Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Meta-Mollusk posted:

The best things about the original Operation Flashpoint and its two expansions were the awful writing and absolutely magical voice acting. To be fair the combat could be fun too, depending on the mission.
One of the greatest games of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

Just a note here, I disagree with the point of view that because someone has income they have the requirement to spend it as others' see fit. Having said that, I do donate each year to both AGDQ and SGDQ, I also donate to the Red Panda Network and have started donating to the Flying fox rescue (megabatties on Youtube, I don't recall the name of her rescue at the moment). I also do not take a tax credit for these, as I believe in supporting taxes, even if I dislike how a lot of them are being spent :/

That, of course, is in addition to donating hardware and buying things for friends. I paid off a friend's rent two weeks ago, bought a PS4 and new computer for a local friend out here, and am giving him my mixer (a ZED14) so that he can improve his stream. He's been streaming regularly and I guess, hoping to make money on it eventually, so I've been donating things to help him get that going... Though I'm still kinda holding onto my mic, because it's cool and I like it :(

So, I do give my money to charity. I also give it to friends and support a number of kickstarters, a few patreons, a number of subscriptions on Twitch (go Tornis!), and am hoping to get into Fig to do investing on upcoming games.

You sound like a good guy. No offence, but be careful, generous people always get taken advantage of. I have zero problems with you helping out your friends, that is really great, however, Chris Roberts and his company are banking on the fact that you and countless others like you are going to be too lazy to get a refund and they hope that some day in the future, when still no game is released you will just have given up waiting and written off your money.

How many more iterations of "in concept", "re-design", "pre-alpha" and my favourite lie "early days for feature x" and other poor excuses for 0 progress does it take to make you see this is all a giant blunder at best and a deliberate sheme to fleece people by leveraging their dreams and hopes to make them pay unreasonable amounts of money at worst?
You may not care now but what if this really goes tits up and you are disappointed? It may deter you from supporting other projects that don't try to scam people and deserve to be funded.

Plus CIG has so much money by now, you can get yours back and buy back in smaller once a game is released.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You'd literally be better off if you spent your money on a massive pan and whacked yourself in the face with it non stop for the next four years than to piss away a single penny on this lovely non game

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

:vince:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
CIG, please sell us virtual real estate.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
It is indeed nice that you can afford to lose 1500$ and it's obviously yours to spend however the gently caress you please, but instead of just flushing it down the virtual toilet that is Star Citizen, you could always consider giving it to someone who actually needs and deserves it, like a charity for sick kids or something similar.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 13, 2015

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Agrajag posted:

well i meant more in relation to the blue tinge along the edge

the leather jacket really completes his coked out skeezy look

lol also alienware laptop

Alienware laptop, while not my choice, is legitimate. You need something with a decent graphics card and reliable hardware. Dell hardware will do fine.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Two days in a row at well below 20k, and expecting to drop even more

What surprises will they come up with before the anniversary sale? I can't imagine they'd let funding drop down so low on the eve of their big scam sale

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

illectro posted:

You're also slightly forgetful, UC's transition from space to planet isn't seamless by any measure, something that Frontier: Elite 2 was doing back in 1993, Elite was the first space game that had realistic scale planets that weren't in a separate world space.

You do realize that I was talking about PLANETARY ACCESS and not SEAMLESS TRANSITIONS right? Newsflash: they ARE different subjects

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

And seamless space<->planetary transition is a tech novelty and doesn't add ANYTHING to a game. At all.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

dancing cat man you are my hero

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

Maybe u should consider doing a seemless transition between your menu buttons and the game Desmond

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

I'm still reading this thread so I hope this isn't addressed. The only issue I have with you is what I've seen others try and do- you try and find every way to rationalize what is a series of problems that even you cannot explain.

When you find that you are searching for reasons why something should not be, maybe the answer is what you're avoiding.

I've watched as you picked things you can try to mitigate but ignore many other issues.

For example how a 3rd Constellation rework multiplies the dev cost of making it by 9.

Or how little of '2.0' has been shown. This is open development right? So with all these YouTube shows and the fact a big 'make or break' update is supposed to be almost ready- and the fanbase is shown concept art of yet another ship being redone a 3rd time.

By the way, if you count reworking the variants, each ship is now even more staggering:

Connie dev cost = a

Connie rework cost = 3a (cost of a plus the cost of second pass, plus cost of development for what's pushed back due to the rework)

Now add 3a for each variant, and we are at 7a. It's now cost 7 times the original Connie, however the result is now 4 ships. So we are back to 3a.

However now each Connie is being redone. 12a.

This last pass is costing roughly 12 times the cost of the original.

Let's not get into the Freelancer and Cutlass reworks.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

fuzzknot posted:

This is true. I don't even play video games; I never even heard of Star Citizen until Bootcha told me about it. But I'm enjoying following along. :munch:

Oh, hey, you're Bootcha's GF? Pleasure to meet you. I'm one of the people who bothers him on skype now and again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen : "This shower is going straight down the shitter"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Maybe u should consider doing a seemless transition between your menu buttons and the game Desmond
Hold still Pete, I got some bacon I need to crisp up on this post.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Spent the entire evening playing the new Space Engineers update with planetary landings. I love that both Space Engineers and Elite Dangerous are going to have planetary interaction before Star Citizen has anything beyond a hangar. Holy poo poo get a refund.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
What is a parp? Sorry I haven't read all 10k posts.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

Hold still Pete, I got some bacon I need to crisp up on this post.

I demand answers :argh:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

:boom:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So an argument erupted in my Twitter feed today over The Pledge and how RSI/CIG have seemingly hidden it from view.

But since we track of every drat thing...

The Pledge - Original

http://web.archive.org/web/20121128182541/http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge

The Pledge - Current

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge

The Pledge - Manhunt

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/257642/can-anyone-find-the-pledge/p1

Of course, they've made material breaches to said pledge. Which explains why they're eager to bury it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

What surprises will they come up with before the anniversary sale? I can't imagine they'd let funding drop down so low on the eve of their big scam sale

They'll get a bit extra from the weekend, they might do a free fly thing tomorrow or maybe some guy in China will find some Star Citizen hats.

The concierge cards only boosted the daily figure, most/all of that bump was earmarked for cards/postage costs. So I think part of the reason they really like the daily figure 20k or more is just because it always has been. Awkward questions about a noticeable decline in funding aren't fun as they well know. They'd be worried if next week was normal, but it's not, there's a big event starting on Thursday so they might not even do anything tomorrow. It's their best type of event too, a sale.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with this post:

♥ Star Citizen ♥ Go my love! ♥ posted:

Hi all,

This is my second thread and my last post for some time here on the forums!
The hate is too much with it this forums..

Like some citizen count it out, I'm 12 days here! But I was very well informed!
If you like, check out my post history.. I call myself a real citizen!
I'm very sorry! If some citizens lost the faith down the road! Or if someone feels offended by me!
Please forgive me!

What's going on here? .. I do not like! ..and I say this as a new citizen.
My experience was very bad here in the forums!

Where are the all the white knights,of which I have heard from?

I feel like I'm pretty lost, defend CIG, the Game, and our whole Dream!
The hate overruns me, in much threads, no one was there on my side!

My best friend brought me over here, and informed me very well, he's more like my brother! "Old backer rear end well"
And he said to me: "Back the Idea, and do not participate on the forums!" ...But I did not listen to him :/

After that, CIG won not just my faith, they won my whole heart! ♥ And that happens very rarely! (I can count it on one hand)
I'm not a girl who loves a drama, that's the truth! Who knows me, knows I can not lie, that's unfortunately my nature!

Go ahead Chris/CIG, there are a lot of backers who never posted a word on the forums, but fully support our/your dream!
If you need us, we will be there for you! No matter when or where, we will be there! We swear!! ✪

Call me a naive blondine.. I was not the best at school. but, there was discipline in which I was always the best!
"knowledge of a individual person" or let's call it a feminine intuition! And I was never wrong ^^

Chris and Sandi are the best people I have ever met! ♥ That's why they won my whole heart! ♥

Do you want to tell me something else? No, you do not want!

Einstein said: "time is relative"
And we have all the time in the world with you Chris/CIG and Sandi!
We have been waiting for so many years for angels ♥ like you are! We do not care of time anymore! ♥

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuoVhW4qzEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq5v0iLqRTs

♥ Chris and Sandi ♥ CIG ♥

I have to cry that I unfortunately have to start such ♥ thread!

They got my emotions and my love!

aaand.. before you call me a drama girl.. etc!
I have backed myself, and luckily all my friends!

This thread was signet by real backers..
You can see the names on the bottom!

With best wishes your
Zinda

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Zinda is an ace flyer, able to easily handle any type of aircraft. She is a fine markswoman, skilled in the use of a variety of weapons, and has superior abilities in hand-to-hand combat.

She if often known to dual wield hand guns which she is an expert with and on one occasion even used a shotgun. Though she prefers firearms, Zinda is more than capable of holding her own in a fight and does not give up easily.

Zinda enjoys cooking, dancing, and drinking in her spare time. There is a running gag through most issues of Birds of Prey about her strong love for alcohol, which, she boasts, she can order in 30 different languages.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AP posted:

Zinda is an ace flyer, able to easily handle any type of aircraft. She is a fine markswoman, skilled in the use of a variety of weapons, and has superior abilities in hand-to-hand combat.

She if often known to dual wield hand guns which she is an expert with and on one occasion even used a shotgun. Though she prefers firearms, Zinda is more than capable of holding her own in a fight and does not give up easily.

Zinda enjoys cooking, dancing, and drinking in her spare time. There is a running gag through most issues of Birds of Prey about her strong love for alcohol, which, she boasts, she can order in 30 different languages.

Original Character do not steal.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

AP posted:

* .     .   °  . ● .    ° ☾ °☆  ¸. ● .  ★  ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * . .  ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ .    ° ☾ °  ¸. ● ¸

★ ° . .    . ☾ °☆  . * ● ¸ .   ★ ° :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * .     .   °  . ● .    ° ☾ °☆  ¸. ● .  ★  ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * . .  ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ .    ° ☾ °  ¸. ● ¸ .  ★ ° :.  . • °   .  * :. . ¸ . ● ¸    ★  ★☾ °★ .     . 

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

You'd literally be better off if you spent your money on a massive pan and whacked yourself in the face with it non stop for the next four years than to piss away a single penny on this lovely non game

Very true, you'll feel very stupid either way, but at least a pan can cook food. $1,500 is about 20 minutes of cig wasting money full blast. Get a refund and let Chris Roberts risk his own money/credit if he's so sure his game will be come out/be revolutionary. If you think he desperately needs your $1500 you have greater concerns than your willing to admit.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

D_Smart posted:

I know a guy, he's german, doing it in Unreal 4. Not useful to me, but he's got the whole seamless to procedural working.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i know a guy that is also german and he is an auditor

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Agrajag posted:

i know a guy that is also german and he is an auditor
Only one?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
ok maybe 3-4

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Loiosh posted:

Just a note here, I disagree with the point of view that because someone has income they have the requirement to spend it as others' see fit. Having said that, I do donate each year to both AGDQ and SGDQ, I also donate to the Red Panda Network and have started donating to the Flying fox rescue (megabatties on Youtube, I don't recall the name of her rescue at the moment). I also do not take a tax credit for these, as I believe in supporting taxes, even if I dislike how a lot of them are being spent :/

That, of course, is in addition to donating hardware and buying things for friends. I paid off a friend's rent two weeks ago, bought a PS4 and new computer for a local friend out here, and am giving him my mixer (a ZED14) so that he can improve his stream. He's been streaming regularly and I guess, hoping to make money on it eventually, so I've been donating things to help him get that going... Though I'm still kinda holding onto my mic, because it's cool and I like it :(

So, I do give my money to charity. I also give it to friends and support a number of kickstarters, a few patreons, a number of subscriptions on Twitch (go Tornis!), and am hoping to get into Fig to do investing on upcoming games.

Man, I wish I had a cool friend like you. My wife and I have a combined $200 in savings and I don't get paid until the 20th. She got sick and lost her job and then there were medical bills :/.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Mirificus posted:

They also said, "With SC CIG is trying to build things up the RIGHT way from the beginning rather than trying to hack things over time."

The first thing they done was to hack a game engine that wasn't designed to do what they wanted it to do.

Pooned posted:

What is a parp? Sorry I haven't read all 10k posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_6CZ2JaEuc

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Man, I wish I had a cool friend like you. My wife and I have a combined $200 in savings and I don't get paid until the 20th. She got sick and lost her job and then there were medical bills :/.

Is your wife BetsyBigTits ?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
BetsyBigTits is my spirit animal

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Agrajag posted:

BetsyBigTits is my spirit animal

It's really not a very indicative name. She's actually called Tina.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I have an upcoming game and need investors

I give 3 magic beans and a procedural catte module.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Referral program rewards and clarification

Some guy who bought 10 extra Star Citizen accounts posted:

I unlocked my 10th today, so here are the rewards. The Gladius has 6MI, this was previously unclarified. I am not sure which hangar it comes but it is not a game package (obviously).
Some clarifications:
If you make a blank account and let it "age" for 30 days, the timer for moving ships off new accounts starts from the first purchase, not creation.
The fish tank comes with 4 fish.
The badges are upstairs on the "Wall of Honor" - it looks like the plaque can hold 20 badges.
The buggy is identical to the base buggy.
I haven't found the gold statue models yet.
Rewards are a permanent unlock even if the referred accounts melt or gift off the game package. (obviously)
Morality aside, whether your referrals are legitimate or self-bought, CIG is still getting funding.

I can't be arsed to look up the costs if buying this crap so just going to make figures up. Buggy is $15, 4 fish $15, gladius ship $90, guns $15, prices with no VAT. Badges I assume you can't buy.

So somewhere around $15 per account you make, because lets face it you don't have any friends, they signed up already or they avoid you rather than risk you mentioning Star Citizen again.

I wonder what the 25 signup ship is. Pyramid schemes are awesome and think how many new backers CIG will be able to tell the press they have.

quote:

From 10 Up to 155 recruits get´s you nothing more atm so it seems.

:gary:

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

found my new waifu :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sappo569 posted:

• Locked thread