Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Are we seeing from Clara's point of view? Did that only start after she was inside the Morpheus pod? Or did I miss a bit where she got a camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

echoplex posted:

...there we go.

Be nice, that's where the money went!

I LIKED the b5 uniforms. The rescue team have a bit of a Soviet uniform vibe going on too, which is nice.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Not just Space Geordies but Space GLaDOS?

Ha, those guys looked like mini Ben Grimms.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Atmospherically I think it actually looks good. The smoky dark corridors is giving me Alien Isolation flashbacks.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You just had to say it, Clara.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I expect someone to find a BFG any minute now.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is the doctor stoned this episode? Why is he standing around reading poetry?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait, "we don't have helmet cams"?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh thank goodness, I thought I'd just missed an explanation for why we could see from her POV.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Calling it now: Clara wakes up and swears never to have a marathon Portal, Doom, System Shock and Alien: Isolation session ever again.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hahahahahahahaha, what the gently caress? Um...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That.... was not good. And the ending was like something Joseph Lidster would write.

I didn't like that at all :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

Hahahahahahahaha, what the gently caress? Um...

I enjoyed that. Not sure what happened at the end though.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
The gently caress did I just watch?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Interesting filming concept - meh execution - baffling narrative.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
err i don't know what i think about that

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I completely didn't notice there wasn't opening credits.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mr Beens posted:

I enjoyed that. Not sure what happened at the end though.

they ran out of script and just stopped

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Well that just didn't come together at all. Where was the tension? The suspense?

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I was really enjoying that episode up until "sleep dust", and then I started enjoying it less.

That ending was...not really an ending? Maybe I'm dumb but I just don't get it. The bad guys plan came together and worked, the Doctor and Clara did nothing to effect anything, if they weren't there it would have been the same outcome. Humanity is doomed I guess? Maybe it's going to get revisited in another episode.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Man I took 3 weeks off DW during this episode to go work on something less stressful (Cuffs) but before I left I did an entire Indo-Japanse alphabet and you never saw it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

A video signal that causes people to mutate into hideous sand monsters is a cool idea. Reece Shearsmith explain his masterplan and laughing wildly as he collapses into sand is loving terrifying.

Shame only about 90 seconds of the episode was about that, and the rest was people running round shouting nonsense at each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shearsmith rubbing his eye and it falling away into sand was pretty cool. Other than that..... eh.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Cerv posted:

they ran out of script and just stopped

Yeah it seemed like there should have been one more scene.
Doctor gets into the Tardis stating that he still thinks something is not quite right, he is missing something, bad guy pops up stating that everythign is going according to plan and is about to wipe out humanity. <missing thing> . Episode ends.

is this going to be a meta 2 parter where we get the conclusion in 2 weeks time? (next week from the preview is a different story)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

echoplex posted:

Man I took 3 weeks off DW during this episode to go work on something less stressful (Cuffs) but before I left I did an entire Indo-Japanse alphabet and you never saw it.

At the end when Shearsmith is tapping away on the computer, I didn't recognize the symbols on the "keyboard" - I assume that was the alphabet?

The whole episode had a cheap late-90s US sci-fi look to it, I'm sad to say, and unfortunately the story didn't really offer much to offset that :(

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Shame only about 90 seconds of the episode was about that, and the rest was people running round shouting nonsense at each other.

Well, we were told it would be a found footage episode. :v:

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012
Wait what the gently caress was that ending? There was zero resolution to any of the baffling plot and this apparently isn't a two parter...I liked the filming concept but gently caress me the ending was bad

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

echoplex posted:

I think you can see it on the console as Sheersmith was typing in stuff, assuming that's what you worked on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think I liked that. Meme virus, Lovecraftian dread/monsters, the slightly hokey "It's still out there!!!" ending.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jerusalem posted:

The whole episode had a cheap late-90s US sci-fi look to it,
this plus when the Doctor was saying that none of what happened made sense but for dramatic effect made me think we were about to find out they were trapped in some game show type experience.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Why was the opening credits missing? I assumed it was to do with the shaky cam gimmick, but it didn't? 42 was a much better gimmick episode.

There's a found footage film called Evidence that has a similar gimmick to this episode (without the sci-fi elements), which does it much, much better.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

At the end when Shearsmith is tapping away on the computer, I didn't recognize the symbols on the "keyboard" - I assume that was the alphabet?

The whole episode had a cheap late-90s US sci-fi look to it, I'm sad to say, and unfortunately the story didn't really offer much to offset that :(

I and a really, really good work experience kid did tonnes of labelling and bulkhead graphics for that set and apparently in my absence none of that got put up. Really nice, A4 labels in various kinds of golds and foils. Our setbuilts are always slightly cheap looking because a) we have no money b) we have no time, so what saves them is how they're dressed. Sort of gutted with how the corridors came out.

I think you're right, I usually do a run on the iPlayer after to pick out my work for the portfolio.

How good does that street set look for next week, though - dead pleased with that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cerv posted:

this plus when the Doctor was saying that none of what happened made sense but for dramatic effect made me think we were about to find out they were trapped in some game show type experience.

I actually assumed it would turn out they were all in pods/the whole thing was a dream. That would have been hokey but probably better than the ending we got (or rather, didn't get).

Edit: Also what the hell was with that one out-of-nowhere scene with the soldier having to sing for not-GLADOS. The computer basically never comes up again in the rest of the story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I noticed! It looked like Thai?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

I actually assumed it would turn out they were all in pods/the whole thing was a dream. That would have been hokey but probably better than the ending we got (or rather, didn't get).

My girlfriend said that too - having read the script I knew where it was going but its really interesting to see so many people get that idea from it.

I actually think this episode turned out stronger than the shooting script suggested it would, the atmosphere overall was really good. I will say (diplomatically) that I think Ep9 is the least-strong of all of them, and I think 10 & 11 are the strongest (on paper anyway), so I'm looking forward to the next two episodes.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Jerusalem posted:

I think the keyboard was due to that it was an Indian-Japanese built space station (the Doctor mentioned a calamity that made them the same landmass or something) so I guess it's a new language or just an existing one that new nation uses.

E: might have been Thailand, I forgot already, sorry.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

echoplex posted:

My girlfriend said that too - having read the script I knew where it was going but its really interesting to see so many people get that idea from it.

I actually think this episode turned out stronger than the shooting script suggested it would, the atmosphere overall was really good. I will say (diplomatically) that I think Ep9 is the least-strong of all of them, and I think 10 & 11 are the strongest (on paper anyway), so I'm looking forward to the next two episodes.

Can you explain the point of the episode and what happened at the end - are we all missing something?

Also I noticed another "Doctor says weird out of place thing relating to clara and death" - in the cold storage when the leader Geordie woman and Clara want to go back out The Doctor says some bit of poetry I guess? (bit of a theme this episode) about dying.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Should have just gone full System Shock I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RoboJoe posted:

I think the keyboard was due to that it was an Indian-Japanese built space station

Yeah it was, echoplex mentioned they put together a full Indo-Japanese alphabet but didn't think it was used, I was just saying I think it popped up towards the end on one of the computer screens.

• Locked thread