Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Loiosh posted:

I seriously doubt they have it stable enough to release by then.

Yeah probably, but they need the November sale to raise millions or it's going to be obvious to even the most deluded fan that the ship is sinking. It's a fairly big roll of the dice on their part if they don't ship something. It's possible that Citizens might stop paying for concept art, as crazy as that seems, logically there has to be a limit to how long this can continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

...logically there has to be a limit to how long this can continue.

You assume much.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Yeah probably, but they need the November sale to raise millions or it's going to be obvious to even the most deluded fan that the ship is sinking. It's a fairly big roll of the dice on their part if they don't ship something. It's possible that Citizens might stop paying for concept art, as crazy as that seems, logically there has to be a limit to how long this can continue.

As much as I hate saying it, I think you're giving them too much credit. Citizens capable of simultaneously holding the views "heh, CIG is hiring, take that you pleb doomsayers, everything is obviously fine" and "CIG is firing, obvious signs that development is getting close to finished :downs:" will just see it as a mild challenge of their beliefs and come out of it with stronger faith than ever.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

As much as I hate saying it, I think you're giving them too much credit. Citizens capable of simultaneously holding the views "heh, CIG is hiring, take that you pleb doomsayers, everything is obviously fine" and "CIG is firing, obvious signs that development is getting close to finished :downs:" will just see it as a mild challenge of their beliefs and come out of it with stronger faith than ever.

Before Star Citizen nobody thought you could have a marketing campaign and people would be stupid enough to pay thousands for pictures of ships. Turns out that wasn't true, now just because it happened and continues to happen equally doesn't mean it always will. November is their most important month for fund raising and a lot of people will have heard about Star Citizen purely because of how much money it raised, if the November sale doesn't go well that's going to get widely talked about.

CIG will be aware of the danger, if you consider the new CCU system, military ships and a referral program, CIG had a larger sale in terms of items sold in October than ever before. That's why I think they are going to throw everything they have at this sale, they can't continue just to tap the whales and assume they'll raise the cash that's expected for November. It's a real risk.

AP fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 13, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

AP posted:

CIG will be aware of the danger, if you consider the new CCU system, military ships and a referral program, CIG had a larger sale in terms of items sold in October than ever before. That's why I think they are going to throw everything they have at this sale, they can't continue just to tap the whales and expect to raise the cash that's expected for November.

Yup, those weekly / this month's numbers are concerning. What I'd like to see is what the AC 2.0 update will look like, especially the redesigned connie (I finally got the chance to watch the video last night). As their first modal multicrew ship, it better work and it better work well or a lot of fence sitters will have a hard time justifying their position, even amongst the CIG fans.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Tippis posted:

The funny thing is, if they actually did have a QA process and really were moving forwards towards some actual game content, it would be trivially easy for them to take this as a launching point for taking control of the message and reversing it completely.

Include a “blooper reel” segment that takes the funniest bug(s) discovered in QA and show it to the world. Have the programmers discuss what's happening and why — get really technical and nerdy. Steal the thunder from all the janky-glitch-GIFs and turn it into a “ha ha, that was funny… maybe we should keep that bug” piece of self-deprecating comedy (the forums would eat it up; I can see the polls to keep particularly hilarious screw-ups already). For bonus points, if development should accidentally happen at some stage, they could even do re-visits to see how “boring but pretty” it is when the bugs are fixed. It would demonstrate an interest, passion, humour, and level of… I don't know… gamer-ness that is woefully lacking at the moment. I have yet to meet anyone who likes a game who can't also laugh uproariously at the hidden broken details in that game.

Of course, that would require that they have a sense of humour, as well as the distance needed for that kind of self-deprecation — neither of which I believe they can pull off. Not even going into the pseudo-conspiracy theory of there being no development to show off, I think they're so hung up on preserving the image of The Perfect Game (and, somehow, The Perfect Game Development) that no mistakes are allowed to be seen. If they weren't, they could live up to the much-vaunted (but largely absent) idea of having an open development process, while at the same time pull the rug from under the feet of people who use bugs and similar jank as evidence of poor quality at this stage.

You appear to be describing roughly something they have been doing for a while now, their Bugsmashers video series, which began as a segment on AtV and has since been spun off into its own recurring video series.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Octopode posted:

You appear to be describing roughly something they have been doing for a while now, their Bugsmashers video series, which began as a segment on AtV and has since been spun off into its own recurring video series.

I died while watching one of the episodes. RIP me. Smashed like a bug.

Or mashed like bugs, it's unclear.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

I also know this as 'trying to play the game'

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

AP posted:

My 100% accurate future-vision predicts:

Nothing will be released.

No lawsuits will be filed.

They will make millions on their November sale regardless.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Octopode posted:

…that isn't funny, isn't regular, isn't really showing off the game, and isn't really a discussion on development.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
I must have missed this from Void Stalker posted on the Descent Underground forum.

quote:

Void Stalker, on 30 Sept 2015 - 06:26 AM, said:
The Three Things that MUST happen at CIG.

Consumer confidence is everything to the crowd-funded juggernaut that is Star Citizen. Hopes and dreams of everyday people have built an empire, a million citizens strong, and the only thing holding it together is the promise of open honesty in pursuit of a lofty goal. I am among the backers of this project, having put in $830 of my own money into seeing Star Citizen become a reality. My comments below are in response to the ongoing controversy as expressed and exposed on multiple fronts, and as a concerned backer who wishes to see Star Citizen come to fruition by ending the publicly growing discourse.

If everything is indeed above board, then these demands should be easy enough to meet. If the situation is not above board, and there has been either mismanagement or deception, then actions must be immediately taken to correct the problems, less the entire project collapse.

Concern One: Where the Money Goes

The openness for Star Citizen has been a limited affair in a singular but critical aspect, the use of the $90+ million-dollar budget. Though the funding totals have been made publicly available, any real or actual accounting, budget, or even cursory mention of where any of it has gone, has been hidden from the public, and by all accounts, even internal review. A great deal of trust has been placed in Chris Roberts, and many have taken him at his word on the state of the finances for the project for years.

With the recent allegations of financial malfeasance by a very vocal Derek Smart, along with a public pattern that appears to be a series of financial cutbacks, layoffs, and insourcing due to budgetary concerns, these financial issues must be addressed. At a minimal level, backers must demand a top level balance sheet be made available, a financial business plan for use of the current funding, and the proposed milestones that are attainable with the expected funds that are projected prior to release. Though it has been stated by Chris Roberts on several occasions that CIG has enough money already set aside to complete the game, the current controversy is enough to raise doubts in the minds of many. Putting this demon to rest is the first and most crucial issue that will restore confidence in CIG. Failure to address this in an open and honest way will harm the project, and perhaps, lead to its demise.

Concern Two: The Sandi Situation

I have never met Sandi. I don’t know if she is simply misunderstood in the public eye, or if there are even deeper issues than apparent. I also don’t know for sure if Chris and Sandi are married or in a relationship, as the public assertions go. It has not been disclosed anywhere that I am aware. The same can be said of her resume and education. Though, there are a lot of unknowns, the rumor mill seems to assert that there is a strong indication of impropriety in her qualifications and education, as well as a toxic work ethic at best. At worst, a deceptive campaign to hide nepotism, geared toward making a personal profit from the backers of the project is strongly alleged by Smart. (And I honestly hope that isn’t the case.) Backers must demand an open and honest statement about her status and credentials.

Sandi is a senior member of the management team, and these issues cause a lack of confidence in the overall public image of CIG. Though I am not calling on backers to call for Sandi to immediately resign, which she shouldn’t do if all of these allegations are unfounded, I do believe the rumors must be addressed on all points. If there is indeed some type of conspiracy to conceal nepotism, or impropriety, then yes, she must resign, and CIG must find a suitable replacement from outside of the company.

Concern Three: The Micro Manager

Chris Roberts has been alleged to have an ego and a grand vision. I will argue that you can’t have a career like his without it, and it is perfectly reasonable. Chris Roberts is also likeably humble, at least in public, and that is a rare quality. These things are not really an issue, unless ego, and the “vision” that goes with it, gets in the way of producing a backer-funded product on time and on budget. This is where the allegations of extreme micromanagement come in to play, and must be addressed.

So what is really happening? Resignation letters and public statements seem to reveal a gross level of micromanagement the likes of which would make Steve Jobs blush. Even taken with a large grain of salt, it appears that there is something to this, and that it is putting Star Citizen’s timetable, budget, and overall artistic vision, not to mention talent retention, in extreme danger. And that is something that simply must be addressed, and backers must demand that it be addressed soon as evidenced by the exodus of key talent.

The remedy to this issue is not clear. Perhaps a detailed explanation of the process and procedures used to approve work should be made available, as a level above the current reporting generated in the “open” development process. If there is a real issue, perhaps some form of managerial or process buffer needs to be put in place to assure that talent is able to be fully utilized to complete their tasks efficiently. We, as backers, have put real money down to make sure Chris Roberts sees his vision take form. However, if that vision and its overall needs, are too great to be met with the available time and budget, then we must demand some action be taken to assure that the project is able to be finished, no matter if that means an additional level of oversight be put in place to assure that it happens.

In closing, my opinions here are just that, opinions. However, where there is smoke, there is often fire. Some may argue that I am taking a “kid gloved” approach to my concerns. Maybe so, but I feel strongly that a measured approach is the best approach, especially if there has been no wrong doing, or even a modest level of mismanagement. I also feel that with this level of demand that CIG should be able to easily respond to it honestly if everything is above board. Of course, nothing will happen if no one else makes the same demands I outline here, so please consider this a call to action to ask for open accountability.

(Also, excuse any typos, I am part of the spell check generation.)

http://descendentstudios.com/community/topic/2041-star-citizen-and-derek-smart/?p=23759

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Do you think QVC would show blooper reels of their lovely kitchen gadgets malfunctioning? No, it's the same here, think of this as QVC, not a game. Nothing relating to game dev is relevant here, it's all a sales pitch.
Look at Loiosh's last post, he's a nice guy but still, 90% of his post is about pondering about spaceships - the sales pitch works.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The future is grim, but the video game faithful press on!

I wonder what the cultists think when they play finished games. Like is there a nagging thought that "this is how it's supposed to be" or something like that. Does it eat at them when they stare at the ceiling of a super eight hotel? Maybe they have acid reflux when they have a donut the n next morning. "Hum when will my favorite spaceship be finished?"

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Did 2.0 ever make it out or is it still two weeks away?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Raskolnikov posted:

I wonder what the cultists think when they play finished games. Like is there a nagging thought that "this is how it's supposed to be" or something like that. Does it eat at them when they stare at the ceiling of a super eight hotel.

They probably wonder why the game is going on for so long and why is there so much to do and why isn't broke then go back to pondering spaceships

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Do you think QVC would show blooper reels of their lovely kitchen gadgets malfunctioning? No, it's the same here, think of this as QVC, not a game. Nothing relating to game dev is relevant here, it's all a sales pitch.
Look at Loiosh's last post, he's a nice guy but still, 90% of his post is about pondering about spaceships - the sales pitch works.

Yeah, that's really the core of it, and indeed of every part of their supposed openness in the dev process: it has all become about selling, not about letting the audience follow the project through to completion.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Raskolnikov posted:

I wonder what the cultists think when they play finished games. Like is there a nagging thought that "this is how it's supposed to be" or something like that. Does it eat at them when they stare at the ceiling of a super eight hotel? Maybe they have acid reflux when they have a donut the n next morning. "Hum when will my favorite spaceship be finished?"

With so many TV shows about Star Citizen, I doubt they have enough time to play actual games.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

You should see the poo poo I used to write about Flight Sim X. Simulator fans tend to be an odd breed. I went though a 'phase' for a few years going deep into commercial airline fun. FS2Crew, PMDG 737 and 747, WxRad, CloudFX, updated NOTAMS and STARS, VATSIM, scenery, Radar Control 4 and Voice Control to top it all off.

I've been doing virtual crap since Papyrus Racing on my first computer, IBM PC XT. That's where it all started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_500:_The_Simulation .. driving backwards on the 10 lap version to see how big I could get the wrecks.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Loiosh posted:

You should see the poo poo I used to write about Flight Sim X. Simulator fans tend to be an odd breed. I went though a 'phase' for a few years going deep into commercial airline fun. FS2Crew, PMDG 737 and 747, WxRad, CloudFX, updated NOTAMS and STARS, VATSIM, scenery, Radar Control 4 and Voice Control to top it all off.

I've been doing virtual crap since Papyrus Racing on my first computer, IBM PC XT. That's where it all started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis_500:_The_Simulation .. driving backwards on the 10 lap version to see how big I could get the wrecks.

Same tbqh

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Nothing relating to game dev is relevant here, it's all a sales pitch.

Yeah, I've gradually moved from having severe reservations about how much of their pitch is actually possible to doubting that there'll ever be anything at all of substance. Now I just enjoy watching CIG try to judge how best to raise the most money without making it too obvious to the believers.

If they do throw lots of 890 Jumps, Javelins and Alien ships into the November sale it's going to be pretty funny if they don't sell out, it's something they have to judge very carefully. Too few you don't make as much cash, too many and people might start to question if spending $2500 on a piece of concept art was wise.

Amun Khonsu posted:

I must have missed this from Void Stalker posted on the Descent Underground forum.

who he?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

When the updated the later versions to have the AI respect yellow flags in all modes, I lost interest ;.; (This is also why I don't care for iRacing) - What I do now for fun (SRD on reddit) is pretty much the same thing, just watching people crash instead of cars.

Also why I like this thread, drama popcorn is the best buttery popcorn.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

I wasn't having a go at you and do find nerdy stuff like that cool btw :)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This is glorious

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

Yeah, I've gradually moved from having severe reservations about how much of their pitch is actually possible to doubting that there'll ever be anything at all of substance. Now I just enjoy watching CIG try to judge how best to raise the most money without making it too obvious to the believers.

I can't shake the feeling that of all the companies out there CIG would absolutely be shouting it from the roof tops in one of their many many godawful self promoting videos if they had anything at all resembling cool new genuine game content.
The fact that of all people themselves don't speaks volumes to me.
It's awesome

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

If they do throw lots of 890 Jumps, Javelins and Alien ships into the November sale it's going to be pretty funny if they don't sell out, it's something they have to judge very carefully. Too few you don't make as much cash, too many and people might start to question if spending $2500 on a piece of concept art was wise.

who he?

oh fk, my bad. I think I confused him for a former dev now a mod at Wingmans Descent Underground website. Sorry.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think they want to show any real progress (or make any for that matter), because that would ruin the illusion of being the greatest game of all time. Their entire business model is based on people thinking it's going to be the last game they'll ever play, and therefore totally worth spending thousands of dollars on.

Open development would completely ruin this idea for a lot of people (even if it's just that reality can't compare with fantasy). I think CIG has in some ways realized this, and is going to milk this "the game is whatever you want it to be" for as long as possible. I think CIG is in a position were any development they do is most likely going to anger more current backers than entice new ones.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Duckaerobics posted:

I don't think they want to show any real progress (or make any for that matter), because that would ruin the illusion of being the greatest game of all time.

This right here is a massive issue.
How can they even begin to fulfil the hype generated by fat clowns spending thousands on jpegs who then write endless fan fiction and Manual.pdfs about crap that doesn't exist?
They can't, and again, it's awesome

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

SC will support Ouya. Confirm/deny?

Also, that crowdfunding spreadsheet. That's the game.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Bootcha's video appears to be delayed.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've recently started meditating and it brings peace and happiness.

Derek, you seem like a man who appreciates some good meditation.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShredsYouSay posted:

Even in the future nothing works.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ShredsYouSay posted:

If so, it is only in keeping with the spirit of CIG. #twoweeks

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The things Mr. Not so Smart said, that made sense in the beginning, are just questions from others that he just repeated like parrod.

Like, "where is the money going?" Or "Can the game be done?" + several complains what was a stretch goal and what was not a.s.o.

I think everyone who watched the video presentations from CIGs events and can count to 3 has an idea where the money goes (if not, I tell you: It is is used for developing the game! :))

And anyone with eyes in their heads could tell the progress and that the game still goes into the right direction.

After Mr. Troll Smart used all his "reasonable" ammo (which was not his, in the first place) he started to shoot with dirt, and that a lot.

I don't know with what that man earns his money, but it's not with developing games. His games are a joke. They are full of bugs, look old or even ugly. and the gameplay itself is very questionable.

But instead working on it to make his games better, that man has nothing better to do than spending his days for his crusade against CIG.

Yes, he unfortunatly is in this industry, but does that make him an expert who knows what he is talking about? No! Because he proofed many times that he is hust good at trolling and having a huge ego, but certainly not in developing games.

Hell, I've seen demo videos what kids create with the unreal engine, that look and work 1 Mio. times better than that crap that Not so Smart calls his games!

You know Rob's "Don't suck! - rule", right? Smart has violated it since he developes games!

To make it short, if you listen to Mr. not so Smart, you listen to a guy that has no clue what he is talking about, and only has skills as a troll.

Every time CIG shows on what they are working and bring updates, they show how wrong that troll is.

They let results speak for them, which is the best way.

So, who would you believe? A guys who just talks and trolls since he is in this industry or a guy who delivers good games since he is in this industry? :)

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

staberind posted:

If we are posting odd space games to scratch the itch, Grav is free for the weekend on steam, its an odd game, but i am kind of sucked in.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/332500/

& get an ointment.

Totally with you on Grav. I played until like 5am last night. Needing wood to power my super mono wheel space bike, while odd, it's fun. Like it better than Ark. Ark was the first game I actually refunded on steam yesterday. Which I think is fair considering over 10 years and I'm like 7500 bucks into steam with over 1000 games.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3so3ij/has_anyone_else_completely_checked_out/

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

Even in the future nothing works.

Lesnick was the bearded lady

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3so3ij/has_anyone_else_completely_checked_out/cwyya9f

Eesh more creeps.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

In a shocking turn of events:

some redditor posted:

Star citizen is like that hot high school girl...we just have to wait until she's of age and try really hard not to think about it.

e:^^^ oh, I didn't know you could do that! ^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

ShredsYouSay posted:

He's waiting till splashdown.

• Locked thread