Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

lol, people who don't think cops don't have the right to beat the poo poo out of a kid that comes in swinging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hail Satan

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm going to hell

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

take me satan take me noooow

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I find it funny that the only idiots on FB actively against raising the minimum wage to an acceptable level sucked mom tits until 18/19 before they joined the Mil.

Makes you think

:shrug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I find it funny that the only idiots on FB actively against raising the minimum wage to an acceptable level sucked mom tits until 18/19 before they joined the Mil.

Makes you think

:shrug:

maybe its because your circle of friends outside of the military is self selecting to have similar views to your own? what a mystery huh

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

or because Mil members are idiots that sucked moms tit until 18 and the only job they've known is the Mil and gently caress those minimum wage workers

You join at 18?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You join at 18?
I got my first full-time job in the delivery room.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
are people, on the whole and not individually, actually better off if the minimum wage raises?

-layoffs
-price increases to account for the increase in costs
-tax increases to account for increased cost of services and/or government service reductions

just wondering.

also, its a pretty common phenomena for a class of people to get pissed off if the conditions of a class lower than their own is improved. human nature to say 'well my life sucks, but not as bad as theirs so im doing relatively well.' when the conditions that the lower class experiences improve, they get pissed because they are not doing relatively better anymore even if their absolute status has not changed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well it's just they're living in poverty and getting government aid so paying them min. Is costing us more and only putting it into big business etc whatever

vains
May 26, 2004

do the numbers actually support that claim or is it just the narrative?

i dont have an agenda here. i'm just curious what an actual economist might say.

im pretty sure that, in the long run, the minimum wage increase is absolutely meaningless. prices for everything will adjust to a higher level since, and with few exceptions, the biggest cost to an employer is payroll. housing, food, and energy prices will shift to the right as wages increase. maybe not, i dont know. i dont have a phd in economics.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Raising the salary floor via an increased minimum wage is not going to suddenly thrust the working poor into the middle class. It'll just result in increased costs for commodities as companies adjust for the increased wages and perceived spending ability of their consumer.

Oh my god someone help me I'm agreeing with Veins.

vains
May 26, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Raising the salary floor via an increased minimum wage is not going to suddenly thrust the working poor into the middle class. It'll just result in increased costs for commodities as companies adjust for the increased wages and perceived spending ability of their consumer.

Oh my god someone help me I'm agreeing with Veins.

yeah, im thinking that the poverty level benchmark will just be reset at a higher level as prices(and to a much lesser extent wages) rise across the board. bad for growth and bad for employment figures. a lot of people, and not just minimum wage workers, might end up losing their jobs.

and lol

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

People are delusional if they think the fast food industry would just accept a huge increase in their wages. They would shove capital into automation research and subsequently lay off their non-essential workers.

vains
May 26, 2004

we're on the verge of a major change in the basic fabric of society: automation and employment. not this decade, probably not the next but a jobs will begin gradually disappearing.

a wage increase only encourages companies to invest in automation technology.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

It's funny when small business owners who are in favor of the min wage increase go out of business because they can't afford to pay their workers and turn a profit.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
A lot of fast food chains are already testing or have implemented digital ordering/touch screens/etc. It's only a matter of time before the food creation process becomes automated and the only people behind the counter at a McD's are there to load the machines when they run out of buns. The workers demanding 15 bucks an hour will only help to drive up costs in the short term, and encourage companies to automate the jobs at a cheaper price. Once that happens the higher prices will stay, and people will still be paying for 15 dollar an hour now-automated priced goods.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Well it's just they're living in poverty and getting government aid so paying them min. Is costing us more and only putting it into big business etc whatever

maybe if youre stuck working entry level at a fast food joint and you arent a teenager, you should try to get a better paying job? theres plenty of work that pays better than burger slinger that doesnt require a degree

if you just raise the bottom alone, all youre doing is bringing everyone closer to it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

maybe if youre stuck working entry level at a fast food joint and you arent a teenager, you should try to get a better paying job? theres plenty of work that pays better than burger slinger that doesnt require a degree

if you just raise the bottom alone, all youre doing is bringing everyone closer to it

I had heard that it actually does help boost the economy in general due to increased spending power all round, but I can't find the article right now and it's nigh impossible to find anything on it that isn't hilariously political

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Lots of brilliant economists ITt

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Lots of brilliant economists ITt

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Quick someone put the drunk thread back on track and post tits.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

There's plenty of legit grownup work that doesn't pay much better than fast food, too. There's two sides to this and neither of them is completely off-base.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Pretty sure big companies have had the prototype Burgertron-3000 ready to go since like uh, 1993. They just need a reason.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Quick someone put the drunk thread back on track and post bears.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nice

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
Increased minimum wage will cause increased inflation and will drive up costs for everything. Not saying it wouldn't help those in poverty, especially in the short term, but those things would happen.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

:golfclap:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

USMC503 posted:

Increased minimum wage will cause increased inflation and will drive up costs for everything. Not saying it wouldn't help those in poverty, especially in the short term, but those things would happen.

Except that it really doesn't. Everyone can afford to pay their people more.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A-that's not true, and B-even if it were you really expect businesses to eat that cost rather than pass it on to the consumer? Have you ever left your house?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Yeah, independent of whether a business can "afford" a wage hike, just :lol: if you think they're going to let it cut into their profit margin.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 14, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i wish i could get the urge to argue about economics but holy gently caress i'm so loving depressed by this poo poo in france

someone goatse me or something to snap me out of this

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Two Finger posted:

i wish i could get the urge to argue about economics but holy gently caress i'm so loving depressed by this poo poo in france

Bend over in front of a mirror and stare into the abyss.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Two Finger posted:

Just load up a Mia Khalifa video and revel in the cultural victory of the West over Sharia.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Quick someone put the drunk thread back on track and post tits.

rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

Just load up a Mia Khalifa video and revel in the cultural victory of the West over Sharia.

the worst thing is one of my close friends is iranian born but now lives in the netherlands, and given the enormous reprisals that are going to take place as a result of this i'm genuinely concerned for her safety

• Locked thread