Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's pretty gratifying whenever it becomes known that our cross-forum trolling is still hitting its targets.

This is entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
First thing I always do when I want to read this thread is check Bootcha's post history.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

AP posted:

The best bit was on reverse the verse when :lesnick: was talking about the Cutlass thread and bitching about angry jerks only being there to be angry jerks, how stupid it was when they were referring to him as a "bond villain". Which to be fair is ridiculous as I expect Bond villains have much better planning and scheduling on their projects.

Ben is lifting himself up pretty high if he thinks anyone in the Cutlass thread regards him as a Bond villain. Even the most generous review is that he's incompetent, a bully, a unreliable source of information and if he isn't a liar he's extremely comfortable with relaying information that he couldn't possibly believe is true.

But I haven't watched the latest Bond movies.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Deki posted:

Thank god we don't have to worry about Ben falling off a Bicycle.

We worry about the chairs though :ohdear:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

A Neurotic Jew posted:

If Ben falls over just once the entire project is cancelled.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 14, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

Ben is lifting himself up pretty high if he thinks anyone in the Cutlass thread regards him as a Bond villain. Even the most generous review is that he's incompetent, a bully, a unreliable source of information and if he isn't a liar he's extremely comfortable with relaying information that he couldn't possibly believe is true.

But I haven't watched the latest Bond movies.

Ben is as a bond villain as much as Sheriff J.W. Pepper is a likeable character.

:gary: *slide-whistle PAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrp* :gary:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

That's why they place him at the bottom of the stairs in the Santa Monica group photos.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben is as a bond villain as much as Sheriff J.W. Pepper is a likeable character.
:gary: *slide-whistle PAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrp* :yarg:
Who is J.W.Peeper?
That poor beast.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
the project is unable to be completed, not without your help, but you're not helping. why is that?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

1500 posted:

Chris: Jim could you come in here
Jim: Sure Chris whats up
Chris: I am sorry but the lead FPS Dev broke his wrist and delayed AC 2.0
Jim: But I am the Lead FPS Dev....
Chris: I know, I am sorry. Go ahead Sandi, he is all yours.
Jim: No Sandi, NO!
This but unironically.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's pretty gratifying whenever it becomes known that our cross-forum trolling is still hitting its targets.
Be careful, she'll sic her military husband on you. Unless there is another sister?!

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 14, 2015

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Unable to complete game, Ben's farts stunk up the whole building.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Who is J.W.Peeper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzCIbhLUUA0

:gary:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Matilda2013 posted:

What a poor existence this has to be. Like a broken record.
:ironicat:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Frustration continues to foment. It seems with the way things are going Smart doesn't need to do any additional instigating for things to boil over. If they fail to deliver a remotely playable PTU by the end of the year, and it's looking more and more likely, the base will fracture. Karl, The Wulge and Octopode will continue to think that this was all part of the initial plan, of course.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Just noticed that not even the other true believers like him. That must sting like hell Karl. :drat:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 14, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Did anyone say parpcoin yet?

e: wrong thread

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Karl is really really taking it personal, keep it up.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Out of curiosity I was thinking "what is the oldest single crew ship that they have sold but haven't delivered yet?" I mean, some of the ships they admit they couldn't deliver because they are multicrew but what is the oldest ship they sold and haven't delivered for no other reason than because they were busy making new ships to sell?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

MeLKoR posted:

Out of curiosity I was thinking "what is the oldest single crew ship that they have sold but haven't delivered yet?" I mean, some of the ships they admit they couldn't deliver because they are multicrew but what is the oldest ship they sold and haven't delivered for no other reason than because they were busy making new ships to sell?

Well technically the 300i isn't finished. Since it's slated for a big redo. For reasons...

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
Here is my cat FYI that balance sheet is all sorts of hosed up.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

Actually i think scott was completely on point here. Because you were talking about nobody having done procedural planetary generation with seamless space to planet access in meaning-full way.

Yeah, that's patently FALSE

My original post:

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. Which is why when everyone is going gaga over Elite Dangerous doing it, I am slightly amused. :)

Wait until the major graphics overhaul that I'm going to Universal Combat CE v2.0 (currently free on Steam) rolls out next year. It's going to be glorious.

Scott's post:

illectro posted:

You're also slightly forgetful, UC's transition from space to planet isn't seamless by any measure, something that Frontier: Elite 2 was doing back in 1993, Elite was the first space game that had realistic scale planets that weren't in a separate world space.

My post:

D_Smart posted:

You do realize that I was talking about PLANETARY ACCESS and not SEAMLESS TRANSITIONS right? Newsflash: they ARE different subjects

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

And seamless space<->planetary transition is a tech novelty and doesn't add ANYTHING to a game. At all.

Scott's post:

illectro posted:

I do, but you seemed to be unaware that Frontier: Elite 2 included planetary access, seamless or otherwise.

Prior to that there was of course Starglider II, Damocles and a host of other excellent titles that provided spaceflight with planetary access.

Perhaps it means nothing to UC or LOD, but it's essential to things like Orbiter & Kerbal Space Program. Also, in the Infinity: Battlescape prototype it worked well, coming in from space at 20km/sec and using the atmosphere to slow down into the middle of a firefight. Flying like an aircraft for a bit while fighting, then fighting a running battle against 3 other players as I escaped into space and hit warp speed, the game is better for this 'gimmick'.

Now as to whether Star Citizen needs a 2 minutes+ on rails landing sequence every time you land, well... just remember that the Elite Design Decisions Forum members originally asked for 5-10 minute frameshift drive flights after hyperspace, it wasn't until after this was actually in the game that it got cut down to 1-2 minutes. Immersion is great the first time but gets boring fast.

My post:

D_Smart posted:

And you got this impression that I "seemed to be unaware" from where exactly? I made a single comment about Elite Dangerous having planetary access. You end up talking about something completely unrelated. That aside from the fact that we're talking about ED having a vehicle ON the planet surface. Something that is completely and utterly different from just being able to fly into a planet.

And your argument is largely irrelevant and without merit. Seamless planetary transitions depends on the game. So I don't even know where this discussion about whether or not some games find it essential or not.

Dark Off posted:

as example ksp has launch from earth to another planet theres no loading screens during flight and i couldnt imagine it being fun with loading screens. The planet is procedurally generated and it adds difficulty to the game due to the fact that you want to land your spaceship on flat terrain. As a bonus ksp also supports launching a buggy from that landet spaceship (and horrible space spider mechas if you have infernal robotics mod)

Irrelevant. And has nothing to do with my original post or the scope of the discussion.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Traffic rank of RSI will be interesting to watch in the next couple of months. Hard to know how much of this is a picture of organic popularity vs. other factors (website redesigns, Google algorithm changes, etc...) But it is interesting to note that traffic had already dropped pretty notably before Derek Smart started his crusade in July.... (But on the bright side, RSI maybe got a nice bump on the Escapist story in October!)

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

You do realize that I was talking about PLANETARY ACCESS and not SEAMLESS TRANSITIONS right? Newsflash: they ARE different subjects

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of my games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

And seamless space<->planetary transition is a tech novelty and doesn't add ANYTHING to a game. At all.

ftfy?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MeLKoR posted:

Just noticed that not even the other true believers like him. That must sting like hell Karl. :drat:
No one likes any of Karl's angry German auditor personalities.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Traffic rank of RSI will be interesting to watch in the next couple of months. Hard to know how much of this is a picture of organic popularity vs. other factors (website redesigns, Google algorithm changes, etc...) But it is interesting to note that traffic had already dropped pretty notably before Derek Smart started his crusade in July.... (But on the bright side, RSI maybe got a nice bump on the Escapist story in October!)

Yeah to coincide with Dereks crusade was also CIGs Great Forum Inquisition beginning in July. A lot of us regulars were either banned or forced out by increasing Whiteknight toxicity reinforced by moderators.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

A disservice to post only that and not also his introduction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cODPt3T0cHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI0Bknh65mA

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

My original post: :words:

Scott's post: :words:

My post: :words:

Scott's post: :words:

My post: :words:

Irrelevant. And has nothing to do with my original post or the scope of the discussion.

:laffo: Are you this confrontational over every other mundane/small thing in your life? Holy moly.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mirificus posted:

No one likes any of Karl's angry German auditor personalities.

It's like he has purposely designed the least likable internet persona imaginable. Unhealthy obsession with niche interest? Clinically unreceptive to criticism? High volume/low content posting mostly dedicated to insults? Wilfully ignorant of anything counter to his personal beliefs? Puppetmaster defense all over? Check, check, check, check, check.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ragequit posted:

:laffo: Are you this confrontational over every other mundane/small thing in your life? Holy moly.

Out of 33 posts you made in this thread 27 are directly addressing DS or replying to some mention of DS. Just sayin'.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Out of 33 posts you made in this thread 27 are directly addressing DS or replying to some mention of DS. Just sayin'.

Is there some sort of metrics extension for SA I don't know about?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

I don't know much about the game so the CIG vs. DS drama is the only facet I am familiar with. Thanks for counting though! Everyone piles on the other SC idiots so I try to even the field a bit.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Lemmie get this straight about the expanding myth/legend of Bootcha the EVIL GOON INVESTOR.

So once I'm done with CIG, everything will be better because I'm out and CR doesn't need moneylenders holding him back and telling him how to spend money on his vision, right? Any investor has to be a true believer, right?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The idea of big brain is old movies and comics 60s.
probably when the biomechanical suit finish the brain and the rest of the fragile body they will be protected.

The Regig are from a system that rotates on a dwarf star at the edge of the known systems, this makes your land arrives very little light.
Have, very white and light-sensitive skin, they are thin and compact and with little force by the low gravity in their home world.
In his world temperatures are very low and there are seas of liquid nitrogen, the nitrogen Regig breathe.
His mental and cognitive capacity is very advanced, respect and study all kinds of biological life, it is common to see them with biomechanical pets created by them, they are curious and teachers of medicine, very resourceful.

The idea is to begin change face. Do you think should have eyes? in the case of them Would they be larger or smaller?
How is it powered? Need mouth?
Do sensory appendages on the face ?. for which

Please reason your proposals.
Excuse my bad English writing

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Bootcha posted:

Lemmie get this straight about the expanding myth/legend of Bootcha the EVIL GOON INVESTOR.

So once I'm done with CIG, everything will be better because I'm out and CR doesn't need moneylenders holding him back and telling him how to spend money on his vision, right? Any investor has to be a true believer, right?

Kmillion
Oct 22, 2015
I want to believe in this project. I have pledged a decent amount of money, have an Idris-M and a few other ships. I was hooked from the minute I heard about the game. Unfortunately, 2015 hasn't inspired confidence. What happened to Star Marine? Is that going to be released this year? The weekly updates have stopped and transitioned to AC 2.0 updates. It just seems like nothing that was promised in December 2014 has happened. Am I missing something? Has CIG commented on the delays or given an updated timeline?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

D_Smart posted:

D_Smart posted:

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

well i just answered that yes some games are doing planetary access with seamless transitions, that also are procedurally generated.

I mean its fine if universal combat doesnt have seamless planetary transitions. But seamless planetary transitions does add more fun opportunities to game, like chasing enemies from atmosphere to space or having to deal with emergency landing into planet. With loading screen your losing out atmospheric entry sequence, the speed of ship, position of ship etc.

So i think my comment was quite relevant.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ragequit posted:

No. I just don't like people quoting me out of context. That's how it starts.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

well i just answered that yes some games are doing planetary access with seamless transitions, that also are procedurally generated.

I mean its fine if universal combat doesnt have seamless planetary transitions. But seamless planetary transitions does add more fun opportunities to game, like chasing enemies from atmosphere to space or having to deal with emergency landing into planet. With loading screen your losing out atmospheric entry sequence, the speed of ship, position of ship etc.

So i think my comment was quite relevant.

I guess I have to spell it out that there is a missing word my in this line? *sheesh* even though the context was specifically about my games.

quote:

I have NO interest in doing seamless transitions because unless you're doing procedural planetary generation - which NONE of my games have EVER done - you can't do it. Period.

The context - which I thought was clear - being that you cannot do seamless space <-> planet transition without procedural generation. My games only use that for generating the planetary terrain, not the planets or the world they inhabit. Which is why they do not feature a seamless transition as the loading times, plus the memory footprint of loading all that crap would be insurmountable for most computer systems.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Kmillion posted:

I want to believe in this project. I have pledged a decent amount of money, have an Idris-M and a few other ships. I was hooked from the minute I heard about the game. Unfortunately, 2015 hasn't inspired confidence. What happened to Star Marine? Is that going to be released this year? The weekly updates have stopped and transitioned to AC 2.0 updates. It just seems like nothing that was promised in December 2014 has happened. Am I missing something? Has CIG commented on the delays or given an updated timeline?

Citizen, get a refund.

The FPS module has been "rolled in" to the release of the persistent universe - in essence, it has been cancelled.

SC's official position is that they will not be giving any more release dates on anything.

AC 2.0 is supposedly days away (just as the FPS module was at one time) but the bugs are still so game-breaking that they can't even release video footage.

High-level staff have been leaving the project for months now.

Get. A. Refund.

• Locked thread