Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Geoj posted:

California/New York/[desirable place to live] is always nice to visit but gently caress living there unless I'm financially independent and don't have to work.

New York has workable transit, I'm told, though I've never been there so I could be talking out my rear end. That goes a really, really long way to dealing with lovely traffic. Large cities in the west, and this applies to Canada and the US, are generally so horrible because they're spread out as all gently caress so transit cannot possibly work in an efficient manner. Calgary, for example, has one of the busiest transit systems in North America by some metric I can't recall, and yet it's still utter garbage because it simply has so much space to cover.

Of course, it's so busy because it costs the same to rent a downtown parking spot as it would to rent a whole apartment in other cities -- and there's a massive waiting list for reserved parking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

New York has workable transit, I'm told, though I've never been there so I could be talking out my rear end.

This works if you can afford to live in the city proper, but if you live outside and have to commute in (or even to a mass transit hub outside the city) that all gets blown out the window.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I used to commute about 50 miles from New Jersey to Midtown Manhattan and I had to fortune of living near a train line and having my office mere blocks from Penn Station. The commute took about 1 hour and 10 minutes and it mostly worked out well while I was working there. Not that it was trouble free since there are only two tracks going under the Hudson River so any kind of blockage from a disabled train to ice in the tunnel to a breakdown in the overhead wires can gently caress things over really badly. Plus not only does 4 NJ Transit train lines have to share that tunnel but they also have to share it with Amtrack for trains between D.C. and Boston. Delays weren't too common, but common enough that I just resign to my fate, but on a good day during rush hour my commute usually ends up taking about 1 hour and 20 to 30 minutes.

However if you have to work outside of Manhattan, fuhgeddaboudit. I had delusions of continuing to work in New York but living in New Jersey albeit a lot closer to where I was currently living. After taking mass transit to get to interviews in Brooklyn, specifically Dumbo and Sheepshead Bay, I knew that if I wanted to work in those parts of New York I would have to live there. Good thing I found a job outside of New York City. Driving in New York is something I never look forward to and something I actively try to avoid whenever possible.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Having lived my whole life near Philly, and recently driving across the whole country to move to Southern California - nothing is as hosed up as Southern California.

I've been on the Beltway in DC during rush hour. Its hosed up but navigable. Just stay to the right. Everyone merges on 15 mph below the rest of traffic. If you can avoid that, they immediately cut 3 lanes over to the far left and accelerate to 10 under. You're in the clear until the next onramp.

Southern California, its true, they drive as fast as they can when there isn't complete gridlock. Every and all lanes. If you're not tailgating, you're gonna get cut off. Makes a poo poo ton of sense to floor it all the time considering gas is still $3.00.

Try to stay in the middle to cruise, nope. You wont be able to exit because people keep sniping the poo poo out of the right lane.

Stay to the right? No dice. The right lane is constantly changing to Exit Only. Even if you try to stay in the middle, after a mile or two you will find yourself in the far right Exit Only without ever having changed lanes.

And when there is the legendary traffic, you better hold onto your butts and stay where you are at because motorcycles just lane split out of nowhere at ludicrous speeds.

I'm wholly convinced at this point that California's traffic issues are not due to the volume of cars, but rather poor design. The freeways are built to fail. Then you have the biggest piece of poo poo cars breaking down everywhere. Thank CARB we have no smog but for the burning engine bays on the side of the road. At least in the Northeast we have a progressive road salting program to cull the unfit from entering the roadways.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I went straight through an intersection at the end of a line of cars just as it started to go yellow, the woman across from me wanted to go left, and as I was half-way through the intersection she tried to force her way across in front of me and almost hit my front bumper, but I stopped just short of us colliding. Since she stopped, I moved around her to get going again and unblock the intersection, and she punched her steering wheel and screamed "WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST LET ME GO, IT'S UNFAIR!"

A grown woman in a brand new looking Passat threw a tantrum.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Just saw an a motorcycle stop at a flashing red and almost get pasted by a jackass who thankfully just cut me off and ran it. What the gently caress is hard to understand about flashing red? I don't have the balls to ride one of those, you can't trust people for poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sleepy.eyes posted:

Just saw an a motorcycle stop at a flashing red and almost get pasted by a jackass who thankfully just cut me off and ran it. What the gently caress is hard to understand about flashing red? I don't have the balls to ride one of those, you can't trust people for poo poo.

See also: flashing yellow, and the stupid fuckers who STOP AT IT AND NEED BEATING TO DEATH!

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I don't know what it is with people around here. They fly on through flashing red lights and now they fly on through no lights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5Vfmlk6mo

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The people you share a road with:

My mom just found this on my windshield. Can't think of what provoked it; only thing I've done recently was follow some guys who blew around me at the stop sign in front of my house, about a month ago. I cooled off after a minute and turned around without doing anything, but maybe they remembered and are still pissed that someone didn't just bend over and accept them being pricks (they'd almost rear-ended me several times leading up to said stop sign trying to push me to speed, and were doing about 40 driving away from me. that's why i let off, i wasn't about to go that fast in a neighborhood just for vigilante justice).

Or maybe they just don't like aftermarket exhausts? :shrug: Either way, nice to have an enemy I guess.

I'd like to report this to the police but there's really nothing for them to record, is there?

E: Took another picture with timestamp and a brief description of the incident, just in case poo poo does escalate.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 11, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I am reasonably impressed he used "should have" and not "should of".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Report it. Give them all the information you have. It doesn't matter if they do anything about it now; if they get more reports about these people they'll take it more seriously. It can't hurt. Some places you don't even have to give your name to report something to the police.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

PCOS Bill posted:

A grown woman in a brand new looking Passat threw a tantrum.

Maybe it's a TDI?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today I was sitting on my motorcycle in a parking lot, and watched a woman in a Dodge Ram 2500 with an extended bed consider for some time whether she could fit her truck into the spot clearly marked COMPACT.

I'm sure you can figure out what she eventually decided.

Enourmo posted:

The people you share a road with:

My mom just found this on my windshield. Can't think of what provoked it

Some people are just assholes. There's a guy down the road who thinks he owns the street in front of his house, and will call the police on anyone who parks in "his" spot with whatever "violation" he can come up with. I parked there once and came back to a ticket for "improperly curbed wheels" -- the street has less than a 2% grade and literally no one else curbs their wheels on it. None of the other cars in the row had tickets despite their wheels being the same way. I mentioned it to the landlord and he immediately asked "did you park in front of *** house? Because yeah, he does that."

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 12, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sagebrush posted:

Some people are just assholes. There's a guy down the road who thinks he owns the street in front of his house, and will call the police on anyone who parks in "his" spot with whatever "violation" he can come up with. I parked there once and came back to a ticket for "improperly curbed wheels" -- the street has less than a 2% grade and literally no one else curbs their wheels on it. None of the other cars in the row had tickets despite their wheels being the same way. I mentioned it to the landlord and he immediately asked "did you park in front of *** house? Because yeah, he does that."

And the cops didn't just tell him to go pound sand? They're that as much a problem if they're enabling that behavior.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I drive in Southern California about one week out of the year and don't mind it. It's the same terrible behavior I see in the Northwest, just at a faster rate of speed - so hey, at least we're getting somewhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

And the cops didn't just tell him to go pound sand? They're that as much a problem if they're enabling that behavior.

Sadly that seems to be a common thing. "Eh, he probably just had a bad day, won't happen again".

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Driving onto the highway today, i nearly got pasted by an elderly couple who apparently didn't want to either speed up, move over a lane or slow down, and instead decided to match speed with me coming down the on-ramp. I laid on my horn until they let me in behind them.

These on-ramps have great visibility but they'd been hiding in my blind spot, so if i hadn't done an extra check before merging, it'd have gone badly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frobbe posted:

Driving onto the highway today, i nearly got pasted by an elderly couple who apparently didn't want to either speed up, move over a lane or slow down, and instead decided to match speed with me coming down the on-ramp. I laid on my horn until they let me in behind them.

These on-ramps have great visibility but they'd been hiding in my blind spot, so if i hadn't done an extra check before merging, it'd have gone badly.

I think there's some sort of driving equivalent to tidal locking, where idiots will simply remain in your blind spot no matter what speed you choose to do, due to some sort of unconscious brain defect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

I think there's some sort of driving equivalent to tidal locking, where idiots will simply remain in your blind spot no matter what speed you choose to do, due to some sort of unconscious brain defect.

There certainly is, and is why every 30 pages or so we have a discussion about how you can gently caress with people on the highway by gradually slowing down.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sagebrush posted:

Some people are just assholes. There's a guy down the road who thinks he owns the street in front of his house, and will call the police on anyone who parks in "his" spot with whatever "violation" he can come up with.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/man-unable-to-feel-clean-after-strange-car-parked-in-his-space-20151018103017

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Driving home from work through the polder, because gently caress the morons on the motorway.

The bridge over the A50 is reduced to a single lane, so there are traffic lights alternating between the directions of traffic.

When I just crested the bridge I see two motorcycle cops overtake the line of cars in the other direction, blues and two's hauling serious rear end.
One of them passes between me and the cones, the other motions at me to gtfo. So I quickly check over my shoulder to see where the moped I overtook before the bridge has gone. He's quite a way behind me, so I cross the soft shoulder to clear the road, and hold on the cycle path.
A little bit later a mobile intensive care unit (ambulance on steroids) tears down the road at speeds I wouldn't dare dream of doing at that stretch of road.

Once the mobile icu has passed I check to see if it is safe to cross back onto the road. And lo and behold there we have the moped.
Turns out he thinks I have no business being on the cycle path. So he blocks my car and starts yelling at me.
Things like "what if I was a cop in plain clothes" and "I ought to put you under citizens arrest".
I tried to tell the moron that the cops told me to make way for the ambulance, so I did. He argues that the cops would never tell someone to put their car on the cycle path.

After a couple minutes of bickering from this idiot, I call the cops. gently caress dealing with this.
As luck had it there was a car nearby, so the cops were with us really quick. After him raging at the cops about everything I supposedly did wrong and me telling them I was instructed to make way by their colleagues, the cops do their standard thing. License and registration, please. Turns out the moped moron was riding with a suspended license.

loving idiot.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I love a happy ending! :dance:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Deedle posted:

loving idiot.

I was having a bad day, but this bought a smile to my face. Your good deed quota for the day has been fulfilled.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Deedle posted:

loving idiot.

I really have a hard time understanding people like this, why the gently caress would you hang around with a suspended license when you know the police are on their way?

About four or five years ago I had some rear end in a top hat follow me into a parking lot after I blew my horn at him when he almost sideswiped me to exit the highway at the last second. I was working as a field technician at the time and he started following me into the store I had a service call at so I made a big show of calling 911.

Instead of loving off he waited around for the 30-45 minutes it took the cops to show up (we both sat in our cars) and ended up getting arrested and convicted of some misdemeanor charge, IIRC he got a $1500 fine and several hours of community service. I remember overhearing the two officers chatting after they had cuffed and arrested the guy that he was a loving idiot for waiting around because it wouldn't have been worth their time to track him down had he left.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Geoj posted:

I really have a hard time understanding people like this, why the gently caress would you hang around with a suspended license when you know the police are on their way?

About four or five years ago I had some rear end in a top hat follow me into a parking lot after I blew my horn at him when he almost sideswiped me to exit the highway at the last second. I was working as a field technician at the time and he started following me into the store I had a service call at so I made a big show of calling 911.

Instead of loving off he waited around for the 30-45 minutes it took the cops to show up (we both sat in our cars) and ended up getting arrested and convicted of some misdemeanor charge, IIRC he got a $1500 fine and several hours of community service. I remember overhearing the two officers chatting after they had cuffed and arrested the guy that he was a loving idiot for waiting around because it wouldn't have been worth their time to track him down had he left.

Because some people are morons. That's why.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Geoj posted:

When I lived in NC a few years back with my brother, I had a similar thing happen - took a U-turn right outside his shop to head home after a pickup passed by, and the guy in the pickup followed me back to my brother's house. Started ranting and called the cops, said I almost sideswiped him which was bullshit because he was easily a half car length past me before I even turned, and in the outside lane no less. Cops got there, took statements, took our IDs, and oopsie, dipshit in the pickup had a couple warrants for failure to appear after a previous traffic violation. Cuffed, stuffed, truck towed, I couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous it all was. Vigilante justice is a loving stupid idea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Why would they? They get a $71 parking ticket out of the deal.

WIthout going into detail for legal reasons, I didn't end up having to pay the ticket, but the battle continues. Parking in front of the same house has resulted in a condom stuck on my side mirror and a red slushie drink being poured all over my motorcycle. I can't prove that it was the guy, but I've reported all the incidents to the cops so that there's a record of repeated harassment if I do catch him in the act.

Currently I just don't park there, so congratulations, guy, you won.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sagebrush posted:

Why would they? They get a $71 parking ticket out of the deal.

WIthout going into detail for legal reasons, I didn't end up having to pay the ticket, but the battle continues. Parking in front of the same house has resulted in a condom stuck on my side mirror and a red slushie drink being poured all over my motorcycle. I can't prove that it was the guy, but I've reported all the incidents to the cops so that there's a record of repeated harassment if I do catch him in the act.

Currently I just don't park there, so congratulations, guy, you won.

Set up a camera, then park in front of his house in a manner where law enforcement won't have a reason to issue a citation. I think you can see where I'm going with this...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Remember kids, it's not entrapment if they do it of their own accord!

e: or if you're not a LEO i guess ianal

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Enourmo posted:

Remember kids, it's not entrapment if they do it of their own accord!

e: or if you're not a LEO i guess ianal

Not a lawyer either, but one of the requirements for entrapment is the activity being induced has to be something the person would not normally engage in. Since vandalizing legally parked cars is something he does on a semi-regular basis I think he'd have a hard time presenting an entrapment defense.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Sagebrush posted:

Parking in front of the same house has resulted in a condom stuck on my side mirror and a red slushie drink being poured all over my motorcycle. I can't prove that it was the guy, but I've reported all the incidents to the cops so that there's a record of repeated harassment if I do catch him in the act.

I have a neighbor who's pissy about the street spots near his house too but no one resorts to vandalism, thankfully. Why would you even do that when your house, worth 10x as much as any car, is sitting right there waiting for retaliation? I hope that guy learns his lesson the hard way.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

I'm driving up 330 towards Big Bear, CA, which is a 5500' climb up a mountain over about 15 miles, mostly one lane with a few passing zones. It's dark and I'm unfamiliar with this road and I don't want to fall off of the mountain, and I had just been proper hosed by rush hour traffic on 91 through Riverside.

Wow, that is something. I've driven up and down Rim of the World Highway four or five times, but only during the day. I can't imagine doing it at night and with that much bullshit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I'm driving up 330 towards Big Bear, CA, which is a 5500' climb up a mountain over about 15 miles, mostly one lane with a few passing zones.

What happens if you get behind a semi or something? Do you just slit your wrists in the car, or what? Rogers Pass, the only mountain pass I'm really familiar with from driving myself, is enough of a massive bastard, and that's a much longer distance and not as significant a climb (around 3000' I think).

EDIT: Jesus, that's worse than the Coq (it's both shorter and a greater climb). That sounds more like the path of a forestry road than an actual, regularly-used road.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 13, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It does become two lanes here and there. I'm sure trucks take another road maybe, but I did see one bobtailing on its way up while I was going down.

Great views during the day though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

It does become two lanes here and there.

As does Rogers Pass (and the bit east of Golden, too... I won't lie, I've done 160 km/h up that hill with the passing section to pass the last big rig prior to the section which is either the best or the worst section of the drive from Calgary to anywhere in BC). On the subject of Ten Mile Hill, coming in the other direction, I remember bitching about it a year or two ago when I was stuck behind a semi trying to overtake another semi, both at 40 km/h under the limit. Well, last time I was there in late October, it loving happened again! They should strictly ban semis from the passing lane on Ten Mile Hill, under pain of death.

I'm guessing, though, this highway is minor and not a part of the main east-west highway in the entire loving country.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

My dad taught me that instead of calling the cops, if someone is following you after road rage, to just drive to your local police department so you can sort it out there. No waiting for cops to arrive, no showing the crazy person where you live.

Obviously doesn't work if they cut you off or whatever but if they just follow it works great. He's only had to do it once.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You need to know where the police station is, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I get a refresher every Friday!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

VideoTapir posted:

Depending on the station there are not necessarily always going to be cops there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I just carry a George Zimmerman with me to deal out justice when necessary.