel which can be programmed for delayed activation, synchronized activation, etc.

For the medical bay of a Cutlass, for example, it would be a brick the size a Rubic's Cube. You mash the 'button', popping it and releasing the activator catalyst into the core of the cube. You toss the cube into the bay, seal the hatch, and the foam will expand into every nook and cranny, dissolving any organic mass.

The bricks come in various sizes, depending upon the size of the area to be cleaned, but they can range from a cube the size of a standard, 6-sided die (for small containers) to blocks the size of cars (for sterilizing entire trauma wards or catastrophe zones where salvaging bodies is not a concern). For anything larger than that, packs can be placed in an array and activated in series to overlap one another.

There are two variants of the product:

Steri-Foam Atmo-Pak®
Steri-Foam Vacu-Pak®

As one might expect, the first is for use in an atmosphere and the latter is for use in space.

Two reports of significant note in the Advocacy archives:

1) Missing persons report. After significant investigation, no sign of the missing individual was located. Circumstantial evidence indicated that a criminal organization may have disposed of the remains through either repeated exposure to a catalyzed biomass solvent agent like Steri-Foam, or a concentrated exposure of a massive amount in a very small space.

2) Frivolous lawsuit filed against the makers of Steri-Foam by one Beret Millamoux who claimed that the company should pay him restitution for the destruction of the interior of his 890 Jump (including a 700 year-old bottle of wine rumored to be of equal cost to the ship itself which was destroyed when the Steri-Foam dissolved the cork). When he exclaimed “How was I supposed to know it would denaturate any organics it contacted?” the corporation legal representative pointed to the warning on the packaging which states exactly that. The case was summarily dismissed.

The downside of this is that it has the potential to be a griefing tool, especially with regard to the "Death Of A Spaceman" mechanic. Someone could have a brand new character, get grabbed by someone trying to cause trouble, tossed into a container with a Steri-Foam cube, and get completely dissolved with no chance of waking up with a new, prosthetic limb or something.

I think the solution to this is that only registered medical personnel, certified to work with such substances can purchase it in substantial quantities. Anyone can acquire the 3cm³ – 20cm³ blocks which will sterilize anything from a small Stor-All container to the cargo hold of an RSI Constellation.

These smaller cubes do not contain enough reactive mass to dissolve an entire body, but they're more than adequate to clean up a room full of pools and smears. (Anyone who has worked in the medical field will know what a huge mess a little bit of blood can make)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

FFS just give it to loving charity or something. You lovely repugnant pigs with your endless disposable income and the world is going to poo poo while you buy JPEGS. gently caress you.

Just a note here, I disagree with the point of view that because someone has income they have the requirement to spend it as others' see fit. Having said that, I do donate each year to both AGDQ and SGDQ, I also donate to the Red Panda Network and have started donating to the Flying fox rescue (megabatties on Youtube, I don't recall the name of her rescue at the moment). I also do not take a tax credit for these, as I believe in supporting taxes, even if I dislike how a lot of them are being spent :/

That, of course, is in addition to donating hardware and buying things for friends. I paid off a friend's rent two weeks ago, bought a PS4 and new computer for a local friend out here, and am giving him my mixer (a ZED14) so that he can improve his stream. He's been streaming regularly and I guess, hoping to make money on it eventually, so I've been donating things to help him get that going... Though I'm still kinda holding onto my mic, because it's cool and I like it :(

So, I do give my money to charity. I also give it to friends and support a number of kickstarters, a few patreons, a number of subscriptions on Twitch (go Tornis!), and am hoping to get into Fig to do investing on upcoming games.

• Locked thread