Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I like big sweeping epics with great sets, costumes, and cinematography, I'm certain to like The Last Emperor right? Everything I read about it makes it seem like that kind of film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Basebf555 posted:

If I like big sweeping epics with great sets, costumes, and cinematography, I'm certain to like The Last Emperor right? Everything I read about it makes it seem like that kind of film.

Yes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got a coupon code for 15% off at B&N, one use only.

MECPV8ZDMBB5L

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My wife got on this for the first time. She bought It Happened One Night and I got Day for Night since we both had 15% off coupons.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I have a 15% off code if anyone wants, just PM me it expires today! Canadian dollar is still too weak to splurge :(

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Basebf555 posted:

It's a big sweeping epic with great sets, costumes, cinematography and not only that it's actually a great movie too!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Went in for The Brood and Fantastic Mr. Fox (wavered between that and Moonrise Kingdom, but that's more recent.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having seen (and loved) Fantastic Mr. Fox a long while back and recently seen Moonrise for the first time, I think you made the right decision. Though Moonrise is still pretty darn good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I picked up Gate of Hell as a part of the big sale this month and gave it a watch. I'm little surprised this doesn't seem to be mentioned among classic Japanese films from the 1950's often because it's a pretty cool movie, as well as a Palme d'Or winner and it even has a few Oscars. The work with color alone is pretty amazing, and it's quite surprising how in a lot of ways it turns from a typical samurai film into some kind of weird, proto-Vertigo.

Anyone else seen it?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I got the Zatoichi set, and the first disc doesn't play right on both of my players. About 48 minutes into the second film, it starts skipping. I'm really disappointed, and now I'm paranoid about the other discs in the set, because frankly, the packaging is just idiotic. It's probably just a bad press, but still. I wonder if the disc could have gotten damage due to the stupid folder system they used.

I'm glad they stopped the dual format nonsense. There's no reason to have 18 DVDs with that set, and I feel like that led to them not using a jewel case like format for the packaging.

Well, I heard their customer service is good, so hopefully we can get this taken care of without it becoming a big to-do.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

the best part of it is the ryuichi sakamoto soundtrack

Raxivace posted:

I picked up Gate of Hell as a part of the big sale this month and gave it a watch. I'm little surprised this doesn't seem to be mentioned among classic Japanese films from the 1950's often because it's a pretty cool movie, as well as a Palme d'Or winner and it even has a few Oscars. The work with color alone is pretty amazing, and it's quite surprising how in a lot of ways it turns from a typical samurai film into some kind of weird, proto-Vertigo.

Anyone else seen it?

yes it owns. it's also the first japanese movie to be shot on eastmancolor. as for why it's not as canonized it's probably because kinugasa wasn't a very prolific director compared to his contemporaries. i like it a lot but it doesn't really compare to like, tokyo story or repast or ugetsu or ikiru or the human condition imo.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 16, 2015

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress yeah, the Graduate and Death by Hanging in Feb

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i don't really care about the graduate but it's cool how whenever they do stuff like it whips nerds into a furor about them becoming "populist" or w/e despite the fact that those releases are used to generate income to do things like eclipse sets. and yea death by hanging is one of the best oshimas. oh and and the kid too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Radio Spiricom posted:

i don't really care about the graduate but it's cool how whenever they do stuff like it whips nerds into a furor about them becoming "populist" or w/e despite the fact that those releases are used to generate income to do things like eclipse sets. and yea death by hanging is one of the best oshimas. oh and and the kid too.

Why would people be pissed about the graduate? Its a great and important movie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Rusty Staub posted:

gently caress yeah, the Graduate and Death by Hanging in Feb

and The Kid! More Chaplin never hurts.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

there are always tons of tweets like this going around whenever they do these types of releases https://twitter.com/NickAbides/status/666384390570774528

i don't disagree with you but there are tons of idiots out there who seem to think that whenever they do a hollywood studio movie it's violating the sanctity of the brand or whatever when it's pretty plainly marketing so that they can rescue and restore lost obscurities

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I, Butthole posted:

and The Kid! More Chaplin never hurts.

Kid is a day one purchase.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I was headed to the B&N sale when I decided to stop off at Half Price Books first and look around. I found the blu ray editiom of Howard's End for $20! Also picked up the BR version of Letter Never Sent. So yeah I didn't make it to B&N, but I should have more Criterion money once I offload HE

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Radio Spiricom posted:

But they issued the Graduate on laserdisc! It was one of their earliest titles. If anything, Criterion's getting back to their roots and leaving behind their "pretentious" phase.

How can anyone say that they are becoming populist when they released loving Ghostbusters on laserdisc! It was one of the biggest blockbusters of the 1980s!

If you're going to sperg, you got to sperg correctly.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I personally would love it if Criterion did a few more "blockbusters". You know for a fact that Criterion is going to spend more time restoring whatever they work on, plus you have incredible features. Inside Llewyn Davis isn't obscure either and the initial blu-ray release was barebones as hell.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The first Criterion I ever bought was The Rock and I don't want to know anyone that has a problem with that.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Criterion is a business and can someone argue that The Graduate isn't an important classic movie?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

A lot of these people got into Criterion during the DVD days. That's when the home video market was at its peak, and it was harder for Criterion to get the licenses to big and popular titles because the studios could do it in house and make more money. But now that the market is shrinking and changing, it's easier for Criterion to get big stuff again.

They never totally shied away from it, since they always had some big and popular films. But a lot of people think of them as the people who distribute foreign films and weird and small films, when they also were into releasing big films too. I mean, the Criterion Collection includes stuff like Seven, Armageddon (the last laserdisc they ever released), Akira, Pulp Fiction, the Princess Bride, and so on and so forth.

If they became an arthouse studio, it was just the nature of the DVD business at the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see a Criterion release of a great modern action movie like Die Hard or even The Matrix.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see a Criterion release of a great modern action movie like Die Hard or even The Matrix.
It would be really nice if Criterion---or anyone really---released a decent blu of the Hong Kong Woo films. The Dragon Dynasty discs are pretty dire. So were the Criterion DVDs, for that matter.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
The best day of my life would be the day Criterion releases The Master of the Flying Guillotine

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 17, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dr.Caligari posted:

The best day of my life would be the day Criterion releases The Master of the Flying Guillotine
There's a good probability we're never going to see a better transfer than the existing DVDs, barring some `pristine print found in a barn' scenario. The negatives are pretty much shot and the transfer used in the Pathfinder `Ultimate Edition' DVD was made using the best print available at the time. Any transfer made today, about a decade and a half later, would be threading the needle between reproducing lovely materials or really zealous digital cleanup.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Graduate release is gonna be dope and I'm gonna buy it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Holy poo poo, Oshima's Death by Hanging is finally getting a release on BD. :circlefap:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SubG posted:

It would be really nice if Criterion---or anyone really---released a decent blu of the Hong Kong Woo films. The Dragon Dynasty discs are pretty dire. So were the Criterion DVDs, for that matter.

Christ, yes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A good movie is a good movie, whether it's a big loud blockbuster or a tiny, quiet arthouse film. Criterion should be able to represent both IMO.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Raxivace posted:

A good movie is a good movie, whether it's a big loud blockbuster or a tiny, quiet arthouse film. Criterion should be able to represent both IMO.

Which is what they've always done too. Let's not forget they've also released this year such populist money grabs like The Merchant of Four Seasons, State of Siege, My Beautiful Laundrette, La Cienaga, and Jean-Luc Godard's Every Man for Himself.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

In an ideal world every movie would get a Criterion release, so I find it hard to get het up about any of their choices.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i liked that one April Fools Day where they were like "lol if you'd think we'd put out C.H.U.D. tho"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm still waiting for Kindergarten Cop.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Basebf555 posted:

What are some essential Criterions that aren't on Hulu? I want to maybe blind-buy something for this sale but I hate to spend money on something I could just check out on hulu for free.

97's Insomnia really intrigues me, though I haven't seen it. Anyone?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Red posted:

97's Insomnia really intrigues me, though I haven't seen it. Anyone?

I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it's better than the Nolan version.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Anyone else seen it?

I haven't watched it, but you've totally sold me on it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

friendo55 posted:

I haven't watched it, but you've totally sold me on it.

Cool, would be glad to hear what you think after watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it's better than the Nolan version.

it is, and just plain very good overall.