Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'm not sure if anyone ever played long enough to find out if it was :godwin: or not but I haven't heard so particularly. It was just plain atrocious. There's a quick explanation in the OP, I think. Or there was in the last one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

We do have screenshots in the OP.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Cabinda has two provinces. Why......

I mean, obviously there's a lot worse here, but that seems to be the simplest and key understanding to what went horribly wrong with the whole province thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can't really blame them for the provinces, they were only trying to stay competitive with the count compared to HOI3.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also I'm pretty sure that's just the exact province map from Victoria 1 only in HOI for some reason.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Come. Let us seat the democracy.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
HoI 4 supply DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-33rd-development-diary-supply.891122/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I like error dog.

Also it's a funny sort of game when supply systems are a sexy DD topic.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I used Arcade mode :colbert:

It was the only way to keep the supply system going. Beyond a certain point it would glitch hardcore, recall all supply from the network back to the capital for one day, then realize no one is getting any supplies the next day and dump it all back into the network. This repeated over and over again until all your units were at 0% supplies and were overrun by the enemy.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
That's a very bold step you are taking there. On the whole it seems a positive step forward, nice to see you addressing stockpile concerns in particular.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like this a lot. It brings the supply system back into line with the player being involved in strategic/theatre level decisions and not having to fuss over which road my ammo trucks are rolling down.

Obvious question: what's the Overlord tie-in? Do we get to build Mulberry harbours? Does the US get a nice 'just land it on the beaches' doctrine bonus to amphibious supply?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This looks fantastic. I lost my poo poo every time I was successfully supplying my Japanese troops that were navally invading India via ports, but then when a land connection was established from my invasion beachheads to China/Siam/Burma the supply AI would stop sending supplies to the big ports in india and instead insist on driving supplies overland from China.

What I'm saying is that I hope that issue from HoI3 is fixed with this, too.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
I made the mistake of reading the comments after the dev diary. A lot of people just cannot accept that it is a game and not a simulation. They are super upset that oil, fuel and ammo are not all separately tracked.

Me, I love what I'm seeing. I haven't played HoI3, but the supply stockpiling and fiddly micromanagement looks god awful in comparison.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 13, 2015

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
HOI3s supply system tries to be a middle ground between simulation and game, and like many things in HOI3 falls flat on it's face. It tracks and simulates things in high detail, then doesn't give you the tools to manage it at all, because it's trying to be a game, not WitP. The result is retarded situations like the above, or all your convoys routing to Murmansk past the entire Kreigsmarine as the USSR, rather than sailing to Vladivostok, and there is nothing you can do but simmer in impotent rage.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
One thing I wasn't clear on from the diary - will the new supply system allow for things like starvation of the UK or the Japanese home islands through convoy raiding?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just being able to point at a province and instantly find out how many divisions you can put there without problems will put this game massive ahead of HoI3.

I think the "oil is only used to make new tanks, not run them, but you're going to constantly need new tanks thanks to attrition" system will work fine for infantry, tanks and planes (since you'll notice very quickly if Germany stops being able to make new tanks as their numbers drop off) but it's going to be weird if Japan can run the Yamato around all day without any sources of oil.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I was thinking that myself, but I suspect what will happen is Yamato will consume naval equipment of some sort or other/and or repairing her will take equipment, which requires oil. SO you could probably use her as an imperial yacht to your hearts content but can't really fight her without access to oil.

Also, weren't we supposed to hear about the beta today? Anyone been told to gently caress off or accepted yet?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gort posted:

Just being able to point at a province and instantly find out how many divisions you can put there without problems will put this game massive ahead of HoI3.

I think the "oil is only used to make new tanks, not run them, but you're going to constantly need new tanks thanks to attrition" system will work fine for infantry, tanks and planes (since you'll notice very quickly if Germany stops being able to make new tanks as their numbers drop off) but it's going to be weird if Japan can run the Yamato around all day without any sources of oil.
I took the whole making and supplying tools terminology as you are manufacturing a generic industrial widget made of everything including fuel, that turns into gasoline when presented with a tank or boat, or turns into a lovely ration and a bucket of bullets in front of a man.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

Pharnakes posted:

I was thinking that myself, but I suspect what will happen is Yamato will consume naval equipment of some sort or other/and or repairing her will take equipment, which requires oil. SO you could probably use her as an imperial yacht to your hearts content but can't really fight her without access to oil.

From Podcat on the subject:

Podcat posted:

yes this is a downside from a pure simulation perspective in that they can be more active. its also a buff to fun since you dont have to stick them in a port the whoel game. They still have the same issues as historical though: A desperate need for oil to replace lost ships and build a big enough navy to fight USA (USA can affort do lose ships, japan really can't since they take so long to build).

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
When Paradox announced their new buff to fun they tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I knew this game was only appealing to filthy casuals who want to actually be able to use the things they have built in the game instead of micromanaging how many litres of fuel Yamato gets each hour.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Will Italian units require extra supply, to simulate their love of pasta and the strain that puts on supply lines?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I wonder what happens when supply is inadequate in general but not cut off entirely? Do units all just operate at evenly reduced efficiency?

Overall supply provision was an important factor in the war. US and British soldiers were often provided in excess of 5,000 calories a day, with German soldiers netting 3000-4000, Japanese soldiers 1800 (lol wat), although after 1942 most Japanese land campaigns occurred in a context of complete supply blockade, so calories per day were 0. Soviet soldiers also often operated under similarly extreme calorie restrictions.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Will Italian units require extra supply, to simulate their love of pasta and the strain that puts on supply lines?
Well, their trains do run on time...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bort Bortles posted:

Well, their trains do run on time...
That's a myth. Italian trains have never run on time. Pasta-induced supply troubles is not though.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

Baus is boss.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You'll have to wait for the Minderbinder Supply mod. Beyond tracking all the world'a consumer goods individually, 50% of all fuel consumption becomes earmarked for the transport of surplus Egyptian cotton.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Please tell me the dog commander popup in the bottom right will survive to release

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

At least keep in the game files.

Also that World Tension icon in the upper right corner looks awesome, though I wish it covered the whole globe at 100%.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's a myth. Italian trains have never run on time. Pasta-induced supply troubles is not though.

They ran on time once to impress foreign journalists. Once!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm looking forward to the civil war and coup diary next week. Call me crazy but I'm really more interested in politics than warfare in WWII games.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

YF-23 posted:

We do have screenshots in the OP.

I am going to play this game

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Paradox posted:

I unfortunately have some bad news for you all.

Selections are essentially done, but we can unfortunately NOT send out emails in the numbers we need to at this time. we expect to be able to do so again on Monday.

Just incase someone was waiting on tenterhooks for an email. I was waiting on tenterhooks for an email

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I have been waiting on tenterhooks for an email.

I appreciate the update.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The worst part is I know the odds are infinitesimally small but I still keep convincing myself "but maybe" and checking again anyway.

I wonder if there's a "no being smug about it on forums" clause in the agreement when people get in

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You're not even allowed to mention you're in the beta. If someone asks, you just lie and say no.

Anyone who violates this rule or the rule about telling people this you're out of the beta.

...gently caress

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

so does that mean that all emails aren't coming until monday, or just that the rejection emails are going out on monday

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You're not even allowed to mention you're in the beta. If someone asks, you just lie and say no.

Anyone who violates this rule or the rule about telling people this you're out of the beta.

...gently caress

The first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Beta testers are to be flown to Sweden, where they will partake in a violent and bloody ritual sacrifice to the Cenobites to create a pact that states if they break the NDA, Pinhead gets claim on your soul.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Should they throw their children or ineffective beta testers into a sinkhole to appease Satan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chief Savage Man posted:

Should they throw their children or ineffective beta testers into a sinkhole to appease Satan?

Give it a good tumble!