Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

Has anyone that ordered a 6P through Fi received it yet? Getting kind of pissed seeing all these people who ordered in the last few days getting their phones while my three week old order has been "processing" for a week.

Got mine yesterday, ordered Sept 29th.

It has been very needs-suiting. Network speed around Palo Alto has exceeded Verizon. 6P is a speedy beast.

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Want to pop in to say that I guess bitching in this thread worked, earlier tonight my order shipped. I paid for 2 day but I guess Saturday doesn't count so I'm getting it Monday.

Looking forward to see how often, if ever, I'm actually on Sprint's network compared to T-Mobile's. A buddy of mine used Sprint for years and he always complained about the lovely coverage here (Orlando) whereas T-Mobile has seldom disappointed me. Does Fi actually specify which network you're on or is it something you have to investigate?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
My Sim card is in the mail and should arrive about 4 days before the phone does.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Darkpriest667 posted:

My Sim card is in the mail and should arrive about 4 days before the phone does.

This seems really odd to me, mine arrived in the same box.

Humerus posted:

Does Fi actually specify which network you're on or is it something you have to investigate?

No, everything just says 'Fi Network'. There are third party network tools you can get off the play store to see what net you're actually on, though.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

mad.radhu posted:

No, everything just says 'Fi Network'. There are third party network tools you can get off the play store to see what net you're actually on, though.

It's easy to find ones that show the network, but I've noticed Google has started removing apps that actually let you change it. For that you'll need to hit up XDA and look for the latest apks, unfortunately.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

mad.radhu posted:

I ordered my phone from the actual google store and I had to order my sim card from fi.google.com. That's why they are coming separate.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
At risk of derailing into a Nexus discussion - though not entirely off topic since the last 3 are the only ones that work on Fi - the 6p is truly great. The only bummer for me was lack of wireless charging, since I had bought in to that since using the 5 and later the 6, but I can live without it.

Everything else about this phone is spot on. I am used to good fingerprint sensors from the iPhone but this one is even better; using it with Lastpass and autofill - the latter iOS can't do - is fantastic. Will never use a phone without a (good) one again - it is not the kind of lovely implementation Samsung used to have in case you wondered.

Phone is fast as hell, screen is phenomenal, and the camera is really good which I am not used to on Android. Also, battery life has been excellent so far as well. If you are on the fence, get it, it is night and day from the original 6.

Posting from it, in fact.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 7, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ixian posted:

At risk of derailing into a Nexus discussion - though not entirely off topic since the last 3 are the only ones that work on Fi - the 6p is truly great. The only bummer for me was lack of wireless charging, since I had bought in to that since using the 5 and later the 6, but I can live without it.

Everything else about this phone is spot on. I am used to good fingerprint sensors from the iPhone but this one is even better; using it with Lastpass and autofill - the latter iOS can't do - is fantastic. Will never use a phone without a (good) one again - it is not the kind of lovely implementation Samsung used to have in case you wondered.

Phone is fast as hell, screen is phenomenal, and the camera is really good which I am not used to on Android. Also, battery life has been excellent so far as well. If you are on the fence, get it, it is night and day from the original 6.

Posting from it, in fact.

I'm excited to get mine and use FI.. The fact that it also uses Tmobile signals and whichever is stronger makes me think Tmo will be what it's using a lot of the time. My students with T mo get 3 bars in my room and I can't even get phone service with Sprint.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

My understanding is that it only decides which one is stronger initially, and doesn't switch unless it loses connection. So you would be on T-Mobile in your room with no Sprint, but you wouldn't switch to Sprint just because it is stronger unless you lose Sprint.

Or is this not the case?

At least this was my understanding why there are apps to check which network you are on / force a switch.

I have my 6P and Fi sim, just waiting for my last month of T-Mobile prepay to end.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Sub Rosa posted:

My understanding is that it only decides which one is stronger initially, and doesn't switch unless it loses connection. So you would be on T-Mobile in your room with no Sprint, but you wouldn't switch to Sprint just because it is stronger unless you lose Sprint.

Or is this not the case?

At least this was my understanding why there are apps to check which network you are on / force a switch.

I have my 6P and Fi sim, just waiting for my last month of T-Mobile prepay to end.

I'm not quite sure it hasn't been clearly stated enough for me. I do know I am paying my ETF with sprint to get out.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Crossposting from the Android thread, I finally got my 6p (two weeks faster than they said), and I love it in almost every way. The thing is too goddamned big! Yeah I know, my own fault. I have long fingers so I figured it would be OK, but I can't hold the phone with one hand and use my thumb to swype because I can't reach across the entire screen. That and the fact that because it's so big I never feel like I'm holding it safely means I should probably "downgrade" to a 5x. I bought this one with Fi on 0% financing, I wonder if they'll let me exchange for a 5x and continue the financing? Part of me doesn't want to "downgrade" though. Where can I find how many days I have to get used to this phone before I have a shot at swapping it?

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread, I finally got my 6p (two weeks faster than they said), and I love it in almost every way. The thing is too goddamned big! Yeah I know, my own fault. I have long fingers so I figured it would be OK, but I can't hold the phone with one hand and use my thumb to swype because I can't reach across the entire screen. That and the fact that because it's so big I never feel like I'm holding it safely means I should probably "downgrade" to a 5x. I bought this one with Fi on 0% financing, I wonder if they'll let me exchange for a 5x and continue the financing? Part of me doesn't want to "downgrade" though. Where can I find how many days I have to get used to this phone before I have a shot at swapping it?

Go to http://fi.google.com and click support and chat to a support person.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Darkpriest667 posted:

Go to http://fi.google.com and click support and chat to a support person.

Turns out they don't do exchanges. I'd have to return this phone within the 15 day window and just order a separate 5x. Well, I have 14 more days to see how it is.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Fhqwhgads posted:

Keep in mind - you probably know this - the 5x isn't just a smaller version of the 6p. Coming from LG, it's very different in some ways - most reports say battery life kind of sucks and the camera isn't nearly as good.

If you want a smaller phone and Fi it's about your only option right now but think about it first, you are trading off more than the size.

Personally, I would take the time to get used to the 6p/size, I have an iPhone 6 (work) and the 6p is my personal phone, and while the iPhone is much easier to hold I prefer the 6p day to day - and not just because of Android vs. iOS. The bigger screen, once you get used to handling it, really does pay off. And the screen on the 6p is about as good as they get.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Darkpriest667 posted:

I'm not quite sure it hasn't been clearly stated enough for me. I do know I am paying my ETF with sprint to get out.

I don't know what the cutoff is, so to speak, but I do know normally as long as the signal is "good enough" it will stay on the same network. There is an internal signal strength measurement - that has nothing to do, really, with the number of bars you see - Google uses to determine when to switch, among other factors.

In fact this pretty much is the definition of what Fi is :) Whether it makes the right judgement call for your situation all the time is going to be a trial and error thing; from what I understand it is something they are constantly tweaking based on anonymous signal data they get from your phone.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Update, my 6P shipped today instead of a week from today. Fedex says it should be in my hands by Tuesday night.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Just got my 6P, set up Project Fi and everything seems to be going smoothly. I did notice though when I go to send an SMS, it gives options: "Mobile (via SMS)" or "Mobile (via Project Fi)".

What's the difference?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If I were to guess, "via Project Fi" sounds like via Hangouts, are they substituting that for SMS over WiFi?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
For anyone that was waiting, I had an original ship date of Dec 3-6th for my 6P- it shipped yesterday and was upgraded to overnight shipping so it should be waiting at home for me now. So they're turning these things around pretty quickly.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Humerus posted:

Just got my 6P, set up Project Fi and everything seems to be going smoothly. I did notice though when I go to send an SMS, it gives options: "Mobile (via SMS)" or "Mobile (via Project Fi)".

What's the difference?

It means they include WiFi, basically - works best with Hangouts (might *only* work with Hangouts and Google Messenger, haven't tried). It's their attempt at iMessage, basically.

If it does this it will send it via your Google account, which might make your name appear different on the other end - I've had a few people ask "who is this" when texting them for the first time on Fi. There's some setting that combines accounts (not the Hangouts one that merges VM, etc.) that I forget now but basically if you send via Fi you want to make sure it also sends your number along with it or things will look weird on the other end.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So ordered my phone yesterday with standard ground shipping and it looks like like they are sending it overnight for delivery tomorrow.

So that was awful nice of them.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Customer service is tops, my service is fantastic, and the Nexus 6P is a fantastic phone so far. I have no complaints. It's the honeymoon, but I'll keep checking in.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

For anyone that was waiting, I had an original ship date of Dec 3-6th for my 6P- it shipped yesterday and was upgraded to overnight shipping so it should be waiting at home for me now. So they're turning these things around pretty quickly.

Same here.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Just got the 6p in. I like that I can use it single handed, seems a step up from the 6.

I didn't get any earbuds with the phone though so I'll need to leave a bad review on YouTube.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I've been on Fi since August with my Nexus 6. I've had pretty good results, overall. Real early on they were having issues with switching networks but I haven't noticed a problem in over a month, easily. Customer service is great, both times I've had to speak with them they are fast and nice. It's also great to have everything tied to my Google account. Calling up and just giving my email address and they have all my info is just the best.

I did drop my Nexus 6 last week and the screen exploded cracked. I ordered a 5X as a replacement and got it yesterday, I'm liking it in general but I do miss some of the "premium" features of the Nexus 6.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Some redditors were discussing that Project Fi results in no data when using voice so I called Fi support and spoke with a guy called Kyle. Here is what he said (summarized):

If the local tower (Sprint or T-Mobile) doesn't support voice and data simultaneously right now, and you're not on WiFi, then this will be your experience too. You're going to get the experience that Sprint and T-Mobile customers get. If you have t-mobile or sprint now and can get simultaneous now, then it will be the same with Fi.

He added that in the last 3 months, I was the second person to ever ask this and then begged me to take a customer survey because feedback like mine is valuable.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 13, 2015

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I've discovered an issue. It's not unique to me so you might want to be aware of it. I am unable to get short codes on my 6P on Google Fi. I just got done talking to support for 25 minutes and it looks like it's being escalated. I read in several areas that it was eventually fixed but you have to really nag support. That seems like something that should have been thought of.

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005
Got a 6p last week and it had a dead pixel. I just got my replacement in mail. Anyone know what will happen if i don't return the USB cables with my old phone(keep both)?

Edit. nm, this is prob wrong thread. Just want to say google support was great took two days to get new phone.

Kiger_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 13, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So how do you send out new texts from Google Voice?

Edit: So I have to switch to Google Hangouts and it doesn't import the contacts from my phone and only allows contact with other people in Hangouts?

That's pretty lousy.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 13, 2015

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

So how do you send out new texts from Google Voice?

Edit: So I have to switch to Google Hangouts and it doesn't import the contacts from my phone and only allows contact with other people in Hangouts?

That's pretty lousy.

That's not how it works. I text my contacts all the time, just like a regular texting app. You have to make sure you have SMS set up in the Hangouts settings and that you select use SMS for texts (it defaults to your Google account).

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ixian posted:

That's not how it works. I text my contacts all the time, just like a regular texting app. You have to make sure you have SMS set up in the Hangouts settings and that you select use SMS for texts (it defaults to your Google account).

I mean more from using Google Voice from the browser.

I suppose I can try messaging people through hangouts and I guess maybe it goes through, although if i don't already have a conversation with them open it sends out a conversation invite?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

I mean more from using Google Voice from the browser.

I suppose I can try messaging people through hangouts and I guess maybe it goes through, although if i don't already have a conversation with them open it sends out a conversation invite?

I occasionally use Hangouts in a browser and it's pretty much like iMessage - you can use SMS, etc. as well. And all my contacts are synced. I am not sure how you were using things in GV (I had GV as well, all the way back to GrandCentral days, but never really used the browser app) but it sounds like something isn't configured right on your end.

If you have Fi have you tried their support? They are actually quite good.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Ixian posted:

I occasionally use Hangouts in a browser and it's pretty much like iMessage - you can use SMS, etc. as well. And all my contacts are synced. I am not sure how you were using things in GV (I had GV as well, all the way back to GrandCentral days, but never really used the browser app) but it sounds like something isn't configured right on your end.

If you have Fi have you tried their support? They are actually quite good.

Maybe will give it a shot when I get home. So far the messages only go to a persons Hangouts account, when I'd rather just send an SMS.

I can send SMS but I then have to type out the full number to do so. I just activated it so maybe there is a learning curve, but I think I'm going to miss Voice.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does the nexus 6p have an sd slot so I can expand my storage space?

Also will google help get me out of my contract early with another carrier?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

No and no.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

CURSES!!! Oh well looks like I'm waiting till march to get on the google fi train.

Mokhu
Mar 3, 2004

NCAA Hopesman Winner 2008
Fallen Rib

Gravel Gravy posted:

So ordered my phone yesterday with standard ground shipping and it looks like like they are sending it overnight for delivery tomorrow.

So that was awful nice of them.

Did you order this off of the google store?

I ordered mine last Tuesday and it's telling me the estimated shipping is the end of December, I'm not sure how you guys are getting it so quick!

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Knifegrab posted:

No and yes.... I mean they cancelled my contract and I had another 8 months. My ETF will be 100 bucks but Sprint seems to not be charging me yet.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mokhu posted:

Did you order this off of the google store?

I ordered mine last Tuesday and it's telling me the estimated shipping is the end of December, I'm not sure how you guys are getting it so quick!

Yeah the Google store.

I ordered the White 64 gig model because it said it'd be out of the warehouse by today at the least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The 6p is nice but it's heavy. I also wince every time I put it on the table... It just feels like the glass is gonna break. Looking forward to getting my case next week.

Also, service is great for me. I'm in southern California and I'm either in lte or hspa all the time. I haven't yet encountered any of the public WiFi spots..is there a list/coverage map of them?