Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011
Just finished a 4 day S+ recruitment dispatch, lost 13 S combat and 10 S base development to get 10 S+ base development, I consider it worth it S guys are easy enough to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Dareon posted:

So tell me again how you only have to replay mission 11 7 times before it changes to Reunion? Because I must've gone through it at least 12 by now. GMP reward is down to 70, I have thoroughly exhausted every means of beating her that doesn't involve a tank (I used that on Extreme), and I've gotten so bored with the fight I've actually gone and beaten some of the Extreme etc. repeat missions to take a break from it.

And no, I haven't executed her or run away.

Giving us a great and cool boss fight that leads to a neat party member: Good. Taking that party member away: Ambivalent. Giving us a means to get them back: Good. Making that method replaying that cool boss fight until every scrap of entertainment value is sucked out of it and the experience becomes less pleasurable than eating a cardboard box: Bad.

Did you do it seven times in a row or did you alternate between Cloaked in Silence and other missions? That's the only thing I can think of that might have stopped it is if you broke up the replays. If you did play it twelve times in a row, as long as you were extracting her, it should have worked and I don't know why it isn't working for you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
No, I didn't do them in a row. :negative: I got through five in a row before thinking "This is really boring, I would rather be doing literally any other mission. Like Extreme Sahelanthropus." And went and did that.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Dareon posted:

Giving us a great and cool boss fight that leads to a neat party member: Good. Taking that party member away: Ambivalent. Giving us a means to get them back: Good.

hey what the heck :(

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I don't think it's just you. I'm pretty certain I replayed it well past 7 times total as well after I did about 4 replays with other missions between, and then sitting there replaying it all in a row another 4 times and no [REUNION] appearing. Luckily I went straight back to doing them the next day so I don't think it restarts the count if you turn off the game.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Dareon posted:

So tell me again how you only have to replay mission 11 7 times before it changes to Reunion? Because I must've gone through it at least 12 by now. GMP reward is down to 70, I have thoroughly exhausted every means of beating her that doesn't involve a tank (I used that on Extreme), and I've gotten so bored with the fight I've actually gone and beaten some of the Extreme etc. repeat missions to take a break from it.

And no, I haven't executed her or run away.

Giving us a great and cool boss fight that leads to a neat party member: Good. Taking that party member away: Ambivalent. Giving us a means to get them back: Good. Making that method replaying that cool boss fight until every scrap of entertainment value is sucked out of it and the experience becomes less pleasurable than eating a cardboard box: Bad.

Are you extracting her or killing her?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Is there a MG: Online thread anywhere? I just started playing that and kinda like it. Would love to see some tips etc.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
What's easier, S ranking all the missions or completing all the side objectives? I'm concentrating on the side objectives right now because each run through there's a chance of completing at least some of them, but S ranking is kind of all or nothing obviously. Also, any missions I've already S ranked are great for using A rank restricting equipment, and its definitely fun going hog wild with all the gadgets to cheese a mission for a specific objective.

I'm still at 85% :byodood: I can't believe there's pretty much one sixth of the game that I still haven't completed after like 300 hours of playing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Panfilo posted:

What's easier, S ranking all the missions or completing all the side objectives? I'm concentrating on the side objectives right now because each run through there's a chance of completing at least some of them, but S ranking is kind of all or nothing obviously. Also, any missions I've already S ranked are great for using A rank restricting equipment, and its definitely fun going hog wild with all the gadgets to cheese a mission for a specific objective.

I'm still at 85% :byodood: I can't believe there's pretty much one sixth of the game that I still haven't completed after like 300 hours of playing.

They're both easy but the side objectives is less fun. It's been a long time since I did it now, but some were buggy too.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
S-ranking is easier, by far. Side objectives are sometimes dumb, buggy, exclude getting other side objectives (requiring multiple runs per mission), are made impossible if you do the mission task first by, etc.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
S ranking takes less time than all the dumb objectives.

So you have to do this Quiet thing 7 times in a row and not break it up with other missions ? That's loving annoying. I thought I was halfway there, but I'm really at square one still. Dumb dumb dumb.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Panfilo posted:

S rank a mission before getting all the objectives (unless you can manage both at once).

If you want 100% you also need all the animals, all the box delivery invoices, and all the key dispatch missions completed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno, I enjoy some of the side objectives. I think the conversation ones are my favorite because Snake just decides to be Sam Spade for a little while I guess.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

On your first leap into an unknown mission, pulling an S demands pretty good gameplay with hopefully at least some found bonus objectives and keeping from getting caught even once.

On subsequent tries, you know enough that you can snatch the core objective with an explosive blitz and gently caress off into the sunset before the smoke clears for a guaranteed top rank, even if you leave a big red smear in your wake.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Look Sir Droids posted:

S ranking takes less time than all the dumb objectives.

So you have to do this Quiet thing 7 times in a row and not break it up with other missions ? That's loving annoying. I thought I was halfway there, but I'm really at square one still. Dumb dumb dumb.

I just assumed I had to do that. It's not too hard if you just bring DD and punch her out with the bionic arm. It takes only two hits.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

I had to do it about 8 or 9 times, including a restart because I honestly had never executed her, if you set your scope to sleeping gas bombardment you can 1 hit KO her from the mission start, and sprint nearly to her body/resting place, skip all the cut scenes and repeat.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Look Sir Droids posted:

Not sure why so many people act like this fight is hard or even time consuming. Hell just drop in with a tank, shoot her 4 or 5 times and a few skipped cutscenes later it's over. Took maybe 30min or so. When I first heard about getting her back I heard the number of tries was actually random, not a hard 7. I thought it took me 8 tries but I definitely could have miscounted.

For side objectives I actually found them way more fun simply because I could use stealth camo and infinite ammo and wreck poo poo. S ranks are mostly just about speed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just wanna say that the gameplay in mgsv has ruined other games for me. I tried playing Witcher 3 yesterday and the controls are so clunky compared to how amazingly smooth V is.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ChesterJT posted:

Not sure why so many people act like this fight is hard or even time consuming. Hell just drop in with a tank, shoot her 4 or 5 times and a few skipped cutscenes later it's over. Took maybe 30min or so. When I first heard about getting her back I heard the number of tries was actually random, not a hard 7. I thought it took me 8 tries but I definitely could have miscounted.

For side objectives I actually found them way more fun simply because I could use stealth camo and infinite ammo and wreck poo poo. S ranks are mostly just about speed.

Good lord people, I know the fight is easy. I dont need your hot take tips. I just don't want to do it 7 times in a row and never thought it had to be consecutive.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just wanna say that the gameplay in mgsv has ruined other games for me. I tried playing Witcher 3 yesterday and the controls are so clunky compared to how amazingly smooth V is.

Yeah, mgs5 has maybe the best and smoothest third person game controls to date. I only wish two things came back from 4: toggle for wall hugging and a button to lie on your back (triangle in 4 IIRC).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What are you even looking to do with Quiet, exactly? I'm not sure she's even that useful compared to the other buddies past a certain point in the game anyways.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Raxivace posted:

What are you even looking to do with Quiet, exactly? I'm not sure she's even that useful compared to the other buddies past a certain point in the game anyways.
Did you never use the cover me command? It's basically turns on easy mode with no rank penalty.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

Good lord people, I know the fight is easy. I dont need your hot take tips. I just don't want to do it 7 times in a row and never thought it had to be consecutive.

It doesn't have to be consecutive. I broke mine up with side ops and it was all cool.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

How to cheese quiet reunion.

Use minimal loadout (I used cheap shotgun, water pistol, no tools or items, leopard print. Just take whatever lowest GMP cost loadout you can make)
Hit her with sleep arty
Skip cut scenes
Repeat

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

therealjon_ posted:

It doesn't have to be consecutive. I broke mine up with side ops and it was all cool.

Okay, then I'm no longer irritated. :frog:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In case it hasn't been said: MGSV controls are really good. MGS4 was really good bu they really outdid themselves by making animations flow together smoother. Also the dive button should be in every game ever.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I do like the new online dispatch missions. You can actually get S+ ranked recruits without doing invasions, and the new recruits are guaranteed, so even if I get the worst outcome and lose all the S rank troops I put in, I still feel like I've made progress.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Panfilo posted:

Re: S rank vs side objectivess: it varies by mission. Like all games, the "listen to all conversations" objectives will be a pain in the dick, but easier with stealth camo. Some S ranks are easy to cheese.

Re: percentage: alot of your remaining percentage is tied up in side objectives and S ranking completions (assuming you caught all gerbils in the world already). I plateaued there: it took me a week to get from 80% to 95% and a couple hours to get from 95% to 100%

Edit: on the topic of Quiet, it think it took me less than 7, felt like 5 or 6 tries.

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 15, 2015

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Ugh. Mission 43. Did you really have to pick all of my best soldiers, game? I just lost twenty researchers, 14 ranked S, 5 ranked S+, and one A++ woman. Bah. I think I just lost five ranks in R&D. And loving Emmerich has to whine at me the whole drat time. Shut the gently caress up, Huey. Don't make me bring up what happened ten years ago.

EDIT, after running another mission: Emmerich, you absolute son of a bitch. "War and violence can never lead to peace" is a hell of a statement from a man who just engineered a bioweapon. Too bad series continuity requires him to die a different way, because I'd be willing to put a cap in him right now. Guess Kojima can write sometimes, even if it makes very little sense.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 15, 2015

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I'm at 89% and I only have 68% of the objectives. Everything else is 100% except 95% key items (tied to S Ranks) and 85% animals.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

WaltherFeng posted:

In case it hasn't been said: MGSV controls are really good. MGS4 was really good bu they really outdid themselves by making animations flow together smoother. Also the dive button should be in every game ever.

Yeah, even though I'm getting to the point where I'm about ready to put the game down for a couple years (I"ve logged at least 140 hours if not many more by this point), it still blows me away how smooth and good the movement feels. My only gripe is that sometimes crawling feels awkward and slow and vehicles handle oddly, but other than that the controls are really nice.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Gonna have to hit up some combat platforms to get the common metal I need for gun cameras.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

David Corbett posted:

Ugh. Mission 43. Did you really have to pick all of my best soldiers, game? I just lost twenty researchers, 14 ranked S, 5 ranked S+, and one A++ woman. Bah. I think I just lost five ranks in R&D. And loving Emmerich has to whine at me the whole drat time. Shut the gently caress up, Huey. Don't make me bring up what happened ten years ago.

EDIT, after running another mission: Emmerich, you absolute son of a bitch. "War and violence can never lead to peace" is a hell of a statement from a man who just engineered a bioweapon. Too bad series continuity requires him to die a different way, because I'd be willing to put a cap in him right now. Guess Kojima can write sometimes, even if it makes very little sense.

If you have them on direct contract they won't get chosen for that mission. But yes looking through the former staff list after that is like... gently caress

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Sad part is I have all the resources for the gun camera, but since I'm already researching 4 things at a time I have to wait 2 days to start. :(

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

David Corbett posted:

Regarding Huey, I was totally ready to just gun him down then and there but I think that drowning yourself in shame after getting cucked by your son is a much better punishment.

(gently caress Huey)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Went and tested the High durability SMG/Pistol suppressor. Not sure if it's different between different weapons, but it lasts exactly as many shots as the Wu has in a single loadout, so basically exactly 30. If you use the Grade 5 Wu AP instead of the integrated suppressor version, it's more or less the same as having the integrated suppressor so far as FOBs and the like are concerned. So you can use the much cheaper version that can also destroy lights and the only thing it really loses over the Grade 6/8 regular Wu is the Grade 8's dot sight, and that's completely not worth it if you're used to the decent ironsight on the Wu.

Only 1 day left on the AR/Sniper suppressor, and 7 or so for the Grade 8 Wu to test the underbarrel. :shepicide:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pro tip for Reunion: sleeping gas fire support is insta win

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The suppressors last differing numbers of shots on different guns I guess. The MACHT 37 with the High durability suppressor can get through almost 90 rounds before breaking, I lost count but it was somewhere into the third magazine so somewhere in the 80-90 range.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Have people tested the new security devices? Someone said even with the rank 2 IR sensor you can still dive through it or just hang along the railing to bypass it. I kind of regret researching the first security upgrade I could get my hands on...

What will be very interesting is the upgraded antitheft device; if it goes off if someone so much as steps on it/gets near it, that could be super useful; base development platform (a popular platform to invade because there's tons of stuff to steal and the core is easy to reach) has a lot of antitheft devices, and it'll be interesting to see an invader setting them off when sneaking between containers.

Even if they don't call a defender, with long range defense if it gets snipers scanning through their scopes and guards looking through binoculars, that's pretty good because once they are suspicious they have a HUGE detection range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The theft sensors do indeed go off if you get even kinda near them. Watch one of In It For The Tank's videos where he runs past an AA gun and the alarm goes off. They're pretty decent in that a lot of times they're scattered all over platforms even if there's no gun/container/nuke to steal, so a person could easily overlook it. The downside is all it does is trigger a standard search alert, not a combat alert, so a player can wait it out.

• Locked thread