Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Agrajag posted:

i'd like to note that cig is stupid to allow anything more than just pre-orders + purchases of jpegs for their "game". they should know that it would complicate refunds/transaction problems/whatever the gently caress else happens with this melting/gifting poo poo.

I guess they thought: "There surely will be no refunds. I mean those are 'donations'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why the gently caress is it called melting

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Feels better to hear than the more truthful 'ripped off twice'

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Every article about Star Citizen needs to be adulatory:

Forum ignores are not sufficient:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:lesnick: RSI credits are like chocolate coins and the concept art is just a mold you can pour them into.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thylbana Nyx posted:

Working for someone who has a vision is often hard. You get in the way of his vision, you are not likely to be treated well. You can't meet his standards, you will probably be shown the door. You should really read up on Picasso if you want a picture of an artist and the terrible things they do for such beautiful art.

And that is what this is. Art.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
This article is a painfully long explanation about a painfully long development cycle that may or may not be yielding fruit in the near future.

SO GET HYPE!

quote:

THE SHIPYARD: Sharpening the Cutlass:

"Unfortunately, as happens in game development, the priorities changed again, as we realized that other needs at that time trumped the rework of an existing flyable ship, and as such around June the Cutlass Black rework was put on the back burner as other ships came through the pipeline. This is an unfortunate reality of development, as there are only a finite number of resources available, and getting more ships built allows other members of the team complete their work sooner, as opposed to slowing multiple departments as they wait on one team to rework the Cutlass."

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

He / she is one of the biggest boneheads over there, staggeringly bafflingly loving stupid on every single level.
Basically CIGs core demographic in one person

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Thylbana Nyx posted:
Working for someone who has a vision is often hard. You get in the way of his vision, you are not likely to be treated well. You can't meet his standards, you will probably be shown the door. You should really read up on Picasso if you want a picture of an artist and the terrible things they do for such beautiful art.

And that is what this is. Art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7IxCQqP4lE

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I was going to make a collage of cats used, for shits'n'giggles, but that was going to take more than 30 minutes. 30 minutes I need for the video.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

This article is a painfully long explanation about a painfully long development cycle that may or may not be yielding fruit in the near future.

SO GET HYPE!

"It is not designed to go toe to toe with the regular multicrew ships like the Connie, Tali or Freelancer who dwarf the Cutlass not only in size but also weaponry and crew size. "

Then what the gently caress is it supposed to fight?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010
Given the thread a few pages back about the sight line issues, this made me grin:

This means the cockpit geometry will most likely be different than to what is currently there whilst we find the best compromise between them all, but rest assured: no more bars through the viewline!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Completion, I think.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The whole article is basically a microcosm of Star Citizen:

- They created a starship without any regards to how it would fly.
- They rushed delivery, multiple times, crunching before each release but ultimately having to drop something substandard.
- They repeatedly changed priorities resulting in nothing to show for all the work.
- They outsourced production only to get something that wasn't usable due to poor oversight.
- They have to redesign everything to accommodate mechanics that were finalized after it was built.
- They're promising it will be better once everything is fixed, but have no idea when that's going to happen.
- Their solution to all of the problems is to sell another ship.

gently caress em. They have no idea what the gently caress they're doing, they have nobody in charge who can manage worth a poo poo, and all they can do is come up with more concepts. The whole loving article is nothing more than a laundry list of gently caress-ups, broken promises, bullshit backtracking, and lame excuses. Topped off with a link so you can buy one!

Well the good news is that we finally know what Ben Lesnick means when he says something is a priority.

quote:

“Why are the prison cells on the Blue so small? Are those shelf things supposed to be beds?”

We’ve seen a lot of chatter about this, and as a result have asked the team at Foundry 42 to conduct a complete white boxing of the Cutlass interiors. We’ve made this a priority schedule item, and it will be getting started this week. (The ‘shelves’ are intended to be benches, not beds.)

What a clusterfuck.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 14, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Clownshoes Incorporating Guffaws

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

- They rushed delivery, multiple times, crunching before each release but ultimately having to drop something substandard.
- They repeatedly changed priorities resulting in nothing to show for all the work.
- They outsourced production only to get something that wasn't usable due to poor oversight.
- They have to redesign everything to accommodate mechanics that were finalized after it was built.
- They're promising it will be better once everything is fixed, but have no idea when that's going to happen.

gently caress em. They have no idea what the gently caress they're doing, they have nobody in charge who can manage worth a poo poo, and all they can do is come up with more concepts. The whole loving article is nothing more than a laundry list of gently caress-ups, broken promises, bullshit backtracking, and lame excuses. Topped off with a link so you can buy one!

Well the good news is that we finally know what Ben Lesnick means when he says something is a priority.

What a clusterfuck.

I'm enjoying Beer 2.0 - Broken and Bitter.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Surely all of the ships and their roles and strengths are laid out in a design document that Roberts finished several years ago. Same with the simulated universe and how you can be an asexual firefighter cat demon or whatever.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"It is not designed to go toe to toe with the regular multicrew ships like the Connie, Tali or Freelancer who dwarf the Cutlass not only in size but also weaponry and crew size. "

The priorities have changed. Right now they are to produce expensive JPEGs, not a cheapo actually flyable model.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Chin posted:

Surely all of the ships and their roles and strengths are laid out in a design document that Roberts finished several years ago. Same with the simulated universe and how you can be an asexual firefighter cat demon or whatever.
Not sure if the ??? thought bubble image or croberts_hand_gestures.gif is more appropriate here.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What a clusterfuck.

"It is not designed to go toe to toe with the regular multicrew ships like the Connie, Tali or Freelancer who dwarf the Cutlass not only in size but also weaponry and crew size. The Cutlass sits in a role that can bridge the single seater and low end multicrew ship roles and function in either camp or somewhere in the middle."

now it is not designed to go toe to toe from a Freelancer, yay! lol

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Eldragon posted:

I'm enjoying Beer 2.0 - Broken and Bitter.

same

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Omi-Polari posted:

This person is on drugs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So what they are saying us that the cutlass is supposed to be some sort of space Toyota Hilux, but they somehow ended up with a space Subaru Baja? poo poo happens.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Does it seem weird to anyone else that they are making all the ships first and then the gameplay environment? Like why not make one fighter, one medium multicrew, and one large multicrew and let that be it for a while while you get everything else working. Then when you are happy with the technical aspects you go into hiring overdrive on the artists and pump out assets.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Amarcarts posted:

Does it seem weird to anyone else that they are making all the ships first and then the gameplay environment? Like why not make one fighter, one medium multicrew, and one large multicrew and let that be it for a while while you get everything else working. Then when you are happy with the technical aspects you go into hiring overdrive on the artists and pump out assets.

That would make sense. Have you read any of this?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

theultimo posted:

gently caress otterboxes
My otterbox has saved my phone 50 times over, best hundred bucks I ever spent.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
More like failed artist.

You know who else was a failed artist.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Amarcarts posted:

I suppose you want the artists you hired to keep making art, to make you feel like something's getting done, while you fumble around with the core of the product.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm watching the Wing Commander movie, as I plug away at my own video.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 14, 2015

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Bootcha posted:

I suppose you want the artists you hired to keep making art, to make you feel like something's getting done, while you fumble around with the core of the product.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm watching the Wing Commander movie, as I plug away at my own video.

That movie never existed.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Amarcarts posted:

That's actually how things started. The Hornet (military fighter), 300i (transport/luxury), and Aurora (basic model) were built and rigged for flight first. Then they started adding in the other models (m50/350r added for the racing module), first pass on the Cutlass (pirate transport) and slowly added a few others (I stopped paying attention for awhile).

Now that they have all the systems necessary for multicrew to work (supposedly in AC 2.0), they're releasing the first medium multicrew ships (Retaliator, which was the spec model, and Connie) which are the two ships that they did all their testing for Multicrew system design and interface on. This'll be followed by the Freelancer (multicrew small) and the Idris (multicrew large).

Supposedly, of course. None of this is out in a public build, though testers are being drawn into the AC 2.0 testing release. So some people are getting to fly them, much like how SuperTesters group works for World of Warships.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The product has no core - it is a moebius strip of revisions on peripheral items.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FelixReynolds posted:

That movie never existed.

lol Chris can't win :negative:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

lol Chris can't win :negative:

I watched it ONCE at the movie theater, and never again. Uck.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

liquidating assets to buy more junk isn't as subtle or catchy

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Amarcarts posted:

They can sell the ships now and keep their ponzi scheme a float. There'd probably be less interest in ship sales If they held off on making ship models.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

trucutru posted:

So what they are saying us that the cutlass is supposed to be some sort of space Toyota Hilux, but they somehow ended up with a space Subaru Baja? poo poo happens.

I liked my Baja :negative:
also kind of liked my dead gay cutlass

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Loiosh posted:

not ever after the fmv poo poo

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best bit was on reverse the verse when :lesnick: was talking about the Cutlass thread and bitching about angry jerks only being there to be angry jerks, how stupid it was when they were referring to him as a "bond villain". Which to be fair is ridiculous as I expect Bond villains have much better planning and scheduling on their projects.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Loiosh posted:

The opening credits were pretty dope, but that's mostly because of David Arnold's score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

The opening credits were pretty dope, but that's mostly because of David Arnold's score.

I didn't want to say it, but yeah. That was the best part, I still remember them. Also, I liked the translation effect. I've seen that picked up in other movies a few times, where the untranslated dialogue is shown, followed by a translation wipe.

• Locked thread