Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Having just checked the version in the film, I think you're right about that line in particular.

I also think Natalie Portman's performance comes off better in the unaltered lines in that trailer. Which makes it kind of unfortunate that a clever turn in the narrative depends on neutralizing her delivery in a lot of her scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Zoran posted:

Having just checked the version in the film, I think you're right about that line in particular.

I also think Natalie Portman's performance comes off better in the unaltered lines in that trailer. Which makes it kind of unfortunate that a clever turn in the narrative depends on neutralizing her delivery in a lot of her scenes.

Doubly so considering wooden acting is one of the complaints about that movie.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mahoning posted:

Doubly so considering wooden acting is one of the complaints about that movie.

I guess it just came down to a choice between telling the story he wanted and getting a stronger performance from his actors. Whatever you think of George, I think we can all agree that he'd choose the first option every time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zoran posted:

I guess it just came down to a choice between telling the story he wanted and getting a stronger performance from his actors. Whatever you think of George, I think we can all agree that he'd choose the first option every time.

This is a very concise summary of the issue. Maybe even replace "telling the story he wanted" with "making the movie he envisioned" since he is so visual/impressionistic.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Corek posted:

Focus Group Guy: [after showing the kids some Itchy & Scratchy cartoons] Okay, how many of the kids would like Itchy & Scratchy to deal with real life problems like the ones you face every day?
[the kids cheer]
Focus Group Guy: And who would like to see them do just the opposite, getting into far-out situations involving robots and magic powers.
[the kid kids cheer again]
Focus Group Guy: So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?
[the kids all chat at once about it being a great idea]
Milhouse Van Houten: And, also, you should win things by watching.

To be fair, this describes like half of modern cartoons.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I think one of the main mistakes of TPM is not having Padme be the protagonist. She's the one who has outside forces thrust upon her at the start of the film and must go on a (literal and metaphorical) journey to save her people. And yet somehow Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are the ones we follow despite really having nothing at stake for them.

But she is the protagonist. She's the emotional center of the film. She gets a number of scenes on Coruscant focused entirely on her choices and her interactions with the main villain of the series. The final battle is made to showcase her leadership. She just takes a backseat in Act 2 while reluctantly letting Qui-Gon take charge. (And her arguments with Qui-Gon throughout are hilarious when you know that Qui-Gon sees through her disguise.)

However, I do think her centrality doesn't show through because of the Padme/Amidala duality. We don't intuitively connect all of Padme's scenes together.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

porfiria posted:

To be fair, this describes like half of modern cartoons.

Modern cartoons are good.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Bongo Bill posted:

Modern cartoons are good.

They're better than the crap they were putting out last millennium that's for sure.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Zoran posted:

But she is the protagonist. She's the emotional center of the film. She gets a number of scenes on Coruscant focused entirely on her choices and her interactions with the main villain of the series. The final battle is made to showcase her leadership. She just takes a backseat in Act 2 while reluctantly letting Qui-Gon take charge. (And her arguments with Qui-Gon throughout are hilarious when you know that Qui-Gon sees through her disguise.)

However, I do think her centrality doesn't show through because of the Padme/Amidala duality. We don't intuitively connect all of Padme's scenes together.

I mean, I agree with you. But the fact that one of the biggest complaints about it is that there is no protagonist, I'd say it was executed poorly. There are very few scenes when we get to empathize with her to the point where there's an emotional payoff when she and her merry men triumph.

Again, she's the only one that had anything at stake (Jar Jar too I guess) and we don't get any of the emotion of her having saved her planet.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Corek posted:

Focus Group Guy: [after showing the kids some Itchy & Scratchy cartoons] Okay, how many of the kids would like Itchy & Scratchy to deal with real life problems like the ones you face every day?
[the kids cheer]
Focus Group Guy: And who would like to see them do just the opposite, getting into far-out situations involving robots and magic powers.
[the kid kids cheer again]
Focus Group Guy: So you want a realistic down-to-earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots?
[the kids all chat at once about it being a great idea]
Milhouse Van Houten: And, also, you should win things by watching.

anime? :v:

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Any of you catch the new TV trailer on ABC a few minutes ago? Lots of new stuff shown.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I mean, I agree with you. But the fact that one of the biggest complaints about it is that there is no protagonist, I'd say it was executed poorly. There are very few scenes when we get to empathize with her to the point where there's an emotional payoff when she and her merry men triumph.

Again, she's the only one that had anything at stake (Jar Jar too I guess) and we don't get any of the emotion of her having saved her planet.

Yeah, we agree.

I'm torn about whether separating Padme-as-Queen and Padme-as-Handmaiden hurts the film. It makes it a lot harder for us as audience members to connect with her, but I love the deception and the reveal because it's a really cool way to cast almost all the principal characters (and some of the bit parts, like Panaka) in a new light.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

MrBigglesworth posted:

Any of you catch the new TV trailer on ABC a few minutes ago? Lots of new stuff shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27TiaemuExo&feature=youtu.be

starts at 0:26

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27TiaemuExo&t=16s

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wow, more good stuff. It's not spoilers to talk about a freaking commercial, is it? Anyway...

Ackbar sighting.
Han with blaster out.
Biggest surprise for me: Finn fighting a 1st Order stormtrooper with the lightsaber. The trooper appears to be using something similar to what the Magna guard droids in RotS were using.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

If you add Milhouse's line, then it pretty aptly describes Metal Gear. So yes.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Biggest surprise for me: Finn fighting a 1st Order stormtrooper with the lightsaber. The trooper appears to be using something similar to what the Magna guard droids in RotS were using.

theres figurines out with the baton and shield out already.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That Padme and The Queen are entirely different characters is the point. It's the same reason that Anakin and Vader are completely different (with different voices and so-on).

With Amidala, The Queen is absolutely not a protagonist (she's introduced as just this talking head on a screen) - but you can make a strong case for Padme the handmaiden. Her arc in the film is to rise up and dethrone The Queen - literally telling The Queen that she's not in charge anymore. Padme takes over and becomes Queen Padme.

Lucas is deliberately using multiple actresses to portray a single character - and this includes the woman killed by the bomb at the start of Ep.2. That woman is The Queen - the same character we saw in Phantom Menace. This woman's death signals the completion of Amidala's transition from being Queen Padme to being Senator Padme.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Viller posted:

theres figurines out with the baton and shield out already.

I saw the shield with the figure, didn't look close enough to catch the staff.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Animax posted:

I will watch this, but my expectations is gonna be low. I love being pleasantly surprised watching movies i believe will fail to entertain me.

This worked marvelously for me with The Matrix and The Mummy. Especially The Mummy; I was pretty much dragged to it and expected it to be just a regular lame old horror-ish type movie, so when I suddenly realized it wasn't taking itself seriously at all, I had a blast.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

"Ugh, dad, stop vaping in front of my friends!"

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kylo's "Nothing will stand in our way" sounded a bit better in this teaser.

Sounded really stiff in the trailer.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

iSheep posted:

Kylo's "Nothing will stand in our way" sounded a bit better in this teaser.

Sounded really stiff in the trailer.

His voice kinda breaks up on the 2nd line too, was already ok with it but its even better now.

edit: I think that second line might be Serkis.

Viller fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 13, 2015

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zoran posted:

In his own words, that's basically it:

George Lucas posted:

I said right from the beginning that I was looking for a voice for Darth Vader. I went through a lot of different tapes of people, including Orson Welles. But then I landed on James Earl Jones, because he's a superb actor. And I was so worried at that point, because it's minimalist acting in a mask: He doesn't get a huge range of stuff to deal with. I was looking for him to pull a realistic performance out of this constrained reality I had created and really grab the audience. It's one of these horrible acting exercises – sometimes directors put themselves in a corner, and it's thankless for the actor.

The same thing happened with Padmé in Episode I, when she had this very stilted dialogue as the Queen. And also with Hayden in Episode II. He said, "I don't want to be this whiny kid." I said, "Well, you are. You gotta be a whiny teenager."

Really the popular characterization of Lucas that's the most unfair is the idea that he was totally lacking in self-awareness about the potentially alienating nature of his films' idiosyncrasies.

It was actually pretty good-natured of him to go out there giving interviews basically saying, "I'm the one making these decisions, not the actors, so don't blame them."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stormtroopers armed with vibroblades to parry lightsaber attacks? The First Order is already 20 times smarter than it's predecessor.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Well, to be fair all the Jedi were wiped out and there was no need to mass produce lightsaber defenses for even just one dude who could potentially show up with a lightsaber.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Proposition Joe posted:

Well, to be fair all the Jedi were wiped out and there was no need to mass produce lightsaber defenses for even just one dude who could potentially show up with a lightsaber.
Yeah, all the "har har, why not just shoot bullets at them, or this or that other technical solution" overlooks that even during the height of the Republic there were like, what, twenty thousand Jedi maybe? For the entire galaxy? So it'd be like spending money to develop a military solution custom-designed to easily and crushingly fend off a rampaging elephant. It could happen. It's not impossible. But it would've been real rare.

I bet the separatists got some hilarious Jedi kills in, but I also imagine it only takes a few of those before the space wizards start getting wise to weird poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

True, but it would've been a decent weapon for Stormtroopers hunting down remnant Jedi after Order 66.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Shooting them a lot seemed to work in the prequels.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

drat, I could have sworn there were more Jedi than the 10,000 the internet says there were prior to Order 66. Huh.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Gonz posted:

Stormtroopers armed with vibroblades to parry lightsaber attacks? The First Order is already 20 times smarter than it's predecessor.

Wait. What? Why is this supposed to be effective? Vibroblades should be about as lightsaber resistant as a heavy metallic catwalk. Is the fact that it vibrates supposed to mean the small hunk of metal can resist energy better?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The existence of vibroblade-armed Stormtroopers in Episode VII might be something given to special forces for a variety of uses, because yeah, now that I think about it, it'd definitely be silly for them to be proliferated everywhere to defend against a weapon that no longer exists.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ugato posted:

Wait. What? Why is this supposed to be effective? Vibroblades should be about as lightsaber resistant as a heavy metallic catwalk. Is the fact that it vibrates supposed to mean the small hunk of metal can resist energy better?

quote:

A vibroblade resembled a short sword with a high-tech look and feel and consisted of the same basic design as other vibroweapons: the weapon's hilt or handle usually contained a compact ultrasonic vibration generator, causing the blade to vibrate at an incredible speed, making even the slightest glancing blow become a gaping wound. Vibroblades were dangerous to use against electrical weapons, as they conducted electricity. Electrocution, however, would be the wielder's last concern. Traveling up the length of the blade, the electricity would connect with a vibroblade's energy cell and ultrasonic vibration generator. The result would be a miniature explosion with enough force to take off a hand.

A vibroblade could be fitted with cortosis-weave, allowing it to parry the blows of lightsabers and energy swords. The cortosis-weave became less common when the probability of fighting a lightsaber-wielding opponent decreased. By the time of the Galactic Civil War, knowledge of the cortosis-weave had faded, and the cortosis mineral itself had become exceedingly rare. A highly adaptable variant of the vibroblade, the prototype vibroblade, could be fitted with a number of weapon enhancements.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

computer parts posted:

It's not even that, or at least that's only a side effect.

Star Wars fans operate on generating enjoyment from what's colloquially known as the "hype machine". The excitement comes from anticipating what's coming up next. Millions of dollars of toys are sold to hype up the coming movie, and so people can try to ascertain what the movie will be about. Trailers are watched dozens of times to get the excitement (frequently ) "from my childhood" back. When the actual final product fails to deliver, it doesn't really matter that much, because hey there's another movie coming out in a year or two so we can get hyped about that again!

The closest parallel is with video gamers. Like Star Wars fans, you get a focus around the hype of the release rather than the actual release itself. "Preorder now and get these goodies (that will come out to all platforms eventually anyway)!" "Watch these amazing pre-rendered trailers and imagine yourself doing the same!" etc and so forth.

When the two coincide, you get a remarkable overdose of the marketing tactics that both industries use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mByznNYCWTY

This is both the average Star Wars fan and the average video gamer. A man in his 30s that is tired of his current life and longs for the past and the escapist fantasies he had there.

sounds like the mcu to me

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gonz posted:

drat, I could have sworn there were more Jedi than the 10,000 the internet says there were prior to Order 66. Huh.

At least 100 of those were secret apprentices of Darth Vader though

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The way Star Wars fans are described in this thread makes me think that they give off a magnificent light when you burn them, on account of all the straw they are made of.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

The way Star Wars fans are described in this thread makes me think that they give off a magnificent light when you burn them

Maybe you're thinking of Force Sensitive Trees? I'm sure they light up real nice when you burn them.

Ha ha just kidding, I made that up

No wait I didn't
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-sensitive_tree

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But any weapon that can parry lightsabers is still gonna be useless unless you have the superhuman fencing skills to actually duel with a Jedi Knight. A trained Jedi Knight, not a complete novice like Finn. :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Force Sensitive Trees? I'm sure they light up real nice when you burn them.

Ha ha just kidding, I made that up

No wait I didn't
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-sensitive_tree

Great, not only does every background character get their own back story, we are down to the shrubbery now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Great, not only does every background character get their own back story, we are down to the shrubbery now.

Note that the Force Sensitive Tree is from the Clone Wars cartoon (and Poe Dameron's family backstory) so that's not some random EU bullshit from an obscure old novel, that's part of the current canon.

• Locked thread