Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Amarcarts posted:

Does it seem weird to anyone else that they are making all the ships first and then the gameplay environment? Like why not make one fighter, one medium multicrew, and one large multicrew and let that be it for a while while you get everything else working. Then when you are happy with the technical aspects you go into hiring overdrive on the artists and pump out assets.

Bootcha posted:

I suppose you want the artists you hired to keep making art, to make you feel like something's getting done, while you fumble around with the core of the product.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm watching the Wing Commander movie, as I plug away at my own video.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"It is not designed to go toe to toe with the regular multicrew ships like the Connie, Tali or Freelancer who dwarf the Cutlass not only in size but also weaponry and crew size. "

Then what the gently caress is it supposed to fight?

Hull-A, B, Cs. Tougher things if paired with fighters.

Also this:

Chocobo posted:

My otterbox has saved my phone 50 times over, best hundred bucks I ever spent.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

She's probably cold. She's an extremely thin woman in a room full of fatties. If the room was warm enough to be comfortable for thin women, then all the fatties would be sweating.

I wonder how often they service their AirCon

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Amun Khonsu posted:

I wonder how often Ben eats beans

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bootcha posted:

I suppose you want the artists you hired to keep making art, to make you feel like something's getting done, while you fumble around with the core of the product.

EDIT: Oh god, I'm watching the Wing Commander movie, as I plug away at my own video.

you monster

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Not the same without the music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT8OU5WtfkQ

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8FXC9fODQs

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Reposting for a new page.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone else completely checked out? self.starcitizen
submitted 11 hours ago * by Stupid_question_bot

quote:

havent logged into the launcher in 2 weeks, havent been on TS in a week, havent been on the forums in more than a month, I dont bother watching any of the "information" CIG releases....

havent been happier in years.

funny story: someone at work said "it will be done soon" about something completely unrelated and i nearly punched them in the face.

This does sound like a happy person.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

illectro posted:

I do, but you seemed to be unaware that Frontier: Elite 2 included planetary access, seamless or otherwise.

Prior to that there was of course Starglider II, Damocles and a host of other excellent titles that provided spaceflight with planetary access.

Perhaps it means nothing to UC or LOD, but it's essential to things like Orbiter & Kerbal Space Program. Also, in the Infinity: Battlescape prototype it worked well, coming in from space at 20km/sec and using the atmosphere to slow down into the middle of a firefight. Flying like an aircraft for a bit while fighting, then fighting a running battle against 3 other players as I escaped into space and hit warp speed, the game is better for this 'gimmick'.

Now as to whether Star Citizen needs a 2 minutes+ on rails landing sequence every time you land, well... just remember that the Elite Design Decisions Forum members originally asked for 5-10 minute frameshift drive flights after hyperspace, it wasn't until after this was actually in the game that it got cut down to 1-2 minutes. Immersion is great the first time but gets boring fast.

And you got this impression that I "seemed to be unaware" from where exactly? I made a single comment about Elite Dangerous having planetary access. You end up talking about something completely unrelated. That aside from the fact that we're talking about ED having a vehicle ON the planet surface. Something that is completely and utterly different from just being able to fly into a planet.

And your argument is largely irrelevant and without merit. Seamless planetary transitions depends on the game. So I don't even know where this discussion about whether or not some games find it essential or not.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

You just got Derek'd

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Reposting for a new page.
Some expressions may have been slightly exaggerated to accentuate the tragicomic subtext.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bootcha's response when Chris called him to discuss his investment

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

No, I get that it's not unprecedented-- I'm just saying if CIG has made it policy to underreport transaction values on merchandise so as to avoid paying appropriate fees-- then it's yet another bullet point to add to the big list of financial misdeeds. A minor offense compared to many of the rest but interesting in that it reinforces their image of cutting any corner possible to make a buck, even if it heightens their own risk of later penalty.

Derek Smart-- will you be writing a new post? "Interstellar Frauds"?

Actually we've been looking into this one for sometime now. In fact, one of my researchers has been involved in checking the Chinese factories they use for this crap to see if they are sweat shops, use child labor etc.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
bootcha is a good guy, and doesn't deserve to be lionized by goons

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Actually we've been looking into this one for sometime now. In fact, one of my researchers has been involved in checking the Chinese factories they use for this crap to see if they are sweat shops, use child labor etc.

As interested as we all would be to find out Sandi is using child labor, nothing would come of it.

Stay on course and push the financial side of things, that's why you started all this

Unless of course you found out the child labor sweat shop was owned by Chris and Sandi from her time spent there

Lol which goon did this?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AP posted:

Which to be fair is ridiculous as I expect Bond villains have much better planning and scheduling on their projects.
But they are almost all terrible on the execution...

Huh, I guess CiG is an evil organization and CR is the bond villain.

Pre-op/Post-op?

Agrajag posted:

bond villains actually make soemthing

Correction: The Bond villains make other people make stuff, then take credit.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 14, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But they are almost all terrible on the execution...

Huh, I guess CiG is an evil organization and CR is the bond villain.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Oh Karl... :allears:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3so3ij/has_anyone_else_completely_checked_out/cwzh1xv?context=3

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agrajag posted:

To be fair, giving Bond a few papercuts with a printed JPEG of a laser could get him to talk.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Uh-oh, is Karl touching minors? Or was that just a metaphor?

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Of course you've been looking into this for some time

And sweatshops. As if that means anything. Where were your boxer-briefs stitched?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

D_Smart posted:

sent from my iphone

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Also while I remember Sandi said the Austin office isn't closing and plenty of people there as part of her fake humour act.

I believe from what Derek & that Bandit guy on twitter who leaked stuff too, that they are closing that office and moving to a cheaper Austin location and I also assume they shot 14 episodes worth of content in Austin just to cover that up. If that's true this intended deception by filming stuff to use later is only going to look more dodgy after the fact to anyone with any common loving sense. Unless they really did sign another year for that large Austin office just to prove Derek Smart wrong about something.

They're moving. I don't know why people just don't ask them - flat out - in the forums or in chat when they have these stupid videos.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

They're moving. I don't know why people just don't ask them - flat out - in the forums or in chat when they have these stupid videos.

They did, the questions were ignored

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I can't parse the "123123 get a refund troll" part of Karl's post. Is it like when you tell a robot something it doesn't understand and starts spitting out random words before breaking down?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I can't parse the "123123 get a refund troll" part of Karl's post. Is it like when you tell a robot something it doesn't understand and starts spitting out random words before breaking down?

I think it's his way of typing angry, like "OMG 111oneone!"

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

They did, the questions were ignored

Well, there's your answer then. If they were willing to do a video walkthrough of the new Frankfurt and Santa Monica locations, yet remain tight lipped about Austin, what do you think?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Uh-oh, is Karl touching minors? Or was that just a metaphor?
Hopefully a metaphor. One Seraph is more than enough. Rereading that, it's hilarious to see Karl call someone else a fanatic and a troll for doubting Star Citizen.

Why are you so angry Karl?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Well, there's your answer then. If they were willing to do a video walkthrough of the new Frankfurt and Santa Monica locations, yet remain tight lipped about Austin, what do you think?

But they shot 14 episodes worth of footage when Ben and Lando were there!

:gary:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh boy.

Derek Smart vs. Scott Manley slugfest. Place your bets.
:suspense:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

D_Smart posted:

To be honest, you can't really go after CIG for using sweat shops in China. Pretty much everyone who mass manufactures in some way will involve goods from those operations. This is why its funny when people were going off about Apple and Foxconn using them, when a very large percent of PC components are also made in the same way.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
even if there's no legal implication, it would be awesome to see Really Good Community Manager Jared explain to the fan-base why they decided to use sweatshops.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

He / she is one of the biggest boneheads over there, staggeringly bafflingly loving stupid on every single level.
Basically CIGs core demographic in one person
So I've only just scratched the surface and that they've made even worse posts?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sappo569 posted:

As interested as we all would be to find out Sandi is using child labor, nothing would come of it.
Chances are they're happier than the workers at CIG Santa Monica.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

To be honest, you can't really go after CIG for using sweat shops in China. Pretty much everyone who mass manufactures in some way will involve goods from those operations. This is why its funny when people were going off about Apple and Foxconn using them, when a very large percent of PC components are also made in the same way.

Yet most of them are not model/actresses or movie producers with hollywood reputations to uphold. Such a thing is anathema in those industries.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF posted:

Chances are they're happier than the workers at CIG Santa Monica.
The misery is palpable (unless you're Sandi):

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

The misery is palpable (unless you're Sandi):

They do not look happy in that photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

even if there's no legal implication, it would be awesome to see Really Good Community Manager Jared explain to the fan-base why they decided to use sweatshops.

Basically the narrative they can use is that goods made in China are cheaper than sourcing them locally, this allows them to put more money from merch sales into the game (or gets CR some more coke).

• Locked thread