Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I've heard about shaking things loose. I've got every LBW home screen icon except the camera. Is that thing I can shake? Is there a guide on shaking? Do I need to have tokens to shake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I love the drawings in the Badge Arcade miiverse, it's pretty much what I expected:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

jivjov posted:

I wish you could slap the app-launching badges over the top of the actual apps. Its rather silly that i have to hide the "real" activity log or eShop launcher in the depths of some folder somewhere and replace it with the badge.

Oh my god yes. It's annoying as hell.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

playing this once a day would be less of a pain if it didnt take 5 hours to boot

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kinda cool that they did a 3D World style portrait for Daisy even though she'll probably never appear outside a spin off

3D World 2 where Daisy and Wario are playable maybe.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kinda cool that they did a 3D World style portrait for Daisy even though she'll probably never appear outside a spin off

I think that already existed from something else, I saw photoshops of 3D world with that icon.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

epitasis posted:

playing this once a day would be less of a pain if it didnt take 5 hours to boot

I'm glad you said something, I was honestly worried my SD card was dying.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

apparently the game loads a lot faster on a n3ds

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
n3ds downloads faster from the internet, and the bootup seems to basically download every single badge every time you turn it on, so that's probably it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Will the themes cycle, or ever go up on the Theme Shop? I just discovered I missed out on a LBW theme that I probably would have been interested in.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Jarogue posted:

3D World 2 where Daisy and Wario are playable maybe.

Like Daisy is even in Wario's league.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

n3ds downloads faster from the internet, and the bootup seems to basically download every single badge every time you turn it on, so that's probably it.

I'm pretty sure that it loads all new badges added to the game as the Japanese version takes forever (I'm talking 3+ minutes) to load if you go a long time without playing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'm pretty sure that it loads all new badges added to the game as the Japanese version takes forever (I'm talking 3+ minutes) to load if you go a long time without playing.

Does this mean that getting too many badges would cause the home screen to be slow

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not playing that game for the same reason I don't go to arcades, I'm not spending several dollars for half an hour of game time, or if I do it's once a year. Just let me pay once and go away.

This also does not have the same social bonuses as the arcade.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm not playing that game for the same reason I don't go to arcades, I'm not spending several dollars for half an hour of game time, or if I do it's once a year. Just let me pay once and go away.

This also does not have the same social bonuses as the arcade.

Then take your three free turns per day and don't pay anything? There's plenty of fun to be had without spending any money.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sarchasm posted:

Then take your three free turns per day and don't pay anything? There's plenty of fun to be had without spending any money.

I've been doing that every day and I wouldn't say "plenty."

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Fix posted:

I've been doing that every day and I wouldn't say "plenty."

After three days of playing for free I have about thirty badges, way more than I can even use. Maybe we're just using different metrics.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Three? He only gave me one when I ran the game today...

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

MisterAlex posted:

Three? He only gave me one when I ran the game today...

You have to earn your other free plays on the practice machine.

Which, in my experience, always mirrors an actual machine. So you can see what works, then clean up on the real thing.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

After three days of playing for free I have about thirty badges, way more than I can even use. Maybe we're just using different metrics.

having many things doesn't mean something is fun just look at all the words in this post

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Sarchasm posted:

You have to earn your other free plays on the practice machine.

Which, in my experience, always mirrors an actual machine. So you can see what works, then clean up on the real thing.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of November 19):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Mario Tennis Ultra Smash - €49.99 / £39.99 (November 20)
    Barbie and her Sisters Puppy Rescuer - €29.99 / £24.99
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Typoman - €11.49 / £8.49 if you downloaded the nindies@home demo, standard price €13.99 / £9.99
    Canvaleon - €5.99 / £4.99
    Totem Topple - €2.99 / £1.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS

Buy Mario Tennis Ultra Smash on the eShop, get Mario Tennis N64 for free! (Wii U eShop) - ends December 17
    Nano Assault Neo (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £6.70 until November 26
    Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €15.00/ £13.50 until November 26
    Roving Rogue (Wii U eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until November 26
    Rock 'n Racing Off Road DX (Wii U eShop) - €4.95 / £4.45 until December 12

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    New Style Boutique 2: Fashion Forward - €39.99 / £34.99, includes free theme (November 20)
    Barbie and her Sisters Puppy Rescuer - €29.99 / £24.99
    I Love My Pony - €24.99 / £14.99
3DS ADD-ON CONTENT
    SMT Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker
  • All Skills Must Go! - €0.99 / £0.89
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Johnny's Payday Panic - €3.99 / £2.99
3DS MENU THEMES (November 20)
    New Style Boutique 2 - Caprice Chalet - €1.99 / £1.79
    New Style Boutique 2 - Dressed Up - €1.99 / £1.79
    Zelda Triforce Heroes - Totem Team - €1.99 / £1.79
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ? (3DS eShop) - €? / £? until ?

There are 3DS sales but it's all shovelware and I don't feel like typing it out.

AC Wild World doesn't have online/multiplayer features, obviously.

Note the Mario Tennis deal: buy digitally, get the N64 version for free.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

PAL update (week of November 19):

There are 3DS sales but it's all shovelware and I don't feel like typing it out.

AC Wild World doesn't have online/multiplayer features, obviously.

Wait, Wild World is coming to Wii u, now? Why? That makes no sense.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

And More posted:

The online stuff was kinda Wild World's big advancement in the series too, wasn't it? Without that there's no way to travel to anyone else's town, which closes off a pretty big set of the game's features...

The only thing I can think of is that Nintendo seems to be doing a big marketing push for Animal Crossing, what with releasing two games (happy home designer, amiibo festival) and the badge shop (which has to have a high rate of cross-pollination with New Leaf players), they're pushing out everything else Animal Crossing that they can as well. Hence, a crippled version of Wild World.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

And More posted:

Yeah how the hell are you going to unlock the last Nookington and Shampoodle. People who on the cart can still do that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chances are, Nintendo'll modify the code slightly to remove the connectivity requirement. Capcom did it for the Battle Network games, after all.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

loving figures... I just put money down on a physical copy. I used $20 of credit that I can't use online, though, so I'm not changing.

Has anybody in PAL land bought Phantom Hourglass and/or Spirit Tracks? I was wondering if they came up with any better control schemes for them as that was what turned me off of those two in the first place. Probably still touch screen on the Wii U and all that, but I was hoping that they had put in more conventional methods with the joystick and buttons. I would buy them in that case.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Like Daisy is even in Wario's league.

Well Rosalina isn't but look where she ended up anyway.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Just make the next Mario take place in the weird rear end kingdom from Super Mario Land that Daisy rules

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

Just make the next Mario take place in the weird rear end kingdom from Super Mario Land that Daisy rules

I think that place is called Sarasaland.

Can't remember when my car payment is due, but Sarasaland? Got that poo poo down.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Help Im Alive posted:

Call it Super Princess Daisy, and make it a technical character-action brawler. She's rescuing Luigi.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Motto posted:

I think that already existed from something else, I saw photoshops of 3D world with that icon.

It's from a level in Mario Kart. I think it might be an upgrade of an old level, like Royal Raceway in Mario Kart 8.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

Call it Super Princess Daisy, and make it a technical character-action brawler. She's rescuing Luigi.

I don't really care what kind of game it is as long as I get to see the beautiful kingdom of Sarasaland in glorious HD

And bring back the aliens

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't really care what kind of game it is as long as I get to see the beautiful kingdom of Sarasaland in glorious HD

And bring back the aliens

I always loved how the koopa troopas exploded when you bounced on them. "Awww you want a shell to toss? gently caress you, KABOOM!"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Such a weird drat game now that I think about it. The turtles explode, the fireballs bounce around the screen at 45 degree angles, and Mario fights an alien while flying a plane

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Monkey Fracas posted:

Such a weird drat game now that I think about it. The turtles explode, the fireballs bounce around the screen at 45 degree angles, and Mario fights an alien while flying a plane

The Flower was a Superball, the physics are distinctly not very Mario-like. And of course the Can-Can for invincibility music.
The stages with the Easter Island monsters, the pyramids and chinese zombies. Strange yes, but looking back its also refreshingly different to normal Mario.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The Flower was a Superball, the physics are distinctly not very Mario-like. And of course the Can-Can for invincibility music.
The stages with the Easter Island monsters, the pyramids and chinese zombies. Strange yes, but looking back its also refreshingly different to normal Mario.

I had a copy with my first B&W Game Boy... it was the first game I owned after Tetris. I picked up another copy last year on a lark as I saw it for just a few dolllars in a second-hand type shop, and it was still pretty fun. The submarine stage and the plane stage are a rather fun break in the action, and the eqyptian theme/music with the sphinxes in all is a nice touch. I had forgotten how short it was, though... only 16 stages. I would be tempted to say that that was all that the original GB could hold, but I played six Golden Coins right after that and it's a much bigger game, so I don't know. Perhaps it's presumptuous to expect 32 stages like in the original SMB.

I still miss the bunny ears from 6 Golden Coins

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

JustJeff88 posted:

I had a copy with my first B&W Game Boy... it was the first game I owned after Tetris. I picked up another copy last year on a lark as I saw it for just a few dolllars in a second-hand type shop, and it was still pretty fun. The submarine stage and the plane stage are a rather fun break in the action, and the eqyptian theme/music with the sphinxes in all is a nice touch. I had forgotten how short it was, though... only 16 stages. I would be tempted to say that that was all that the original GB could hold, but I played six Golden Coins right after that and it's a much bigger game, so I don't know. Perhaps it's presumptuous to expect 32 stages like in the original SMB.

I still miss the bunny ears from 6 Golden Coins

I get the feeling that the first Mario Land was basically a tech demo. They wanted to prove that they could make a fully-featured Mario game on the very limited Game Boy. Six Golden Coins was the "doing it for real" run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Gameboy games in general tended to be quite a bit shorter than their console brethren, partially because they're on a handheld system(which automatically means no long gaming sessions) and very few games had save options. Along with that, cart ROM sizes were a lot smaller for cost-related reasons.

Hell, in case of Pokemon RBY they had to use some wizardry to fit everything in a GB cart, and it's also the reason the games are so buggy. No room for any kind of error checking or handling.