Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Well, there's that, too. Though I find that XenServer's bugs rarely affect small environments either.

Doesn't matter whether it's XenServer or Essentials (Plus) or oVirt. Just don't use some janky non-datacenter level thing because you can't afford vCenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

evol262 posted:

Just don't use some janky non-datacenter level thing because you can't afford vCenter.

It isn't supposed to be a replacement for vCenter. It is supposed to be a nice tool for people with a small ESX setup, or a bootstrap for getting vCenter setup.

The last "official" UI from the adobe web client team was installing some big bloated piece of adobe crap that you would install on Windows. It was basically just the UI packaged up for windows. It was very difficult to get setup and really slow. It was a poor excuse for horrible planning. VMware should have never went with a UI solution that depended on having vCenter.

The Host Client is great, and the Adobe web client needs to become more like it. Obviously it would need more to be part of vCenter, but the products should look and feel like they are the same. Much like the old thick client, you could use it for a single ESX machine or connect to vCenter and it would expand what you could do with it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

DevNull posted:

It isn't supposed to be a replacement for vCenter. It is supposed to be a nice tool for people with a small ESX setup, or a bootstrap for getting vCenter setup.

I get that, I just mean in reference to nitr0's comment -- the embedded tool isn't like "well, I can't afford vCenter, but I guess VMware is still the best solution for me, because I can use this thing!" Unless it can provided a unified view of everything, but if so, I missed that.

If you can't afford vCenter, you should be looking at other solutions, I guess

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

evol262 posted:

I get that, I just mean in reference to nitr0's comment -- the embedded tool isn't like "well, I can't afford vCenter, but I guess VMware is still the best solution for me, because I can use this thing!" Unless it can provided a unified view of everything, but if so, I missed that.

If you can't afford vCenter, you should be looking at other solutions, I guess

Actually, it would be cool if you could use the host client to proxy to other host clients. It would be a bit slower, but you could see multiple machines at once.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NippleFloss posted:

The client itself is fine, the fact that it is installable package that requires a specific OS to run it is not. If the web client was just an HTML5 version of the thick client everyone would be happy. There are environments out there that do not have or want Windows but required it if they intended to use ESX, and that is dumb. And from VMware's perspective it's much easier to build a multi platform browser client with a uniform interface across platforms than it is to manage different binary bundles for OSX and Linux and Windows and ChromeOS and so on .

And honestly, the web client in 6 is fine other than the console requiring a plugin.

Right, I just unsure if you didn't like the client because it was poor because of the design or because it wasn't multi-platform.

I'm curious, is a reason why VMware can't make an HTML5 Client?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

Hyper-V's big selling point is that it comes with Windows. From an external tooling perspective, it's a ways behind Xen(Server). Technical feature-wise, hyper-v is probably the worst of the bunch. It works, basically, but missing basic features like nested virt and samepage dedupe is stupid.

If you're only running a few hosts, Hyper-V will work and that's all we need. As for tooling well, that's where System Center comes into play...

Missing samepage dedupe is unfortunate, but what's the use case for nested virt? I'm trying to imagine a real-wold scenario and I can only think of this being extremely rare...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

If you're only running a few hosts, Hyper-V will work and that's all we need. As for tooling well, that's where System Center comes into play...

Missing samepage dedupe is unfortunate, but what's the use case for nested virt? I'm trying to imagine a real-wold scenario and I can only think of this being extremely rare...
Nested virt is super-important for a home lab, which was the context we were originally discussing, but of obviously limited usefulness in other circumstances.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Right, I just unsure if you didn't like the client because it was poor because of the design or because it wasn't multi-platform.

I'm curious, is a reason why VMware can't make an HTML5 Client?

The web client was started a long time ago. I think 5 years or more. It kept getting delayed because it was so bad. Eventually, it was just kinda pushed out the door because the C# client was in such disrepair. It was a huge mess.

The powers that be finally made the decision to go with html5 though, and I think good progress is being made on it. How quickly it will happen is just rumor I have heard, but I know html5 is the plan for sure.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nitr0 posted:

Have you tried this if you can't afford the vcenter

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

*installs immediately*

Who was the guy in this thread who worked on the VMware VNC fling? poo poo works great in our environment.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

*installs immediately*

Who was the guy in this thread who worked on the VMware VNC fling? poo poo works great in our environment.

That's me. Awesome. We will will try to put out a better version in the next few months. That code was actually fairly old by the time VMware let us release it. We want better scaling support and some polish like that.

I think the ESX host Client Fling is getting a ton of support internally now to. I know it has quickly become one of the most downloaded flings VMware has done. Hopefully it will end up an official product with support.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Well, <insert dead horse about HTML5 and Flash here>. Of course it's high profile :shrug:

Got the Horizon Toolkit installed now, too. The auto - Windows Remote Support integration is wonderful.

These VMware labs flings are becoming my cocaine.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

DevNull posted:

That's me. Awesome. We will will try to put out a better version in the next few months. That code was actually fairly old by the time VMware let us release it. We want better scaling support and some polish like that.

I think the ESX host Client Fling is getting a ton of support internally now to. I know it has quickly become one of the most downloaded flings VMware has done. Hopefully it will end up an official product with support.

Is it intentional that I can only access labs.vmware.com from firefox? Chrome and Safari both throw this:

code:
Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client" on this server.
Reference #18.bea4d17.1446773124.cf63906
and have for some time now for several people.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

1000101 posted:

Is it intentional that I can only access labs.vmware.com from firefox? Chrome and Safari both throw this:

code:
Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client" on this server.
Reference #18.bea4d17.1446773124.cf63906
and have for some time now for several people.

That's weird. I am on Chrome and it works just fine for me. I just downloaded it at home. Works on Safari for me too. I can pass that error on to the Flings team though. Is something blocking on your end maybe?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had the same thing with VMware's KB a few weeks ago, had to clear my cache to fix it.

May 14, 2003

DevNull posted:

That's weird. I am on Chrome and it works just fine for me. I just downloaded it at home. Works on Safari for me too. I can pass that error on to the Flings team though. Is something blocking on your end maybe?

quote:

I had the same thing with VMware's KB a few weeks ago, had to clear my cache to fix it.

You know what, it was my cache after all. I'll pass this around to my colleagues. I figured it was something else since it happened on my new laptop as well..

Noted for the future!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Honestly, it took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure that out. Not sure how VMware Web team managed to pull that off, but there you go!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Kachunkachunk posted:

Weird, I think however you would need to refer to host and vCenter Server logging to figure it out.

Edit: Maybe enable SSH on the ESXi server and try logging into its management IP using root@10.0.0.102 from the vCenter Server VM. If it works, at least you know the networking is fine, and now it's a host agent, cert, or some other issue that the logs can better illustrate.

I figured out the problem. I set the keyboard layout in esxi 2 to United Kingdom, but outside VMWare I'm using a US layout so technically I was typing the wrong password.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Internet Explorer posted:

Honestly, it took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure that out. Not sure how VMware Web team managed to pull that off, but there you go!

My first troubleshooting rule for when a website won't load or function properly is to try a private browsing tab. Most of the time that fixes it and tell me I have a bad cookie or something that's causing issues.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Number19 posted:

My first troubleshooting rule for when a website won't load or function properly is to try a private browsing tab. Most of the time that fixes it and tell me I have a bad cookie or something that's causing issues.

Yeah, that's definitely a good habit and always my go-to for troubleshooting SSO issues or things that require logins / settings. It's been a long time since a mostly static website just straight up broke on me. And the error message is super misleading.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Anyone have any advice on iSCSI on Windows Server 2012 R2? I'm seeing much poorer performance than using the same machines with VMWare. It also seems like the iSCSI connections are leaking, occasionally trying to go out the default gateway of the host, despite being on different network cards and subnets, etc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Serfer posted:

Anyone have any advice on iSCSI on Windows Server 2012 R2? I'm seeing much poorer performance than using the same machines with VMWare. It also seems like the iSCSI connections are leaking, occasionally trying to go out the default gateway of the host, despite being on different network cards and subnets, etc.
Have you verified the physical layer? My gut when I hear about things randomly going out the wrong interface in non-weird configurations is that the interface associated with the correct route is in a down state (i.e. flapping).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Since we're vaguely on a vCenter client kick, does anyone have any idea on why both the most recent Workstation or Fusion Pro apps wouldn't work properly with vCenter 5.5? I can connect to vCenter but all hosts report as powered off, I can't edit settings (the option is disabled in the context menu), can't go to console (on Fusion Pro at least - Workstation will let me connect to the console but I can't edit settings)

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Vulture Culture posted:

Have you verified the physical layer? My gut when I hear about things randomly going out the wrong interface in non-weird configurations is that the interface associated with the correct route is in a down state (i.e. flapping).

I haven't seen any flapping or resets on the switch side. I have a feeling it's related to the poor performance, as in it misses an iscsi response and thinks that it can no longer reach the SAN, and tries to go out the default gateway. I'm not really sure what's going on though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Does VMware have issues with 4KB devices? I tried to add an iSCSI disk as physical one to VMware Workstation 12 and it threw a poo poo fit, when I noticed it displayed as 8GB instead of 64GB. So I changed the logical block size from 4096 to 512, recreated the VMDK mapping and suddenly it worked.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Does anyone use vRealize Automation to provide a self service vm portal for workers? If so, does it work well?

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Wicaeed posted:

Does anyone use vRealize Automation to provide a self service vm portal for workers? If so, does it work well?

We do this, and build it for other people. It works reasonably well. The back-end is a bit fragile and convoluted when you get beyond the simple install, but that's getting better in the next version. The amount of effort it takes to get going will vary greatly based on how fancy you're trying to get--spinning up a VM from a template with DHCP takes no time, integrating the VM lifecycle with IPAM, a CMDB, configuration management tools, and other vRO-driven wackiness takes exponentially longer.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I just did a demo of it for a potential client last week. They were interested enough that they want to continue the conversation, which I guess is better than nothing. Pantology is correct--once you've got everything installed and configured correctly basic stuff is super fast to implement. Adding orchestrator customization is pretty straightforward and only takes a few minutes per flow (actually getting the right flow to run at the right time, that is, flow development is a different beast entirely).

If you've got the licensing for it you can do some really slick stuff with the application services add-on. This client wanted to see a multi tier application buildout, and once I got the hang of things it wasn't too hard to do. There's another extension called advanced service designer, but I don't really know a whole lot about that part.

I will say though that it is one of those things where you should read through the install and configure guide completely before you start actually doing anything. Some parts of the setup are really finicky, and getting something wrong can be really hard to track down later.

May 14, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

I want to second what Pantology said. Once you get it up and running though its generally pretty straightforward, from there it just depends on the workers you're providing the portal for.

If you're looking to PoC I'd hold off until 7.0 is GA so you don't need to worry about the Application Services component as a separate install/piece.

quote:

There's another extension called advanced service designer, but I don't really know a whole lot about that part.

Advanced service designer lets me basically create any service I want using vRO workflows. I can also create "day 2 operations" that can be executed on any provisioned items (for example you could trigger a vro workflow that re-runs puppet or create an action to add the VM to a load balancer.)

I run our vRA architecture team so I'm happy to answer any questions.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
You haven't taken the soon-to-be-retired VCP6-Cloud exam by any chance, have you?

May 14, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

You haven't taken the soon-to-be-retired VCP6-Cloud exam by any chance, have you?

I have not. We tend to split up our certifications for a number of reasons so even though I've probably got the most vRA experience in our org I'm not holding any certifications for it directly. Instead I get to hold the data center virtualization and NSX stuff.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I took the vCAC 6.1 class not long before they revamped it for vRA (which I was totally unaware was going to happen), and now I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to pass the exam before they pull the plug on it at the end of the month. If I understand right that class will be worthless unless I can get the old version, because the class doesn't satisfy the classroom requirement for VCP6-CMA.

e: Took the exam yesterday. Didn't pass, but I wasn't expecting to honestly. I actually did pretty well all things considered. A little boning up on admin roles and NSX poo poo and I should be able to pass next try.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 19, 2015

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Has anyone at least TESTED vSphere Integrated Containers in a dev or test environment?

Our Ops team just got handed the details of our new architecture and it seems like there's a general shift to CONTAINERIZE ALL THE THINGS.

Right now the plan is to run a bunch of Ubuntu hosts as our docker containers and orchestrate them all with Docker Swarm.

Our Dev team wasn't even aware of VMware Photon as being an option, but I'm not really sure how mature it is as a technology yet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Basically the only reason to containerize all the things is because nobody has actually figured out how to network containers to things that aren't containers yet (except by attaching more containers to each container that has to communicate)

They're great at solving one really specific problem but the amount of hype behind them is terribly disheartening

Maybe in another year or so they'll be a good fit for people whose network infrastructures already support VXLAN and don't need Flannel or Socketplane or some other dumb poo poo just so containers on different hosts can talk to each other

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Basically the only reason to containerize all the things is because nobody has actually figured out how to network containers to things that aren't containers yet (except by attaching more containers to each container that has to communicate)

They're great at solving one really specific problem but the amount of hype behind them is terribly disheartening

Maybe in another year or so they'll be a good fit for people whose network infrastructures already support VXLAN and don't need Flannel or Socketplane or some other dumb poo poo just so containers on different hosts can talk to each other

Wait what? I'll admit to not being intimately familiar with containers in general, but I assume that with containers you can at least utilize the underlying VM host network stack to talk to existing infrastructure?

My take on it is Devs are tired of the slow roll out cycles cause by Ops team insisting on a safe and sane deployment when pushing code to prod.

I swear half of this meeting was the Devs bitching that it takes too long to do anything in our production environment because of our team, and the new Director of Engineering going along and nodding silently :negative:

Tell you what Devs, as soon as you share oncall duties with the TechOps guys, we'll start pushing code to production every 24 hours :fuckoff:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

Wait what? I'll admit to not being intimately familiar with containers in general, but I assume that with containers you can at least utilize the underlying VM host network stack to talk to existing infrastructure?
Sure, but the containers live in their own network namespace (naturally) and the communication is either through iptables port forwards or some kind of direct connection to the private networks of other containers. The latter isn't a problem in single-host situations since the network traffic never needs to leave the host environment, but in multi-host situations you need some way of gluing those networks together. That means you need a central source of truth for IP addressing so you don't get conflicts (or a completely dedicated addressing space per host, as in Kubernetes), and some kind of encapsulation so the packets leaving one host will actually reach the other (can be done on a flat host network, but this is unsustainable in large container fleets and you'll need some kind of overlay network). VXLAN is honestly fairly sane here, but stuff like Flannel and Socketplane can add a really significant amount of network I/O.

Docker in particular also sucks rear end at forwarding UDP, which is a big problem if you need to containerize something like an RTP or WebRTC server.

Wicaeed posted:

My take on it is Devs are tired of the slow roll out cycles cause by Ops team insisting on a safe and sane deployment when pushing code to prod.
Sure, there's lots of reasons to use containers, and Containerize Some of The Things Where It Makes Sense would be a great philosophy if the dominant container runtime didn't make this more difficult than just containerizing stuff that's a bad fit for containers. Providing a standard box for applications regardless of their runtime is really valuable. Containers are great at solving this problem.

Wicaeed posted:

I swear half of this meeting was the Devs bitching that it takes too long to do anything in our production environment because of our team, and the new Director of Engineering going along and nodding silently :negative:
Also listen to people complaining about the level of service you provide. Containers are one way to potentially improve this for certain categories of workloads.

Wicaeed posted:

Tell you what Devs, as soon as you share oncall duties with the TechOps guys, we'll start pushing code to production every 24 hours :fuckoff:
Do this as soon as possible.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 21, 2015

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here familiar enough with KVM to answer a few questions? I've been doing some research on it, and since I'm primarily a Linux homelab I was thinking I might ditch vSphere in favour of it.

I make extensive use of templates to deploy VMs. The only reason I use vSphere over the base free hypervisor is that I can't use templates without it (to the best of my knowledge). Is this a standard KVM thing? If not then there's really no advantage to me switching if I can't ditch a VCSA-style appliance.

Is there a go-to webui/client alternative? I know there are quite a few but as with most open source stuff the quality varies wildly. Is there an "industry best"-type app/webui?

I'll be completely honest, I really only use like 0.001% of vSphere's features so if I can eliminate VCSA then I'm good to go. I only use direct storage though so I don't know if things like VAAI will become more important once I pick up some network storage.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I get paid to work on KVM-based software.

There is no standard kvm thing beyond what qemu does (or libvirt+qemu does). You'd still need a management engine. oVirt is the usual recommendation. Or you can use image-based deployments (either raw qcows or an ova, which is broadly a template+disk) and customize with cloud-init.

But VMware can also do that.

General takeway which should be in the OP of this thread:

KVM is not a product. VMware is a product. There are products (and projects) on top of KVM, but "does KVM do X" is almost always "yes, as long as you use oVirt/RHEV".

evol262 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 23, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
in testing I found ovirt to be similar in functionality to vmware w/ vsphere. There were a number of advanced features missing (guest introspection, for one) but overall it worked well.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Still need a management engine, though, and the hosted engine (appliance or self-built) isn't functionally better.

If there's no hard requirement for KVM, Xen can slide with some solutions without a vSphere analogue, but it'll be pretty limited, and probably won't do templating that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So I'm setting up some brand new R630s to replace some of our VMware cluster hosts, and I ordered them with just internal sd to boot esxi.

Of course this means that VMware logging needs to go elsewhere instead of internal storage. What's the better practice, set up a dedicated vmfs lun and configure the hosts to write logs to that, or just set up the VMware syslog server? Storage is 10gbps iscsi.