Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Naw self-doxxing to "win" an Internet slap fight over a space ship scam is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

why won't they put release dates on anything octopode.

the release dates.

this is a lawyer.

Because the negative reaction to missing those dates due to their inability to estimate outweighs any gains from doing so by a lot, and they finally learned that after being burned enough by it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Octopode posted:

Because the negative reaction to missing those dates due to their inability to estimate outweighs any gains from doing so by a lot, and they finally learned that after being burned enough by it.
Would you say their "inability to estimate" extends to anything else in the company and in SC development? Like budget, staff, projected feature complexity, cutting cake?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
To recap:

I said that there's no way for them to know how long it will take them to program the game, particularly this game with its lets-glue-together-a-bunch-of-different-poo poo design philosophy, which is why it's silly to say that programming will be done in a much shorter frame than making art assets.

You said:

quote:

it's not too hard to take the concept for the finished game, dissect it into required component systems and their relative complexity, and compare that against what's been demonstrated thus far to get a rough idea of completion and how far they have left to go.

Now you're saying:

quote:

That's exactly right. They're unable to estimate it. They've tried in the past and failed. I am glad we've resolved yet another pressing issue.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
When is AP going to post the rest of the annual accounts for the other companies? I really need these accounts :flaccid:

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 15, 2015

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Octopode posted:

Because the negative reaction to missing those dates due to their inability

That's all you needed to say

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Octopode posted:

A sign of a good company is having a complete inability to estimate project release dates.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I really feel like Octopode might be coming closer to being self aware, but somehow :gary:

dude, every time you post here soemone dresses you down thoroughly and you have no answer to it other than to shut up and leave for awhile or to just stop talking to them. how many people are you gonna ignore in this thread before you realize that maybe it's not them that are being stupid?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

To recap:

I said that there's no way for them to know how long it will take them to program the game, particularly this game with its lets-glue-together-a-bunch-of-different-poo poo design philosophy, which is why it's silly to say that programming will be done in a much shorter frame than making art assets.

You said:

Now you're saying:

That's exactly right. They're unable to estimate it. They've tried in the past and failed. I am glad we've resolved yet another pressing issue.
Comparing percent complete to percent currently planned rough orders of magnitude and estimating specific release dates are significantly different tasks. The former ought inform the latter, but the latter isn't a prerequisite for a reasonable estimate of the former, particularly in an environment where plans and goals change often.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ZenMaster posted:

Wouldn't selling new ships at 1-2 bucks a pop be more lucrative than hundreds? I mean, if every backer bought a new ship (if it was made affordable) when it came out that would be a million bucks, but funding is nowhere near that.

because not every backer actually follows this poo poo

incoming wild speculation:

let's postulate that the "1,000,000 backers" is roughly accurate

let's also postulate that everyone subscribed to r/starcitizen is a whale-type-- roughly 60,000 people-- and the other 9,940,000 940,000 backers don't really give a poo poo one way or another-- they just bought in at a "digital copy" level and are just waiting for IGN to announce a Star Citizen release to say "oh yeah I backed that, didn't I?"

with those (flawed and generalized, but probably not super wrong) assumptions in mind, it means that 9.9 million 940,000 people backed at the $35 level for ~33 million dollars total, and the other 63+ million dollars comes from 60,000 people who were willing to spend, on average, just north of $1,000 on a nonexistent video game

i'd say that nailed their target audience pretty drat well, i don't think many microtransaction real games can claim to have made 63 million dollars from less than a hundred thousand players

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 15, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Octopode posted:

Comparing percent complete to percent currently planned rough orders of magnitude and estimating specific release dates are significantly different tasks. The former ought inform the latter, but the latter isn't a prerequisite for a reasonable estimate of the former, particularly in an environment where plans and goals change often.

I am now convinced you have been loving with the entire thread for like 3 threads now. No one can type that sentence without realizing how dumb it is.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Octopode posted:

Comparing percent complete to percent currently planned rough orders of magnitude and estimating specific release dates are significantly different tasks.

This sentence is unreadable.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 15, 2015

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I don't see how the programmer's broken wrist is a problem. He should just shout "computer, run program CIG FPS ONE" into his mouse and the game should compile.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Octopode posted:

particularly in an environment where plans and goals change often.
And why the gently caress is that happening so many years from the start?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

And why the gently caress is that happening so many years from the start?

I totally bet it has to do with Derek's blogs and the refunds.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Octopode posted:

an environment where plans and goals change often.

Video game development should not be an environment where plans and goals change often, especially not over 4 years and with 92 million dollars on the line. It's one thing to cut or add features based on time and money, but CIG dumped an entire engine and the assets made for it halfway through production for no fiscally justifiable reason.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I can't believe they've already wasted five years of development.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

drkeiscool posted:

Video game development should not be an environment where plans and goals change often, especially not over 4 years and with 92 million dollars on the line. It's one thing to cut or add features based on time and money, but CIG dumped an entire engine and the assets made for it halfway through production for no fiscally justifiable reason.

A large project requires significant planning at the start. Rather than say, just doing stuff with no coordination or consideration of the budget constraints. Perhaps you might spend $500k on furniture and computers for something to do. When people move out of offices there are large volumes of furniture left behind with an effective value of zero. They might also have large concealed debts such as long leases for these fancy new offices. I'm wondering if they're still paying for the leases on the previous offices as well. It's an exciting time for CRoberts dozen or so companies.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

I don't see how the programmer's broken wrist is a problem. He should just shout "computer, run program CIG FPS ONE" into his mouse and the game should compile.

"Computer, could you kick up the 4d3d3d3? And give me a Flarhgunnstow?"

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

sick reference bro

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Siri create the best drat space sim ever quickly thanks

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Fil5000 posted:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Starkk posted:

sick reference bro

Computer add starkk to ignored users

I'm just funnin' you're ok

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Computer add starkk to ignored users

I'm just funnin' you're ok

hey i follow you on ye ol' tweeter

but no really i love star trek its a good reference

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
In a mold breaking, cutting edge new transparent way of making a gaem, why does no one actually have a clue about anything?
sounds a bit like bollocks to me.

Edit :lets try some jokes :
How many companies does it take to make one game?
How many mocap studios does it take to make a game about flying spaceships in space?

Compare and contrast : the technology behind creating localized gravity fields Vs golf carts that explode in flames.

staberind fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 15, 2015

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

rip scotty

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

staberind posted:

In a mold breaking, cutting edge new transparent way of making a game, why does no one actually have a clue about anything?

I think we can pack it in, no one can say it better than that.

We can keep the thread going for at least another 100 pages on :gary: PAAAAAAARRRRRRP :yarg: alone, though.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

... it means that 9.9 million people backed at the $35 level...

That is a lot more backers than I was expecting, and Star Citizen is up to a third of a billion dollars!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
You would think after six years they'd have more to show than a half-broken module and four ships?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

OhDearGodNo posted:

In other words, you're making poo poo up and have no clue. You wrote all of that just to say you're making guesses and really don't know.

The reason you get poo poo on is not because you're defending SC. There's another goon that does and nobody laughs at them. The goon doesn't post ad hominem responses, doesn't post about things they don't know, and doesn't sugarcoat things with paragraphs of random boilerplate.

This. Octopode, so far you had it easy because the only competition was from Karl and his like but now a new challenger appeared and if you want to keep up your "Most Reasonable Shitizen" mantle you need to step up your game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

stuff keeps working in here.

What's your favourite Stargate episode?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I don't really see them defending cig as much as trying to provide insight into the processes behind the scenes. (& who possibly may still chargeback)

unlike octo, who's just :shrek: for reasons known only to themselves.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Madcosby posted:

i guess you could say his wrists are

two weaks

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

it is official, CIG is really making/selling images instead of games

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
That broken wrist thing is real? Sounds more like a joke or a line from alanis morissette's ironic

isn't ironic
it's like 94 million dollars in your game's budget
and everything's delayed
because your lead programmer's wrist breaks

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

LastCaress posted:

That broken wrist thing is real? Sounds more like a joke or a line from alanis morissette's ironic

isn't ironic
and everything's delayed

It certainly fits the general pattern of nothing in the song being remotely ironic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EminusSleepus posted:

Outstanding fps on that stationary view of an asteroid belt.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

EminusSleepus posted:

Ah space rocks. The most beautiful objects that can be found in space. Look at them, majestically doing nothing and being grey while you inexplicably point your pistol at them. The best drat space sim ever.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

radd posted:

That is a lot more backers than I was expecting, and Star Citizen is up to a third of a billion dollars!

hah, didn't realize i hosed up the backer numbers making the post until you quoted it, i think my brain was just stuck in "millions" mode talking about the money

i got the numbers right when I did the math, though, so at least i wasn't completely talking out of my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

LastCaress posted:

isn't ironic
and everything's delayed

It's like 10 thousand ships
when all you need is a life

It's like spending 10 mil on actors
then giving top billing to your wife

Holy poo poo where's 3? We're onto something here...

• Locked thread