Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I'll just take Gary listening to Carlin's podcast and reacting. 9 hour episode including pausing it to laugh and make dick jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

TontoCorazon posted:

Dan should guest host The Dollop. I'm pretty sure Dan Carlin knows about some really crazy poo poo.

Isn't that what Hardcore History was supposed to be? A show about stuff that history majors talk/laugh about in their lunch breaks.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Popelmon posted:

Isn't that what Hardcore History was supposed to be? A show about stuff that history majors talk/laugh about in their lunch breaks.

v:confused:v Beats me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Popelmon posted:

I don't think so; the earlier shows were more about themes than subjects (eg "was Alexander worse than Hitler?"), but he's drifted away from that over time. The idea made a comeback with Blitz episodes ("what sort of effect did alcohol/drugs have on history"), but he hasn't done one of those in ages either.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
America's Best History Teacher Doesn't Work At A School

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Happy he managed to sneak in a boxing (well, fist fight) metaphor.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Popelmon posted:

OK, you were right!

quote:

"Historians and transmitters of history have rarely been the same people," [Carlin] said in a Reddit AMA, invoking Homer and Herodotus as early examples of great communicators. "Hardcore History," he went on, was "designed… for other 'history geeks' like me. The group that sat around a pizza and some beers after history class and got into the weird, fun questions on history (and getting into debates about things)."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

This podcast is so good it's dangerous. I've started doing dishes and housework just so I can hide in the back of the house with my headphones.

Not ashamed to say that I do this too. I also don't mind taking the longer way around while driving.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not ashamed to say that I do this too. I also don't mind taking the longer way around while driving.

When I moved and my 5-minute commute turned into a 35-minute one, Hardcore History made it way more palatable. Same with doing dishes. I can't count how many times I've listened to Death Throes of the Republic or Ghosts of the Osfront over the years.

Peace Frog
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks to the many recommendations for the Lesser Bonapartes I jumped in to the Aztec series and I'm loving it so far. I've just started the final episode. I was surprised at how compelling they managed to make the "exposition" episodes. A lesser podcast would have just started right on Cortes.

One thing that has been breaking my concentration is their weird pronunciation of certain words:

"ALIEM"
"JAGOIRE"

Is that a US regional thing, or what?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aliem is a running gag of the series they use to mock Ancient Aliens types.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

if jagoire is "jaguar" then yea that's how we say it instead of stressing the U

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Yeah, Americans don't say "jag-u-are", we pronounce it "jag-waar".

Laughing at the "Guy Fieri of history" quote. Also the pic of Dan with hair on his head and not on his face circa 1995.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I always thought it was like jag-wire.

But I'm from the boonies, so that's probably just the white trash talking.

Hey, Does anyone know of any good podcasts on the history of the middle east?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Geez, you guys weren't kidding about The Dollop. I tried it when it originally came up in the thread but got immediately turned off by the hosts laughing and goofing around. I eventually listened to The Rube and was blown away. The over-laughing still annoys me a bit, but if anyone in here hasn't given it a full chance because of that just listen in full to that episode and you'll change your tune.

What are some of the top episodes outside of that? I've listened to a few, including the Dolphin episode, but I just feel intimidated by this wall of episodes.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Geez, you guys weren't kidding about The Dollop. I tried it when it originally came up in the thread but got immediately turned off by the hosts laughing and goofing around. I eventually listened to The Rube and was blown away. The over-laughing still annoys me a bit, but if anyone in here hasn't given it a full chance because of that just listen in full to that episode and you'll change your tune.

What are some of the top episodes outside of that? I've listened to a few, including the Dolphin episode, but I just feel intimidated by this wall of episodes.

loving definitely ten cent beer night. Holy poo poo ten cent beer night is right there with Rube. Also the first live one with Patton Oswalt.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
If you don't know anything about the Kellogg brothers, that's a really jaw dropping story

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

If you don't know anything about the Kellogg brothers, that's a really jaw dropping story

Oh yeah, the minute Patton realized what the podcast was about was downright hilarious.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
My favourite Dollop episodes:

2. Purity Balls
3. Competitive Endurance Tickling
4. Ghosts
5. Hugh Glass
6. The Tank Chase
10. The Jackson Cheese
15. Ten Cent Beer Night
46. The Cereal Men
51. Michael Malloy
77. Thomas Kinkade
104. The Hippo Bill

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I found Rainbow Man particularly memorable as well, didn't know anything bout that story and boy does it spiral into places you don't expect

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
How the gently caress did nobody mention the David Hahn episode. The boy scout who built a home made nuclear reactor in his dad's backyard shed in suburban Michigan. that episode was so incredible I listened to it three times. The dollop is super funny and is my 2nd fave historical podcast after dan carlin.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

LAPD series is pretty good too.

Ferguson and Iraq war are good if you want to be depressed.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Trabandiumium posted:

Ferguson and Iraq war are good if you want to be depressed.

Man I didn't like these at all. I think its best when its something obscure and good fodder for jokes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I dropped the Dollop because of how lovely they were being during the whole plagiarism thing but Samuel Whittemore is a hell of a listen.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 15, 2015

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Trabandiumium posted:

Wow, really? Like the previous poster said, the weirder the better. Tbh the two are not the smartest of the bunch, and anything that requires a wider grasp of history and politics comes out feeling a bit tortured. Iraq was ok, but imho nothing to really talk about.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Going through the archives of the Dollop to find some underappreciated gems, I really enjoyed No. 113 - Reg Spiers, No. 109 - Mad Dan Morgan, 104 - The Hippo Bill, 93 - The Dole Plane Race, 87 - Action Park!, 71 - The Spite Fence, 64 - Philly Fans, 60 - Comet Panic, 58 - Lenny Dykstra, 47 - Bricklayer Bill, 32 - The Leatherman, 29 - The Pinto, and 23, The Willie Dee.

Action Park and Willie Dee are pretty important to listen to. They're real good.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Dan Carlin out with a new Common Sense addressing the Paris bombings

Edit- holy poo poo, he really goes off on like, everything

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 16, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh poo poo Skeptoid did an episode on "420: The Cannabis Code"? Sounds potentially boring material but hearing Brian Dunning's smug alien voice talking about weed should be interesting while I'm on weed.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TontoCorazon posted:

Oh yeah, the minute Patton realized what the podcast was about was downright hilarious.

The Boston Corbett one has the same effect

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Dan Carlin out with a new Common Sense addressing the Paris bombings

Edit- holy poo poo, he really goes off on like, everything

The subject hits a bit too close to home so I'm not going to listen, but would you mind going into a bit more detail? I'm curious to know what he says.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The new Common Sense was pretty great. The first part about the Bill Gates article was super interesting and I think he was spot on about the Paris stuff. Also: Boxing analogy!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The subject hits a bit too close to home so I'm not going to listen, but would you mind going into a bit more detail? I'm curious to know what he says.

The big thing is that he hopes people don't overreact to this in a similar way in which we ended up with the Patriot act.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I think Dan Carlin might be the first person to compare isis to Mohammad Ali. I liked his point that terrorism is a problem that basically can't be solved short of a complete orwellian nightmare of a society and anyone who claims otherwise is ignorant or dishonest.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CountFosco posted:

The big thing is that he hopes people don't overreact to this in a similar way in which we ended up with the Patriot act.

Right thanks. Well. Seems a bit too late for that.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Peace Frog posted:

the Aztec series

I'm having trouble finding this, and I'm really interested. Is it by the same people as the Lesser Bonapartes?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

bollig posted:

I'm having trouble finding this, and I'm really interested. Is it by the same people as the Lesser Bonapartes?

It's a series of Lesser Bonapartes episodes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mike Duncan wrote a thing

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It blows my mind that he needed to write said thing, what an insane comparison.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Haha Niall Ferguson is such a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I don't know, replying to such a thing makes you look like an idiot as well. Unless the original article garnered a lot of interest, it's like hand-picking a dumb tweet to showcase how smart you are.