Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013
"A chance to meet and greet Carly after her performance with any American Rag purchase of $50 or more!"

Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Buggati Biebs with another 10/10 song

AOTY

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

interpunct posted:

The day after selling out Irving Plaza in NYC, Carly Rae Jepsen will be performing in the basement of a Macy's for free:

The tweet from which I found this flyer had a single retweet and three likes.

God drat who manages her?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

God drat who manages her?
Remember when she performed at some terminal at JFK a couple months ago?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
it's weird because CRJ is someone who should be playing at Terminal 5, not... well, terminal 5

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Josh Lyman posted:

Remember when she performed at some terminal at JFK a couple months ago?

Her promotional appearances have made no god drat sense. The day after the US release of Emotion, she played an early afternoon acoustic set in a Brooklyn record store, did a meet and greet and then immediately flew out to Minnesota to do the same thing at the Mall of America that very evening.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Oh my god wait did she actually play JFK Terminal 5 that's incredible

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

interpunct posted:

Her promotional appearances have made no god drat sense. The day after the US release of Emotion, she played an early afternoon acoustic set in a Brooklyn record store, did a meet and greet and then immediately flew out to Minnesota to do the same thing at the Mall of America that very evening.

Having recently moved to nearby Iowa, the Mall of America actually has a poo poo ton of people in it at any given time.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Purpose leaked and it's good

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Carly Rae Jepsen should stop chasing the pop #top40 lane imo.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Purpose leaked and it's good

#RIPAdele!!!!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

From a couple of pages ago, but this is starting to get some radio play and popped up on Pandora a couple of times today, so:

This is literally exactly the same song as Problem. I should preface that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old-school funky beat? Check.
Completely random male voice on the chorus with the main singer pretty much silent? Check.
Out of nowhere horn section? Check. (OK this part actually owns super hard and more songs need saxophones and trumpets)

Also Ariana is more mushmouthed than she's ever been, good Lord.

EDIT: fun drinking game: take a shot every time you see the right side of her face. You'll get a lot less drunk than you think.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 12, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

From a couple of pages ago, but this is starting to get some radio play and popped up on Pandora a couple of times today, so:

This is literally exactly the same song as Problem. I should preface that this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old-school funky beat? Check.
Completely random male voice on the chorus with the main singer pretty much silent? Check.
Out of nowhere horn section? Check. (OK this part actually owns super hard and more songs need saxophones and trumpets)

Also Ariana is more mushmouthed than she's ever been, good Lord.

EDIT: fun drinking game: take a shot every time you see the right side of her face. You'll get a lot less drunk than you think.

Oh you mean like almost every pop song in the past year?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Oh you mean like almost every pop song in the past year?

Almost being the key word. Put a brassy horn section in every song. I won't complain.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Almost being the key word. Put a brassy horn section in every song. I won't complain.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2672913

come on in, we haven't been pop since 1997

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Carly Rae just slayed me. I am dead.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

every loving song on that album should be a single

also gently caress you interpunct I was happy with my spot until you posted that :(

(that's actually really zoomed, but Irving Plaza's a good venue and even halfway back in the crowd I felt like I had a good view)

also that makes two shows I've seen where Dev Hynes has just randomly showed up (the first was Empress Of), though this time I think only me and maybe 20 other people knew who he was

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 12, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

interpunct posted:

drat, some sweet lighting at that airport.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
Alright, I don't understand how I'm saying this, but I'm actually a Bieber fan if his future work turns out as good as Purpose

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DismemberedLemon posted:

Alright, I don't understand how I'm saying this, but I'm actually a Bieber fan if his future work turns out as good as Purpose
I thought Boyfriend was a decent song.

The chorus of "Sorry" has a very small part that's reminiscent of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amgGLLPd-Lg

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 12, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

DismemberedLemon posted:

He's a top 3 current artist

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I think it's making a minor comeback. Random top-40 songs I can think of in the past few years that had a brass or sax parts:

Mr. Saxobeat
Dancing in the Dark
Edge of Glory
Last Friday Night
Problem
Cheerleader
Can't Hold Us

Anyone have any more? I guarantee I'm forgetting a few pretty obvious ones. I'm explicitly NOT counting Jason Derulo's Trumpets, because that song blows super hard and it's inexcusable that with that name they didn't even try to find a real trumpet player and used the most obnoxiously fake synth setting.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

interpunct posted:

She needs to fire her manager and her stylist and her label and pretty much everything because she should not be performing in Macy's basements and wearing the least flattering "sexy" shirt and baggy-rear end high-waisted pants and her album should be number one because gently caress it's good and I can't stop listening to it.

We should put in an offer. This thread as a collective couldn't manage her any worse, right?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

her album should be number one because gently caress it's good and I can't stop listening to it.

Emotion and the Hamilton Cast Recording have seriously accounted for 85-90% of my music listening over the last couple months.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

forgot to go to CRJ's exclusive secret Macy's Basement Show but someone I follow on Twitter says it's basically empty, welp

I am just... baffled. By whatever's happening with her. Like we've made fun of how little promotion there was for the album, but the sad truth is there was some, she had subway ads and poo poo. But they picked a gimmicky opening single that just made her seem even more like a novelty act. Meanwhile, I had to pay $ludicrous to see her sold-out show, and I know that selling out a 1000-capacity venue in NYC isn't a huge accomplishment, but she seems to have a big fanbase. Maybe she should just pivot to indiepop or something; this album's been really critically successful among the poptimist crowd.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ugh if I want to see her I'll have to pay hedley too.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

aBagorn posted:

Emotion and the Hamilton Cast Recording have seriously accounted for 85-90% of my music listening over the last couple months.

are you me?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think it's making a minor comeback. Random top-40 songs I can think of in the past few years that had a brass or sax parts:

Mr. Saxobeat
Dancing in the Dark
Edge of Glory
Last Friday Night
Problem
Cheerleader
Can't Hold Us

Anyone have any more? I guarantee I'm forgetting a few pretty obvious ones. I'm explicitly NOT counting Jason Derulo's Trumpets, because that song blows super hard and it's inexcusable that with that name they didn't even try to find a real trumpet player and used the most obnoxiously fake synth setting.

Talk Dirty (basically Top 40) and Worth it (which is Talk Dirty adjace) come to mind

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

are you me?

Maybe?

(In related content where's the Broadway thread (is there one?) so we can discuss how amazing Hamilton is)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

I am just... baffled. By whatever's happening with her. Like we've made fun of how little promotion there was for the album, but the sad truth is there was some, she had subway ads and poo poo. But they picked a gimmicky opening single that just made her seem even more like a novelty act

She came third in Canadian Idol, then didn't really do anything that caught attention for close to two years until (as far as I'm aware) Justin Bieber started retweeting "Call Me Maybe". Would that song have become as big as it did if he (or someone with a comparable degree of influence) hadn't gotten the ball rolling? In any case, the nature of the song (and no doubt all the parodies) contributed to this image of her as a one-hit wonder or, as you say, a novelty act.

On top of that, she was about 26 or 27 when that song became a hit, wasn't she? Music is a cut-throat and calculating business, and I would quite honestly conjecture that she was just older than what promoters and labels want in a new female artist. The possibility seems remote to me, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I listened to Emotion a lot but I can see Bieber surpassing that on plays by year end. This is unbelievably good, holy poo poo.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Album of the year, easily. No question. Purpose.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently the only time I can tolerate Ed Sheeran's songwriting is in a Justin Bieber song

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Whole album is great, but holy poo poo is "The Feeling" fire.

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

The non-single material on Purpose is too bland for me to get excited about the album as a whole. The singles—aside from "I'll Show You," which is significantly weaker than the other three—are among my favorite songs of the year, but the rest of it's pretty forgettable.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

CORGI ORGY posted:

The non-single material on Purpose is too bland for me to get excited about the album as a whole. The singles—aside from "I'll Show You," which is significantly weaker than the other three—are among my favorite songs of the year, but the rest of it's pretty forgettable.

Same. Even that "remix" of What Do You Mean with Ariana Grande was disappointing to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CORGI ORGY posted:

I feel the same.

I think my main problem is that Bieber's autotuned voice grates on me like a celebrity who's had way too many plastic surgery operations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Album of the year, easily. No question. Purpose.

No way is this better than EMOTION. It's good but not extraordinary.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Something which I believe is pretty unusual nowadays happened in the British music charts this week - the new Elvis Presley album (some of his hits re-recorded with new backing from the Royal Philharmonic) stayed at number one... and increased its sales. That doesn't often happen these days, does it? I believe people were saying it was going to be between the new Little Mix and Ellie Goulding albums, which are at two and three, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dead man charting.