Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Incombibulator posted:

I give 3 magic beans and a procedural catte module.

You're in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
Is she seriously wearing an old people alarm?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Amun Khonsu posted:

Is she seriously wearing an old people alarm?

It's a lock of Old man's hair

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

It's a lock of Old man's hair

oh is that the box of shorn pubes? heh

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

Loiosh posted:

I think around $1,500 or so including gifts. It's all in the goonswarm google spreadsheet, though not updated for some package upgrades. (For those curious, this is under half of what I've gifted to friends on Steam: )

I consider it a sunk cost at this point. At the moment I'm concerned that CIG may fail, but I would, being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

how did he buy star citizen stuff with steam???

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

ThePotatoMasher posted:

how did he buy star citizen stuff with steam???

No, no. His point was that he is generous in other spheres therefore he should burn money.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Warcabbit posted:

Oh, hey, you're Bootcha's GF? Pleasure to meet you. I'm one of the people who bothers him on skype now and again.

Oh, I forgot, yes. He showed me the Skype message where you asked about me. Hi. :wave:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dunite posted:

I think you fail to notice the truely ironic thing about this model.

They spent a good chunk of time modeling the spherical aberations and occlusions in the lense when they could have simply modeled it as perfectly clear cause future.

That design decision shows how much effort they put into thinking how tech would work in the future, instead they just went for some steampunk / current gen mashup.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

I haven't found the gold statue models yet.

Wait, so it's possible CIG didn't actually put the gold statues they promised as a reward into the game?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

this is good.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

D_Smart posted:

You do realize that I was talking about PLANETARY ACCESS and not SEAMLESS TRANSITIONS right? Newsflash: they ARE different subjects
I do, but you seemed to be unaware that Frontier: Elite 2 included planetary access, seamless or otherwise.

Prior to that there was of course Starglider II, Damocles and a host of other excellent titles that provided spaceflight with planetary access.

D_Smart posted:

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

And seamless space<->planetary transition is a tech novelty and doesn't add ANYTHING to a game. At all.

Perhaps it means nothing to UC or LOD, but it's essential to things like Orbiter & Kerbal Space Program. Also, in the Infinity: Battlescape prototype it worked well, coming in from space at 20km/sec and using the atmosphere to slow down into the middle of a firefight. Flying like an aircraft for a bit while fighting, then fighting a running battle against 3 other players as I escaped into space and hit warp speed, the game is better for this 'gimmick'.

Now as to whether Star Citizen needs a 2 minutes+ on rails landing sequence every time you land, well... just remember that the Elite Design Decisions Forum members originally asked for 5-10 minute frameshift drive flights after hyperspace, it wasn't until after this was actually in the game that it got cut down to 1-2 minutes. Immersion is great the first time but gets boring fast.

illectro fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 13, 2015

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
Also, meet the mocap studio 4.5... or could just be Sandi's new office. Unclear as of writing.

It's getting completely decorated for sure. Stupid. Waste. Of. Money.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Loiosh posted:

being honest, like to see them succeed, because I like the idea of the game.

We all do, thats the whole point. We're pulling out cause we don't agree with how they're managing this project they pitched to us to Kickstart.

Making fun of them as we go along doesn't hurt as well. The problem is its a downward spiral where more backers are throwing money at them while there is absolutely no evidence of a coherent delivery according to their promises.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
now show us the new top of the line mocap equipment

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Agrajag posted:

i know a guy that is also german and he is an auditor

I just know he's german because he went to Gamesconn or whatever it was, while I was working with him on his modular building construction kit.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
If there is one thing I enjoy in life its a good cut scene.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Warcabbit posted:

I just know he's german because he went to Gamesconn or whatever it was, while I was working with him on his modular building construction kit.

well i know he's german and an auditor because he states it multiple times

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Agrajag posted:

now show us the new top of the line mocap equipment

If they bought new equipment after spending half a mil a few years ago the SC cult is going to go absolutely berserk trying to rationalize and explain it away.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm still reading this thread so I hope this isn't addressed. The only issue I have with you is what I've seen others try and do- you try and find every way to rationalize what is a series of problems that even you cannot explain.

When you find that you are searching for reasons why something should not be, maybe the answer is what you're avoiding.

I've watched as you picked things you can try to mitigate but ignore many other issues.

For example how a 3rd Constellation rework multiplies the dev cost of making it by 9.

Or how little of '2.0' has been shown. This is open development right? So with all these YouTube shows and the fact a big 'make or break' update is supposed to be almost ready- and the fanbase is shown concept art of yet another ship being redone a 3rd time.

By the way, if you count reworking the variants, each ship is now even more staggering:

Connie dev cost = a

Connie rework cost = 3a (cost of a plus the cost of second pass, plus cost of development for what's pushed back due to the rework)

Now add 3a for each variant, and we are at 7a. It's now cost 7 times the original Connie, however the result is now 4 ships. So we are back to 3a.

However now each Connie is being redone. 12a.

This last pass is costing roughly 12 times the cost of the original.

Let's not get into the Freelancer and Cutlass reworks.

They've managed to squander backer money by reiterating bad decisions.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

OhDearGodNo posted:

If they bought new equipment after spending half a mil a few years ago the SC cult is going to go absolutely berserk trying to rationalize and explain it away.

my understanding was that was exactly what they are doing for Santa Monica no?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Incombibulator posted:

Also, meet the mocap studio 4.5... or could just be Sandi's new office. Unclear as of writing.

That space is huge, and there are some whole companies that run out of offices the size of that single room

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Incombibulator posted:

Are those expensive floorboards? My $500 went to buy them new floorboards?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

no_recall posted:

No, that was used for lunch.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

no_recall posted:

cocaine

edit:

wouldn't it make more sense for a studio to have concrete for flooring? that way you won't have to worry about damaging the floor from moving the equipment around all the time and when constructing new sets and what have you? and what's up with all the windows in this soon to be mocap studio?

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 13, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

No, you $500 probably went to granite countertops in Sandy's new house. Those floorboards will be paid with someone's else money.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

cocaine

edit:

wouldn't it make more sense for a studio to have concrete for flooring? that way you won't have to worry about damaging the floor from moving the equipment around all the time and when constructing new sets and what have you

Nope, they always need a reason to get more money.

i.e: Mocap session destroyed floorboards, guess what? Sabre LTI is back on sale! 50% from the sales will go into repairing the boards!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I like to imagine Chris is squirreling away his drugs in every place he can think of , using backer money

Those hard wood floor boards are made out of cocaine folks

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Meta-Mollusk posted:

It is indeed nice that you can afford to lose 1500$ and it's obviously yours to spend however the gently caress you please, but instead of just flushing it down the virtual toilet that is Star Citizen, you could always consider giving it to someone who actually needs and deserves it, like a charity for sick kids or something similar.

or a bottle of romanee conti

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
has there been a date specified for the anniversary sale?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Have we talked about the Track Jackets yet? Because they're arriving now and mine came in today.
Honestly they're a little cheap for $45. The lack the inner lining makes them look even cheaper. Best part, customs have the jackets valued at $10. :haw:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

has there been a date specified for the anniversary sale?

Isn't it this upcoming Thursday? A three hour live stream of dumb-- check the Comm Link for your time zone because YOU DONT WANNA MISS THESE DEALS!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lemon King posted:

Have we talked about the Track Jackets yet? Because they're arriving now and mine came in today.
Honestly they're a little cheap for $45. The lack the inner lining makes them look even cheaper. Best part, customs have the jackets valued at $10. :haw:
Please take pictures for us-- and tell us the address it shipped from!

Or take a picture of the shipping label-- we've been waiting to do some investigating.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Agrajag posted:

wouldn't it make more sense for a studio to have concrete for flooring? that way you won't have to worry about damaging the floor from moving the equipment around all the time and when constructing new sets and what have you? and what's up with all the windows in this soon to be mocap studio?

Depends what you expect to do and what kind of floor boards you're using. Wood can be at the same time both hardy and surprisingly soft, making it easier to get away with thin mattresses when slamming your face against it while capturing death animations. But yes, it'll most likely get scuffed — it's a dynamic work place with lots of movable equipment, so what's in those pictures doesn't make much sense.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

G0RF posted:

Please take pictures for us-- and tell us the address it shipped from!

Or take a picture of the shipping label-- we've been waiting to do some investigating.

I posted these on Twitter: http://imgur.com/a/4TwgL and it shipped from Guangzhou, China by 4PX Worldwide Express.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lemon King posted:

I posted these on Twitter: http://imgur.com/a/4TwgL and it shipped from Guangzhou, China by 4PX Worldwide Express.

Post the customs label, just black out your details

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

A better use for a buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmrkDO9iFyw

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lemon King posted:

Best part, customs have the jackets valued at $10. :haw:
Wait...

Isn't the shipper supposed to declare the paid Retail Price of the merchandise to Customs when shipping out of country? I thought that was the requirement so that the state could determine the appropriate duties and taxes? Is CIG cheating here?

Any of you losers order an expensive spaceship model? It would be very interesting to know the Declared Value to Customs on that!

Edit: Well this is interesting...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 13, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lemon King posted:

Thank you.

But does the shipper list the originating address? Like the street address / business name / postal code or that stuff? THAT is what we've been curious about for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Agrajag posted:

my understanding was that was exactly what they are doing for Santa Monica no?

They bought approx 50 Optitrack Prime 17w cameras - they run about $4,000 each.

However it was mentioned before that using Optitrack isn't the "top of the line" system. It wouldn't surprise me if they trashed it for something pricier.

Chris Roberts has been drooling over Vicon for years.

• Locked thread