Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Skellybones posted:

E: D actually looks pretty cool, it's nice to know there are space games being made that actually exist and are playable.

I got it a week ago, can confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mirificus posted:

Better quality indeed:

That's the most detailed decorative soap I've ever seen!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tokamak posted:

Totally not closing down the studio

:gary:

Chris figured out how to use the hair plugin on Cryengine!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

So you're trying to tell me they pre rendered the crashes and failures in the presentation? Bit of a stretch.
Sound like some of you are regretting your refunds and are a bit jealous of those still able to play imo

What crashes where there in the "2.0" CitCon preview. I don't remember a single one.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FrankieGoes posted:

What crashes where there in the "2.0" CitCon preview. I don't remember a single one.

No you are right that Con went off perfectly

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm inclined to believe it wasn't prerendered due to all the little fuckups during the presentation, like the dude that got stuck in the ship's elevator and then you see being flung away out of the corner of the screen when they decide to take off without him. And also that they missed the whole gun battle.

So they have numerous "blockers" that render it completely unplayable. So unplayable that they can't even release any recent video footage of it, by their own admission.

But they went through the CitCon demo without any serious or breaking issues? I didn't watch the ENTIRE citcon demo, so maybe I missed it, but what I did see didn't involve a single CTD or freeze or serious blocker. Did numerous of those occur, and I just missed them?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Sandi had a huge crash at CitizenCon and by that I mean she ran out of coke minutes before it started, probably.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

In the GamesCom demo, the Retaliator IFCS or engine control got shot through the hull. They don't have replacement components in yet, though the components are modeled, so they were unable to fly the ship back to the station as they had been doing in the Press Demos all day.

So at least that much was real.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

In the GamesCom demo, the Retaliator IFCS or engine control got shot through the hull. They don't have replacement components in yet, though the components are modeled, so they were unable to fly the ship back to the station as they had been doing in the Press Demos all day.

So at least that much was real.

So they did their little FPS thing (which didn't show much, but that isn't really that meaningful, I'd guess the croberts is just aware enough to be embarrassed about the current FPS play). Then they got in a Connie. Flew out to the satellite. The dude exited the other ship (Hornet?), flew over to the satellite, flew down into it, pressed a button, flew back. All without any CTDs or game breakers.

But now things are so buggy and bad that it's not just that they cant release it to test, they can't even get enough footage out of it to release a promotional video?

Like I said, I didn't sit riveted to the screen and watch every second of the shitshow, so maybe I missed a lot, but the above is what I saw and my perspective after seeing it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

FrankieGoes posted:

But they went through the CitCon demo without any serious or breaking issues? I didn't watch the ENTIRE citcon demo, so maybe I missed it, but what I did see didn't involve a single CTD or freeze or serious blocker. Did numerous of those occur, and I just missed them?

I'm not a developer so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I've gathered from osmosis:

First, they are promising that 40 people will be able to play online at the same time. That's really really different from having 4-8 people on a LAN.

Second, they are promising a huge area to explore. When you're giving a presentation with staff they know exactly where to go and where not to go. Known bugs can be conveniently avoided.

Third, they are attempting to integrate completely different design architectures on top of one another (FPS, Multi-Crew, Space Combat). This can result in making a fix in one area that causes something breaking down elsewhere. So as they've continued progressing on the project they may have actually made things worse in other ways.

This is what they've promised for this release, by the way. It's a good deal more than what was shown at CitCon I think:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

AP posted:

They'd fix it but doing so would remove 65% of current gameplay.

Don't forget they also fired the guy responsible for vehicles in cryengine. I think it's safe to say this is finalized gameplay.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kordansk posted:

Whichever you prefer. I suppose the western for RSI and the cult for the idiotic fans.

I like this interpretation.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm not a developer so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I've gathered from osmosis:

First, they are promising that 40 people will be able to play online at the same time. That's really really different from having 4-8 people on a LAN.

Second, they are promising a huge area to explore. When you're giving a presentation with staff they know exactly where to go and where not to go. Known bugs can be conveniently avoided.

Well, huge in terms of empty space. I would assume that simulating empty space isn't really super difficult. And as far as "where to go and where not to go" that's precisely what I mean by saying the thing was staged.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

No you are right that Con went off perfectly

It certainly did, compared to the one from the year before.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mirificus posted:

Better quality indeed:

Still reading the thread but just saw this.

It looks like a convict carved it out of a bar of soap.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FrankieGoes posted:

Well, huge in terms of empty space. I would assume that simulating empty space isn't really super difficult. And as far as "where to go and where not to go" that's precisely what I mean by saying the thing was staged.

You have to account for CIG's adherence to their Regressive Development Paradigm®

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

FrankieGoes posted:

It certainly did, compared to the one from the year before.

I concur

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

FrankieGoes posted:

Hey, that's hand crafted empty space Mister!

That makes it much better than anything that's in those other games, because it was built from a template by a bored intern. It's got the human touch see, and that's very rare and precious to Star Citizens.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Tippis posted:

As in the western or the millenarian movement? I mean, both work as an analogy…

Think of how many pairs of Nike Decades you could but with $90 million.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I bet none of that gameplay at the event was even live.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Derek Smart I want to try Universal Combat since it's exactly the kind of space game I want. The prospect is super daunting, though. Is there anything I need to read aside from the manual. Are there any good forum posts or any supplements you'd recommend. I figure I may as well give it a try since at least it's not a fake game

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sankis posted:

Derek Smart I want to try Universal Combat since it's exactly the kind of space game I want. The prospect is super daunting, though. Is there anything I need to read aside from the manual. Are there any good forum posts or any supplements you'd recommend. I figure I may as well give it a try since at least it's not a fake game
I've been learning the game and here's some resources:

Fan site with lots of documentation on ships / assets / setting: http://www.dereksmartuc.hut1.ru/

"Quick" start tutorial (which I haven't read yet): http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/uc/UC_TUTORIAL.PDF

Galaxy map: http://www.3000ad.com/downloads/ucce/GAME_GALAXY_MAP_PRINTABLE.JPG

I've been playing in carriers, but I'm thinking of switching to cruisers since carriers are a ton of work, and you die faster if you don't know how to manage fighters. Also make sure to get really familiar with missiles.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Angela Christine posted:

That's the most detailed decorative soap I've ever seen!

drat it you stole my joke

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Endeavor Base - LTI - Standalone Ship
$350.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Endeavor Discovery-Class - LTI - Standalone Ship
$425.00
In stock
Buy Now

Endeavor Hope-Class - LTI - Standalone Ship
$450.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Endeavor Olympic-Class - LTI - Standalone Ship
$500.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Endeavor Master Set - LTI - Standalone Ship
$900.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Biodome Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$100.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Telescope Array Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$125.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Supercollider Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$125.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Service Equipment and Crew Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$25.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

General Research Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$45.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

General Science Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$45.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Fuel Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$35.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Medical Bay Pod - LTI - Add-Ons
$75.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Landing Bay - LTI - Add-Ons
$75.00 USD
In stock
Buy Now

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What a deal

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I just bought them all

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Finally my dreams of owning a General Science Pod are coming true

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
http://www.wine.com/v6/Colgin-IX-Estate-Red-2010/wine/137918/Detail.aspx

a good one

:homebrew:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

So they did their little FPS thing (which didn't show much, but that isn't really that meaningful, I'd guess the croberts is just aware enough to be embarrassed about the current FPS play). Then they got in a Connie. Flew out to the satellite. The dude exited the other ship (Hornet?), flew over to the satellite, flew down into it, pressed a button, flew back. All without any CTDs or game breakers.
That's the CitizenCon demo. The Gamescom one involved them doing a similar start with a Connie flying out to a location, but this time it was a derelict Retaliator. They did a zero-G EVA to it, powered it up (all of this the most simple scripting), and then got into a fight when some pirates flew in.

The Retaliator and Hornet made it back, the Constellation had its flight computer shot out and couldn't make it back.

However, yeah, there's no question the FPS is ASsssssSssssssss.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The FPS has this odd poo poo feeling to it that I can't quite place. It feels awkward and crap and boring

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Like imagine all the cool vibes you get when playing a Mario game, now take them all away and you have the FPS module

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Like imagine all the cool vibes you get when playing a Mario game, now take them all away and you have the FPS module

The control and movement is entirely awful. It's even worse than stock CryTek, and that's saying something (I'm not a fan of CryTek movement). Were I involved in this, I'd be studying what Ubisoft did with Dunia (their version of CryEngine). They completely tore out the movement code and replaced it with their own.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Loiosh posted:

The control and movement is entirely awful. It's even worse than stock CryTek, and that's saying something (I'm not a fan of CryTek movement). Were I involved in this, I'd be studying what Ubisoft did with Dunia (their version of CryEngine). They completely tore out the movement code and replaced it with their own.
They tore out everything else while they were at it too...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did something come out

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Sarsapariller posted:

Still reading the thread but just saw this.

It looks like a convict carved it out of a bar of soap.

Oh? so it's not from the new line of adult "toys"?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

Please do not encourage CIG to rip code out and write their own, or in fact, do :lol:

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Please do not encourage CIG to rip code out and write their own, or in fact, do :lol:

They already did. It's what IllFonic was working on. They also replaced the player skeleton and rerigged it (sometime in the last four months?) and then redid the motion capture for a lot of the movements. At least that's what I understand from the monthly updates.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

They already did. It's what IllFonic was working on. They also replaced the player skeleton and rerigged it (sometime in the last four months?) and then redid the motion capture for a lot of the movements. At least that's what I understand from the monthly updates.

So is the mo cap stuff actually in game now in the social module? Because if so fuuuuuuuuuck ha ha

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I'm torn. Should I get the General Research Pod or the General Science Pod? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I'm torn. Should I get the General Research Pod or the General Science Pod? :confused:

Would you say you like science or research more? This question is important

• Locked thread