Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think I like the op of the show far more than the show itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Fangz posted:

In this episode, alcoholism is moe.

7/10 daytime TV writers prefer non-alcoholic alcohol over daring the wrath of the censors.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Enh this is the only show this season I feel any particular urgency to watch when a new episode appears each week.

coathat
May 21, 2007

That was the worst bribery attempt I've ever seen.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

coathat posted:

That was the worst bribery attempt I've ever seen.

Idk I'd still take it over going back to faculty meetings :10bux:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So, the elevator...

Here's the thing, we don't know for sure that the killer actually took the elevator, only that it moved to the roof from the basement. That could just as easily mean someone on the roof called the elevator. That raises a bunch of other questions though. It's probably not circumstantial given that it was a cliffhanger reveal.

The assumption we're meant to make is that the killer used the darkness to sneak in. However, everyone would have noticed if the door open unless it's a super stealthy elevator door. It's therefore more plausible that someone else called it from the roof. If so, then how is that person related to the killer? Perhaps the killer somehow already got in and out of the room without being spotted, and was up on the roof when the fiasco started. Why? :shrug: Something interesting to note is that the elevator still worked despite the lights going out and the other shenanigans.

One final possibility, and it's more of a speculative theory right now, is that the elevator was moved by Deborah. We know that Magata had already written a newer version of the code than what anyone else was aware of. It's possible that she, or possibly someone else hardcoded this bizarre event to happen for some purpose, including the movement of the elevator. Breadcrumbs, perhaps?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What if what we are looking at is actually an escape attempt that went wrong? Look at what we might have, MINUS the murder: we'd have the tech go haywire around the facility, then the door opens, then the lift moves sneakily to the roof. Shortly afterwards, the director arrives in the helicopter. If Magata hadn't died, the rest of the lab staff wouldn't have been waiting outside the door when it happened. With the system glitching out, no one would have figured out that Magata was gone for many weeks.

Does the messages on the computer make sense in this context? Magata was anticipating her departure, and thus left behind the apology and a gift.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I might agree with you but the theatrics with Magata's dismembered body are too intentional and involved to be a lucky accident for the killer. The Director's murder could easily be construed as non-premeditated however.

Speculation: Perhaps the appearance of Moe and Saikawa threw a wrench in the killer's plan. Let's say that the killer has someone planted in the police whose job was to "handle" the problem brought to them by the director. However, Moe told the director to talk to a powerful relative in the bureau, which would have bypassed the plant. So, the killer had to take out the director before he could fly off.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Seeing as the corpse has only just started to smell, I'm starting to think the arms and legs might have been cut off to put the body in the fridge/freezer until it was ready.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Seeing as the corpse has only just started to smell, I'm starting to think the arms and legs might have been cut off to put the body in the fridge/freezer until it was ready.

Oooh, that's an idea. My issue is that people would have noticed that the body was frozen. Also, it would be unlikely that a regular freezer would be able to cryofreeze a body to the point where it does not decay at all. I don't know the science of it but it feels unlikely, although possible.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't think we really learned anything important this episode regarding the mystery except for the elevator -- which I think is a red herring. It may lead to another side-discovery though. For example, the elevator was going through floors, but that means the computer was doing xyz and that means that.....

I take that back. The very last part of this most recent episode is pretty key. Huh? Am I right? The director's wife. She's gotta be completely bat-poo poo crazy at this point having experienced what she did. The reason Magata's body was dismembered will be related to that incident. I think.

Why would you think the body was frozen? Google says it takes about three days for a corpse to start to stink. How many overnights have we had? Two? Seems like Magata was killed maybe the day they arrived or right before? Seems reasonable.

Also, Magata's company is a bunch of sleaze bags. It's interesting to think about though. They're on this remote island, with no police presence. Really, you could potentially do just about anything to anyone. Who would know if no one reported it? I keep thinking they should dispatch the police guy from Beautiful Bones to take care of this issue.

The sensei is going to run out of cigarettes soon. When he does', he'll solve the mystery -- if only to get back to a cigarette machine ASAP.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I take that back. The very last part of this most recent episode is pretty key. Huh? Am I right? The director's wife. She's gotta be completely bat-poo poo crazy at this point having experienced what she did. The reason Magata's body was dismembered will be related to that incident. I think.

Yea, I was wondering about that. If she saw everything, why present it as she did? A severe case of denial modifying her memories maybe? Or is she more involved than she presents herself to be?

Dan7el posted:

Also, Magata's company is a bunch of sleaze bags. It's interesting to think about though. They're on this remote island, with no police presence. Really, you could potentially do just about anything to anyone. Who would know if no one reported it? I keep thinking they should dispatch the police guy from Beautiful Bones to take care of this issue.

The sensei is going to run out of cigarettes soon. When he does', he'll solve the mystery -- if only to get back to a cigarette machine ASAP.

Actually that doesn't seem all that off-base to me. Companies cut corners to do business on a regular basis, it's just that in this situation both the nature of the business and the nature of the problem are both on an extreme scale.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm pretty sure that the aunt walked in after it all happened and saw what looked to her like her husband apprehending Shiki. Or she's the killer and is getting revenge on her sleazy husband and lolita niece. Do we know anything about Shiki's sister, by the way? Was she even at the house during the night of the murders?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, it could look like him trying to stop her.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Earlier speculation in this thread about a daughter make me think that a child is the "perfect insider."

Speculation: Magata Shiki went into isolation 15 years ago - the murderer (her child) was inside there the whole time. She was pregnant when she entered due to the creepy as hell relationship with the uncle. "Everything becomes F (15)" also seems to support this idea a little. The child could also have a motive to kill the director in this case, if he or she thought like Magata Shiki did at that age. She killed her parents to "release" them around age 15, right? The child's parents would be Shiki and the director.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I was actually thinking about that but decided it was too crazy and didn't say anything. I'll go for it's all an elaborate suicide to set up a "game" for the others after her death.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

One thing I noticed is we are cut off from the context surrounding Shindo deciding to go for the knife. Based on his conversation with Shiki about being tied down I think the being "free" isn't about killing yourself, but about getting rid of obstacles to your happiness.

Here's where the mad guessing begins: To Shiki, she was the reason her uncle couldn't do anything. Whatever the original plan was, Shiki grabbed the knife from her uncle to make sure she was culpable and would be blamed for the murder, freeing him. But Shindo felt guilty, and so her plan got screwed up because he still cared about her.

It's possible that Shindo was going for "suicide via death penalty" originally in how he understood "being free", but it's still hard to tell.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This isn't saying much, but the English-speaking in this episode is some of the best I've seen to date.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

So Magata is the AI now? I think that might explain some of the anomalies it was having.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Demicol posted:

So Magata is the AI now? I think that might explain some of the anomalies it was having.

It's a sensory deprivation chamber you bozo.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think the whole Magata repaired the old t.v. by herself is important. My guess? The electronics were the parts she used to suck her soul into Matrix.

0xF is 1111 binary, so maybe there is something about everything going full on digital? I don't know.

Did that heavy-set dude ever have a lot of butterflies or what? Also, only one monitor on his desk. Totally broke my suspension of disbelief when I saw only the one monitor. He's not a real programmer.

Now we know why butterflies are becoming extinct though. This guy has them all in his room, mercilessly pinned in display cases.

I hope that swimsuit wasn't Moe's but that she borrowed it from someone. Also, was that a Japanese JR high swimsuit the female programmer was wearing?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

This isn't saying much, but the English-speaking in this episode is some of the best I've seen to date.

I actually intentionally covered up the subtitles to see how good the English really was, and I still could understand relatively easily apart from one or two words.

As for the episode, I don't think it's necessarily something like a full-blown brain-in-the-matrix thing, and it's definitely supposed to be ambiguous between being a product of Moe's imagination and an actual thing. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a human-like AI for the machines, because investigating the human mind via a "psychotherapist" type program would certainly be the type of thing Magata would do.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Haha forget the speculation, can we talk about Saikawa's shirt in the tank sequences?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Saikawa's shirt game is top tier in all worlds.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dan7el posted:

I hope that swimsuit wasn't Moe's but that she borrowed it from someone. Also, was that a Japanese JR high swimsuit the female programmer was wearing?

While it would be cool if Moe brought Lum cosplay with her I think thats meant to be the otaku's.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have no clue where the mystery is going but Moe remembering Saikawa being there for her was fantastically done. The cuts bringing it all together in the end were masterful, too.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Man i was really looking forward to this show but I can't seem to get into it. I get what they are trying to do by setting up this atmosphere and backstory but I just find it all so boring and uninteresting. It reminds me of Monster but without the interesting plot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as mystery/thriller stuff goes, this and Monster are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Seems like they've confirmed my sister-switcheroo theory. I assume this is where the gloves come in - Miki was the one Moe met, and she wore gloves so as to avoid leaving any trace of herself in the lab.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
http://baku89.com/article/2394 "Behind the scenes" of the ED by the guy who made it.

I really like when this show gets visual. Too bad the other 90% is like staring at a wall.

.Clash fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 27, 2015

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
Rather than the sister theory, I'm kinda leaning towards that far out, she was pregnant when she went in theory. And perhaps even a step further, noting that they commented on how young the body looked, that the dismembered body is neither Magata, nor her sister, but rather her daughter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

.Clash posted:

http://baku89.com/article/2394 "Behind the scenes" of the ED by the guy who made it.

I really like when this show gets visual. Too bad the other 90% is like staring at a wall.

I immediately bookmarked that and I'm probably going to spend my winter break rewriting that CA simulator I wrote and accidentally deleted.

As for the show looking like staring at a wall, yea I have to agree with you. This show has some rather lifeless directing and its color palate really doesn't help. No idea what to make of that Space Odessey epiphany scene though. At least it was more interesting than most of the show's visuals.

Pringleton posted:

Rather than the sister theory, I'm kinda leaning towards that far out, she was pregnant when she went in theory. And perhaps even a step further, noting that they commented on how young the body looked, that the dismembered body is neither Magata, nor her sister, but rather her daughter.

This theory is growing on me.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 28, 2015

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The directing and pacing is very lifeless, but the shot composition and framing is quite interesting.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm still sticking with my theory of the director's wife being the murderer. However, the idea that Magata was pregnant, had a daughter, reared the daughter in solitude, murdered her own daughter and then the father of her daughter with the same kind of knife she used to kill her parents, does have a certain sense to it.

This theory might explain the giant stuffed bear and the Lego (TM) brand toys in the room.

What surprised me the utmost in this episode was the reference to Unix. Who uses Unix any more? It's Linux, right? Am I right?

I would've propped all the doors open with heavy sticks or logs or something before switching operating systems, too. I would hate to switch over the systems and none of the doors work, and I'd be stuck in this metal and glass tomb forever or until someone got the OS reboot working correctly.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

is this show good? the op and the ed are great but i got bored cause the computer nerd didn't punch anything in the first 15 mins

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Condiv posted:

is this show good? the op and the ed are great but i got bored cause the computer nerd didn't punch anything in the first 15 mins

Sure, if you like mysteries. Mostly, I like the somewhat realistic character interactions and tech.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This show seems very confused about what happens when someone gets declared not fit to stand trail/not responsible for their actions, I'm fairly sure you end up in a mental hospital not 'okay you can go now'. Sure she ends up locked in a lab but that was purely of her own volition.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

This show seems very confused about what happens when someone gets declared not fit to stand trail/not responsible for their actions, I'm fairly sure you end up in a mental hospital not 'okay you can go now'. Sure she ends up locked in a lab but that was purely of her own volition.

Powerful people and money seems to be involved so I'm sure there were strings pulled.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Japan's system is different from America's system so how someone unfit to stand trial or declared not guilty by reason of insanity (I believe she was declared the latter of the two) may be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I am on my phone, so I can't get the link, but Vice did an interview with a Japanese cannibal who had been ruled criminally insane after murdering and eating a woman while in college in Paris.

He got something like 9 months in a mental institution and then was set free.

I don't know whether it's still that way (5+ decades later) but it's probably part of the collective consciousness at the very least.

• Locked thread