Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's pretty cool. I didn't see any on my first playthrough but do you know if you guys snuck in any instances where Axii just doesn't work and Geralt gets screwed for it like in TW2 with Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen or the Golem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Axii checks in the expansion seem a bit more important than in the main game as usually not being able to trigger them ends in a fight and in the main game there is usually a way to avoid combat using other dialogue options.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Sharmat posted:

That's pretty cool. I didn't see any on my first playthrough but do you know if you guys snuck in any instances where Axii just doesn't work and Geralt gets screwed for it like in TW2 with Shilard Fitz-Oesterlen or the Golem?

There are a bunch where it works on one person and then the crowd all around them goes 'wait, what? witchcraft!' and turns hostile.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

John Charity Spring posted:

There are a bunch where it works on one person and then the crowd all around them goes 'wait, what? witchcraft!' and turns hostile.

It's a little inconsistant, though, there are places where Geralt can axii whole groups, but other times he can't. I think it more or less corresponds to how difficult the axii check is, but I bet it's still not consistent.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Palpek posted:

The Axii checks in the expansion seem a bit more important than in the main game as usually not being able to trigger them ends in a fight and in the main game there is usually a way to avoid combat using other dialogue options.

There are certain times that you can only obtain information through Axii, though. Like with the brothel owner.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's a little inconsistant, though, there are places where Geralt can axii whole groups, but other times he can't. I think it more or less corresponds to how difficult the axii check is, but I bet it's still not consistent.

It'd be inconsistent with the books either way. Best Book-Geralt could manage with Axii was just dulling someone's senses or calming them down a lot.. I guess you could sort of stretch it to work kinda like sodium pentathol too, and not explicitly contradict how it's presentedin them. But it's not like force persuade or mind control or whatever. But hey, gameplay concessions.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I really hope that O'Dimm being at that inn was intentional all along it wasn't just them using a unique character model that doesn't appear in the game again for HoS.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm just at the beginning (level 4 or 5 I think) and mainly invested my points in Axii and Quen so far. Anything I need to know, any builds that can gimp my character or can I do whatever?

Yes, Quen is for cowards. :colbert:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
O'Dimm is definitely intentional, since he tells you his name and that he's Master Mirror or the Man of Glass and has exactly the same personality as he does in Hearts of Stone. Even foreshadows meeting Geralt again.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah that's true. I hadn't noticed any particular correspondence to the level of difficulty - I can think of some that fail at level 1 and level 2/3 (at least one in White Orchard, a couple in Novigrad) - but you may be right there. I mean, you're the developer.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

John Charity Spring posted:

O'Dimm is definitely intentional, since he tells you his name and that he's Master Mirror or the Man of Glass and has exactly the same personality as he does in Hearts of Stone. Even foreshadows meeting Geralt again.

You know, I actually looked up the video of the encounter because I could have sworn he didn't say anything about being "Master Mirror" in the first encounter. Yet, he does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYFpPpFcCQ

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

JetsGuy posted:

You know, I actually looked up the video of the encounter because I could have sworn he didn't say anything about being "Master Mirror" in the first encounter. Yet, he does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfYFpPpFcCQ

Also he disappears as as soon as he walks past Geralt but you continue to hear his voice which is a cool detail.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm just at the beginning (level 4 or 5 I think) and mainly invested my points in Axii and Quen so far. Anything I need to know, any builds that can gimp my character or can I do whatever?

Also, should I sell anything besides weapons/armor? I'm currently hoarding the poo poo out of everything.

As said it's hard to gently caress up your build don't worry too much. There are infinite respecs available later on.

There's no real point in hoarding most things. Loot is all random and scaled to your present level, and there are simply a HUGE number of containers in peasant huts to loot if you wanted. So you're not missing anything by selling most of your stuff and you don't need to loot every container. Check chests for cool stuff, if you want crafting materials check around but your'e not going to miss out on unique stuff.

Crafting materials - gems, gem powder, metals, and ores are usually the most expensive materials so good to hang onto them. The highest tier craftable stuff is bottlenecked by Dimeritium Ingots so materials for those are particularly valuable. Monster parts and alchemy ingredients you can safely sell off down to a stack of 3-5 or so. It's cheap and easy to buy most flowers so you don't need to pick them all, you only need a few monster parts.

Gear - mostly just sell it unless it's an upgrade, the craftable Witcher Gear sets are usually by far the best option though. So most of the game you'll sell the magic weapons and armor you find for cash instead of wearing it.

Really it's just the expensive crafting materials worth hoarding, and alcohol for White Gull.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I just bought this game for the PS4. It was this or Fallout 4 but I've decided to get F4 on the PC later, if they patch it. I've never played any of the Witcher games, anyone have any good tips for playing for the first time other than the above post (which is good btw, thanks)?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

- Go to beforeiplay.com and search for Witcher Wild Hunt.

- Buy all gwent cards from merchants as soon as you can if you care about it, especially the first innkeeper at White Orchard. Might wanna check guides for permanently missable cards.

- Check out this post:

Crows Turn Off posted:

You have to try really hard to gimp your character, so don't worry about that. The alternative modes for the Signs are real useful as they provide a little variety in how to use them - Yrden is a good example. The first level of Axii is good just for the dialogue options.

I would recommend grabbing a couple skills in the Light and Heavy Attacks as well. With Quen, you'll be tanking so hard you won't need much damage protection outside of it.

I used little-to-no potions, so I didn't put any skill points into that tree. I used my Sword and Signs, so those were my focus. The crossbow never becomes powerful, so I just ignored those skill points. It only really kills enemies underwater, but it can also knock flying enemies out of the sky, but I never found it worth investing into.

Just pay attention to your play style and upgrade skills accordingly. You can't really go wrong.

Feel free to hoard everything - potion ingredients weigh nothing, and you'll be able to store extra materials in your chest. I honestly used very few of the materials - the only things worth crafting are the Witcher gear sets. You can also sell extra books to the book salesman in Novigrad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I just bought this game for the PS4. It was this or Fallout 4 but I've decided to get F4 on the PC later, if they patch it. I've never played any of the Witcher games, anyone have any good tips for playing for the first time other than the above post (which is good btw, thanks)?

Witcher 3 is sort of the opposite of typical Bethesda open-world RPGs (I haven't played any F4 so can't compare the two directly). It's huge, but it's also very "deep" in the sense that every simple side quest is fully voiced, well-written, and engaging. Leveling up or getting cool new loot is not much of a reward in this game and if you do quests hoping to get rewarded with sweet magic swords and character powerups that really doesn't happen. Above all, Witcher 3 is fantastic at storytelling.

General starting tips:
-Like my previous post mentioned it's hard to gently caress up builds don't sweat it. If playing on one of the two hardest difficulties where you don't regen health on resting, I recommend the Sun and Stars generic ability to give you some passive healing. Don't forget to equip your abilities in open slots or they don't do anything.
-Don't feel the need to search every peasant hut and loot every container. Loot is random and level-based, you're not missing any unique hidden items. Similarly, sell off most everything but expensive crafting materials.
-Combat requires a lot of mobility, always be rolling or dodging. Witchers are all about fighting dirty, pay attention to the different tools the White Orchard tutorial zone walks you through. Use signs, potions, bombs, oils, everything. IMPORTANT NOTE: all your consumable alchemy stuff completely refills/recharges at the cost of one hard alcohol (for everything) on meditating. So you only need to craft the "container" alchemy item once and then you never need to re-craft it. No sense in trying to conserve alchemy items, cheap infinite refills.
-To go with the above, different monsters will have specific tactics and weapons they are weak to. Consult your bestiary.
-Don't feel the need to explore every ? on the map you can always come back. A lot of them are just monsters, maybe a little story, and random loot. Bandit Camps, Smuggler Caches, Hidden Treasure, Monster Nests, etc.
-There is way more XP available in the game (especially in the main quest) than you need to advance. This means you won't be able to complete all your available quests before some go gray and are only worth token XP. Remember this is ok, because XP and level progression is actually not a big deal. Do quests because they seem interesting to you and enjoy the experience, don't freak out trying to min/max your XP by doing all your lowest-level quests first. You'll hit max level, don't worry.
-Following from the above there are very few ways to lock yourself out of quests or fail them. There is one significant main plot point which will close off some quest chains but there's a very obvious warning about it.
-Geralt is a well established character with two long-term love interests you can choose between. You'll probably meet Triss long before spending significant time with Yennefer if you're following the obvious zone progression, imo it's worth it to go to Skellige when you can afford it and start poking around there and meet up with her. It's easy for a lot of new players to commit to Triss because she's the first option you get, locking you out of romancing Yen. In general a good idea to consult your glossary for a little bit of character background.

and the most important thing

-If you skip dialogue you are a terrible person. The writing, voice-acting, atmosphere, and animation in this game are absolutely the best I've ever experienced. Play it for the storytelling and RP elements. Explore all the gray conversation options, they're just flavor but it's all fully voiced and animated good flavor and often gives hints or useful information. Seriously you'll miss out on so many little amazing moments if you rush through dialogue.

Edit: I think it's the best "open world RPG" ever made. It does exactly that really well, just do what seems fun to you and enjoy the storytelling.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 13, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Pellisworth posted:

Explore all the gray conversation options, they're just flavor but it's all fully voiced and animated good flavor and often gives hints or useful information. Seriously you'll miss out on so many little amazing moments if you rush through dialogue.

IIRC this is not always true, though the game telegraphs pretty heavily when there's a pressure on you to focus on the goal rather than pump the person for information.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Slashrat posted:

IIRC this is not always true, though the game telegraphs pretty heavily when there's a pressure on you to focus on the goal rather than pump the person for information.

Could be I dunno. You have the gold options which are actual choices, and white options which are sort of "extra info."

I guess my main point is in a lot of RPGs we've been conditioned to ignore that non-essential fluff dialogue but in W3 it is usually cool and interesting.

Edit: oh yeah and Gwent is entirely skippable if you want but a pretty decent mini-game. If you want to get into Gwent it's easiest to just buy every card you find in a merchant's inventory and play each merchant you come across. Save you some headache tracking down cards later.

Same for fist-fighting and horse-racing, you're not really missing out much by skipping them if you like.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 13, 2015

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Pellisworth posted:

-If you skip dialogue you are a terrible person. The writing, voice-acting, atmosphere, and animation in this game are absolutely the best I've ever experienced. Play it for the storytelling and RP elements. Explore all the gray conversation options, they're just flavor but it's all fully voiced and animated good flavor and often gives hints or useful information. Seriously you'll miss out on so many little amazing moments if you rush through dialogue.

This is not true and not fair to use as a blanket statement some people simply DONT GIVE A gently caress what anyone thinks and give no shits about the story. I play the game to kill monsters and watch heads splatter on the ground. I skip dialogu and spam E on notice boards and dont read anything and im enjoying the game just as much as you did. I actually hate dialogue/stories in video games, give me a book or something for a real story, I just cant care about the story. Especially in novigrad, loving dandelions quest which takes like 2-3 hours to get through is a loving slog and the dialogue is terrible.

go watch the play in novigrad and tell me how good the dialogue and voice acting etc, is, yeah they are takign the piss somewhat, but its so awkward and lovely. A lot of it is lovely and awkward. Love the gam but that is not a high water mark. Geralt is good pretty much consistently but a lot of the other poo poo is just fillter and half the npcs are obnoxious as gently caress.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The loot and itemization in this game is actually really loving poor. Which is a real shame, because there are some cool swords/armor out there that a lot of effort went into.

It just sucks doing a level 20 quest and getting a level 15 sword that your witcher gear is almost always better than anything you pick up, which is why just doing nothing but use whatever witcher set floats your boat is always the best option min/max wise.

The best example of this is that sword you get from Crach and he's like "this is the legendary sword of my family here you go..." and Geralt looks at the maxed out witcher sword on his back and doesn't want the sword but says "uhhh, yeah! thanks I really appreciate this gift" and then later that day tosses it in his stash never to be seen again.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Meowbot posted:

This is not true and not fair to use as a blanket statement some people simply DONT GIVE A gently caress what anyone thinks and give no shits about the story. I play the game to kill monsters and watch heads splatter on the ground. I skip dialogu and spam E on notice boards and dont read anything and im enjoying the game just as much as you did. I actually hate dialogue/stories in video games, give me a book or something for a real story, I just cant care about the story. Especially in novigrad, loving dandelions quest which takes like 2-3 hours to get through is a loving slog and the dialogue is terrible.

go watch the play in novigrad and tell me how good the dialogue and voice acting etc, is, yeah they are takign the piss somewhat, but its so awkward and lovely. A lot of it is lovely and awkward. Love the gam but that is not a high water mark. Geralt is good pretty much consistently but a lot of the other poo poo is just fillter and half the npcs are obnoxious as gently caress.

gently caress off you god damned idiot.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Meowbot posted:

I was being a bit hyperbolic and obviously you can enjoy the game however you want, but this game gets its highest praise in this thread and in reviews for its writing, world-building, characterization, dialogue, etc. If you don't like those aspects of Wild Hunt, fine, but I'm still going to emphatically recommend new players listen to all the dialogue.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Meowbot posted:

if you don't care about story or dialogue, why not play a game with good combat rather than a game with average combat but good story and dialogue ??????

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You might also want to watch the plot recaps of the first two games on youtube that CDPR made. They're really short but should help.

Meowbot posted:

Geralt is good pretty much consistently but a lot of the other poo poo is just fillter and half the npcs are obnoxious as gently caress.

Geralt is the worst of the main cast by far in terms of acting. You're weird. I can't imagine not playing this game for the story but I guess there's always one.

EDIT: And holy poo poo the play? It's supposed to sound overwrought, stilted, and awkward. That's the whole point of the gag. Listen to how Priscilla sounds there compared to all her other lines.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
If you don't care about dialogue and story, and just want awesome monster slaying, then I recommend Dragon's Dogma because that's all it is -- the best combat & monster fighting in an action RPG, of all time, easily (eat gently caress souls games), but little in the way of story or dialogue.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
"I skip all the dialogue but all the dialogue in this quest 30 hours into the game is awful"

:iiam:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SgtSteel91 posted:

This was my first WITCHER game and I have to say the character pieces in your journal were really more than enough. It's my favorite game of all time and I bought Witcher 2 after beating it.

Also don't listen to people about the ?s. They are fun.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
This discussion just reminded me of how amazing Priscilla's Song and that whole scene was. Pretty ballsy to have this four minute cutscene in a videogame that hinged entirely on the changing expressions on the characters faces but it worked out great and its another one of those small things that sets the game apart from all the others.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I was pretty surprised to find out that it's actually the voice actress singing. She's got a really good voice.

JetsGuy posted:

This was my first WITCHER game and I have to say the character pieces in your journal were really more than enough. It's my favorite game of all time and I bought Witcher 2 after beating it.

The journal isn't entirely accurate because it's Dandelion talking to himself, and Dandelion is full of poo poo, important to keep in mind in places.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is it generally safe to play this from a much older version save? I had been playing on 1.05 according to my old save files and I kind of wanted to pick up where I left off, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to start running into broken quests or anything weird like that.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

The journal isn't entirely accurate because it's Dandelion talking to himself, and Dandelion is full of poo poo, important to keep in mind in places.

Yeah it's obvious that he's not a reliable narrator but that's what makes it fun. I dunno,

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I was pretty surprised to find out that it's actually the voice actress singing. She's got a really good voice.

Whoa, I didn't know that, that's pretty cool.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Meowbot posted:

Good Lord. I rarely feel the need to comment on someone's opinion but

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have finished the game and now I have burning desire to see a spin-off with Lambert and Keira as protagonists.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hey goons am i being weird or does e3fx look like butt.

is there a better shader i can use? preferably something that's drag and drop, witcher modding is byzantine enough i want to keep it simple as possible

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah it's obvious that he's not a reliable narrator but that's what makes it fun. I dunno,

It did lead to the best journal entry in TW2. After Geralt trips balls and sees a weird hallucination of mushroom-trees and a huge chicken after drinking a dubious potion:

Dandelion posted:

The vision that the Visionary's potion induced in Geralt was so intriguing that I'll take the liberty of explaining it to the less sophisticated readers. As you may know, Geralt's childhood was far from pleasant. He never met his father and his mother abandoned him. He chose a life full of risk and constantly teeters on the edge between death (he is a witcher, after all) and libido (by which I mean his frequent, fleeting romances). His yearning for a father and concern for his own masculinity were represented by those phallic mushrooms that weighed down on Geralt like prison bars in his dream. The huge waterfowl, on the other hand, represented his mother, that is: the omnipotent breast, the giver of life and death, whom Geralt loved and hated at the same time. In his dream, just as in life, our hero could not reach her. His libido was not satisfied, and his lust for destruction increased. In the dream the latter was represented by the unstoppable pecking. Thus our hero's fear of women, normally hidden behind his tough guy facade, was revealed. Obviously the witcher did not realize what he had seen or, if he did, he must have fallen into denial. As a simple-minded man, he went to give the Visionary a literal account.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

sebmojo posted:

hey goons am i being weird or does e3fx look like butt.

is there a better shader i can use? preferably something that's drag and drop, witcher modding is byzantine enough i want to keep it simple as possible

I think E3FX is pretty okay myself. :shrug:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Sharmat posted:

It did lead to the best journal entry in TW2. After Geralt trips balls and sees a weird hallucination of mushroom-trees and a huge chicken after drinking a dubious potion:

gently caress me Dandelion is a strong friend.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Question about the PC version's UI:

Witcher 1's UI was bad, unplayable with mouse and keyboard (to me).
Witcher 3's UI was good, easily playable with mouse and keyboard.

What is Witcher 2's like? Is it closer to W1 or W3? What did they change from W2 to W3 (patch 1.11)?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are you sure you don't have Witcher 1 and 3 mixed up?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I was totally fine with Witcher 1's UI, but feel like it's better to play 2 and 3 with a controller. I still use the mouse for inventory stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

FauxGateau posted:

gently caress me Dandelion is a strong friend.

Friends don't let friends do Freudian psychoanalysis

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 15, 2015