Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

AP posted:

WEEKLY DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

quote:

A Publisher might not have been so brave because they don’t have the BDCE (Best drat Community Ever!).
I cannot believe this is real.

Those cowardly publishers and their well known aversion to coherent development :argh: After over three years of development CIG trying to cobble together something resembling an alpha of a game that might launch within the decade sure is courageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Kmillion posted:

I want to believe in this project. I have pledged a decent amount of money, have an Idris-M and a few other ships. I was hooked from the minute I heard about the game. Unfortunately, 2015 hasn't inspired confidence. What happened to Star Marine? Is that going to be released this year? The weekly updates have stopped and transitioned to AC 2.0 updates. It just seems like nothing that was promised in December 2014 has happened. Am I missing something? Has CIG commented on the delays or given an updated timeline?

Conspiratiorist posted:

Star Citizen Employees Speak Out on Project Woes
Chris Robert's response to The Escapist
Bootcha's response to The Escapist

If this isn't enough to convince you that enabling CIG is a bad thing to do, then you're not only a fool with your money, but also a piece of poo poo.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I guess I have to spell it out that there is a missing word my in this line? *sheesh* even though the context was specifically about my games.

That single word does change the context of that sentence a lot, but i shall accept your apology :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Chin posted:

Those cowardly publishers and their well known aversion to coherent development :argh: After over three years of development CIG trying to cobble together something resembling an alpha of a game that might launch within the decade sure is courageous.
They have one of the most toxic communities ever.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

You'd need an accountant to explain it but it's only one tiny piece of a jigsaw. I'm sure someone will correct me but it looks like F42 spent half a million on computer/office equipment. Intend to write the office equipment off after three years and the computer equipment in two.

F42 are owed over a million that should arrive within the next year, (I'd assume all from CIG/RSI for work done unless they are earning money some other way), they owe ~500k they have to pay out also within 12 months and F42 has 650k in cash.

Or to put it another way, if CIG went bust tomorrow, F42 would still be owed 1 million, which would cover the 500k they owe others and have 650k in cash so Erin Roberts is doing well. But it's not that simple as CIG or RSI own F42 I think so it all gets very complicated.

It's simple math. If cash on hand exceeds ability to pay debt, they're in trouble.

As of this filing, they have $500K liquid. Which is problematic in and of itself.

Aside from that, they aren't selling anything. So that money being owed could be attributed to anything, including funding from one (e.g. CIG) of the companies, directors etc or just good old creative accounting.

The thing about it is that none of these companies have a "parent" or it would be in the filings. They are all individually owned/operated. Which means that if one stays in debt and goes under, it dies on its own with no effect on the other (14 found so far) companies. And the debt goes with it.

Once we see CIG filing, we'll get an even better picture.

However, they waited this long to file 2014, which means that we won't even see 2015 until end of 2016.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 14, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dark Off posted:

That single word does change the context of that sentence a lot, but i shall accept your apology :)

LOL!! Yes, you are right. I actually did'nt catch it until you re-quoted it. I just assumed that nobody bothers to make corrections since a) the original (and wrong) ones get quoted anyway, making the effort pointless b) the average Goon is smart enough to figure things out

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kmillion posted:

I want to believe in this project. I have pledged a decent amount of money, have an Idris-M and a few other ships. I was hooked from the minute I heard about the game. Unfortunately, 2015 hasn't inspired confidence. What happened to Star Marine? Is that going to be released this year? The weekly updates have stopped and transitioned to AC 2.0 updates. It just seems like nothing that was promised in December 2014 has happened. Am I missing something? Has CIG commented on the delays or given an updated timeline?

Sell your ships now. Minimize your exposure. Even if you end up still playing the game everything you "own" now will still be available through play.

The FPS module has been subsumed into a monolithic "AC 2.0" release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_zTVVG-WF4

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chin posted:

This is unbelievable. Unless "broken wrist" is an euphemism, how would it take him "out of action" for weeks? Okay, I get he can't code well with one hand, but is he really the only coder they have on hand for the FPS? And if not, why couldn't he come to the office, broken wrist notwithstanding, and help direct programming efforts/hunt and peck?

I guess I'm overthinking this and they're just running out of ways to say "sorry lol we late" at this point.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Kmillion posted:

Everyone wanted this project to succeed, There are plenty of people here who backed as well, not to mention Bootcha, et al, who literally invested money, as opposed to donated.

However.

Due to the complete lack of direction and waste of funding, its not going to happen, all we are doing is placing bets on where and how much destruction it will cause when it nosedives and crashes in a fireball.

and eating popcorn.

I certainly hope that there is a thriving film industry in Argentina or wherever they flee to.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/05/17/for-wall-street-fiends-looking-to-start-over-the-five-best-plac/

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 14, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What would CR/CIG/SC have to do to cause you to lose trust in them?

For me, it'll depend on the AC 2.0 release. If they don't make it by the end of December (right now they're saying it's about 1 week depending on how long the last 2 blockers are to solve), that's when I'll grow concerned.

When Derek first made his presentation in July, I was concerned, he noted the game was entirely impossible. His words: Without disrespect to anyone, I’m just going to say it: it is my opinion that, this game, as has been pitched, will never get made. Ever. from Blog 1. That made me concerned.

What I wanted to see, and what I've wanted since 2013, would be to see multicrew ships with seemless FPS transition. Now, after Derek's revelations they demo'd multicrew in (Derek's words) It completely solidified my opinion that this project is not only in trouble, but is never going to be completed as pitched. Pretty much what I said in my original blog back on July 4th weekend. They were touting large, near-barren AC 2.0 scenes going from 8km and up to 8.7b km space (which is a postage stamp compared to my game worlds btw) in size, multi-crew ships (which we did back in the 2000s, and which has been working in my latest game for almost two years now; also Star Wars Galaxies had that) with clunky (ok – it’s alpha, I get that) controls

If they fail to get AC 2.0 out. If it's a broken mess where I cannot get my friend to copilot a ship with me, that's when I will have no faith. I've mentioned this repeatedly, I don't go on rumors. I like to see sourced facts so I can evaluate for myself. If they are unable to deliver, for whatever reason, that'll be a factual failure for me and I will no longer be optimistic about the project getting delivered. One note here before people pile on me, yes, I've read every post. I tend to comment on those I have some information to offer, but I have read them, so you do not need to (again) point out that they have had multiple capture studios (5!) or are moving offices. I fully understand that is happening, though I do appreciate hearing from you guys.

So, that's my perspective on things. In 2011 I predicted a game of this scope would take over 100 million - http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=22187877#item_22187877 - and that they're reaching this goal with the expenditures they have is not surprising to me as I had a pretty good idea that's about where it would land. I just didn't realize someone else would make it happen, assuming it ever comes out, of course!.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Who is J.W.Peeper?

That poor beast.

You pass. Not an android.

Next!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

If Ben falls over just once the entire project is cancelled.

Well yeah. Haven't you seen Superman? That kind of shock could send the whole San Andreas fault off and put the main offices at the bottom of the Pacific.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Loiosh posted:

What I wanted to see, and what I've wanted since 2013, would be to see multicrew ships with seemless FPS transition.

This is basically a requirement for the two game modes to gel together. You cannot have loading screens in a situation like this because the situation you're loading into is so dynamic. It's inconceivable for you to get a warning that your ship is being boarded and then to have to enter a loading screen during which you're neither in control of your ship nor fighting via the FPS system to defend yourself. Different players would have different loading times leading to all sorts of weirdness, attackers loading into levels before defenders have loaded etc. It would be a disaster.

Genuinely though, are you expecting AC 2.0 to be released this year and to have seamless FPS transitions? I would be absolutely astonished if they achieve this given the complete lack of progress shown. To release something in December they would need to be doing QA and final polish/stability parses on it right now. There's no way they're doing that but have decided not to show us gameplay footage during these ridiculously empty videos.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
what a day

Bicuspid
Aug 18, 2008
So when I was interviewing for a job last december one of the designers who interviewed me had come from star citizen. And at the time I was like 'why would you not want to do that?', because that was when there was all this hoopla over it still, and his response was basically "the game will never get made because all they have is a premise and no ability to execute on that premise". I didn't end up taking that job so I didn't get to talk to him more about his experiences there but a year later it seems like he wasn't bullshitting about it.

Hopefully something comes out that's at least the multi million dollar version of rebel galaxy.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Chalks posted:

Genuinely though, are you expecting AC 2.0 to be released this year and to have seamless FPS transitions? I would be absolutely astonished if they achieve this given the complete lack of progress shown. To release something in December they would need to be doing QA and final polish/stability parses on it right now. There's no way they're doing that but have decided not to show us gameplay footage during these ridiculously empty videos.

This is what I'm expecting. In a -very- controlled and limited environment they demonstrated it at GamesCom and an improved version at CitizenCon. If they don't deliver it, that's when my support is entirely gone. I already stopped funding it back in July (grats Derek).

When I originally decided to support the game (after the Connie reveal), I knew I'd want to play around with a set of ships, so I set aside around $2k to try out things. Connie or two, Aurora, 350r, and I wanted a passenger transport if they decided to make something similar to my other love, Flight Simulator X. Commercial sims are my bread and butter, and PMDG airplanes (in FSX) + FS2Crew (simulated crew members and passenger issues/complaints) are my greatest love. So I planned to make the final funding donation a passenger luxury ship.

I haven't put in that last bit because I want to see AC 2.0 get delivered and be functional before I give them any more support. If I cannot have my friend join me, and the two of us have a good time loving around, then that's the end of my support.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Loiosh posted:

This is what I'm expecting. In a -very- controlled and limited environment they demonstrated it at GamesCom and an improved version at CitizenCon. If they don't deliver it, that's when my support is entirely gone. I already stopped funding it back in July (grats Derek).

When I originally decided to support the game (after the Connie reveal), I knew I'd want to play around with a set of ships, so I set aside around $2k to try out things. Connie or two, Aurora, 350r, and I wanted a passenger transport if they decided to make something similar to my other love, Flight Simulator X. Commercial sims are my bread and butter, and PMDG airplanes (in FSX) + FS2Crew (simulated crew members and passenger issues/complaints) are my greatest love. So I planned to make the final funding donation a passenger luxury ship.

I haven't put in that last bit because I want to see AC 2.0 get delivered and be functional before I give them any more support. If I cannot have my friend join me, and the two of us have a good time loving around, then that's the end of my support.

Hopefully you stick around post-discovery, whenever you hit it.

I mean you'll never get your money back now like you could a couple months ago but it's the thought that counts.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Regarding the wrist: It's a overuse stress fracture from having to shave the pubes off every member of his team at gunpoint.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

staberind posted:

I certainly hope that there is a thriving film industry in Argentina or wherever they flee to.

Fund Chris Roberts' legal costs! (Ending date January 24th, 2017)

Our Community's support in these trying times is continuing to humble and inspire us. Due to multiple requests, we have decided to include YOU our backers in our efforts to thwart the unfounded legal disputes that have been launched against our Chairman.

For those out of the loop we have temporarily lost access to our Santa Monica offices and our filming and motion capturing equipment has been unfairly impounded, in part due to contract disputes with disgruntled former staff. While we sincerely wish to thank everyone who has worked with us in any position at CIG and Foundry42 to realize the dreams of hundreds of thousands of backers, not everyone has been as gratious toward their former employer. Sadly, no recourse is given to us at this time other than legal action, and while this is not the Star Citizen experience that we wished to share with you at this point in time, an overwhelming majority of our backers have been incredibly supportive.

REWARDS
$10: You receive our profound thanks and will be listed on our donator section on robertsspaceindustries.no-ip.com/www/legal/donations.htm Thank you for making this possible!

$25: You will be listed as cc in one of the emails sent by Ortwin Freyermuth in an official exchange with The Escapist Magazine! Includes a pdf of the sent email.

$50: You will be listed as cc in one of the emails sent by Ortwin Freyermuth in an official exchange with The Escapist Magazine! You will also get a print of the email signed by a CIG staff member. Include $20 for international shipping.

$250: You will get to design a custom skin for one of your ships (no limitations on subject matter)! Currently a limited selection of ships is available for skinning, see list at robertsspaceindustries.no-ip.com/ships.htm for more information. Star Citizen servers are expected to go online again within a few weeks.

$1000: You will be a co-signer of our letter of apology to Dr. Derek Smart, ackording to a legal settlement as detailed in our June update (currently offline)! Requires you to come to our current offices in Frankfurt to sign the letter personally. Be advised that the letter is to be signed with your own blood.

$2500: Live the Dream! You get to spend a week with Chris Roberts in his new home in Detroit. Expect a funpacked schedule of bowling, playing PC games and perhaps a bag-in-box or two of fine Riesling :) Does not include transportation to Detroit. Also, bring a sleeping bag and some cash.

$10,000: You get to design your own ship! It can be anything you want it to be, and will be available only to you when Star Citizen alpha 2.0 launches. Concept art may be made available to you shortly.

All of the rewards are to be delivered by Roberts Space Industries, not by Chris Roberts personally. Chris Roberts is not culpable for any rewards unfulfilled by Roberts Space Industries.

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 14, 2015

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Hopefully you stick around post-discovery, whenever you hit it.

I mean you'll never get your money back now like you could a couple months ago but it's the thought that counts.

I will! I'll let you guys know what I think. I kinda lurk on SA because I'm mostly here for the LPs, but I've been fascinated by watching the slow trainwreck at CIG. It's pretty entertaining and reminds me of my days when I was involved with a telecom startup. The biomedical field is a lot less entertaining.

Though it will get more fun over the next year as the multispectral sensors get integrated into wearables. Thanks to a friend I got in early on that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

I will! I'll let you guys know what I think. I kinda lurk on SA because I'm mostly here for the LPs, but I've been fascinated by watching the slow trainwreck at CIG. It's pretty entertaining and reminds me of my days when I was involved with a telecom startup. The biomedical field is a lot less entertaining.

Though it will get more fun over the next year as the multispectral sensors get integrated into wearables. Thanks to a friend I got in early on that.

You seem pretty even handed and I am looking forward to your impressions of the game going forward

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm reminded of a business rule by Scott Adams: never ever ever try to be the first to do something. The vast majority of companies that try fail miserably as they run into technical issues and end up with a mediocre product nobody likes. The companies that succeed are the second generation adopters who get to pick up a now mature technology, fix the links, and put out a product people actually liked.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

The thing about it is that none of these companies have a "parent" or it would be in the filings.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

quote:

08 Oct 2015 Annual return made up to 24 September 2015 with full list of shareholders
Statement of capital on 2015-10-08
GBP 100

According to the above CIG UK Ltd took ownership of all the F42 shares on 12/12/2014. I'm not claiming any in depth knowledge of this stuff or to know what exactly that means.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Loiosh posted:

You seem to have a pretty healthy attitude. I'm looking forward to more of your impressions too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

It's simple math. If cash on hand exceeds debt, they're in trouble.

As of this filing, they have $500K liquid. Which is problematic in and of itself.
Someone help explain this to me who knows nothing about business.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Omi-Polari posted:

Liquid assets are things (like cash) they can be quickly converted to cash. Aka, Cash on Hand, shares, stocks, bonds, etc.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I'm still astounded even for CIG that they would actually use "one guy broke a wrist, the entire game is delayed a month" as an excuse. This is bordering on OUYA-level incompetence.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

I Greyhound posted:

I'm still astounded even for CIG that they would actually use "one guy broke a wrist, the entire game is delayed a month" as an excuse. This is bordering on OUYA-level incompetence.

Just so it's clear, they didn't say it was delayed by a month: This certainly wasn’t in the schedule so with him out of action for a few weeks we’ve had to pool some resources from other areas to help pitch in with getting 2.0 out of the door.

Just that is has an impact on the schedule until he is better. Oculus had something similar happen, though far more dire, in 2013: http://mashable.com/2013/06/01/oculus-rift-andrew-scott-reise/#pV_91.d01gqj :(

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Chin posted:

CIG in october:
"We reduced our staff to decrease redundancy. Nothing to worry about; this is a normal process and it will allow us to finish the game fast."

CIG in november:
"One of our developers broke his wrist and we have no one to replace him." :lol:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

A neat enough guide: http://thebusinessferret.com/key-financial-metrics/excess-cash/

In particular, this bit is relevant:

quote:

The final effect of holding excess cash is over-confidence on the part of management, commonly deluding management into feeling infallible. With so much money in the bank, what could possibly go wrong?

But excess cash is an example of past success, not future capability. Holding excess cash means that management can fix their mistakes with the cash instead of working their way out of the problem. The reason for this is the excess cash will bury the mistake so that in-depth analysis of the problem or failure is not assessed. Companies with a lot of excess cash consistently over-pay for acquisitions – in the name of investing cash – which destroys the company’s market value.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how much CIG paid to buy F42, bet the share holders of F42 made a few quid, the lucky guys.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is unbelievable. Unless "broken wrist" is an euphemism, how would it take him "out of action" for weeks? Okay, I get he can't code well with one hand, but is he really the only coder they have on hand for the FPS? And if not, why couldn't he come to the office, broken wrist notwithstanding, and help direct programming efforts/hunt and peck?

I guess I'm overthinking this and they're just running out of ways to say "sorry lol we late" at this point.

The story is he broke BOTH of his wrists. However, that brings up the question how the gently caress do you break both damned wrists?

Secondly, is this the only loving programmer on the team?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My dog ate my JPEG.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Darkpriest667 posted:

Secondly, is this the only loving programmer on the team?
Then again, that would explain a lot…

Omi-Polari posted:

My dog ate my JPEG.
At least they should try “peed on my Drobo” or something — that's a far more rational explanation for data loss and delays.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Are people who spend a significant portion of their day working on computers more prone to wrist injuries?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

A neat enough guide: http://thebusinessferret.com/key-financial-metrics/excess-cash/

In particular, this bit is relevant:

The solution is simple: buy more Cocaine (or is that considered to be also a liquid-enough asset?).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Darkpriest667 posted:

The story is he broke BOTH of his wrists. However, that brings up the question how the gently caress do you break both damned wrists?
He fell off his bike? A natural reaction to falling is to stick your hands out, so if he went over the handlebars I can see how he could gently caress up both wrists.

That being said, if you're hiring programmers based on typing ability you're probably not selecting for the right skill sets...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Darkpriest667 posted:

Fell off twice

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

All of you should be absolutely ashamed of yourselves. Trying to ruin the hopes and dreams of others. And for what? The feeling of being right? A great big I Told Ya So? A couple laughs? Don't you see that these people have literally nothing else? They're spending hundreds or thousands of hours discussing a game that doesn't exist. Writing fan faction. Making fan art. Getting into the twelve thousandth discussion about how the economy will work since no one has a clue. Imagining how amazing it will be to, just for a minute, cast off the burden of their basement dwelling, Asperger's riddled, poo poo tier job encumbered lives, and journey to a universe where they aren't pathetic losers, where they can be kings of the galaxy.

Oh, but croberts is taking their money and loving them over, you say. We're trying to help them from pissing their money away, you cry. The games never coming out so croberts is effectively stealing from them is your justification. So what? What the hell else are people like this going to spend their money on? Their pet bird? Another fruitless 12 month membership at match.com? Taking their mom out for dinner? None of that is going to make their lives any better. But croberts is. Even if it's only in their imaginations. If you'll just leave them alone they'll get at least another three or fours years of dreaming about an amazing world of interplanetary pirate rape, and growing their space potatoes on their space ship farm, and maybe some day being the #1 fat lonely nerd on the Arena Commander leader boards.

Sure it'll all come crashing down eventually, but in the meantime let them live in their imaginary fantasy world in peace. Just think about something other than yourselves, for once. Think of the hopes. Think of the dreams. Think of the autists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/billy_lord/status/665619377123893248

https://www.linkedin.com/in/billylord

• Locked thread