Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Inverness posted:

While we don't know how many changes were made to the kernel code, the file itself is certainly being replaced by a newer build.

I'm not sure how you can say with certainty that the kernel isn't being updated anyways.

I read somewhere that the update isn't offered if you installed Windows 10 less than 30 days ago. I can't say that with certainty or anything.

Yeah, I saw that, but all my installs are pretty much day 1 installs, so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
if you want the new update just download the media creator tool. Have it create an ISO and then once its made doubleclick the iso so windows mounts it and run setup

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Don Lapre posted:

if you want the new update just download the media creator tool. Have it create an ISO and then once its made doubleclick the iso so windows mounts it and run setup
You don't even need to do that. The normal downloader just puts the ISO contents on your hard drive and runs it from there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Inverness posted:

You don't even need to do that. The normal downloader just puts the ISO contents on your hard drive and runs it from there.

Some people arn't being offered the download.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Don Lapre posted:

Some people arn't being offered the download.
I mean the download from the website. Clicking "upgrade now" on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 downloads the ISO contents to your HD then begins the installation. No need to create an actual ISO file.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GokieKS posted:

The difference between a service pack and an OS upgrade is just semantics
Service packs just install some new files into your current OS installation. An upgrade moves your C:\Windows folder to C:\Windows.old and sets up an entirely new OS install. That's what this November update does. It's identical to the process of going from 7 to 8, or 8 to 10. Absolutely identical.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

xamphear posted:

Service packs just install some new files into your current OS installation. An upgrade moves your C:\Windows folder to C:\Windows.old and sets up an entirely new OS install. That's what this November update does. It's identical to the process of going from 7 to 8, or 8 to 10. Absolutely identical.

See, it's "Windows" vs "Windows.old", it's just semantics! :pseudo:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The past week or so I've been getting a message about Task Host Window preventing Windows from shutting down. When I do a clean boot, I don't seem to have this problem, but I'd like to figure out what's causing it. Is it even worth digging into if this Update is going to basically be a new install of the OS?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

Does Windows 10 Storage Spaces also feature what I believe they call double or dual parity for RAID6-like redundancy, and how does it preform?
I don't quite trust n-way mirrors, as there are situations where a two-way mirror can lose data where a dual-parity array would be fine.

Yes (with at least 7 disks). https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn387076.aspx#bkmk_dualparity
Unfortunately Storage spaces become really usable if you use powershell to create the disks.

Or use a three way mirror.

Remember that there are two types of mirrored stage spaces:
1)Striped with number of columns more than 1.
2)unstriped with one column.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 14, 2015

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

It's 2015. Windows can detect if you're running a game and nag you to use its lovely version of the Steam overlay, but the sticky keys prompt still crashes your game and takes the system with it when it pops up during a complicated jumping puzzle.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
We;lp left the insider program now that threshold 2 was released to the general public. Was pretty easy left it had to reboot then for activation just put my Windows 8 Pro code in and activated. No calls or nothing and no reinstall.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Something odd with build 10586.3: I had my onboard NIC, 1394 and Bluetooth Radio all disabled - however Windows 10 has reactivated all of them in the OS and is ignoring the BIOS settings.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

WorkingStiff posted:

Something odd with build 10586.3: I had my onboard NIC, 1394 and Bluetooth Radio all disabled - however Windows 10 has reactivated all of them in the OS and is ignoring the BIOS settings.

This is a full OS upgrade, so it will re-enable all devices. Windows should ignore the BIOS setting because those settings are for preboot only.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

xamphear posted:

I was referring to what changes (new features, bug fixes, etc.) constitute a service pack vs. a full OS upgrade, not the distribution method of said update.

It being a full OS upgrade makes it even worse, as not only do you have all these unwanted apps coming back, it means you're also losing out on 15GB+ of hard drive space unless you either delete Windows.old yourself or wait for the OS to do it automatically after a month. This is a level of taking control away from users that I find nearly unacceptable.

However, somebody (elsewhere) mentioned that he uses a Microsoft account for login to Windows rather than a local account, and did not see the apps come back after the upgrade to Version 1151. Which, if true, means MS is possibly doing it intentionally to drive people to using the MS account login instead.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 14, 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have an MS account and Get Skype, Get Office, and Solitaire still came back. I'm actually kinda glad there was an OS reinstall though, because it seems to have unfucked Bitlocker for me. :v:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Got the November update and I now have Canadian Cortana.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hi, I'm going to just barge into this thread and ask a stupid question: Is there any way to log out of edge like fire fox has or is closing all the windows and losing all my tabs the only way to quit the browser (where is the drat quit button)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The November update froze twice at 32% / 6% and after my third restart it's not even showing up in Windows Update anymore. Uh, ok?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Acne Rain posted:

Hi, I'm going to just barge into this thread and ask a stupid question: Is there any way to log out of edge like fire fox has or is closing all the windows and losing all my tabs the only way to quit the browser (where is the drat quit button)

Alt-F4?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is there an article summing up what the big November update is suppose to be? It took like 40 minutes to install on my computer and everything seems exactly the same.

I just wish they would fix their lovely mail app to be as functional as the Windows 8 version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is there an article summing up what the big November update is suppose to be? It took like 40 minutes to install on my computer and everything seems exactly the same.

I just wish they would fix their lovely mail app to be as functional as the Windows 8 version.
Here's the official blog post, and here's Ars's more detailed take.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Mail app is more functional now than it's ever been, what do you think is missing?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Mail app is more functional now than it's ever been, what do you think is missing?

It's missing the ability to send email from an Outlook alias or an email tied to the main Live account. It's missing the ability to update or pop up toast with any sort of regularity. It's missing the ability to properly display the number of unread mail within an account. And it's missing the ability to not be a giant piece of poo poo.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Not who you were talking to, I need MS to have the same functionality as Inbox from Google. I think they do something similar in the Outlook Android app? But Google's algorithm to determine Promo emails is spot on and something I really really want. I make mine catch all promo emails and then show up once a day as a bundle.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

As the above but I would love to be able to sync mailing lists between the mail app, outlook.com and outlook.

Also mark all as read/select all would be great.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 14, 2015

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Got the November update and I now have Canadian Cortana.

Is there anything you want me to do, eh?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What do I have to type in on the start menu to get "Windows Update" to pop up? It's as if Metro-style control panel things don't get indexed by the search.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Hed posted:

What do I have to type in on the start menu to get "Windows Update" to pop up? It's as if Metro-style control panel things don't get indexed by the search.

I can type "windows u" and the top three options are Windows Update settings, Check for updates and Advanced Windows Update options,

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Acne Rain posted:

Are you asking if you can save your tabs for the next time you open Edge? Should be an option in the settings, like Start With.....

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

I can type "windows u" and the top three options are Windows Update settings, Check for updates and Advanced Windows Update options,

Looks like it might have something to do with the November update. I just rebooted from that and I now have the same options you do!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Satellit3 posted:

Are you asking if you can save your tabs for the next time you open Edge? Should be an option in the settings, like Start With.....

okay, I'll check that, but alt+f4 and clicking the X only closes one window at a time and I have four up. I'm not sure how the start with option would work with that.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

I must not understand what you're asking

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The progress bar hasn't moved since yesterday.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Does anyone have any insight or ideas on the following?

None of my store apps start (including the store app) after the November update to 10586.3 (however, my memory is fuzzy and it's possible they worked just after the update completed but failed after a later reboot). An example, I click on the Weather app pinned to my taskbar:

In the event log, there are 4 errors in rapid succession (in order of occurrence):

Error; Source: DistributedCOM, Event ID: 10001 posted:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
"5"
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.BingWeather_4.7.104.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Msn.Weather.exe" -ServerName:App.AppX2m6wj6jceb8yq7ppx1b3drf7yy51ha6f.mca

Error; Source: AppModel-Runtime, Event ID: 57 posted:

Failed with 2147942405 to retrieve the trust state of the package Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime.1.1_1.1.23406.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe folder.

Error; Source: AppModel-Runtime, Event ID: 61 posted:

0x5: Cannot create the process for package Microsoft.BingWeather_4.7.104.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe because an error was encountered while performing the integrity check. Access is denied.

Source: Apps, Event ID: 5973 posted:

Activation of app Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: Access is denied. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

And here's the story in that log (in order of occurrence):

Information; Source: Apps, Event ID: 1621 posted:

Activation of app Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App attempted. Execution state: Attempted activation of the app, 0, The operation completed successfully..

Error; Source: Apps, Event ID: 5990 posted:

Activation via contract helper of the app Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with Access is denied..

Error; Source: Apps, Event ID: 5961 posted:

Activation of the app Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with error: Access is denied..

Error; Source: Apps, Event ID: 5985 posted:

ActivateApplicationForContractByAppIdAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with Access is denied..

Things I have tried:
  • Googling. Some of these errors have no hits.
  • Rebooting.
  • Running the powershell command(s) to re-register the default apps & reboot: caused the app names in the start menu to be replaced with "@{package name}" labels.
  • Running the dism command(s) to fix whatever its supposed to: nothing.
  • Running sfc /scannow: nothing.
  • Running wsreset.exe: nothing.
  • Running procmon to see if I could figure out what the file, folder, or registry key had the permission problem: nothing.
  • Giving "All Application Packages" permission to: "%localappdata%\packages", "C:", "%programfiles%\WindowsApps" and "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage" per advice from random google hits: nothing.
  • Ran this troubleshooter: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps nothing.

I'm out of ideas. I'm not going to do a Reset this machine again, because I have too much stuff installed, so it's either figure out a fix or don't run store apps.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 14, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Haven't gotten the big November update yet. Is there any way to force it to download through windows update? I know I can download the media creation tool and do it through that, but I'm weird and don't want to :v:

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

Does anyone have any insight or ideas on the following?

None of my store apps start (including the store app) after the November update to 10586.3 (however, my memory is fuzzy and it's possible they worked just after the update completed but failed after a later reboot). An example, I click on the Weather app pinned to my taskbar:

Are you using a local account or a microsoft account? If you create a local account and select “Sign in to just this app instead” when it prompts for your MS credentials will it run correctly?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Call Me Charlie posted:

Thanks.

It's missing the ability to send email from an Outlook alias or an email tied to the main Live account. It's missing the ability to update or pop up toast with any sort of regularity. It's missing the ability to properly display the number of unread mail within an account. And it's missing the ability to not be a giant piece of poo poo.

Yes, this. Not to mention the many HTML formatted messages it still cocks up due to relying on Edge. Even with a fresh install of TH2, it also refuses to sync past August 24th for sent messages in my Outlook account.

And when the gently caress will we get mail results mixed back in with search results in general, like every mobile OS, oSX, and Windows versions before 8 can do?

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
I've probably done 5 clean installs of W10 (release and now TH2) across various systems, and jeebus it just seems potluck what you're going to get as compared to Win7/Win8, discounting any hardware issues of course. The Start Menu in particular is just so irredeemably flaky - still.

The latest now - again, a clean install - is that the settings panel doesn't want to return search results.

It was installed last night.

The SM would at first give me individual results, however wouldn't respond to clicks or keyboard controls for the modern settings elements. Searching in the Settings app itself would only return the older-style control panel items

Googling around, some found success with re-setting the indexing options of the Settings panel. This is done by navigating to it in the file system:

C:\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState

Selecting Properties->Advanced on the LocalState folder, and un-checking "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties", hit Apply, then re-check, hit apply.

That at least got the results back (more or less, I still have to be very specific with regards to search terms when on other installs I get more hits) that I can click on:

However, I did that step 3 hours ago. Still showing no results in the panel, as well as still displaying "The results may be incomplete", and yes this is on an SSD.

Anyone else ran into this?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

BattleCattle posted:

The progress bar hasn't moved since yesterday.
I've run across issues like this before. You might have to kill and restart the update process via command prompt. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-stuck-downloading-updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Phoenixan posted:

I've run across issues like this before. You might have to kill and restart the update process via command prompt. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-stuck-downloading-updates

It worked! Thanks a bunch.