Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

peter gabriel posted:

I am logging in to play for a while

Good luck and have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TTerrible posted:

Does the constant use of "blocker" annoy anyone else? I don't know of any other project that throws that around so much.

If you’re actually in a game dev studio it gets tossed around a lot. Obviously you’re hearing it a lot in this context because the nonexistent game needs excuses for why they can’t show any of it it’s a big buggy mess that has blockers in the literal sense of “if you shipped a game with this in it you’d be laughed off steam something about an open development process giving you insight into the real no holds barred nitty gritty of the dev cycle

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
god lord its poo poo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

I am logging in to play for a while

Gotta grind some RECs

E: in related news, Grimes is p. good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 15, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

peter gabriel posted:

god lord its poo poo

Relax it's an alpha

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007
Reminder that one of the previous FPS blockers was that they somehow lost the ability to render crosshairs on the screen.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Loiosh posted:

That would make me happy. One of my biggest complaints with most of these games is that planets and stars are never their proper size. They're always far, far too small. Elite is one of the few that is accurate (according to their wiki), so this is cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kr7TliIWes

Though because of their texture it is impossible to appreciate the scale of it. The texture makes the star look FAR too small for how massive it truly is.

Edit: Looking at the lightsecond distance (4,250) he seems to be at twice the distance from Jupiter to the Sun, but because of the texture, it's hard to appreciate the scale. I believe my math is correct on that.

It's hard to convey how loving massive VY Canis Majoris is without something nearby to compare it to. It's less a texture problem and more that space is loving empty so it's just kind of there without context.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Google Butt posted:

Relax it's an alpha

in that case it is brilliant!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVq7qM-WB_E

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Gotta grind some RECs

E: in related news, Grimes is p. good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5XUw4qHZo

Bolow posted:

It's hard to convey how loving massive VY Canis Majoris is without something nearby to compare it to. It's less a texture problem and more that space is loving empty so it's just kind of there without context.
It makes some sene if you have a bit of experience of E:D and have an appreciation for how fast Friendship… sorry Frameshift Drive is. The sheer amount of time it takes for the star to grow in size in that video is mind-boggling from that perspective.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 15, 2015

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Best drat Space Sim Ever!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If you’re actually in a game dev studio it gets tossed around a lot. Obviously you’re hearing it a lot in this context because the nonexistent game needs excuses for why they can’t show any of it it’s a big buggy mess that has blockers in the literal sense of “if you shipped a game with this in it you’d be laughed off steam something about an open development process giving you insight into the real no holds barred nitty gritty of the dev cycle

I'm no stranger to game dev, I've just never seen it so overused. Every other loving word is blocker, blockers, blocked. Someone needs to throw up a chrome plugin that replaces blocker with contrived excuse. I guess I'm being unfair, after all their new streamlined decimated more efficient dev team has been brought to a halt by one person getting injured so some blockers are to be expected.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

This is literally the guy I was talking about, by the way. (I was discussing his automatic _landscape_ construction system, my mistake, not modular construction kit - different people.)
Good guy, great work.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

EightAce fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 8, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPpjDBgOvJw

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Has it ever been explained why they look like small electric carts and still manage to catch fire and explode as if they're using naphthalene pyro devices as fuel?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The buggies handle like poo poo, they bounce up and down and won't turn if you are moving

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tippis posted:

Has it ever been explained why they look like small electric carts and still manage to catch fire and explode as if they're using naphthalene pyro devices as fuel?

Do ships flame in the same way? Or just this retardmobile.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

happyhippy posted:

Do ships flame in the same way? Or just this retardmobile.

Ships do this for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V44T0p1ICYw

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tippis posted:

Wasn't there a theory that they're just re-skinned Jeeps from Crysis?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

The buggies handle like poo poo, they bounce up and down and won't turn if you are moving

buy the improved buggy with shock absorbers and the brand new turn-while-moving control system!

20 bucks, only 5000 available!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

buy the improved buggy with shock absorbers and the brand new turn-while-moving control system!

20 bucks, only 5000 available!

SOLD!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

Wasn't there a theory that they're just re-skinned Jeeps from Crysis?

They really do handle like that tbh

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I for one am excited for Star Citizen and its bold dystopia where golf carts find myriad ways to torture their human payloads.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
They'd fix it but doing so would remove 65% of current gameplay.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Can a game have a negative amount of gameplay

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

Can a game have a negative amount of gameplay

Yes, the game plays you, and in SC

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

At this point, I am 100% certain that this project cannot be rescued and that it's going to suffer a sudden and catastrophic collapse. Especially if croberts fails in finding someone to bail him out again.

I think Roberts is completely incapable of actually giving this project up. It would mean that he's failed yet again and the last time he had something taken away from him he left the industry in spite. I think he will pull the temple down around his head rather than let someone take his project over.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Nation posted:

are they still doing refunds??

Like crossing the event horizon of a black hole, we'll never be quite sure when we've hit the point of no refunds. (But maybe an outside observer would see it happen).

So maybe we're there now, and the current refund delays are permanent delays.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

I think Roberts is completely incapable of actually giving this project up. It would mean that he's failed yet again and the last time he had something taken away from him he left the industry in spite. I think he will pull the temple down around his head rather than let someone take his project over.

Maybe they will go Heaven's Gate.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

kordansk posted:

I can see Lesnick and his wife maintaining the RSI website to continue sharing the Chairman's message as a promise they made before his passing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

kordansk posted:

As in the western or the millenarian movement? I mean, both work as an analogy…

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

I Greyhound posted:

Like crossing the event horizon of a black hole, we'll never be quite sure when we've hit the point of no refunds. (But maybe an outside observer would see it happen).

So maybe we're there now, and the current refund delays are permanent delays.

yea when the refunds stop and the tickets start piling up and up and up its past the point of no return...my question should be who got a refund last?!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Totally not closing down the studio

:gary:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Tippis posted:

As in the western or the millenarian movement? I mean, both work as an analogy…

Whichever you prefer. I suppose the western for RSI and the cult for the idiotic fans.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
E: D actually looks pretty cool, it's nice to know there are space games being made that actually exist and are playable.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Skellybones posted:

E: D actually looks pretty cool, it's nice to know there are space games being made that actually exist and are playable.

It's OK / good now but moving along well into being great, the nice thing with it is you feel that they will still be adding stuff for years to come

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Skellybones posted:

2 things CRoberts was right about, there is a market for pc space combat Sims , and he can attract some talent

• Locked thread