Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
No Siegfried until Iorveth is added please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Sharmat posted:

No Siegfried until Iorveth is added please.

Both need to be in Blood and Wine.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Both need to be in Blood and Wine.

As lovers.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I prefer to side with Olgierd, but it was kinda cool that the demon ("visitant"?) wasn't just a moustache-twirling cartoon villain. I loved the way he actually ends up honoring his contract with Geralt and just walks away with Olgierd's skull, whistling his own theme tune. The way he can give advice about Ciri was pretty cool too.

For some reason Gaunter also works as Geralt's wingman with Shani. He's a strange guy.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Once again I was stupid enough to go into the baron's kid quest with no Moon Dust and have no backup save to go get it. Yrden really doesn't get the job done against wraiths in groups with the amount of mobility those things force on you, which makes them one of the most infuriatingly unfair types of enemies I've seen in an action game in a good while to deal with en masse. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but it's one very long exercise in aggravation.

They're literally the only part of the game that gives me any serious trouble on a Death March playthrough.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I had to really get used to dodging their swings and then parrying the last one (I think, you can parry that, right?). Still very tough.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Really loving this game. This afteroon I went through finding all the Ursine Witcher gear in order. I'm up to Superior now but I've almost exhausted all of my money so it's time to get back to making some cash so I can afford the high tier stuff.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
There was a video posted in here a while back which used Geralt as an example of how a defined protagonist was better than a blank slate. I can't find it now, does anyone have the link?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Konsek posted:

There was a video posted in here a while back which used Geralt as an example of how a defined protagonist was better than a blank slate. I can't find it now, does anyone have the link?

Extra Credits did a couple good videos on Witcher 3 that might be what you're referring to

on how W3 is the best noir detective video game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIKbTiuJ9A

on the Yen/Triss romance choice and having a blank slate vs. pre-defined character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6PUReOuHVw

Latter half of the second vid I think is what you want

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 12, 2015

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Great, thank you, that's it. I hadn't seen the detective one so thanks for that too.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Is that the dude who did that insufferable "I'M A GAMER :smug:" video where he talked about how he's slaying monsters what are YOU doing with your life?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

The white hair is because Geralt was uniquely able to tolerate mutagens and received extra hardcore mutations in the Trial of the Grasses. Vesemir has gray hair but is older than Geralt.

I haven't read the books but my take from playing all three games is that Geralt is kind of emotionally immature and probably doesn't like to be considered old even though he's pushing a century. He's a jaded old professional witch hunter but kind of terrible at relationships and emotional connection.

I absolutely love all the Witchers as characters, for just that reason. Everybody *knows* that witchers are emotional cripples, and all of our very emotional witchers just use that as an excuse to never actual process anything that they're feeling. They'll lash out, be reckless and adolescent, and then get massively defensive and make excuses about being emotionless mutants.

Also, because I never forgo an excuse to point out how fantastically bitchy (and yet entirely justified) Yennefer is:

(for context: Geralt has been struggling to deal with teenage-Ciri's blossoming Source-magic, and when Triss is unable to help, has to turn to Yen)

"Blood of Elves posted:

The witcher swore quietly, looking at the sharp, angular, even runes drawn with energetic sweeps of the pen, faultlessly reflecting the author’s mood. He felt once again the desire to try to bite his own backside in fury. When he was writing to the sorceress a month ago he had spent two nights in a row contemplating how best to begin. Finally, he had decided on “Dear friend.” Now he had his just deserts.

Dear friend, your unexpected letter – which I received not quite three years after we last saw each other – has given me much joy. My joy is all the greater as various rumours have been circulating about your sudden and violent death. It is a good thing that you have decided to disclaim them by writing to me; it is a good thing, too, that you are doing so so soon. From your letter it appears that you have lived a peaceful, wonderfully boring life, devoid of all sensation. These days such a life is a real privilege, dear friend, and I am happy that you have managed to achieve it.

I was touched by the sudden concern which you deigned to show as to my health, dear friend. I hasten with the news that, yes, I now feel well; the period of indisposition is behind me, I have dealt with the difficulties, the description of which I shall not bore you with. It worries and troubles me very much that the unexpected present you received from Fate brings you worries. Your supposition that this requires professional help is absolutely correct. Although your description of the difficulty – quite understandably – is enigmatic, I am sure I know the Source of the problem. And I agree with your opinion that the help of yet another magician is absolutely necessary. I feel honoured to be the second to whom you turn. What have I done to deserve to be so high on your list?

Rest assured, my dear friend; and if you had the intention of supplicating the help of additional magicians, abandon it because there is no need. I leave without delay, and go to the place which you indicated in an oblique yet, to me, understandable way. It goes without saying that I leave in absolute secrecy and with great caution. I will surmise the nature of the trouble on the spot and will do all that is in my power to calm the gushing source. I shall try, in so doing, not to appear any worse than other ladies to whom you have turned, are turning or usually turn with your supplications. I am, after all, your dear friend. Your valuable friendship is too important to me to disappoint you, dear friend.

Should you, in the next few years, wish to write to me, do not hesitate for a moment. Your letters invariably give me boundless pleasure.

Your friend Yennefer

:allears:

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 12, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I loving love Yen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I wanted to say it but didn't

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

And I loving love Sapkowski for building all those characters like that. He's as good with his other saga as he was with The Witcher but I must say I miss Geralt as the protagonist - the guy in Narrenturm (which is German for "Tower of Fools") is a loving idiot and shown over and over again as a young romantic imbecile and I can't stop cringing at his stupidity. It seems he's written specifically like that in order to build his character arch as he's slowly learning from his mistakes but drat I miss a competent protagonist.

Basically imagine a series where Dandelion is the main character but with no Geralt to save his rear end (although he gets his rear end saved quite often anyways).

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 12, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gort posted:

Maybe he was made a witcher later in life? I don't know his backstory. Or maybe witchers age really slowly but he's just so goddamn old it actually shows on him anyway.

Witcher do age slower which is why none have lived to die of old age. When you are capable of working for centuries in the profession, where a single mistake can kill you, the odds are really stacked against you.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Konsek posted:

I'd like to see this too if anyone has it. My biggest complaint about CRPGs is character creation and all the compromises in terms of story and relationships that go with it. The great thing about Geralt is that he has all these friends and enemies and comrades and rivals and a whole weird Witcher family to go along with his insane Sorceress girlfriends. He has his own way of talking and thinking. The player still gets to define his basic outlook and motivation but its much easier for the story to adapt to these choices and create believable outcomes because the core of the character exists without any reliance on some idiot good/evil axis.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
On the books, the Butcher of Blavikan incident didn't go like I thought I knew it involved Geralt killing a bunch of folks (duh) but the way it happened was surprising. It built a showdown between Geralt and a gang of dangerous killers, so I expected a drawn-out tough fight, but nope. Geralt just mows through them while they freak out.

I like how the writer does action, reminds me of Joe Abercrombie (who has his faults but he can write those fight scenes).

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

GOOCHY posted:

Really loving this game. This afteroon I went through finding all the Ursine Witcher gear in order. I'm up to Superior now but I've almost exhausted all of my money so it's time to get back to making some cash so I can afford the high tier stuff.

Me too, I've completed the first few quests of Act 4 and am using the "final preparations" excuse to traipse around doing stuff I didn't do before hand. There's a part of me that feels lovely when I ignore the main quest to gently caress around, and Witcher 3 has mostly provided me opportunities to do that without the weird disconnect of "a world-ending threat is approaching any second!" and "but I'd like to help these random farmers".

Woozy posted:

I'd like to see this too if anyone has it. My biggest complaint about CRPGs is character creation and all the compromises in terms of story and relationships that go with it. The great thing about Geralt is that he has all these friends and enemies and comrades and rivals and a whole weird Witcher family to go along with his insane Sorceress girlfriends. He has his own way of talking and thinking. The player still gets to define his basic outlook and motivation but its much easier for the story to adapt to these choices and create believable outcomes because the core of the character exists without any reliance on some idiot good/evil axis.

I definitely agree, and feel like Witcher 3 has ruined me for 'true' open world Bethesda RPGs. I say this as someone who thought Witcher 1 was awful just from watching a lets play, and gave up on W2 like 10 hours in. Witcher 3 is, easily, the best video game I've ever played.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
My exact thoughts: "gently caress off, Lambert."
Actual conversation option: "gently caress off, Lambert."

Game of the decade.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
This might the video that was requested. It's an Extra Credits feature discussing the romance subplots in TW3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6PUReOuHVw

EDIT: Oops! Extra Credits, not Lives.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 13, 2015

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

on how W3 is the best noir detective video game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkIKbTiuJ9A

Wow, this video is amazing and spot on. Really enjoyed.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Terrible Horse posted:

Me too, I've completed the first few quests of Act 4 and am using the "final preparations" excuse to traipse around doing stuff I didn't do before hand. There's a part of me that feels lovely when I ignore the main quest to gently caress around, and Witcher 3 has mostly provided me opportunities to do that without the weird disconnect of "a world-ending threat is approaching any second!" and "but I'd like to help these random farmers".

I know it's something that absolutely no one should care about, but this is actually one of my main problems with the game. There really is no good moment in the plot where I feel justified in doing non-vital stuff like traipsing and sailing around Skellige doing side quests, visiting the Nilfgaardian army camp, helping out Keira after she points me to the bog, or doing the Hearts of Stone expansion. It's always "Go go go time is short you gotta do this ASAP!" :spergin:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I know it's something that absolutely no one should care about, but this is actually one of my main problems with the game. There really is no good moment in the plot where I feel justified in doing non-vital stuff like traipsing and sailing around Skellige doing side quests, visiting the Nilfgaardian army camp, helping out Keira after she points me to the bog, or doing the Hearts of Stone expansion. It's always "Go go go time is short you gotta do this ASAP!" :spergin:
Nah, once you find out where Ciri is and that she's almost certainly safe from the Hunt there, but that as soon as you go to her the Hunt will be on her trail, you get a great excuse to poke around making sure that everything is prepared for that incoming fight. Its where you justify Geralt going around earning cash and exploring and all that. Its not the best justification (Morrowind's Casius telling you to go gently caress around for a while because you'll get pasted if you try to do anything about the plot now was clearer) but it works. Its definitely something plot-heavy open-world games need though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Meta-Mollusk posted:

The only reason it kind of bothers me in this game is because I actually got way more invested in the characters than other RPGs. In FF7 or something it's just "Sure yeah Meteor hits in 7 days but gently caress that, I'm breeding chocobos". First time I played this game though and found out where Ciri was? No, gently caress it, I'm dropping everything.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Dear Friend"

:allears:
I desperately need to hear this part voice acted by Yen's VA doing her absolute bitchiest voice. Also fun fact: read Yennefer's letter in Geralt's inventory in the prologue. It opens with "Dear Friend".

Ravenfood posted:

Nah, once you find out where Ciri is and that she's almost certainly safe from the Hunt there, but that as soon as you go to her the Hunt will be on her trail, you get a great excuse to poke around making sure that everything is prepared for that incoming fight. Its where you justify Geralt going around earning cash and exploring and all that. Its not the best justification (Morrowind's Casius telling you to go gently caress around for a while because you'll get pasted if you try to do anything about the plot now was clearer) but it works. Its definitely something plot-heavy open-world games need though.
That's very far in the game though.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I thought the Red Baron quest was so long that I had no trouble clearing out virtually all of the Velen side quests and contracts. There are still a few scattered question marks, but I got the trophy for completing every contract. Ciri was such a mystery that early in the game that I didn't feel too much pressure to power through the main quest.

The way exp scales, though, I think I would have ended up at level 35 regardless. There were a few story missions toward the end that hardly have me any exp because I was more than five levels above the recommendation.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah the main quest stuff gives way more XP than side quests.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

The Sharmat posted:

I desperately need to hear this part voice acted by Yen's VA doing her absolute bitchiest voice. Also fun fact: read Yennefer's letter in Geralt's inventory in the prologue. It opens with "Dear Friend".

I remember there being discussion shortly after launch about why Yennefer would wait so long to contact Geralt, when she'd regained her memory almost immediately after being released from the Wild Hunt. I love that the actual answer is "Payback"!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think the actual answer is that she was in a prison cell until maybe a month ago max. So the question is more "Why didn't she contact Geralt immediately". And the answer is "She was weirded the gently caress out when she found out he was last seen with Triss (presumably from Fringilla Vigo)". But the game timeline is really weird. I mean what was Geralt doing for six months? Either his route looking for Yen was incredibly circuitous, it took him 6 months to move 80 miles, or he just spent the whole time not looking and playing dice poker.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

or he just spent the whole time not looking and playing dice poker.

And losing all the money he gained on the contract he did a few days prior.

gently caress dice poker.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm just at the beginning (level 4 or 5 I think) and mainly invested my points in Axii and Quen so far. Anything I need to know, any builds that can gimp my character or can I do whatever?

Also, should I sell anything besides weapons/armor? I'm currently hoarding the poo poo out of everything.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 13, 2015

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

I think the actual answer is that she was in a prison cell until maybe a month ago max. So the question is more "Why didn't she contact Geralt immediately". And the answer is "She was weirded the gently caress out when she found out he was last seen with Triss (presumably from Fringilla Vigo)". But the game timeline is really weird. I mean what was Geralt doing for six months? Either his route looking for Yen was incredibly circuitous, it took him 6 months to move 80 miles, or he just spent the whole time not looking and playing dice poker.

There was the largest war the continent has even seen going on. That probably hampered Geralt a little.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The Sharmat posted:

I mean what was Geralt doing for six months?

Sidequests.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought those took place in a weird time vacuum? If they don't I'm gonna feel guilty for arm wrestling the Mighty Numa while Triss is getting tortured.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There was the largest war the continent has even seen going on. That probably hampered Geralt a little.

A similar war didn't delay him looking for Ciri to quite such a ludicrous extent in the books, and that was still loaded with obstacles. He seems to have never even managed to leave the banks of the Pontar for the entire 6 month gap. Unless Nilfgaard teleported both their armies in, it's a bit ridiculous. It was just an excuse to move things in the setting forward really and doesn't gel with the rest of the plot very well. The writing in the game is generally great but there's still some awkward parts. It's inevitable.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I guess they have to make a Witcher 2.5 mobile game to explain what happened.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Beeez posted:

I guess they have to make a Witcher 2.5 mobile game to explain what happened.

Shortly after the events of witcher 2, Geralt enters rehab for his dice poker addiction. The next 23 weeks are pretty tough for Geralt, as recovery from addiction is a process of self-discovery, and he's never really been the introspective type. Regardless, he pulls through, and at the end of the regime he foreswears ever touching dice again.

5 days later, at an inn in white orchard, a traveling scholar introduces him to Gwent.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 13, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Gaunter O'Dimm is at that very inn. I don't think this is a coincidence.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm just at the beginning (level 4 or 5 I think) and mainly invested my points in Axii and Quen so far. Anything I need to know, any builds that can gimp my character or can I do whatever?

Also, should I sell anything besides weapons/armor? I'm currently hoarding the poo poo out of everything.
You have to try really hard to gimp your character, so don't worry about that. The alternative modes for the Signs are real useful as they provide a little variety in how to use them - Yrden is a good example. The first level of Axii is good just for the dialogue options.

I would recommend grabbing a couple skills in the Light and Heavy Attacks as well. With Quen, you'll be tanking so hard you won't need much damage protection outside of it.

I used little-to-no potions, so I didn't put any skill points into that tree. I used my Sword and Signs, so those were my focus. The crossbow never becomes powerful, so I just ignored those skill points. It only really kills enemies underwater, but it can also knock flying enemies out of the sky, but I never found it worth investing into.

Just pay attention to your play style and upgrade skills accordingly. You can't really go wrong.

Feel free to hoard everything - potion ingredients weigh nothing, and you'll be able to store extra materials in your chest. I honestly used very few of the materials - the only things worth crafting are the Witcher gear sets. You can also sell extra books to the book salesman in Novigrad.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 13, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I actually don't like the Axii dialogue options. Usually it's just an "I win the conversation" button and it's very boring that way. Sometimes it makes you miss amusing things too, like Ciri threatening to horribly maim two of Whoreson Jr.'s guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I actually don't like the Axii dialogue options. Usually it's just an "I win the conversation" button and it's very boring that way. Sometimes it makes you miss amusing things too, like Ciri threatening to horribly maim two of Whoreson Jr.'s guards.

I liked the Axii option with the broken rose knights outside the fisstech lab in HoS. Geralt commands them to count to 100, and they do. If you wait around you get to see what happens when axii wears off (they are mad)