Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Then go post Coldplay poo poo in the rap thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rear end Catchcum posted:

Jesus Christ Bono man I can't tell if you're 45 or 14.

I was there since Coldplay was playing in small bars. I know how far their sound has reached into the indie scene. Don't test me rear end Catchcum!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I would definitely classify Coldplay as "Pop" in a broad sense, but they're fairly distant from the kind of music that's currently popular. Mostly just by virtue of, like, being a band. When I think of modern pop I think singers, rappers, DJs, and producers.

Also that new song is lame. It's just so "look, we're doing disco!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sir Lemming posted:

I would definitely classify Coldplay as "Pop" in a broad sense, but they're fairly distant from the kind of music that's currently popular. Mostly just by virtue of, like, being a band. When I think of modern pop I think singers, rappers, DJs, and producers.

Also that new song is lame. It's just so "look, we're doing disco!"

I don't even think they were thinking as broad as disco... I think they (Chris Martin the god himself) were thinking more along the lines of "JESUS CHRIST SORRY FOR THE LAST ALBUM AND ITS lovely MELANCHOLY PLEASE DEAR GOD SOMEBODY PUMP OUT AN UP TEMPO SYNTH TRACK ASAP!"

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Indie isn't charging $100+ a ticket and playing arenas on the regular. Coldplay hasn't been any good for a long time.

Moving on from the Mom rock discussion, seeing Sufjan tonight and I'll be front row. That's my humble brag of the day.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 12, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I saw him for the first time on this tour and it was amazing. Album of the year Imo too, or close to it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cheese eats mouse posted:

Indie isn't charging $100+ a ticket and playing arenas on the regular. Coldplay hasn't been any good for a long time.

Moving on from the Mom rock discussion, seeing Sufjan tonight and I'll be front row. That's my humble brag of the day.

I don't think you understand what a humble brag is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cheese eats mouse posted:

isn't the new Sufjan album mom rock in the most literal sense?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

lmbo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Coldplay CREATED the indie scene as it's known today.

So. There.

Hahahahahahaha

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Don't know if you could tell from the current exchange, but I wasn't being serious in the least bit (I do like Rush of Blood to the Head though... unashamedly!)

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Henchman of Santa posted:

:boom:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What the hell is mom rock

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xOOv_PTpXM

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
They're making a joke about the album being about his mother's death. Bravo.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
it's a very funny joke

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rear end Catchcum posted:

They're making a joke about the album being about his mother's death. Bravo.

I thought it was about his wacky neighbors and their hilarious misunderstandings?

Man I've been listening to that album all wrong.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

My mom got an ipod to fill with Harry Potter audiobooks, so I guess it's that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Kishi Bashi just put out a recording of some of his songs, as backed by a string quartet. It's also a live album so idk if that's yall's thing or not but it's good. Here's a stream.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/album-preview/kishi-bashi-string-quartet-live

Also if you get a chance, see him live. His entire show is like 75% improv with a loop pedal and it is pretty amazing to see

Dodecalypse fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 13, 2015

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
So I bought The Cure floor tickets yesterday, where the gently caress do I go to post about that?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

T Bowl posted:

So I bought The Cure floor tickets yesterday, where the gently caress do I go to post about that?

Dad rock thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

T Bowl posted:

Nice! I'm waiting for my city's date to go on sale :hfive:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

T Bowl posted:

I think there's actually a goth thread somewhere

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Man, I gotta say I was really let down by the El Vy record.

No Time to Crank the Sun is great, but otherwise I feel like it just totally missed the mark.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

BonoMan posted:

Man, I gotta say I was really let down by the El Vy record.

No Time to Crank the Sun is great, but otherwise I feel like it just totally missed the mark.

For me it's I'm The Man To Be and then a lot of disappointment. It's not terrible but not something I'll likely come back to in the future.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
On a brighter note, Daughter just dropped another single and it's awesome. My most anticipated album of next year for sure.

edit: Which reminds me. I'm a huge fan of moody-almost-cinematic music such as Daughter, The Antlers (sometimes), etc... any recommendations for other bands?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
That Daughter album should really be something good, yeah.

I don't know if this will exactly fit your ask for a recommendation but an album that came out recently that has at least some of that feel is Dealer by Foxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPzmJpiOAiY

Your friend and mine Mr. Needle Drop panned it so the comments are kinda messy. Never Read the Comments, etc etc

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThatsMyBoye posted:

That Daughter album should really be something good, yeah.

I don't know if this will exactly fit your ask for a recommendation but an album that came out recently that has at least some of that feel is Dealer by Foxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPzmJpiOAiY

Your friend and mine Mr. Needle Drop panned it so the comments are kinda messy. Never Read the Comments, etc etc

I'm digging it so far, thanks!

Also like your av. Alligator is their best album.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
That new Foxing album took me completely by surprise, and I have been really enjoying it. If you can get past the main singer's weird falsetto, I always felt Wild Beasts kinda fit the Antlers aesthetic for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Polish Pirate posted:

That new Foxing album took me completely by surprise, and I have been really enjoying it. If you can get past the main singer's weird falsetto, I always felt Wild Beasts kinda fit the Antlers aesthetic for me.

Get past it? It's one of the best things about them.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Wild Beasts are miles ahead of The Antlers in basically every way possible.

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

T Bowl posted:

Wild Beasts are miles ahead of The Antlers in basically every way possible.

Aside from Hospice being way better than anything Wild Beasts have put out, sure.

Really like that Foxing album, though, so thanks for the tip.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

CORGI ORGY posted:

Aside from Hospice being way better than anything Wild Beasts have put out, sure.

Really like that Foxing album, though, so thanks for the tip.

Hospice isn't even close to any of their albums except maybe their first. Way more complex production, way better written songs, the only thing it maybe has is the lyrics.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dodecalypse posted:

Kishi Bashi just put out a recording of some of his songs, as backed by a string quartet. It's also a live album so idk if that's yall's thing or not but it's good. Here's a stream.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/album-preview/kishi-bashi-string-quartet-live

Also if you get a chance, see him live. His entire show is like 75% improv with a loop pedal and it is pretty amazing to see

This is super good

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Slandible posted:

Dad rock thread.

You shut your loving mouth.

T Bowl posted:

Got tickets to 2 of their Madison Square Garden nights myself. Wasn't completely happy with the location I got in the first night's presale and got much better when I tried again for the second night. Either gonna see both or sell my tickets to the first night, can't decide. Gonna have me a fantastic birthday weekend this year either way!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You fucks need to fly out to LA and see the cure at the hollywood bowl.

That is all.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

incoherent posted:

That is all.

I looked. $800 tickets.

We now have lawn seats AND good seats for the local show. :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

incoherent posted:

That is all.
Didn't it sell out the day they went on sale? Fortunately my city's date doesn't go on sale until Friday which is payday for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

All 3 days are almost sold out, the only open spots are the 800-900 dollar box seats.

Waiting to pick some up closer to the event. I've lived here long enough I'll always find someone having to bail.