Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Yeah they seem bigger then I expected them to be on the forums, I'll just put in a screenshot test poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

And Reimu uses Fantasy Nature to float above the concept of many world theory.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You better have a good explanation for bringing Lunasa in this Reimu-run. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm glad somebody's listening to the original thread title.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
So, what happens if you have animations on for the ReimuxReimu teams? Does the game just crash?

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

The game functions fine with animations on including support attacks. In fact I forgot to get a picture of one of the Reimu's fantasy sealing Kisume which can look pretty goofy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

No intermissions this chapter because I'm on a tight timetable this weekend. I might add some later, I might not.

------

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Hall
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

I came back to the surface because I missed humanity.

quote:

Underworld
Music: Bizarre Smile

Full Text

quote:

Yuugi and I are basically dating in this game.

------

quote:

A Bridge to the Surface

Music: Confusion in the Moonlight

Reimu posted:

...The cave opened up again.

I can see lights down below. Is that a youkai town?

Yup. That's the old capital, where the oni live. And right up ahead is that bridge I was telling you about.

It doesn't look like the guard youkai's here, so let's just snea-

Hold on, I'm detecting the approach of an enormous aura!

Yuugi posted:

Whoa, what's THAT?!

A flying boat?! Was this thing making all that racket?

A couple of youkai showed up. I guess that's the guard from the bridge?

It looks that way. The slender one would be the infamous Hashihime then. Then the heavyset one would be-

Oh, I recognize that face!

Do you know her?

It's not a matter of knowing her! You watch your attitude around her too, Sanae. That's one of the Four Devas of the Mountain. The oni, Yuugi Hoshiguma!

Whaaat?! That's the same group Suika's part of!

Oh, it really is Yuugi. And she's with Parsee Mizuhashi.

Sounds like someone on that boat knows me.

That drunken voice... is that...?

Hey, Yuugi, how've ya been?

It IS Suika! Long time no see!

...Suika, huh? You DID always get along with her...

Yeah, until she wandered out of the Underworld a little while ago.

So what brings you here today? Don't tell me that stupid huge ship of yours is a souvenir!

Nah, that's not it. We're just looking into something.

It's a long story, but there's a dangerous incident occurring on the surface right now. At this rate, not just the Human Village, but all of Gensokyo will be affected.

Humans? You mean it's not just oni on that ship?

Yes. We're aware of the noninterference pact, but this is a state of emergency. If you let us investigate, we won't cause any trouble.

You can't tell us that and just expect us to go "Oh, okay then." And as soon as the youkai in town find out, they're kicking you out anyway.

I see, I see. So Suika brought humans from the surface with her. It's kind of a waste to let it just end like that though.

Huh? A waste of what?

Hey, surface people! Wanna settle this with a quick throwdown?!

Wha-?!

Yuugi?! How can you make a promise like that?

This won't even be a fight, anyways. No matter how many there are, you'll just blow 'em away.

Have a little faith. These are our first guests in a long while, and on top of that they're friends with SUIKA. Aren't you looking forward to this?

Drinking and fighting are the flowers of the Underworld! C'mon, my fist is itching for this!

*sigh* There she goes again.

What could be going on? She's getting awfully fired up over there.

Hmm, once Yuugi gets going she won't listen to a word we say until we stop her rampage.

If we're gonna talk, it'll have to be through our fists! Only one way this is going!

Good grief. Guess I should have seen this coming.

Tewi posted:

And we run into an ONI too?! This trip is just one disaster after another.

I can't help it if you wanna complain, but now that it's come to this there's no choice but to suck it up.

Actually, communicating through a fight makes this simpler for us.

If we win, you'll let us through and tell us everything you know. It's incredibly straightforward.

Already planning for after you win? Well, if you've got the strength to back it up then I don't mind. And that's a promise! On the honor of an oni!

Sheesh, once you decide on something you won't budge an inch.

You surface folks just march right in, without a second thought to your position here. Are you brave, or just stupid? Your strength will show which!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Yuugi.
Defeat: The Palanquin Ship is defeated.
Bonus: Clear the stage without using bombs. Furthermore, defeat Parsee and Yuugi on the same turn.

This is a cool map. Up here is Parsee's bridge,

and far down here is a city.

The basic concept of this stage is to split your army up into your A Team and your B Team. The former will go after Yuugi, and the latter will face Parsee.

Since she's the vanguard of B Team, Letty takes the brunt of the assault.

And since she sucks, Tewi also faces her share of attacks. She's surrounded by Support Defenders so I didn't bother to cast Alert.

Oh, here's a funny quirk. Thanks to a silly quirk with Ghostly Butterfly Dance, when Yuyuko Support Defends someone she has a pretty good chance of outright dodging the enemy attack. Ignoring the fact that this should mean the attack hits Tewi anyways (:v:), it throws her up to one of the best Support Defenders in the game because not even Meiling takes zero damage from attacks.

Can't say I'm really feeling Ghetto Border Team. Sanae is not nearly dodgy enough to dive headfirst into enemy formations like Reimu can, which means Yukari's Accels and Support Defend safety nets are of limited use. They don't have a friendship either.

Meanwhile The Full Moon's Red Eyes are just kind of eh. Sakuya and Reisen share weapon ranges, but Sakuya does way more damage. And with Meiling also nearby, there's no real reason for me to ever put Reisen in front.

Which works out since Reisen's true purpose this chapter is to survive till she hits the boss.

I was kinda hoping for it, but I never though we'd actually run into you down here, Yuugi.

So you miss the oni then?

They're my buddies after all. 'Course, that has nothing to do with the investigation.

By the way, thanks for not telling Yukari when I left!

...How cold of you.

Music: Oni's Island

Suika really should be on my B Team, but come on.

Shizuha finally learned her L3 friendship buff skill. :toot:

I can scarcely believe we ran into an oni right after we were talking about them. What are the odds?

Princess, you shouldn't get too close without taking stock of the situation.

Actually, you probably shouldn't get involved with these Underworld folks at all.

After coming this far with the investigation? How dull. I want to try seeing these sealed youkai from closer up.

I just hope that curiosity doesn't get you stuck as crow food.

I was expecting Kaguya to kill this crow.

Eirin to the rescue.

Alice is only nine enemies away from a cool 200 kills. Yes, Magic Team has been slaughtering that many grunts.

Also seeing the (red) movement range on this bridge is really annoying! :argh:

I eventually started feeling bad about Magic Team getting all the kills, so I had Alice start Evading.

By turn 4 I've gotten close enough that Yuugi and Parsee have started moving. Now to bait them towards my two teams.

wait no

...Surface youkai. Their faces are as bright as the sun...!

Eek! She's really glaring at us!

You're already monopolizing all the stuff we don't have, so what else have you leeches come to take? Why can't I ever go wild like that too?

Oh, so this the youkai of jealousy?

She's all dark and gloomy. Reminds me of you, sis!

...I'm not gloomy.

What's with that banter? You three get along so well it makes me so jealous!

If you're not gonna run, then my jealousy is gonna tear right through those bonds of yours!

Parsee has the best cut-in.

Parsee kept attacking Sanae, so I just had her stay still to stall until B Team could get in range of Parsee.

I'm a shrine maiden too. Even if it comes to fighting, I won't lose to Reim-

You're already focused on someone else, so this'll be easy.

Try to remember what can she do that you can't... Aren't you getting jealous?

M-Maybe I do think like that sometimes. Reimu never flinches from anything, and she shines so brightly...

Right, that's it. Why don't we nurture that feeling together!

Meanwhile A Team kept crawling closer to Yuugi.

All right! Finally, a fistfight!

Eeek! Her spirit alone is super strong!

Well, yeah. Back when we were in the Four Devas, they called her Yuugi the Strong. Spells are one thing, but when it comes to brute strength even I might not be a match for her.

What's with that?! If I take a direct hit, I'll end up splattered on the wall...

Oh come on, I wouldn't end it THAT fast. We don't get many guests from the surface.

Don't be shy now, come at me fair and square!

Music: A Single Oni Strikes as Hard as a Thousand, No Help Needed

As you probably expected, she hits really hard. Her danmaku field buffs all her Melee attacks by a further 20% too, which is no fun.

It took a while, but Parsee finally set her sights on the proper targets.

A fight with Suika, huh? I've been itching for this!

Yeah, same here!

It's been a while since we fought, but don't tell me you've gotten soft up there.

No need to worry. The folk on the surface are pretty good you know. What about you? Are you gonna disappoint me?

Don't be stupid. The strength of an oni. The strength of a Deva. Why don't I remind you?!

Yuugi is better than Suika in every conceivable way. It's kind of sad.

I finally finish setting up on turn 9.

Yuugi has two spells compared to Parsee's one, so she's going down first.

I can't believe a youkai picked a fight with us for such a dumb reason.

I am pretty sure you don't get to say that, Marisa.

You don't like it? Well, that's humans for you.

Don't be stupid. This'll be just like when we play danmaku with Suika.

In the end, you're just some villager we're talking to for clues in the middle of the dungeon. We'll beat you and find out what you know!

Final Spark's animation changes a bit to accommodate the fact the party is in the Underworld (instead of a sky it's just a black haze), but how is there a cloud cover underground?

Seriously Parsee?

Seriously?

Turn 10 marks the start of my actual offense. Suika throws on Missing Power,

which does literally nothing because Yuugi also has Oni. Remember how it nullifies all Size penalties so Suika wasn't complete trash? Well even though Yuugi has no reason to worry about those, she gets the same buffs!

You're the first oni I've met other than Suika.

Oh? So do you people get along with Suika?

Sometimes she comes up Youkai Mountain to drink with Lady Kanako and Lady Suwako. She's even tried to offer me a drink, but...

...So she's really living it up on the surface then. I kinda want to hear more about that. But after the fight!

Sanae grabs a Gained finish.

This bumps her all the way up to 49, letting her snag Shrine Maiden L7 and Living God L3. She's now as good as she'll ever be in this game.

I wouldn't have settled for any less!

I'm sure we're attacking her, but she hasn't budged an inch.

But our blows landed! She shouldn't be unbeatable!

That's the spirit. Looks like this'll be a good brawl.

So what do you think, Yuugi? These girls are worth fighting, right? They're a lively bunch too, enjoying both parties and fights.

Parties? So they've gotten that comfortable around you?

This might not have anything to do with us, but why don't you come too next time? I'm sure you'd get along with the humans up there these days.

You think?

Right. I've heard that the oni left the surface because they lost patience with the humans' cowardice. But with some kind of connection then I'm sure that if you came-

Ha ha ha! Don't misunderstand me!

I'm not like Suika, I couldn't care less about the surface.

Huh?

Actually, I'm grateful to the sage for that inviolable agreement. Thanks to that, this is oni paradise. We make our own rules, and no one gets in our way.

I never even thought about trying to get along with the humans.

So it's just like Yamame then? She has no expectations of the surface.

That's just how deep this gulf they made back then was.

Looks like there's a black sheep among the oni who didn't give up on the humans though.

...Well, I can't deny that.

Who cares about all that, let's keep fighting. I just can't help myself from enjoying this!

I wanna see what it took to get Suika's seal of approval. Will you be able to stand up to this torrent of strength beyond understanding?!

quote:

Oni Sign "Anomalies, Strength, Disorder, and Spirits"

Yuugi's oddly named spell pumps the base damage of enemy weapons by 500. It also features a sizable defense debuff, so if you're unfocused and get hit you're probably dead!

You look pretty human, but are you a youkai too?

Indeed. I came here with Reimu and the rest to investigate the incident. I never imagined I'd end up fighting an oni like you though.

Ha ha ha! No need to lose your nerve over a little thing like that. I know you surface youkai know how to lick humans' boots. Let's see what else you can do!

Not that Magic Team is getting hit while Marisa still has SP.

I was about to have Yuyuko cast Rally to get Calamity's Bow up and running, but then I remembered I have Magical Girl on Flandre. Whoops.

Doesn't stop her from hitting hard at least.

Oh? You've got some pretty cool moves.

It's chi control through martial arts. These techniques have 4000 years of history in the motherland!

I'll show you I can win through spirit and technique, even if I'm against an oni!

Yeah? Then bring it on! Show me those techniques of yours.

I was hoping Meiling and Sakuya could finish Yuugi off, so I had Tewi cast Bless. No dice.

Speaking of Tewi, she's just gonna hang out back here with Luna.

I can tell you two have the seed of jealousy.

Sisters are so close to each other that they've gotta be jealous of SOMETHING, right?

W-Well, I do kind of wish I could be as elegant as Shizuha's leaves...

What are you talking about? You're so popular with the humans...

Good, let those feelings burn even hottter-

But! I still think autumn is really all about the sweet potatoes!

But! Autumn is really all about the colors!

Their jealousy lost to those declarations?! These two really love being the center of attention!

Parsee is theoretically pretty dodgy, but even her massive Evasion stat isn't enough to make up for her awful Mobility.

She's a total wimp armor-wise too, to the point that Eirin finishes her off with a Team Attack.

Ugh, not only are they ganging up on us, but they're strong too?

Surrounding us with superior numbers... I'm sure you people are laughing at me, and thinking you're all hot stuff!

Er, not really...

I'd heard the stories, but she really is quite the annoying youkai.

But if she get upset, she'll be even more annoying. Alice, try to calm her down.

Huh? Why me?

I read in the newspaper that you've been nailing dolls to trees...

...I don't know what you're talking about. But if you want me to persuade her, then...

Miss Mizuhashi, I think we're in the wrong for suddenly showing up like this. However, if this incident spreads to the Underworld, then this would be for your sake-

For OUR sake? You're saying you're doing this for OUR sake? If that's how it is, then that's so ridiculously kind-hearted of you! That makes me so jealous!

Hey, Blondie! You made it even worse! So even though Yuuka likes you so much, you can't do it directly OR negotiate?!

I don't think Yuuka has anything to do with this.

Don't tell me that her power is fanning the flames of OUR jealousy too?

Heh. Fight each other. That's where the darkness takes root. Everyone has these ugly feelings. My power just draws them out.

Nothing can keep spurring on a heart forever like good old jealousy.

Watch out! An unpleasant sound is building up!

That swell of jealousy will become a green-eyed monster that chews right through your heart! Just try and run from your own feelings! Tear yourselves apart!

quote:

Jealousy Sign "Green-Eyed Monster"

That all changes with this spell's danmaku field. Parsee gets a buff to her attack, accuracy, and defense depending on how many upgrades the character attacking her has. If said character has more than the entire army's average rate (or god forbid, WP levels), Parsee completely stonewalls them then murders them for insane overkill.

:siren: Music: Resounding Wailing in the Hidden Heart :siren:
This is Ryza's favorite song!

Or at least she used to, but this spell gave so many players trouble that Sanbondo ultimately decided to nerf it. Now she's only reasonably strong.

It's still worth it to split your team up though. It's a cool stage gimmick!

Meanwhile, Sakuya finishes off Yuugi.

You're skilled! I like it!

I thought she'd be nothing but dumb muscle, but she pulled out this weird technique.

Anything called an oni can obviously do at least that much.

But I'm glad you girls are playing along. Why don't you show Yuugi the power of the surface?

Sounds like you're really interested in these surface folk, Suika. You planning on spending the rest of your life up there?

...Yeah. I did miss you guys, but I really like it better on the surface. You probably didn't know this, but humans these days are WAY funner.

So you haven't given up on them then.

I mean, isn't that how it was supposed to be in the first place?

I want to find out if the Underworld isn't the only place for the oni.

Suika, you-

So she's ignoring the odds of success and stubbornly trying to head outside.

But is what the other oni is thinking really acceptable either? You're not trapped in, so why choose the boring life of staying indoors?

What, you're saying our lives are boring?

But aren't they? The people on the surface are continuing to change. The humans you knew back then aren't the humans of today. Yet still, without even trying to know them, you're satisfied shutting yourselves up in this cave?

With that attitude, you'll never discover the charms of the surface that Suika's talking about.

...Are you riding on Suika's coattails to give me a lecture?

Ha ha ha! That's superb! I've never met anyone like you before!

You've got my interest! I can't wait to talk with you guys!

Oh, I didn't take you for the chatty sort, but-

No, I mean talk with my FISTS!

Take a good look at this, the Four Devas' Arcanum!

quote:

Four Devas' Arcanum "Knock Out in Three Steps"

Fittingly, Knockout in Three Steps has three fields. It drops Movement by 1, makes it so that characters in the center portion take 60% more damage (as a reference to that part being a death zone in the actual STG), and finally makes it so Yuugi automatically casts Strike and Fury at the beginning of every turn.

Green-eyed Monster is a MAP. Used to be a real pain since you were basically guaranteed to be unable to kill her before she could let one off, but now it just does decent damage.

Suika is not The One.

Whoops, my bad. Maybe I drank too much?

REISEN

YOU ARE THE ONE

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GET A VIDEO BUT FRAPS FAILED THE SECOND THIS BATTLE STARTED

WHICH IS KIND OF ANNOYING BUT AT LEAST I CAN GET THIS UPDATE OUT FASTER

ANYWAY GO BACK HOME REISEN

INCIDENTALLY IN THE ORIGINAL VERSION OF THIS GAME THIS ANIMATION'S DYNAMIC KILL BUGGED AND ALWAYS PLAYED, SO YUUGI WAS PUNCHING PEOPLE TO THE MOON 24/7

YORIHIME MUST HAVE BEEN PISSED

I'm exhausted, let me take a break.

I should be able to get the bonus next turn. Just have to make it through one more MAP.

Sheesh, go a little easier!

I wasn't exactly planning on losing but... I'll just entrust this battle to everyone else for now.

Man, Knox and Nages are going to be pissed.

Sorry, but this is it for me. You girls handle the rest!

And Marisa was out of Alerts so Yuugi smacked her.

Shizuha finishes off Parsee for a massive amount of XP. Thank you Cheer.

Ngh, geh!

All right! We beat her! Wait, wasn't that too easy?

I'm sorry, did we hurt you?

You can afford to worry about your opponent right after you beat her? That makes me so jealous!

She can even get jealous of a fairy? She's really committed to this.

That's enough, Parsee. Leave the rest to me.

What, you're saying I'd just get in your way?

No, I just don't want you to any more beat-up than you already are. Come to think of it, aren't I the one who forced you into this anyway?

Oh, so you noticed. A bit late for that, don't you think?

...But if you insist, I'll withdraw.

Parsee leaves.

...Wow, that was a quick 180.

We're lucky about that. Parsee has a truly fearsome power.

All that's left is Yuugi. Brace yourself, everyone!

And on the other side, Flandre takes out Yuugi. She drops another Oni's Horn.

:toot:

That was awesome!

If Parsee were still alive, she'd be appropriately shocked/concerned that Yuugi lost.

W-We did it. We overcame the special move of one of the Four Devas!

You're pretty solid! Not that I doubted you, of course.

I take it you've approved of us then?

Since we beat you, that means we're all Four Devas too, right?

...! Take a look at her sake dish, everyone!

You mean the one she's holding?

What about it? I'm not handing it over just 'cause you beat me. I just need a good drink after some exercise.

Why you... Did you make it through that entire fight without spilling a drop?!

I see, so no matter who you're up against you protect your pride. How stylish of you.

Same to you. You girls really made that fight fun.

So, since we won, can you answer some questions about the incident for us?

Of course. Oni never lie.

I think you said something about something happening on the surface?

That's right. We're looking into some vengeful spirits that have been gushing forth from the Underworld.

Hm? Did you say "vengeful spirits"?

Good grief, looks like we're finally getting to the core issue.

Let's take a moment to gather below and discuss our next move.

------

Here's the other boss convos.

Yuugi and Parsee's attributes are buffed on Lunatic, but that's about it. The fact that your main team is almost certainly upgraded to hell and back makes Parsee tougher though, and both of them have Fury so Support Defend isn't all that helpful.

I honestly just ignore the bonus for this chapter half the time.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 3, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Underworld
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

Everything weird started happening after Koishi sealed off her own power.

------

Yuugi Hoshiguma and Parsee Mizuhashi

There's no real point to taking the time to record videos for Parsee and Yuugi. You'll see why soon.

------

I see you've stopped the game. Thank you for your hard work.

...Now that Koishi's situation has been made public, Yukari is certain that Satori is involved. The most despised of all youkai on the surface, what does this mind reader have to do with the incident?

Continuing on our way to the Palace of Earth Spirits, we prepare to confront Satori's power.

Chapter 53 of Fantasy Maiden Wars I: "Passing by the Palace of Earth Spirits".

Please play until the end.

------

Total Cost: 50.0

Remilia (42)
Flandre (47)
Yuyuko (45)
Yukari (44)
Suika (44)
Eirin (48)
Kaguya (46)
Kanako (36)
Suwako (37)
Palanquin Ship (43) [Always forced.]

Reimu (48)
Marisa (48)
Ran (37)
Mokou (43)

Meiling (47)
Patchouli (40)
Sakuya (48)
Alice (48)
Youmu (45)
Reisen (46)
Komachi (40)
FA Nitori (41)
Momiji (41)
Aya (33)
Sanae (49)
Hatate (40)

Kurumi (32)
Elly (41)
Rumia (27)
Cirno (43)
Koakuma (37)
Letty (42)
Chen (41)
Lily White (42)
Lunasa (40)
Merlin (45)
Lyrica (41)
Wriggle (39)
Mystia (42)
Tewi (47)
Shizuha (37)
Minoriko (39)
Hina (35)
Nitori (41)
Nazrin (38)
Shou (40)

Daiyousei (42)
Sunny (40)
Luna (34)
Star (37)

I'm forcing Magic Team, so you get 44.5.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Akis are forever. 40.5.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think I might actually like it better if Parsee really did swear like a drunken sailor.

Team Friendly Fire Incident of Chen and FA Nitori for 36.0.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

BlitzBlast posted:

[MinoMad] Sheesh, go a little easier!

I think you missed an icon here.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eirin + Cirno, leaving 30.5

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Guess I'll go for standard. Sakuya and Meiling, leaving 25.5

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Komachi and Shou for 21.0 left

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was an amazing TVN translation. And I agree with Pureauthor, it actually made Parsee more likable than her constant "WHY ARE YOU X I'M SO JEALOUS" attitude.

Also you said Suika's permanent place is in the bench. I disagree. Suika + Suwako for team Get Drunk Yeah! (which...can apply to nearly everyone in this game, I guess), leaving 14.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
If anyone would talk like a pissed-off drunken sailor, I'd have thought it would be Yuugi. Amazing translation regardless :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A+++ translation work

i always read the summary and the full thing, it's very appreciated

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Remilia & Rumia for more people constantly on the bench, leaving 8.5.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also, I remember when FMW3 first released, and there were lots of complaints of Parsee oneshotting everyone and people unable to figure out what was going on.

Fun times.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Bring Aya and Yukari because you know why, 2.5

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

And Letty for the finish.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
What did you to do that translation? :gonk:

EDIT: The boss convos for Parsee are really good. Give Sanbondo credit, they did a good job showing why the underworld Youkai were sealed up.

legoman727 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 15, 2015

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

legoman727 posted:

What did you to do that translation? :gonk:

Wonderful things.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, that translation was pretty fun, though I just skipped Yugi's lines after the first couple. I always read the story sections because I'm almost a plot junky, so I do appreciate the effort you are putting in.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

wait what

why am i no longer a worthless piece of poo poo

why futo

i am so confused

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Nan desu ka (THE HELL IS THIS?!")

It's nice to see Marisa back in form and trolling the underground youkai while on her rpg adventure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am just going to assume that Parsee swearing all the time was the only thing not changed in that translation. I am glad that Sanbondo seemed to go all in on the jealousy thing because in the game proper Parsee is just kind of an rear end in a top hat, rather than the pettiest rear end in a top hat in existence. Yuugi was alright too, I liked her conversation with Kaguya. It's neat when characters who never interact in canon become buddies in this game, Sanbondo's pretty good at making cross-game friendships work.

Also, I am really mad that even in a chapter where she was force-deployed Suika didn't get an upgrade or anything. She's a Final Boss for God's sake, and technically a player character kind of. She deserves more than a single spell card. :argh:

BlitzBlast posted:

wait what

why am i no longer a worthless piece of poo poo

why futo

i am so confused

Be happy, because Futo is very cool.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Parsee is like the flattest actual boss character in SA, so Sanbondo pretty much just worked with what she has: jealousy jokes and a relationship with Yuugi because fans thought it'd be funny pairing the weird outcast nobody likes with the most influential and powerful person in the Underworld.

Though funnily enough, being Yuugi's unofficial girlfriend pretty much bootstrapped Parsee's popularity way up. It's actually kinda rare seeing one without the other now.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 15, 2015

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, I am really mad that even in a chapter where she was force-deployed Suika didn't get an upgrade or anything. She's a Final Boss for God's sake, and technically a player character kind of. She deserves more than a single spell card. :argh:

Suika has the best spells, too

maybe 4 will throw her a bone?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Parsee being jealous of anything and everything (including people being less petty than her) is how she's described in SoPM.

The joke translation is technically correct, as far as I know. Yeah, I liked her better in that part too.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That is a pretty interesting mechanic for someone who's powered by jealousy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So why did this update take so long? Well besides the fact I was away from my computer for a week thanks to an impromptu Thanksgiving break,

I finished the game, that's what. Finals are coming up and I'd rather not blow my weekends on this LP, so I asked the IRC for my final team and blazed through the rest of the game. The translation's mostly done too, so the rest of the chapters will be up when they're done.

------

quote:

Palace of Earth Spirits
Music: Night of the Wishing Star - Segment I

Full Text

quote:

I remember when my family life wasn't a mess.

(There's a whole bunch of people headed right here.)

What.

------

quote:

Passing by the Palace of Earth Spirits

Music: Confusion in the Moonlight

Yukari posted:

We've arrived. This is the Palace of Earth Spirits.

I guess we got a bit carried away, we didn't need to bring the ship along with us.

We came right through the front door, but there hasn't been a single guard. It's almost too quiet. What a lonely place.

That's just how it is here in the palace. Almost no one lives here, and no one visits.

Satori pops in on the other side of the hall.

...!

So there really was a flying ship from the surface. I can't believe you made it this far.

Here she comes, that's Satori Komeiji.

Is the boss really meeting us at the front door without her minions?

True, I don't see Orin or Okuu.

Yukari posted:

Satori Komeiji, I've come to speak with you.

I can't say I expected YOU to step off that ship, Yukari Yakumo.

We came here without going through the proper channels for a very good reason. For you see-

Yes, I see. So vengeful spirits are leaking out through a geyser on the surface.

!

You suspected the Underworld, so you came here, where we manage the spirits, to ask about it. And you brought large force with you because you wanted to be prepared for the possibility of hostility? How shrewd of you.

W-Wow. Miss Yukari hasn't even said anything yet.

I'd heard about it, but this must be what it really means to read minds.

That saved us some time, so let's get right to the point. This is all your fault, right?

Hardly. We'd have no reason to do something like that.

Even so, it's possible that there's been some kind of accident.

One of your servants, a youkai called Orin, can speak to spirits, correct? We'd like to borrow her.

...You mean to have her assist the investigation? Unfortunately, she's busy with work and isn't here at the moment.

Incidentally, while you're suspicious of her, she isn't the sort of girl to get up to mischief in secret.

Now, now, no one's seriously suspecting anyone. Why don't we all just sit down with some tea and-

Your mouth says one thing, but your real goal is to get inside.

Aw, she's onto me.

Looks like bluffing won't work on her. Not that we can just give up either.

It appears you have no intention of backing down, but I can't remain silent either.

You shall face me.

Youkai showed up. She's planning to fight!

The Palanquin Ship can't move from here, so you'll be on your own for this.

Everyone, deploy!

Minoriko posted:

Since she can read minds, I was kind of hoping we could come to an understanding without words...

I guess that just because she can tell what we really want from her doesn't mean she's gonna listen to our excuses.

Still, it seems like Satori really doesn't know anything about all this. She's WAY too unprepared for us for her to be the mastermind.

But she's the only lead we've got.

...I'd prefer it if you didn't interfere with our quiet lives. I'll send you home before Orin or Okuu show up.

quote:

Victory: Defeat Satori.
Bonus: Trigger Satori's first spell within 5 turns.

This chapter's bonus is a fun one to approach. The absolute easiest way to do it is to have Border Team spam Zeal and Accel to get to Satori on the first turn, but that's obviously out of the question for this run.

So instead I'm going to pile as many people onto the Palanquin Ship as I can,

then have Aya cast Accel and activate Supreme Speed.

Combined with the Tengu Feather and the Tengu Clogs, Aya's Move rockets all the way up to 18. Now she (or rather Yukari) just has to survive a turn, and then I can warp the entire ship past the enemy blockade.

Border Team can do this strategy even better both since they don't have to wait a turn and because Reimu is so overpowered she can go straight up to Satori instead of hiding near the sides.

But with Magic Team on the case, I can just have them draw the majority of enemy fire and call it a day.

Rin posted:

(...So the surface folks already got into a fight with Miss Satori?!)

(Well, so far no one's said that I'm the culprit, or revealed anything about Okuu. I've just gotta get them headed to the Remains of Blazing Hell before things get complicated.)

(But how exactly am I gonna do that?)

Music: Gale Winds! Whirlwind! Shameimaru!

Aya's underleveled, but she should be able to survive regardless.

And any issues Magic Team might have from getting ganged up on are nullified by Counter.

In what is probably the game mocking me, Aya is hit on a 20% but barely makes it by with one-digit HP.

Times like this make me wish Magic Team had their MAPs. :sigh:
People checked the .dats, and it turned out Alice was supposed to get a MAP along with Dolls War and Return Inanimateness. And Marisa, of course, has a boss-exclusive MAP version of Master Spark.

Anyway, I warp the Ship over,

cast a poo poo ton of spirits,

and fire away.

They only get two kills, but that's enough to jump Murasa to level 46. So she has Valor now!

From there I start deploying all my other units to clean up the grunts, starting with Servant Team. Hitching a ride in the ship dropped everybody's Power by 10, but since I equipped Scarlet Charisma on Remilia that isn't an issue for Sakuya and Meiling.

Fun Fact: You're not actually supposed to be able to move onto this wall. But Yukari's Spiriting Away doesn't care about little things like that, so everyone moving off the ship are basically stuck on this wall.

Fun Fact 2: You'd think that being underground would mean that Remilia wouldn't have to equip a Parasol, but you'd be wrong. All the stages still count as Day.

Deploying off the ship is actually kind of annoying for Chen and Suika, since it makes it so they can't change their altitude for this turn. I was planning on landing the two of them, but that'll have to wait.

And of course that means Suika's accuracy rates plummet.

Enemy phase of turn 2 sees something truly rare in this game: Yukari doing something besides her Team Attack.

Like I mentioned earlier, none of my team can make it the floor. They'll need to get back on the ship and be rewarped.

So a petite girl like her is the ruler of the Palace, huh.

I thought someone so important in the Underworld would be some big tough lady or something.

Don't let your guards down. What makes her terrifying isn't brute strength. I'm guessing that eye on her chest is the key to her power.

So you've noticed then. Yes, this third eye lays bare your hearts. It's a dangerous power, one that frightens even the Underworld youkai.

So even the people everyone hates hate you~

Are you saying that in terms of being troublesome, it stands above everything else?

Oh, you'll learn to fear it too, soon enough. Having a third eye is true strength. Allow me to demonstrate.

Music: the eyeline

Satori is a total wimp.

Her big trick is that she has Mind Reading L9, which in SRW terms is pretty much Cyber-Newtype. That is to say, it's an inferior version of Shrine Maiden. It does have one quirk though: Satori will automatically cast Alert at the beginning of every turn.

Fun Fact 3: In the early version of this game, teams punched right through Satori. See, Team Attacks counted as a separate attack. So the backrow character would pop Satori's Alert, and then the front would smash her. This was patched out, but was pretty drat funny.

Okay, time to get down to business.

I clean up the remaining grunts to help my characters build up some more Power,

then pop the Alert with Cirno.

Satori has crazy Hit/Evade rates (with the former boosted further by her field, which drops allied evade rates by 30%), but I'm swimming in SP right now so I don't care!

Alice is in range now, so Hourai Dolls will be on Alert popping duty.

A couple good hits later and Satori is down for the count.

...So that's it then.

Huh, didn't think that'd be so easy.

She said she could read our minds, but all she did was shine us with this strange light.

Perhaps you should have called for the rest of your servants? Though if they haven't come running on their own by now, maybe they're not that loyal to you?

...While it is true that I haven't seen either Orin or Okuu recently, that has nothing to do with you.

More importantly, did you really think I was being pushed back?

What are you-?

I've already examined the furthest reaches of your minds. Why don't I help you remember, nice and slowly?

...Oh no, she spent that time peeking into our minds! That light from earlier had an unusual wavelength. It must have been some kind of hypnotism!

It's too late to realize that. You've already shown me the danmaku engraved on your heart. I'll help you relive your worst fears!

quote:

Recollection "Kappa's Pororoca"

:toot:

This is the fun part about how Satori is implemented in FMW; in the source game her spellcards changed depending on your player character, and likewise here she has different spells depending on what route you're on. But she specifically goes for the spells that the average player probably hated the most, as fitting her gimmick. On Marisa's route she brings back the infamous "oh you didn't equip any Five-colored Shells? Well gently caress you!" Kappa's Pororoca, and on Reimu's route she declares "are you out of SP after that meatgrinder of a stage? Well gently caress you!" Illusionary Dominance.

Been a while, Satori.

Suika Ibuki...? I see, I didn't know you returned to the surface.

...So you planned to try establishing a relationship with humans again, even if you only got a new trauma for your efforts.

If you're afraid of getting hurt, forget humans, you won't get along with anyone.

But more importantly, bring Orin out would ya? I'm here on an investigation after all.

So even YOU think she's behind this... Let me assure you, Orin would never do something so dangerous. As a fellow Underworlder, please remove yourself from these premises.

Kappa's Pororoca still has its "everyone is now underwater" effect, but I have characters who can actually attack underwater now so I'm fine. Oh, and the Pyonta.

The animation just suddenly summons in the original character, nothing fancy.

Are these the kappa we fought on Youkai Mountain?! Why are they here...?

Aren't they probably just part of the spellcard's trauma too?

They're just fakes, so feel free to give them a good thrashing.

E-Easier said than done...

The spawned in grunts will disappear once the spell is over, but two are holding 10,000 points. Satori goes down super fast already, I have the time to kill them.

...You seem to be carrying quite a dark and heavy trauma. You deeply regret your own actions, and constantly dwell on what you should have done.

!

And yet even so, you ally yourselves with your former companions. Is the purpose of your actions that you seek forgiveness?

...No matter what I do now, I doubt I'll ever be forgiven. I don't have the right to judge my own actions. And because of that...!

Satori's hold item, the Rainbow Fragment, gives her A ranks in all terrain. So the water doesn't bother her.

I-isn't this MY danmaku...?!

Correct. This danmaku left a strong impression in the hearts of your companions. And it seems to be stirring your heart up as well.

Wh-Whatever! I made up with Marisa and the others! I'm not going to lose to bad memories!

But do you have the conviction to back those words up? Let's find out.

...It's kind of sad how Satori hits harder with Nitori's attack than Nitori does.

You carry some very complex memories. I have no desire to sort them all out but... Even though you took up arms against so many of your brethren, you don't seem to carry any trauma about it at all.

Back then, I made a decision that I judged to be just. I have no intentions of changing my mind on that, even now.

There is only one thing I truly regret, and I intend to atone for that crime for eternity.

Atonement, hmm...

Since Eirin traps the target in another dimension during Astronomical Entombing, it has A ranks in all terrains. :v:

Phew, we made it through.

Wow, so this is what my danmaku looked like to everyone else...?

She even managed to convey how desperate you were back then.

You might have been able to withstand THAT trauma, but if you wish to flee, then now's your last chance. There is no hostility or dark plotting worthy of suspicion going on in this place.

Maybe so, but we've heard that things have been strange at the palace recently. Does anything come to mind? Any kind of trouble?

You're referring to-

We heard about Koishi. About how things have changed ever since she sealed her power.

...I see, so Hoshiguma told you. However, I'll figure out how to deal with that myself. It has nothing to do with you people.

I'm afraid you're mistaken about that. If there's an abnormality in the Palace of the Earth Spirits, then I need to know about it.

Yukari Yakumo...

I was the one who proposed that you two sisters move to the Underworld. If a problem arises, you need to let me know, in detail.

...You seem to be serious, but we desire nothing of the sort. There is nothing in the Palace of Earth Spirits worthy of others' pity.

Someone who can't read minds could never understand us. Why don't you leave, and never come back? Never bother us again.

So cutting off all relations is your solution as the representative of the Palace of Earth Spirits?

Yes, it is. If you can't understand, then I'll simply have to drive you out by force.

She's planning to attack again!

This vivid, unforgettable trauma. Face it once more!

quote:

Recollection "And Then Will There Be None?"

Marisa's second spell is Flandre's good old "and now for something completely different" And Then Will There Be None. Meanwhile Reimu goes up against "did you use all your bombs up on Boundary of Humans and Youkai? Then gently caress you!" Boundary of Life and Death.

Sanbondo apparently realized the "force the player to do nothing but move for multiple turns on end" gimmick was really boring, because there aren't any spells like that in this game. Instead, And Then Will There Be None makes it so you can only damage Satori from that patch clear of danmaku. Just bomb and move on.

It's not exactly unconventional, but you seem to be hiding some very depressing memories. You shut yourself in your own world, and kept your distance from your surroundings...

Once upon a time, I suppose. But now I've mended. There's nowhere else I'd rather be.

You say that, but it remains a fact that nobody else can enter your world.

True, but it's also a fact that there are many other peculiar characters around me.

I'm sure that you too will soon realize who truly despises your power.

Satori's Skill is rather low, so Sakuya can easily trigger Time Paradox.

I can see it. I can see your trauma.

A-Are you talking to US...!?

...You fear the end of autumn and the coming of winter. And then, you despai-

Stop it! Don't bring back those gloomy feelings!

...It happens every year, so it wasn't a very deep trauma.

I didn't need to hear that!

I was planning to give the Akis the kill, but Minoriko missed a 98%.

I never imagined I'd fight a danmaku battle with you, Satori Komeiji.

...You don't seem to be lying. Still, this is a good change for me to learn more about you.

This incident didn't need to happen for that. I would have been happy to converse with you and improve our relationship.

...There's nothing I want to talk about. Now, hurry and leave.

I guess you guys got to see Quadruple Barrier more than twice after all.

Impossible, you broke it...

Once I've seen a spell before, I've already figured it out. The same trick's not gonna work twice.

Is that how you got interested in these incident investigations then?

...No, I'm sure you'd let yourself into the investigation regardless.

Hold on, I still haven't said you could pass.

But you're all beat up. Why don't you take a break?

I'm sure it's hard to keep reading all our minds at once. Don't push yourself.

Suddenly, zombie fairies spawn in.

Huh, what? Some girls in weird clothes showed up...

Are those the fairies who live nearby...? They don't normally come here...

...You've come to capture me? What are you-

Satori posted:

Hold on, where are you taking me?!

The fairies drag Satori off the battlefield.

Wh-What was that? They grabbed Satori and ran.

Maybe she couldn't move so they came to save her?

Why would she be resisting then?

A cat pops up on the other side of the field. Could have sworn I took a shot of it, but I guess not?

Huh? Now there's a cat...

Is it an ordinary bakeneko? No, this is-!

Music: JAJAAAN ROCK!!

Rin posted:

Tada!

Say, remember how both stages prior had two bosses?

Huh, it took on a human form?!

Didn't we fight her on the surface?

Right, that's Orin. Why did she show up now, of all times...?

Wow, you ladies sure are strong! I think I'm falling in love!

The way you were going toe to toe with Miss Satori, it wasn't really my place to barge in.

You just watched while your master was in trouble...? No matter, we have some questions for you.

We've come to investigate the spirits appearing on the surface. Satori didn't seem to know anything, but what about you, Orin?

Welp, you caught me. I did it.

Huh?! You just admitted it?

Well, living down here is... you know how it is. We need a little excitement once in a while. I sent some spirits up from the Remains of Blazing Hell right back there. Just a little prank.

So you're saying you had no particular goals then?

And you didn't stop to consider the chaos that would cause on the surface?

Of course I did, that was half the point. Kill some time and tick off the surface: two bird with one stone.

Anyway, if you wanna stop them, you'd better head to Blazing Hell. It's just a short trip if you take the front door.

So on top of calling yourself the mastermind, you're even giving us directions~.

You're obviously lying. We'll catch you and force you to tell us the truth!

(Well, it was worth a shot anyway. I was really hoping they'd get going while Miss Satori's still gone...)

(Might as well see if they've really got the power to stop Okuu though!)

quote:

Victory: Defeat Orin.

The only person with a turn left is Remilia, and she's out of SP so she may as well not have a turn.

(I wanted to leave the vengeful spirits thing ambiguous, but I guess now I've got to come out with it. I don't care what they do to me, as long as they go to Blazing Hell...)

Come at me, ladies! I'll be your opponent tonight!

I know it's thanks to Alert, but it's pretty funny seeing Orin miss a ship.

I had my suspicions, but I guess she really was the culprit.

And she just wanted to harass us too.

But is that really the reason? When we met before, she didn't seem like the sort of person who would do that.

You mean she's hiding something? Well, we'll find out once we win.

More spirits spawn in.

...! Spirits are coming in from outside!

If I hadn't warped the ship away, it'd actually be in a lot of danger thanks to being stuck right next to Orin's group and these reinforcements.

Whoops, the ones outside got in too!

...Wait, I'm picking up something else too. Whatever it is, it's far stronger than the spirits!

No way! If they come now, then-

Yami Yuugi posted:

Hold your horses, fellas!

Music: Fantasy Maidens Appear!

Yamame posted:

Figures you'd end up fighting at the palace.

So these reinforcements are here to bail players who didn't expect the second boss out.

Looks like they're up against Orin and some spirits though...

I don't see Satori or Okuu around.

Huh?! Why are you girls here?

Yo, surface dwellers! Looks like you made it here in one piece!

It's Yuugi! And Yamame, and the others! What's the occassion?

What does it look like? We're here to investigate the spirits too. I can't stand the thought of owing you people anything because of this mess.

We've got our own sense of duty, you know. We could go together or separately, either way's fine by me.

So you're all here to help us, Yamame...?

Don't get the wrong idea, we're all just worried about what's going on too.

Anyway, tell us what's going on. Looks like that Orin chick brought some spirits?

Yeah, and she told us that she's the one behind all this too.

I mean, she was pretty suspicious anyway, because she had spirits with her when we saw her on the surface too.

What?! Then she went to the surface?!

That does bug me, but we have bigger things to worry about right now. Why did you release spirits on the surface?

It's not like I put much thought into it. What can I say? I was bored. I was just messing with the surface dwellers. Satisfied? Okay, you can go home now.

After you caused all this trouble to the Underworld? Not a chance, buster.

This is what you do when you're bored? What has Satori been teaching you?

We can chat later. If she's the culprit, then let's help catch her. Parsee, you come with me. Yamame, Kisume, you two join up.

Right!

The four proceed to team up into Yuugi/Parsee and Yamame/Kisume.

My reinforcements start at 100 Power, but Yuugi is awesome so she has a quick way around that.

For the love of- could someone tell me why I'm helping out the surface dwellers?

No one's forcing you to. You wanna get off here?

I said I'd come with you, didn't I? I'm with you to the end.

But try keep your eyes on the fight, Yuugi. One slip up and we'll get surrounded.

That's what I'm hoping for! Where's the fun if we're not outnumbered?

It's just no use talking to you in the middle of a fight, is it?!

The Underworld crew will spend their time cleaning up the spirits in the back while my main force runs up to Orin.

Ugh, I can't believe it really WAS the Underworld's fault.

Are you really all right with this, Yamame? Didn't you say you'd never get along with these surface youkai?

Or have your feelings changed, just a bit?

This is just how things ended up. I haven't really thought about it.

...But it's a good chance to see how they're gonna fix this. Let's see what they've got.

Orin's field still buffs the stats of evil spirits, so they can actually put up something resembling a struggle. Which is to say that Yuugi can't quite OHKO them yet.

Apart from an extra eight levels and higher initial morale, Orin is unchanged from her previous appearance all the way back in chapter 45.

So she goes down in no time flat.

Nice job, ladies! Messing with you sure was worth it.

You're appraising us...? Please don't say I'm a cheap woman!

But your attitude back on the surface was completely different.

At the time, I thought you were being especially worried, paranoid even, about causing any friction between the surface and the Underworld.

So why are you doing things that'll get you scolded?

I do what I like. Nothing more and nothing less. If you have time to chat, maybe you should be worrying about yourselves instead.

Good grief. I guess she's not gonna give us a straight answer.

I wish she'd at least listen to us.

You ladies sure have a way with danmaku. Even the spirits are charmed! They're getting pretty rowdy! The dance of the fairies, wrapped in grudges! Enjoy it to your heart's content!

quote:

Cursed Sprite "Zombie Fairy"

This is a puzzling spell. At the beginning of every turn, all Zombie Fairies in the field will fully regenerate their HP. Furthermore, upon Orin's turn (and she will always go after the fairies), any defeated fairies will be respawned. I could see how this could be an issue if you couldn't damage Orin until all the fairies were dead, or if they were powering her up, or some kind of crazy danmaku effect,

But there's nothing like that so there's no reason to not just smash right through the spell.

I thought it was a long shot, but you really WERE behind the vengeful spirits.

I just wanted to tease you, but I guess you took it seriously, huh? You and I know each other enough by now that you can't be surprised, right?

Yeah, but I didn't peg you as the kind of girl who'd do something like this on a whim.

Still, if you say you're the mastermind, then I'm not holding back!

(...That's it, show me your strength.)

They didn't even try to edit Blazing Star's animation. I guess the Palace of Earth Spirits has a really high ceiling!

Pretty impressive of you, beating them all like that!

The way they were wriggling out of the ground was really gross...

I'm sure that was the power of grudges, corrupting their life energy!

I get the feeling that all they had going for them was guts though...

Those aren't actually zombie fairies, just regular ones dressed up like zombies. So them constantly coming back is in fact just them being really dedicated zombie cosplayers.

...They're stronger than I expected. I'm sure it'll be fine. All that's left is for them to head to the Remains of Blazing Hell alread-

The Remains of Blazing Hell? What are you planning?

Setting aside your trip to the surface, that's one whopper of a lie you're feeding us. I never thought you were the type to play pranks behind Satori's back.

!

You and Okuu have always stayed here with the sisters as their pets, right? You know exactly how complicated our relations with the surface are.

...Of course I do. Who in the world would do all this on a whim?!

Orin...?

...The surface is the place that hated Miss Satori and Miss Koishi enough to kick them out. If I could handle this on my own, then I WOULD have...!

Wait, what are you even talking about?

I changed my mind. I'm not gonna let you through until I've taken out all my anger on you!

Spleen Eater! Rip out these live youkai's intestines and eat them alive!

quote:

Malicious Spirit "Spleen Eater"

Spleen Eater makes it so my character's damage output is tied to their remaining HP; people at critical health will do nearly nothing. Also, all allied units in the skull field lose 500 HP at the beginning of every turn.

This spell is actually kind of a problem since it comes out on the last stretch of a fairly long chapter. It's actually kind of likely your characters are low on HP, thus allowing Orin to actually survive more than a turn.

You know, unless you have Dai.

I should have given Sakuya the Scarlet Soul instead of Remilia.

Speaking of Remilia, she missed her finisher and was immediately killed in return.

Not bad. You lot, be careful while you fight.

Nothing of value was lost.

Doesn't look like the SA squad will be able to finish up their end in time, but at least they got the red spirit with 10k points.

Eirin grabs the kill again. Orin drops another Cat's Tail.

It's over.

...Well done. I hate to admit it, but you're even stronger than I was expecting.

I'm still not sure if you were trying to annoy us or test us or what.

Anyway, now that you've gotten your just deserts, we're done here. Incident resolved.

You're gonna stop sending spirits to the surface right this instant.

Or maybe you'd like to tell us more about why you did it? Of course, you've continually insisted it was just a prank...

Y-Yeah, cause it was. I'll tell you where the spirits are coming from, okay?

How can we trust your word? You're coming with us.

Us too. We have our own questions for the culrpit.

Why can't anything ever go smoothly for once...?

RIP Hourai Dolls.

------

Orin and Satori put up more of a fight on Lunatic, but they basically blow their SP on Faith so they're still not a threat.

------

Let's see, now I do... this.

...Yuugi, what are you doing?

Oh, this is something the youkai sage made. Apparently it can send a letter without using any paper.

Huh. Okay, who are you writing to then?

I'm suspicious all of a sudden. Let me take a look.

Huh? I'm just asking Suika when she wants to go drink- Hey, watch it!

Sheesh, why are you even using something like thi-

You sure got quiet all of a sudden.

...Um, I don't know to use this.

Ahahahaha, you're hilarious!

D-Don't just laugh at me! Just teach me how to use this!

It's a cell phone.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 30, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Palace of Earth Spirits
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

I lured you all down here so you could stop Okuu. She's gone nuts for some reason.

...Well, this is awkward.

Ayup.

Music: Stop

...It's been quite some time since the humans left on their investigation. Since they left my familiar behind, I doubt they plan to heed my warning.

They simply don't understand. Allowing new ideas and cultures can only bring chaos to our paradise.

...If I can't obtain the cooperation of the humans, then I suppose I have no choice.

I'll have to do this myself, and show them firsthand. They must see that unnecessary elements should be purged from paradise.

------

Kisume
Personality: Cautious (Kill: +4, Evade: +3, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +2)
Personal Skills: Enhanced Bucket (Increases Armor and base damage of all attacks), Wariness (+15% to Shield Defense's activation rate)
Spirits: Guard, Grit, Cheer, Attune, Assail, Assault

A recurring theme for most of the Underworld characters is that they're actually really good for their Cost. You just probably won't use them since they join near the end of the game. Kisume is size S, but she starts with two levels of Blocking, the Guard skill, good defensive stats and a cheap Guard spirit so she can get over that. Probably her absolute main use, however, is that she's the first character since Shizuha to have Attune. And unlike Shizuha, you can tack Kisume onto anyone and get some good results.
For some odd reason, Kisume is absolutely terrible underwater.

Yamame Kurodani
Personality: Strong-willed (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Personal Skills: Spider Net (An attacked enemy can not move for a turn, limited uses), Miasma Field (at the start of enemy phase, all enemies in the eight spaces around Yamame take 1000 damage)
Spirits: Vigor, Grit, Strike, Triumph, Faith, Valor

Yamame has a good spirit selection (though she really would have appreciated Guard) and solid stats, so she can do well in either the back or front rows. Two of her attacks benefit from Shotgunning, and her Miasma Field PS encourages you to stick her nearby enemies anyway.
Pairing Kisume with Yamame is honestly kind of a bad idea since they're both Supers. If there's anyone she works well with, it's Wriggle. :v:

All Attacks
Kisume battle theme: Living in the Capital's Bucket (The Dark Blowhole)
Yamame battle theme: Upbeat Spider (The Sealed-Away Youkai)

Parsee Mizuhashi
Personality: Calm (Hit: +2, Kill: +3, Evade: +2, Graze: +1)
Personal Skills: Jealousy of the Lovely (increases damage dealt relative to the number of skills the enemy has), Grudge Returning (+15% damage to counterattacks)
Spirits: Focus, Sense, Fury, Devote, Pressure, Triumph

Parsee has the stats and spirits to be a surprisingly good Real (especially with her MAP), but if you use her it's probably as Yuugi's cheerleader. Most of her SP is going right into Devote and Triumph.
Parsee and Yuugi have an unequal friendship. :v:

Yuugi Hoshiguma
Personality: Resolute (Hit: +1, Miss: -1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +2, Ally Killed: +2, Graze: +1)
Characters Skills: Oni
Personal Skills: Bring on a Brawl (at 130 Power, unit will cast Fury at the beginning of every turn), Infight (all melee attacks +200 base damage, +10% Critical rate), As Strong as a Thousand (if the opponent is within three squares of unit, +10% damage dealt and -10% damage received)
Spirits: Mercy, Strike, Fury, Guard, Drive, Valor (51)

Yuugi basically exists to make Suika look even more pathetic. She's a 3.0 instead of a 3.5, her Large size makes it so she tanks better (and she doesn't get any accuracy debuffs thanks to Oni), she has two item slots instead of one, and her damage output is absolutely insane. Knockout in Three Steps hits ridiculously hard, and unlike Flandre you don't need to babysit Yuugi to get her to be able to use it. It's even a 2-3 attack, so you don't have to replace one of your many point blank attackers! She even casts Fury at the beginning of every turn, which is absurdly good at this stage in the game where everything is packing Prevail. Yuugi is so good I can almost guarantee that most players tossed out someone in their final party just to bring her along.
In the first version of the game, Bring on a Brawl made it so that when Yuugi attacked, both she and the enemy would automatically cast Strike and Fury. This was so hilariously overpowered Sanbondo nerfed it.

Parsee battle theme: Resounding Wailing in the Hidden Heart (Green-Eyed Jealousy, The Bridge People No Longer Cross)
Yuugi battle theme: A Single Oni Strikes as Hard as a Thousand, No Help Needed (A Flower-Studded Sake Dish on Mt. Ooe, Walking the Streets of a Former Hell)

Satori Komeiji

Rin Kaenbyou
New Attacks 2 + Subterranean Animism

For convenience's sake, I went and squished in Parsee, Yuugi, Satori, and Orin's attacks into this video.
Yes I know I forgot Kaguya's new attack.

------

I see you've stopped the game. Thank you for your hard work.

...The source of this incident was the divinely empowered Utsuho's plan to conquer the surface.

Even Kanako and Suwako, who bestowed her this power, can not understand the speed at which she has fused with Yatagarasu.

In the midst of hell's scorching flames, now is the time for the decisive battle!

Chapter 54 of Fantasy Maiden Wars I: "Hell's Artificial Sun".

We'll never allow the surface to be conquered!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 30, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks for reducing Satori to a midboss, game. :negative:

And at least Orin is nowhere as bad as she was in Subterranean Animism.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be fair, Orin's also kind of reduced to a midboss? Everyone in SA shares double duty.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well the chapter title does say you're just passing through the place. :v:

Yuugi is supposed to be the strongest person in the Underworld, and for the most part the game keeps up to that. 52's probably the toughest fight you face down there.

Also now that the vote is gone I bet page length is going to skyrocket.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Even in SA you fight Satori between two annoying Orin fights, because Orin just doesn't know when to give up.

I'll miss voting (And the three fairies), but do what you gotta.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Yuugi is rude as hell both as unit and as a person because she gets unequal bonuses from every single person she has friendship levels with.

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
You seem to have some issues with your music links for the new characters, Yuugi and Kisame's links go to Upbeat Spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Orin carrying off the character on the dynamic kill of Zombie Fairy is hilarious.

• Locked thread