Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sappo569 posted:

Injuries are one thing, but shutting down the whole thing because of one person's injuries is ludicrous

Would they lock all the doors and send everyone home for 2 weeks if Chris had the flu and was home in bed?

Given the apparent need for him to micromanage everything and approve everything, it wouldn't surprise me. Is anyone else there really empowered to make any kind of decision beyond the contents of their coffee?

Octopode posted:

The wrist breakage didn't set them back three weeks; slowdown caused by it, combined with other bugs and issues probably did. People are arguing like this is the only guy doing anything and the whole process ground to a halt because of him; that's preposterous--all they said is that it caused them to work more slowly than they would otherwise, not that everything has stopped because of it.

In other words, the wrist breakage set them back three weeks. If his working a bit more slowly set them back that much, then something is desperately wrong with everything in their process. It is just as — if not more — preposterous as suggesting that everything ground to a halt due to his not doing anything. The fact that he's not a regular typist, but a lead programmer, makes it even more of a laughably pathetic excuse for sheer idiocy than it otherwise wood be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Octopode posted:

I mean, just go and launch the dictation software built into your OS and say, get it to type out twenty or thirty camel-case variable names and report back how long it takes you to do it. Now imagine that on a complex existing codebase of a few million lines or more and tell me that you could just whip up a few macros to handle those alone in a week, let alone all the other syntax issues.

one guy missing work shouldn't have any impact on the development of a $95m project

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

Are you Canadian or *gasp* European? Because in the US you don't let something as silly as your health get in between you and your work.

I am from the UK where of you have time off to 'go to the dentist' no fucker believes you
I also own my own company and am an awesome guy

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

That's kinda misrepresenting what I was saying though because that taken alone is out of context. Like everyone else has mentioned and even like I said in my own example losing one guy shouldn't delay a project like this so much. The fact that they said it did is what make its absurd and what makes it even necessary for such a retarded thing to take place as strapping a guy with broken arms to a chair and forcing him to work still.

I am fully in the camp that he should be able to take time off. I am also in the camp that it shouldn't torpedo your project if he did.

They are the ones who are saying it is delaying them so badly not me. I merely offered alternatives if the result they themselves are claiming so it wasn't so dire.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I sorta suspect he broke his wrist to get some time away. You know, like some soldiers do at wartime, shoot themselves in the foot and the like? Guy has my sympathies in either case and I definitely don't grudge him the chance to get spoonfed scotch by his significant other while nursing his brain and conscience wrists

e: gently caress beaten by the dancey cat.

Rumour is he broke the first wrist with a hammer and had to bite the other til it snapped - working conditions may be worse than first feared

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vire posted:

That's kinda misrepresenting what I was saying though because that taken alone is out of context. Like everyone else has mentioned and even like I said in my own example losing one guy shouldn't delay a project like this so much. The fact that they said it did is what make its absurd and what makes it even necessary for such a retarded thing to take place as strapping a guy with broken arms to a chair and forcing him to work still.

I am fully in the camp that he should be able to take time off. I am also in the camp that it shouldn't torpedo your project if he did.

I know :)
Was a funny selective quote is all

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

trucutru posted:

Are you Canadian or *gasp* European? Because in the US you don't let something as silly as your health get in between you and your work.

are cationalities a thing?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Tippis posted:

In other words, the wrist breakage set them back three weeks.

No. In case it wasn't clear; I'll explain it another way, with entirely made up dates as no one here actually has any info about the length of the setback:

Original projection = release in two weeks, based on what we're seeing of current issues

Jim breaks wrists!

Oh no, due to us losing Jim and needing to shift his workload, we'll probably need an extra week to finish!

New projection = release in three weeks.

Broken wrist impact = one additional week, not three weeks. The broken wrist being coincident with delays does not mean it was the source of the entirety of the delay.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

one guy missing work shouldn't have any impact on the development of a $95m project

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Google Butt posted:

If that was the case, that guy would be contributing exactly no gain to productivity whatsoever, and shouldn't be working there, as he is literally nothing but dead weight.

In other words, that's a ridiculous view to hold.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Google Butt posted:

Should be in the OP

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Octopode posted:

No. In case it wasn't clear; I'll explain it another way, with entirely made up dates as no one here actually has any info about the length of the setback:

Original projection = release in two weeks, based on what we're seeing of current issues

Jim breaks wrists!

Oh no, due to us losing Jim and needing to shift his workload, we'll probably need an extra week to finish!

Broken wrist impact = one additional week, not three weeks. The broken wrist being coincident with delays does not mean it was the source of the entirety of the delay.

But but but don't you know correlation = cause.

Also is this thread still full of weaboo cancer or is that done? I really hope it is good again because when it is it is funny as poo poo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

If that was the case, that guy would be contributing exactly no gain to productivity whatsoever, and shouldn't be working there, as he is literally nothing but dead weight.

Not really, in my world say if a designer gets killed after a phonecall to an agency another appears and within an hour he's working away on poo poo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Octopode posted:

Jim breaks wrists!

Broken wrist impact = one additional week, not three weeks.
In other words, the wrist breakage set them back three weeks.

You were very clear. You just refuse to accept what it is you're saying. You are saying that the wrist breakage set them back three weeks. Making up a story where you deliberately and laughably try to confuse the numbers 1 and 3 does not change this. In your example, with your made up numbers, the delay is one week. In the real project, the delays is three weeks. In other words, the wrist breakage set them back three weeks.

quote:

The broken wrist being coincident with delays does not mean it was the source of the entirety of the delay.
…except that, just as in your example and especially in the real case, the delay — be it the fictional one week or the real three weeks — is entirely caused by the broken wrist(s).

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Not really, in my world say if a designer gets killed after a phonecall to an agency another appears and within an hour he's working away on poo poo

As a government project manager, I wholly endorse this worldview.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Guyz we would have shipped a while ago but the 20k coffee machine broke and everybody was too drowsy for two weeks.

Sorry for the month long delay, the guy in charge of the flight model just lost his cat. We'll miss Mr. Bigguns.

Everything was ready for shipment, but our chief linguist had the flu and it was difficult to coordinate British and US spelling for the word co(u)lor and such.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

As a government project manager, I wholly endorse this worldview.

It's good, I hope the guys wrists heal quick though to be serious for a second

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Derek Smart's dog ate our codework.

drat you Legal!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Octopode posted:

Jim breaks wrists!

Are your "weeks" figurative or sourced?

E: Whoa, never mind, I don't read.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
RIP Mr Bigguns :(

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode posted:

The current bugs are preventing the release of 2.0; the art assets are the risk to the schedule of the project as a whole.

Legit curious; where are you getting this from?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i guess you could say his wrists are

two weaks

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

A Neurotic Jew posted:

His rear end.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Madcosby posted:

two weaks

boo this man

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

trucutru posted:

Everything was ready for shipment, but our chief linguist had the flu and it was difficult to coordinate British and US spelling for the word co(u)lor and such.

Chief linguist is working on Vanduul and X'ian (or whatever) fyi

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Madcosby posted:

two weaks

haha

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
good laughs to come

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Google Butt posted:

Roberts hasn't worked a day in his life and you've all seen how that has affected this $95m project.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

peter gabriel posted:

It's good, I hope the guys wrists heal quick though to be serious for a second

:getout:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

A Neurotic Jew posted:

A rational comparison of the progress on the code side of things in the last three years versus the progress on the art side of things, compared to the amount of work left to do for each necessary to meet the stated goals for release.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Roberts hasn't worked a day in his life and you've all seen how that has affected this $95m project.

:iceburn:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Octopode posted:

Oh well, if it is a single week then it is perfectly fine!

And of course it is not the sole source of the delay. Pretty sure all kinds of incompetence (like having a single guy break his wrist be enough to delay a 95m dollar game) are the true reason.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Octopode posted:

If you actually go back and read my post preceding that one, you'll see I was speaking in terms of the overall game, not just specifically the release of Alpha 2.0. The current bugs are preventing the release of 2.0; the art assets are the risk to the schedule of the project as a whole.

This doesn't check out. How can they be behind on programming issues for the 2.0 release, while simultaneously being ahead regarding project as a whole?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

A rational comparison of the progress on the code side of things in the last three years versus the progress on the art side of things, compared to the amount of work left to do for each necessary to meet the stated goals for release.

Seriouspost, are you actually of the opinion that the programming side of the project is closer to completion than the art? Even though, by your own admission, they have hardly any programmers?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chief linguist is working on Vanduul and X'ian (or whatever) fyi

Are the X'ian incomprehensible space Chinese aliens with a weird design aesthetic?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

This doesn't check out. How can they be behind on programming issues for the 2.0 release, while simultaneously being ahead regarding project as a whole?

something something leapfrogging something

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

If anything the latest incident at CIG has strengthened my view of all programmers as skinny weak little nerds with fragile bodies

Which makes sense because we all know :lesnick: isn't a programmer, and look at him. Boy is built to lug around heavy objects and smash down rocks

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

The systems present in 2.0 represent a much larger chunk of the required systems implementation for the project than the art it includes does for the required art completion of the project, but that fact doesn't make completing that code any faster. Sorry, I don't know how to explain the point any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

trucutru posted:

Are the X'ian incomprehensible space Chinese aliens with a weird design aesthetic?

Star Citizen wiki posted:

Xi'An (pronounced : / SHEE-ahn /)

The Xi'An Empire is a hereditary absolute monarchy located along the border of the Eastern Systems. It is comprised of at least fourteen systems and is governed by Emperor Kray. The emperor has a High Council of Advisers, each representing a facet of the government. A similar government structure is found on each Xi'An controlled planet, with every planetary council member reporting to their respective counterparts on the Emperor's Council.

It reads as a loving horrible Star Trek ripoff

• Locked thread