Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kakarot posted:

Is there a game yet

Yes. You're playing it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Ah so I should buy both if I want to turn my research into more science. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well kinda, but since none of the modules will ever be functional, just buy the cheapest ones and call them what you want

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

I think it's fair to not have the voice recognition, no one wants to be the guy in the office saying 'colon' all day
That's the second major downside of being an rear end doctor.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well kinda, but since none of the modules will ever be functional, just buy the cheapest ones and call them what you want

This seems like an excellent opportunity for some fan fiction

General_Science_vs_General_Reaserch_Pod.pdf

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

peter gabriel posted:

I think it's fair to not have the voice recognition, no one wants to be the guy in the office saying 'colon' all day

Sure I guess but if its the difference between falling behind weeks on work or just dealing with something not even that annoying as you put on a pair of headphones and code to music so you don't have to hear the guy dictating everything I think we know what most rational actors would pick.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

It's always weird to me when someone brings up a single counter example and expects that to prove a point. See this one example, obviously that means every coder should do this if they break both wrists and totally not take that time off to heal, like say, Patrick Klepek did when he had a bike injury (broke a clavicle).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Octopode posted:

That's because they've intentionally limited playable portions to the art stuff that's finished. Compare not only the list of ship assets finished versus planned, but the fact they have completed 0 of a planned 100+ star systems, each with individual landing zones and planets and the like, with only two of those even partially completed. Plus NPCs, clothing, ship components, etc. They have a tremendous amount of outstanding assets.

Wow, you think their non-releases are due to unfinished art assets? How come they talk so much about blockers/wrists/bullshit then? I mean, you can have either "development is so much further along than art so no probs, they got it covered" or "programming is vitally important and even one temporarily lost programmer is an unrecoverable setback", but you just can't have both

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Octopode posted:

All correct, more or less, with the added wrinkle of the current major issue being memory leaks, which probably wouldn't have shown up in the relatively short play sessions shown at Gamescom or CitCon. There's also just the normal fact of development on a large complicated system causing regression and new bugs as things are added or changed in general.

As for earlier comments people made about the FPS lead's broken wrist causing delays: first, CIG really does not have a very deep bench on the programming side and never has--I'd guess only about 10% of their team are actually programmers, and they are spread very thin over different chunks and systems, so a single loss is a significant chunk of their total manpower. I would be surprised if they have more two or three people who have worked on the FPS portions in-house. Secondly, programmers are not interchangeable, particularly when working primarily on bug fixing; it'll probably take a week just for his replacement(s) to get familiar enough with his code to be marginally effective unless he's much better than average at writing readable code.

i'm not going to disagree with the fact that programmers are not interchangable and how it doesn't take nine women a month to make a baby, but surely even you can admit there's something horribly wrong when one dev breaks his wrist(s) and a project that is ostensibly near completion is set back by three weeks, because assuming it's true it implies that there is absolutely no cross-training, no developer overlap, no code reviews, no proper documentation, and if any portion of the 10% of the company that is developers died in a bus crash or quit tomorrow the entire project would be set back dramatically if not indefinitely (certainly more than 3 weeks, since the implication here is "it would take less time for our broken-wristed developer to heal than it would to ask another programmer to get up to speed even if the original developer can easily talk on the phone about what he was working on"). this is a fairly damning state for a company to admit that they're in and again, if you make the assumption that they are telling the 100% honest to god truth it should make you more worried about the state of their developer pit, as opposed to "it's not as far done as we want it to be so we're going to bullshit a reason why it's not done yet"

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Octopode posted:

I don't know if you've never programmed, never used dictation software, or both, but no, that's not really a viable alternative for anything other than token productivity. He'd probably be much better off hunting and pecking with a stick taped to his cast.

This is everything you need to know about coding with speech recognition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i'm not going to disagree with the fact that programmers are not interchangable and how it doesn't take nine women a month to make a baby, but surely even you can admit there's something horribly wrong when one dev breaks his wrist(s) and a project that is ostensibly near completion is set back by three weeks

One small note here, it didn't set completion back by three weeks. I don't know where that number is coming from. I've seen it repeatedly said here that AC 2.0 is 'delayed by a month,' but have been unable to find a source for it. Their weekly release noted they've completed the public 2.0 build (Excalibur export) and are now doing daily QA cycles for their last 5 (3 now) blocking bugs.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Vire posted:

Also just to show you are even full of poo poo about the speech recognition and coding here is a guy doing it in python after he had a hand injury and liked it so much he just does it all the time now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI

"At first programming with it was painfully slow but, as I couldn't type, I persevered. After several months of vocab tweaking and duct-tape coding in Python and Emacs Lisp, I had a system that enabled me to code faster and more efficiently by voice " He literally says it took him 3 months to be productive again, and he still only uses it for about half of his code now. Three months to be productive again is a reasonable investment for someone with a chronic injury like his; not so much for something with a return to productivity measured in weeks.

Not to mention the fact that Python is much closer to natural language than C(++) is to begin with, making the transition there easier already.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also this project has already shown that art depends on coding, see that ship that had to be redesigned after the flight model was done because it wouldn't work with the current thruster positions. So you need many programmers. Unless your business model is to sell non-existent JPEG ships.

If I broke my wrists, I would take time off work to recover regardless of whether I could technically still do my job though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

It's always weird to me when someone brings up a single counter example and expects that to prove a point. See this one example, obviously that means every coder should do this if they break both wrists and totally not take that time off to heal, like say, Patrick Klepek did when he had a bike injury (broke a clavicle).

Yeah time off for injuries is fine by me

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Octopode you're being very selective with what you reply to, friend. Quite a few of us are sat here waiting to be schooled on how to manage a large video game programming project.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I don't think anyone realistically expects wrists guy to really not have time off work, the root issue is that one guy down shouldn't halt the project.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Injuries are one thing, but shutting down the whole thing because of one person's injuries is ludicrous

Would they lock all the doors and send everyone home for 2 weeks if Chris had the flu and was home in bed?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Loiosh posted:

It's even weirder when you have a guy with a broken wrist / bone / whatever and people are wondering why isn't he's back at work finishing that really important video game.

In any case, it's just an excuse and 2.0 is going to suck enormous amounts of balls.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I don't think anyone realistically expects wrists guy to really not have time off work, the root issue is that one guy down shouldn't halt the project.

CIG have a very shallow programming bench, furthermo- :gary: :gary:

Sappo569 posted:

Injuries are one thing, but shutting down the whole thing because of one person's injuries is ludicrous

Would they lock all the doors and send everyone home for 2 weeks if Chris had the flu and was home in bed?

I'm not sure the answer to this is as straightforward as you think.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wow, you think their non-releases are due to unfinished art assets? How come they talk so much about blockers/wrists/bullshit then? I mean, you can have either "development is so much further along than art so no probs, they got it covered" or "programming is vitally important and even one temporarily lost programmer is an unrecoverable setback", but you just can't have both

If you actually go back and read my post preceding that one, you'll see I was speaking in terms of the overall game, not just specifically the release of Alpha 2.0. The current bugs are preventing the release of 2.0; the art assets are the risk to the schedule of the project as a whole.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i'm not going to disagree with the fact that programmers are not interchangable and how it doesn't take nine women a month to make a baby, but surely even you can admit there's something horribly wrong when one dev breaks his wrist(s) and a project that is ostensibly near completion is set back by three weeks, because assuming it's true it implies that there is absolutely no cross-training, no developer overlap, no code reviews, no proper documentation, and if any portion of the 10% of the company that is developers died in a bus crash or quit tomorrow the entire project would be set back dramatically if not indefinitely (certainly more than 3 weeks, since the implication here is "it would take less time for our broken-wristed developer to heal than it would to ask another programmer to get up to speed even if the original developer can easily talk on the phone about what he was working on"). this is a fairly damning state for a company to admit that they're in and again, if you make the assumption that they are telling the 100% honest to god truth it should make you more worried about the state of their developer pit, as opposed to "it's not as far done as we want it to be so we're going to bullshit a reason why it's not done yet"

The wrist breakage didn't set them back three weeks; slowdown caused by it, combined with other bugs and issues probably did. People are arguing like this is the only guy doing anything and the whole process ground to a halt because of him; that's preposterous--all they said is that it caused them to work more slowly than they would otherwise, not that everything has stopped because of it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sappo569 posted:

Yeah but really what are the chances of Chris feeling odd with a runny nose and bleary eyesohwaitasecond

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I'm not saying it is not ok to take time off when you break bones and stuff.

I am just saying if you are so mission critical to a company that you are probably costing them millions of dollars if you take off it might be appropriate to find ways around it. Patrick Klepek is not costing giant bomb / kotaku millions by missing work.

Yes it took that guy several months to make it work but he was doing everything from scratch. There is a lot more groundwork done for this kinda thing and even if it took him a week you yourself said it would take anyone else a week just to pick up where he left off so whats the difference. You set up a couple of voice macro's for common things you do it has nothing to do with the fact that python is more natural then c++ it has everything to do with the macros you set up if you watch the video how he set it up and how he was using it you would see there would be no difference between python and c++ he is using made up words.

Vire fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 15, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

No, everybody would just have to work at his home.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

People are arguing like this is the only guy doing anything

I for one honestly believe Wrists McGee was the only dude working on the game

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

I have that one!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

No, everybody would just have to work at his home.

This makes more sense, they would all work from Wrists McGees house and all use voice recognition software

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
As soon as they complete the move to Santa Monica and fire redeploy all of the Austin team all of this will be in the past, friends. Chris said this would make the project more robust. So say we all.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Octopode posted:

The wrist breakage didn't set them back three weeks; slowdown caused by it, combined with other bugs and issues probably did. People are arguing like this is the only guy doing anything and the whole process ground to a halt because of him; that's preposterous--all they said is that it caused them to work more slowly than they would otherwise, not that everything has stopped because of it.

lol

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

Yes. Because the alternative is too horrifying for Chris to contemplate.

He might find out that the project would do better without him.

e: to make sense.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 15, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sappo569 posted:

They would make more progress in those two weeks than they have in the last two years

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

Vire posted:

I am just saying if you are so mission critical to a company that you are probably costing them millions of dollars if you take off it might be appropriate to find ways around it. Patrick Klepek is not costing giant bomb / kotaku millions by missing work.

lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cig has never told a lie

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

welp h aha

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Has anyone confirmed the guy hasn't broken his own wrists just to get the gently caress out of there for a few weeks?
Very fishy if not imo

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
He was probably reaching for the last Wulge supplied donut within striking distance of Ben.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

He was probably reaching for the last Wulge supplied donut within striking distance of Ben.

Sounds plausible, someone get The Escapist on the line, stat!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
but seriously yes guy should have time off from work

if the project is stalled entirely because one dev is home with raging face-herpes then that's the fault of management, not the developer himself

it's like having a car making factory, hiring one person who knows how to screw the tires on, refusing to hire anyone else to learn how to do it, and then screaming at the tire-screwer for getting sick

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Vire posted:

I'm not saying it is not ok to take time off when you break bones and stuff.

Yes it took that guy several months to make it work but he was doing everything from scratch. There is a lot more groundwork done for this kinda thing and even if it took him a week you yourself said it would take anyone else a week just to pick up where he left off so whats the difference. You set up a couple of voice macro's for common things you do it has nothing to do with the fact that python is more natural then c++ it has everything to do with the macros you set up.

I mean, just go and launch the dictation software built into your OS and say, get it to type out twenty or thirty camel-case variable names and report back how long it takes you to do it. Now imagine that on a complex existing codebase of a few million lines or more and tell me that you could just whip up a few macros to handle those alone in a week, let alone all the other syntax issues.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

I sorta suspect he broke his wrist to get some time away. You know, like some soldiers do at wartime, shoot themselves in the foot and the like? Guy has my sympathies in either case and I definitely don't grudge him the chance to get spoonfed scotch by his significant other while nursing his brain and conscience wrists

e: gently caress beaten by the dancey cat.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

Has anyone confirmed the guy hasn't broken his own wrists just to get the gently caress out of there for a few weeks?
Very fishy if not imo

wulf knight, private public dick is on the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Are you Canadian or *gasp* European? Because in the US you don't let something as silly as your health get in between you and your work.

• Locked thread