Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

I have a feeling Chris gets really angsty watching this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I realized Francis is Ben's long lost brother

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Lemon King posted:

I posted these on Twitter: http://imgur.com/a/4TwgL and it shipped from Guangzhou, China by 4PX Worldwide Express.

Guangzhou province is just a routing centre for 4px

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

EminusSleepus posted:

See, this is why a good old board game will always be better than a computer game. :D

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

G0RF posted:

"FREELANCER REWORK CONCEPT ART
(Work-in-Progress)"

These 7 words say so very, very much about CIG, its operational efficiency, 'The State of The Game', and more.

It's a WORK-IN-PROGRESS bit of CONCEPT ART for a REWORK of the Freelancer.

Why that doesn't terrify backers at this point I have no idea- but oh well...

---

Also, that dude doing crunches looks like his arms are as long as his legs...

Oh, hey there Acronym dude...

Dapper Dan posted:

Let's go over this again.

First motion capture studio was bought and built in Austin in 2013. This was never used, presumably because Chris thought the space was too small.

The second was renting out Andy Serkis' imaginarium a year later.

The third was renting out Cubic Motion, whose CEO is Simon Elms, a good friend of CRoberts and Erin Roberts. If you don't think he got paid more than the going rate lol.

The fourth is a completely new studio in Santa Monica with new, high end equipment. The stuff from the old studio was presumably sold off.

Actually, people forget there was another mocap studio called 3lateral between the Imaginarium and Cubic Motion. 3lateral was hired specifically for facial animation. OhDearGodNo found this out, scouring through RSI/CIG press releases.

So, we have actually five motion capture studios.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
when are they going to show off the gardening ship again

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

G0RF posted:

Wait...

Isn't the shipper supposed to declare the paid Retail Price of the merchandise to Customs when shipping out of country? I thought that was the requirement so that the state could determine the appropriate duties and taxes? Is CIG cheating here?

Any of you losers order an expensive spaceship model? It would be very interesting to know the Declared Value to Customs on that!

Edit: Well this is interesting...

PM'd you the label, the $10 label is in place over another label. But I don't want to remove it without damaging it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Oh, hey there Acronym dude...

Actually, people forget there was another mocap studio called 3lateral between the Imaginarium and Cubic Motion. 3lateral was hired specifically for facial animation. OhDearGodNo found this out, scouring through RSI/CIG press releases.

So, we have actually five motion capture studios.

Who is the artists on staff at CIG that keeps injecting real pictures of people randomly into their stuff?

It looks super weird and out of place, and possibly breaching some sort of copyright laws I'm sure

They did the same thing with the posters for spergcon 2015 too I remember, that and forgetting to remove the Hilton hotel symbol... did anyone tell Hilton about that by any chance?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Nation posted:

when are they going to show off the gardening ship again

You mean the fish bone ship?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lemon King posted:

PM'd you the label, the $10 label is in place over another label. But I don't want to remove it without damaging it.

Ugh just show all of us citizen

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Can you stand on the toilet and poo poo in the sink and leave your poo poo there if not where is the realism??

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Imagine four arrows at the edge of a toilet.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sappo569 posted:

Ugh just show all of us citizen
I'm Fallouting right now but I will put together a summary of info if he doesn't want to post it in here.

I'm still intrigued about the customs declaration being way undervalued. That seems like bad form.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

G0RF posted:

Wait...

Isn't the shipper supposed to declare the paid Retail Price of the merchandise to Customs when shipping out of country? I thought that was the requirement so that the state could determine the appropriate duties and taxes? Is CIG cheating here?

Any of you losers order an expensive spaceship model? It would be very interesting to know the Declared Value to Customs on that!

Edit: Well this is interesting...

that is to avoid customs hassle and possible tax

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

G0RF posted:

I'm Fallouting right now but I will put together a summary of info if he doesn't want to post it in here.

I'm still intrigued about the customs declaration being way undervalued. That seems like bad form.

This is actually pretty standard swindling; nothing specific to CIG. I ordered a full retail boxed dual Android and Windows boot tablet from China for $275. It came to me customs stamped as a "sample" and value was listed as 40 bucks.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Psychology of crowd behaviour, hype & hysteria posted:

[disclaimer] This is just pretentious amateur speculation, and not intended to trivialise legitimate concerns.

I made this thread for us armchair psychologists who enjoy analysing human behaviour. I think the response to star citizen is an interesting model for certain kinds of collective behaviour, and I'm curious about your opinions.

Personally I'm fascinated by the psychology behind the concerns we attach to trivial things related to SC, bits of information gleaned from podcats or controversies passed along in the rumour mill. I think it could be explained by a combination of factors:
  • Fans being invested financially to the order of hundreds/thousands of dollars, and not being used to the risk & uncertainty associated with investing
  • We're also invested in the vision of the game: we're afraid that vision won't pan out because for many of us, it's our dream videogame
  • General lack of knowledge of what an ordinary game development process looks like under the hood
  • An air of hysteria from the massive hype, controversy and predictions of failure
  • Impatience for something playable
I think all of this is a recipe for irrational behaviour. People get caught up in the hysteria and over-interpret small details. There's also a subset of people who derive pleasure from seeing ambitious people fail, a bit like tall poppy syndrome. Another subset of people deal with the fear of disappointment by artificially lowering their own expectations, and in cases like SC, the anti-hype required to offset expectations is an equal & opposite force. In some ways this approach is rational, in the sense that it creates a win/win scenario: Either the game fails and you avoid disappointment and can say "I told you so!", or you're rewarded by an awesome game.

I find crowd behavior, hysteria & irrationality to be incredibly interesting: Human can be pretty dumb animals, driven by basic instincts & emotions. And our subconscious is clever at protecting us from perceived harm. I'm enjoying that star citizen is bringing this out in us, it's a bit like watching a train wreck. Meanwhile the devs are powering along not giving a gently caress.

Given the unique transparency of the project, and the fact that it's the largest crowdfunded project ever (and perhaps the most ambitious game ever), all eyes are on star citizen. Ignorance feeds the hysteria, and people will generally try to confirm their bias by reading others' opinions or looking for facts to support an existing view, as opposed to reading widely with an open mind.

The media lives by controversy so their incentive is to construct narratives that are plausible enough sustain controversy. Unfalsifiable fearmongering works best, and the hysteria they generate feeds back into their narrative, giving it a sense of legitimacy. Which is why people like DS stay in the news, despite having nothing of substance to contribute.

When someone has concerns about an investment but no real control over it, this can be difficult to deal with. As an outlet for their frustration or in an attempt to exert control, they'll complain loudly & often, which can end up working against their interests.

In some respects I think CIG might be a bit too willing to take our concerns on board, although I think they are trying to strike a balance. I hope they don't get burned out from so much community contact, and that they can maintain a measure of trust in their own judgement. As a community, we should recognise that we're the amateurs and they're the pros, and that they don't need to defer to us for every decision. We should think through the consequences of each concern we might share: whether it's constructive and serves the game; whether voicing our concern will realistically have a positive net effect.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

DarkRefreshment posted:

This is actually pretty standard swindling; nothing specific to CIG. I ordered a full retail boxed dual Android and Windows boot tablet from China for $275. It came to me customs stamped as a "sample" and value was listed as 40 bucks.
No, I get that it's not unprecedented-- I'm just saying if CIG has made it policy to underreport transaction values on merchandise so as to avoid paying appropriate fees-- then it's yet another bullet point to add to the big list of financial misdeeds. A minor offense compared to many of the rest but interesting in that it reinforces their image of cutting any corner possible to make a buck, even if it heightens their own risk of later penalty.

Derek Smart-- will you be writing a new post? "Interstellar Frauds"?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What the gently caress is supposedly so ambitious about this game? Why do people keep saying that? Isn't it flying around in space and doing stuff at ports on planets? That had been done dozens of times already.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

EminusSleepus posted:

Don't know why this guy gets so angry over what I presume is a loss.

He should be proud to be a loser. It would set him in the right mindset to lose some pounds.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

starkebn posted:

What the gently caress is supposedly so ambitious about this game? Why do people keep saying that? Isn't it flying around in space and doing stuff at ports on planets? That had been done dozens of times already.
You ask too many questions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

starkebn posted:

Seamless transition between ship and first person, which in the case of larger ships means walking around inside/outside of them, is pretty ambitious.

But that's about it, really. Everything else is just buzzwords with no solid plans.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Dunite posted:

Don't know why this guy gets so angry over what I presume is a loss.

He should be proud to be a loser. It would set him in the right mindset to lose some pounds.

The guy plays the character of an extreme loser nerd. The actual guy doesn't really act like that.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

starkebn posted:

never before has there been a project to fleece so many nerds at the same time for so much

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

"Objective related corporate markers" these guys are just making up poo poo now. They can't process that this project is so far off the rails the train is now charging over the Pacific ocean floor.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So there are a few more buzzwords on the checklist, got it. Highly ambitious. Something that makes no difference to the core gameplay at all. Like hours of mocap.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hey Bootcha, how aggravated does it make you feel when these loving retarded whales call their thousand dollar jpeg purchases "investments"?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hey Bootcha, how aggravated does it make you feel when these loving retarded whales call their thousand dollar jpeg purchases "investments"?

He probably feels a deep sense of shame. Something like "I aided in this coming to pass, god forgive me." Followed by a cross over his heart.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah what do these fucks know, they only wasted a few thousand dollars

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I thought they were donations? You gotta love how they change the narrative between "donation" and "investment" to suit their flimsy arguments.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

I thought they were donations? You gotta love how they change the narrative between "donation" and "investment" to suit their flimsy arguments.

I pledge my life to Croberts. Life is grand living for a kickstarter! *falls on fake sword when game never comes out*

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

I pledge my life to Croberts. Life is grand living for a kickstarter! *falls on fake sword when game never comes out*

"Look, it's not a waste of my money, it was a donation ok." *reads Derek Smart blog* "HOW DARE THIS gently caress RISK MY INVESTMENT!"

ether
May 20, 2001

I am the suicide-prefention bars on the windows.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ether posted:

Holy poo poo, I noticed that the bars are mounted on the inside.

Are we sure C-Rob isn't building a sex dungeon instead of a mocap studio?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tarranon posted:

yeah what do these fucks know, they only wasted a few thousand dollars

Except Bootcha invested 200k with the idea that he would receive MORE money in the end. Thats how investments work.

Buying jpegs isn't an investment.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Young Freud posted:

Are we sure C-Rob isn't building a sex dungeon instead of a mocap studio?

It could be both. Gotta mocap those sex slave cargo pens at some point.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
a bunch of fail brained reddtors and goons managed to make more than they put in on the space ship market compared to the ostensible VC, and the world continues to grind on its retarded axis

no one is coming out of this looking pretty

especially me, for thinking that this isn't the new hellthread, a samsara of bad posting

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Turn your jpegs into Bitcoin. It can only go up.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

ether posted:

I assumed those were to keep :lesnick: lunch from getting away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

Turn your jpegs into Cigcoin. It can only go.

FtFy.

Loiosh posted:

That I would not know, so I'm speculating here that the 64bit change is related to entity positioning. The model is represented as a state vector (correct on this, game devs?) but the animation system is completely separate from the positional data of the entities. It just works on the rig, and the rig is instructions for how the bones and joints move on the skeletal frame. I remember that Last of Us uses hints for objects and animation tags to allow for dynamic things like Joel placing his hand on nearby objects when crouched, but I have no idea how that works.

In answer to your latter, the lack of progress I gave my feelings on earlier, wherein I have a different perspective from the current one here.

As others have already mentioned, your point of view is welcome in the thread, we do hope, as well, that whatever you have invested into cig, you can easily recover,
Also, you have been on SA long enough to know that we love to take the micky out of anything/one, so, no need to feel obliged to justify anything.
Perhaps take a leaf out of Derek's book.

• Locked thread