Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's what my gf said last night
Never gon' happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bootcha posted:

BEHOLD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmUTCxK6tI

Just an update on the video.

it appears to be mobile cat head battlestations.

hmmm

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Lol bootcha puttin more efort into cat videos than 300 people workin on a lovely space game are.
E: you should do a mocap version.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 14, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
WEEKLY DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

quote:

It was a tough decision to make in putting our efforts behind this one huge release because it always had the potential for added risk for delays in production but we know it was the right decision to make for good of the project because it will give us the right foundations to build upon for the long term. A Publisher might not have been so brave because they don’t have the BDCE (Best drat Community Ever!).
we suffered some unfortunate news in our Lead FPS Programmer falling off his bicycle and breaking his wrist! This certainly wasn’t in the schedule so with him out of action for a few weeks we’ve had to pool some resources from other areas to help pitch in with getting 2.0 out of the door. It’s certainly not what we needed at such a critical time in the project but these things do happen.
this sadly means that the build is not ready for public consumption yet!
Working on a fix where multiple ships going to the same destination don’t end up inside each other

Delays are good, publishers are evil, great stuff coming in 2 weeks hope the dog doesn't eat our homework again.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

AP posted:

Delays are good, publishers are evil, great stuff coming in 2 weeks hope the dog doesn't eat our homework again.

Yes, some guy falling off his bike is the only reason for the delay. I've had a broken arm and foot at the same time and I could still work on a computer, did he break his neck?!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

Foundry 42 just filed their accounts.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

AP posted:

Is this a real loving thing?

So let me get this straight, CIG relies on one guy working so hard that his absences would cause a 3+ week delay on a revision that is 2 weeks from release? It should be so close to ready that not having 1 programmer out of a crew of a hundred shouldn't even matter, let alone delaying it for 3 or more weeks if he isn't replaced immediately.

Anyone who still has money in this is a god drat loving moron.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

quote:

we suffered some unfortunate news in our Lead FPS Programmer falling off his bicycle and breaking his wrist! This certainly wasn’t in the schedule so with him out of action for a few weeks we’ve had to pool some resources from other areas to help pitch in with getting 2.0 out of the door. It’s certainly not what we needed at such a critical time in the project but these things do happen.
:ssh: Maybe he got fired.

Also their fps dev team has only 1 programmer? How hard can it be to find a replacement either internally or externally. (most likely ppl dont want to be part of this scam)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Someone please explain? Tia

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

No game confirmed

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dark Off posted:

:ssh: Maybe he got fired.
No, but with a broken wrist he can't sieg heil to Sandi's singing properly any more.
Although...
"If physical disability prevented raising the right arm, it was acceptable to raise the left."

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
We are very sorry for the delay. Our main programmer relies on his detailed notes to do his job, which he keeps in an actual notebook. Yesterday he had brought his dog to work with him. It appears, when he was getting an espresso, his dog decided to make a chew toy out of his notebook!

Don't worry, while the notebook is badly damaged, we can send it to a reconstuction expert. The reconstruction should take about two weeks. Ultimately we feel it best to wait until the head programmer's notebook is back in hand before public release to make sure there won't be any problems bug fixing and troubleshooting any potential issues.

Lesson learned! The programmer made sure to tell his dog that he was a very bad dog!

But here's the good news, the upcoming November ship sale isn't delayed! Get your credit cards ready! ;)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Someone please explain? Tia

You'd need an accountant to explain it but it's only one tiny piece of a jigsaw. I'm sure someone will correct me but it looks like F42 spent half a million on computer/office equipment. Intend to write the office equipment off after three years and the computer equipment in two.

F42 are owed over a million that should arrive within the next year, (I'd assume all from CIG/RSI for work done unless they are earning money some other way), they owe ~500k they have to pay out also within 12 months and F42 has 650k in cash.

Or to put it another way, if CIG went bust tomorrow, F42 would still be owed 1 million, which would cover the 500k they owe others and have 650k in cash so Erin Roberts is doing well. But it's not that simple as CIG or RSI own F42 I think so it all gets very complicated.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 14, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Barnsy posted:

Yes, some guy falling off his bike is the only reason for the delay. I've had a broken arm and foot at the same time and I could still work on a computer, did he break his neck?!

FFS a $100 million dollar company ground to a halt because one man broke his wrist. If he was so vital couldn't they assign a puppet to him to write whatever code he dictated?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Good thinking, guy who "fell off his bycicle" and broke his wrist. You should be able to ride this out until the christmas break, and than the new job you've had lined up for months will start. You've made it! Please give Patrick an enthusiastic high-five from the other side of the finish line. Proud of both of you.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
"Broke" his "wrist", of course. This is a completely acceptable excuse.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

You'd need accounts for all their other myriad affiliated companies to draw any conclusions. This does suggest that they keep some records and hired an accountant, though, so in that sense I guess it's pretty positive?

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
How long until they force some poor schlub to stop by Around the Verse with a wrist brace on?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

Lead FPS Programmer: Chris I need to tell you that the FPS is not ready to be launch in the time frame you have stated

Chris: OK, tell me are you going home using your bicycle today?

Lead FPS Programmer: Yes

Chris: Good.....

after that conversation that is the last time we heard about the Lead FPS Programmer

Swedish Mafia!

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 14, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Your thinking is that Sandi had the patience to not just pull out the baseball bat there and then?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

punchymcpunch posted:

You'd need accounts for all their other myriad affiliated companies to draw any conclusions. This does suggest that they keep some records and hired an accountant, though, so in that sense I guess it's pretty positive?

I have no doubt they have accountants and know exactly the state of their finances, you don't create a network of a dozen companies by accident, to do it you must know exactly what you are doing. They just don't want anyone else to know.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 14, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The way the update is written, it sounds like the lead programmer broke his wrist the day of the update.

Doesn't stop reddit + others from automatically siding with them anyways :shrug:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

tooterfish posted:

Your thinking is that Sandi had the patience to not just pull out the baseball bat there and then?
Pull it out of where?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

The bugs in this game are so bad that we can't get a single clip from literally hours of footage. But we will definitely pull something out of our asses next week for the sale or Ortwin will have our wrists broken and/or loving kill us. Also, everything is going fine, just fine.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
For sheer entertainment purposes, I hope their excuses get more and more absurd. It's not like the True Believers are apt to complain.

Stellar Dispatch, November 2017 posted:

Faithful Citizens,

Galactic Calamity! The Vanduul have made off with Star Citizen's source code and disappeared into a wormhole. Only through YOUR intercession can UEE forces brave this dangerous tear in space and seek its return.

Introducing the UEE War Bond program! Available in $500 increments, these precious documents will prove your loyalty to your fellow citizens. If we sell enough War Bonds and CodeTracker ships ($850) in our upcoming sale, then there is a chance that the source code might be recovered so that work on Alpha 2.0 can resume. Only you can can give us the strength to make this dream happen. Do your part!

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Every day I see something even more ridiculous, and every day my mind can't comprehend the sheer lunacy. How has it come to this? I am living in a real life version of Idiocracy. The lovely, terrible excuses are literally the best part. 300-ish people working for a software development company, and one guy breaks his wrist, and the entire dev pipeline stops. LOLOL.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Also our main UI programmer ah, they had an unfortunate fall down an elevator shaft.
And landed on some bullets.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

punchymcpunch posted:

This does suggest that they keep some records and hired an accountant, though, so in that sense I guess it's pretty positive?

Unless like, they just made up those numbers.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Chris: Jim could you come in here
Jim: Sure Chris whats up
Chris: I am sorry but the lead FPS Dev broke his wrist and delayed AC 2.0
Jim: But I am the Lead FPS Dev....
Chris: I know, I am sorry. Go ahead Sandi, he is all yours.
Jim: No Sandi, NO!

ether
May 20, 2001

For the redditors reading this thread, an excersize in critical thinking, considering Lead functions in general mean making sure the grunts understand a vision and execute it accordingly, how is breaking a wrist a blocker (ugh) instead of an inconvenience. How can an event like this incur a larger delay then you'ld normally had until a deadline unless you would not make it in time for the deadline to begin with.

The way CIG/RSI is handling things reminds me a lot about the place I work at but with tons of public money and mocap madness.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Frankly, I'm just surprised we've gotten through most of a page of posts about a broken wrist without making a masturbation joke of some kind.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
cant release gamme

head of company at hostpital lost fingat post mote later.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ether posted:

For the redditors reading this thread, an excersize in critical thinking.

What would CR/CIG/SC have to do to cause you to lose trust in them?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
Are we certain he broke his wrist riding a bicycle, or was it something more ... questionable? There has to be a good reason the game isnt released yet

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

EminusSleepus posted:

Lead FPS Programmer: Chris I need to tell you that the FPS is not ready to be launch in the time frame you have stated

Chris: OK, tell me are you going home using your bicycle today?

Lead FPS Programmer: Yes

Chris: Good.....

after that conversation that is the last time we heard about the Lead FPS Programmer

Swedish Mafia!

entire company development grinds to a halt because of one broken wrist... ok. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

is there next excuse going to be legal ate our 2.0? (or whatever they are calling it now)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Maldoror posted:

Unless like, they just made up those numbers.

If F42 can set what price it charges RSI/CIG for work and all the income comes from CIG/RSI, then most of the figures are made up by the directors of F42 who also happen to be the directors of CIG/RSI. If you had a mate who ran an office furniture company and another who supplied pc's, nearly all the figures would be made up.

If there's 10 plus companies involved in all this, none of the sub-companies were directly responsible to the backers for supplying a game and all of them were 1+ million in the black, you'd still have millions to play even if they abandoned the game tomorrow.

Edit basically, I'm not saying it's fraud, I'm just saying if you wanted to commit fraud having lots of companies would make it an awful lot easier.

AP fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 14, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

It's pretty gratifying whenever it becomes known that our cross-forum trolling is still hitting its targets.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Thank god we don't have to worry about Ben falling off a Bicycle.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
The dog ate the computer mans hand, game is delayed indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
If Ben falls over just once the entire project is cancelled.

• Locked thread