Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Amun Khonsu posted:

They do not look happy in that photo
I slightly adjusted their expressions for comic effect-- partly because the episode was such a frustrating waste of time, and partly because Ben and Alexis do strike pained faces regularly during that show. Lando is more the smirking sort- except when he's being glib about bad news (as with his comment many episode ago about James and Alyssa "being freed to pursue their dreams" or whatever icing he tried to put on that turd of a news cycle...)

Honestly the only reasons to watch Reverse the Verse are to read the body language, listen to Sandi put up her latest breezy passive/aggressive defense of whatever goons have been calling attention to recently (and did she ever today!) or to read the twitch chat posts for the occasional zinger... (Or a special guest appearance by that persona non grata who was "freed to pursue her dreams" via getting yelled at and fired for suspicions of disloyalty...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

CrazyTolradi posted:

Basically the narrative they can use is that goods made in China are cheaper than sourcing them locally, this allows them to put more money from merch sales into the game (or gets CR some more coke).

This is what they've already said, but there's a difference between stating that your goods are made in China because it saves money and having it proven that you've been sourcing to a sweat-shop. Even if the one implies the other, people get uncomfortable once the conditions of labor are made explicit. For a company with such a public facade like CIG, it would become a huge hassle, and they wouldn't be able to simply hand-wave it away with "it saves money".

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

Basically the narrative they can use is that goods made in China are cheaper than sourcing them locally, this allows them to put more money from merch sales into the game (or gets CR some more coke).
And yet the constantly tell us-- surely truthfully-- that they don't make money on the merch and its "for the fans". It's done so poorly it's hard to imagine it not being just a big time sink and headache machine...

The non-black Black Conceirge Card is the highest demand item they've introduced in awhile-- $10, with delivery anywhere in the world. And once they factor in the various costs related to production, shipping, and customer supporting that sucker (with reships for misdeliveries, paying staff to answer 500 trouble tickets of the "where is my Concierge card?"/"why isn't my name on it?"/"why isn't this black?" variety-- they will be lucky to pocket anything. It's classic CIG-- creating a crapton of work and pain for their people just to provide the whales with a substandard token of their chumpatude...

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I slightly adjusted their expressions for comic effect-- partly because the episode was such a frustrating waste of time, and partly because Ben and Alexis do strike pained faces regularly during that show. Lando is more the smirking sort- except when he's being glib about bad news (as with his comment many episode ago about James and Alyssa "being freed to pursue their dreams" or whatever icing he tried to put on that turd of a news cycle...)

Honestly the only reasons to watch Reverse the Verse are to read the body language, listen to Sandi put up her latest breezy passive/aggressive defense of whatever goons have been calling attention to recently (and did she ever today!) or to read the twitch chat posts for the occasional zinger... (Or a special guest appearance by that persona non grata who was "freed to pursue her dreams" via getting yelled at and fired for suspicions of disloyalty...)

Hah cool. I lost interest in this crew after wingman left. He seemed a natural fit for the shows. This crew tries too hard to be funny and cool and falls flat, looking more like an attempt at a stooge act by sideshow bob.

Sorry any fans out there, i just dont like these shows. Maybe i should watch just for photoshop opportunities like this one.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Oh boy.

Derek Smart vs. Scott Manley slugfest. Place your bets.
:suspense:

What slugfest? I love that guy!! Did I miss something?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

even if there's no legal implication, it would be awesome to see Really Good Community Manager Jared explain to the fan-base why they decided to use sweatshops.

It's more than that. In my latest blog, I had posted a comment that Sandi made about how it was cheaper to outsource goods in China and were of better quality. This despite the fact that since pledge items were already paid for, doing it cheaper is a non-issue. I'm not even talking about the additional non-pledge crap (jackets, cups and such) they're peddling.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D_Smart posted:

What slugfest? I love that guy!! Did I miss something?

You're missing that illectro is Manley.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

I was going to make a collage of cats used, for shits'n'giggles, but that was going to take more than 30 minutes. 30 minutes I need for the video.

C'mon just do it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

You're missing that illectro is Manley.

After catching up on 25+ pages, while skipping over Karl's latest failfest, I tend not to look closely at who I am responding to. Thanks for pointing that out.

My comments still stand though. And I don't see any slugfest there. More like wires getting crossed somewhere.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

"Let's address the elephant in the room. There have been a lot of rumors swirling recently that we've been using forced child labor in order to produce more cheap poo poo to distract you with while our company implodes in on itself. Well, over the next few weeks, we're going to be rolling out some new media features to prove to you that things aren't as bad as they seem. For instance, I'll be giving a guided tour of our latest Chinese factory which is currently manufacturing top of the line MoCap technology for our sister company, MoCapAlwaysNeverNotMoCap. I also know that Ben's been up late working hard on a design document for the new suicide nets that we'll be installing shortly at every CIG studio around the globe. The truth is, nobody likes exploitation, but surplus labor has to from somewhere, and as long as the busy hands in Chun Si are happy, I'm happy. Anyway, that's it for now, back to you Sandi!"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart posted:

It's more than that. In my latest blog, I had posted a comment that Sandi made about how it was cheaper to outsource goods in China and were of better quality. This despite the fact that since pledge items were already paid for, doing it cheaper is a non-issue. I'm not even talking about the additional non-pledge crap (jackets, cups and such) they're peddling.
Better quality indeed:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Amun Khonsu posted:

Hah cool. I lost interest in this crew after wingman left. He seemed a natural fit for the shows. This crew tries too hard to be funny and cool and falls flat, looking more like an attempt at a stooge act by sideshow bob.

Sorry any fans out there, i just dont like these shows. Maybe i should watch just for photoshop opportunities like this one.

I have never heard a single soul declare themselves as a fan of that show.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

Mike Meaden (Cloud Imperium Games)

Nov 13, 16:25

Hey Everyone, 

Patrick is currently out of office to attend to a personal matter. This is just a friendly update to let you all know that your ticket is still in his queue an he will respond as soon as he can. None of you have been forgotten and we really hate sending out bulk messages like this, but it's really the best way to let you all know that your ticket is still here. :)

We are getting closer and closer each day to beating this backlog and hope that standard service will return soon. Please bear with us just a little while longer. 

Thanks,
Mike

CIG Customer Service. You've been personally assigned to someone. No we don't know where he is. But as soon as he gets back we hope to get to you eventually.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

This is what they've already said, but there's a difference between stating that your goods are made in China because it saves money and having it proven that you've been sourcing to a sweat-shop. Even if the one implies the other, people get uncomfortable once the conditions of labor are made explicit. For a company with such a public facade like CIG, it would become a huge hassle, and they wouldn't be able to simply hand-wave it away with "it saves money".
Lets be honest here, these are people who want to be able to have furry rape/furry sex with hookers/prisoners/crew members in their Space Second Life. I don't think they're really going to give too much of a gently caress about child exploitation in China.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CIG Customer Service. You've been personally assigned to someone. No we don't know where he is. But as soon as he gets back we hope to get to you eventually.

uhhhh

why can't they just, uh, like, look at people's accounts, and refund them the value on the account :psyduck:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Justin Tyme posted:

uhhhh

why can't they just, uh, like, look at people's accounts, and refund them the value on the account :psyduck:
They seem to be increasingly reluctant to issue refunds.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
and Patrick was never heard from again~

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Agrajag posted:

no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOO, i never gave star citizen money. i got a refund on steam after making a random purchase just to see the difference in response time and with very little effort on my part i got a refund pretty much 3 hours after i put in the request
Steam's refund system is pretty speedy. Their actual customer support stuff outside of that is pretty famously slow, but I haven't had any especially bad experiences with it personally. Thankfully.

Amarcarts posted:

Does it seem weird to anyone else that they are making all the ships first and then the gameplay environment? Like why not make one fighter, one medium multicrew, and one large multicrew and let that be it for a while while you get everything else working. Then when you are happy with the technical aspects you go into hiring overdrive on the artists and pump out assets.
That would require designing and testing the gameplay side of things as whiteboxes first, then performing an "art pass" on it to give it a sense of "place" in the game's world and fiction. What kind of moron does that?!

Chocobo posted:

My otterbox has saved my phone 50 times over, best hundred bucks I ever spent.
Have you considered wiping all the butter, jelly and lube off your hands before going outside?

Justin Tyme posted:

uhhhh

That'd require looking into the database, which as we all know is guarded by a ferocious Cerberus that really, really hates MySQL queries.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
If they worried half as much about revamping toilets and selling new ships we would have a game now

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

and Patrick was never heard from again~
"Run to Frontier, Patrick-- their ticket queues are only hours long, not weeks-- and you might still have a job there by this time next year!"

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Business 3000 AD: Why saving money is a non-issue

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Mirificus posted:

Better quality indeed:

is that a popsicle

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Maldoror posted:

is that a popsicle

you can put it in your mouth, sure. real connoisseurs shove it down their urethra

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Maldoror posted:

is that a popsicle

Its a poopsicle

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

like, what does it even matter what is gifted or what isn't or the nature of whatever it is on your account or not... how is it different than getting something from Wal-Mart as a gift and returning it to the store, you know, something that happens all the time at Christmastime? There is no defense or logical explanation for why CIG is picking and choosing what to refund.

"Sorry sir, you cannot return this toaster, because you were not the original purchaser of this toaster. You need to return it back to the other person and have them return it for you!"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

The Kins posted:

Have you considered wiping all the butter, jelly and lube off your hands before going outside?
It's mostly being saved from dirt, sawdust, hydraulic oil, and falls.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Justin Tyme posted:

like, what does it even matter what is gifted or what isn't or the nature of whatever it is on your account or not... how is it different than getting something from Wal-Mart as a gift and returning it to the store, you know, something that happens all the time at Christmastime? There is no defense or logical explanation for why CIG is picking and choosing what to refund.

"Sorry sir, you cannot return this toaster, because you were not the original purchaser of this toaster. You need to return it back to the other person and have them return it for you!"

Because then Star Citizen becomes more of a platform for real money trading (and money laundering), and the government will come sniffing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Conspiratiorist posted:

Because then Star Citizen becomes more of a platform for real money trading (and money laundering), and the government will come sniffing.

To be fair, money laundering and tax avoidance using old-school JPEG-like paintings is a venerable worldwide institution.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

edit: like backing SC I have to ask myself "why the gently caress did I do that?"

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

D_Smart posted:

And you got this impression that I "seemed to be unaware" from where exactly? I made a single comment about Elite Dangerous having planetary access. You end up talking about something completely unrelated. That aside from the fact that we're talking about ED having a vehicle ON the planet surface. Something that is completely and utterly different from just being able to fly into a planet.

And your argument is largely irrelevant and without merit. Seamless planetary transitions depends on the game. So I don't even know where this discussion about whether or not some games find it essential or not.

Actually i think scott was completely on point here. Because you were talking about nobody having done procedural planetary generation with seamless space to planet access in meaning-full way.

D_Smart posted:

You do realize that I was talking about PLANETARY ACCESS and not SEAMLESS TRANSITIONS right? Newsflash: they ARE different subjects

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

And seamless space<->planetary transition is a tech novelty and doesn't add ANYTHING to a game. At all.

as example ksp has launch from earth to another planet theres no loading screens during flight and i couldnt imagine it being fun with loading screens. The planet is procedurally generated and it adds difficulty to the game due to the fact that you want to land your spaceship on flat terrain. As a bonus ksp also supports launching a buggy from that landet spaceship (and horrible space spider mechas if you have infernal robotics mod)

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Raskolnikov posted:

edit: like backing SC I have to ask myself "why the gently caress did I do that?"

I guess Star Citizen will only be released in Neverland.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ShredsYouSay posted:

I guess Star Citizen will only be released in Neverland.

Sereph84 joke

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
BEHOLD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmUTCxK6tI

Just an update on the video.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bootcha posted:

BEHOLD!

Glottis, are you loco?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bootcha posted:

BEHOLD!

what the hell did i just watch

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Chocobo posted:

My otterbox has saved my phone 50 times over, best hundred bucks I ever spent.

Same, half my pals have busted up screens and I'm like "Why didn't you get a case dummy?" I love my fat phone

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

BEHOLD!

The beans. They cry. *sniff*

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Berious posted:

Same, half my pals have busted up screens and I'm like "Why didn't you get a case dummy?" I love my fat phone

you know that beautiful design? yeah lets cover it in ugly rubber!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Agrajag posted:

you know that beautiful design? yeah lets cover it in ugly rubber!

That's what my gf said last night

• Locked thread